Page 1 of 2 1 2
Most efficient kill shot #5984992 10/20/15 03:39 AM
M
mow Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
M
I just turned 60 this year been hunting since I was 6 years old..In my experience I have always shot for the vitals..heart lung shot..preferably double lung shot..just talked with another " old timer" and he said he aims for the neck..said he has never seen a dying deer always kills them instantly..so my question is what is your default shot..mine has always been right behind front shoulder..lung heart shot..what say you?? the interested in what you say jcb

Re: Most efficient kill shot [Re: mow] #5984997 10/20/15 03:41 AM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
With a rifle, it is the high shoulder shot. Breaks them down and haven't had one move after impact. Used to shoot behind the shoulder and while it was always a quick ending, sometimes required some tracking.

With a bow, it is always behind the shoulder.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Most efficient kill shot [Re: txshntr] #5985019 10/20/15 03:55 AM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: txshntr
With a rifle, it is the high shoulder shot. Breaks them down and haven't had one move after impact. Used to shoot behind the shoulder and while it was always a quick ending, sometimes required some tracking.

Does this break the spine? Is that why this works?

Last edited by rexmitchell; 10/20/15 03:56 AM.
Re: Most efficient kill shot [Re: mow] #5985028 10/20/15 03:59 AM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
A heart and lung shot yields the largest margin for error, making it the most ethical shot IMO.

However, I will take neck shots at close range (20 yards or less) when a clear shot to the vitals is not available.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Most efficient kill shot [Re: krmitchell] #5985039 10/20/15 04:07 AM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: rexmitchell

Does this break the spine? Is that why this works?

Yes. It breaks down both shoulders and snaps the spine. It is a high impact shot that breaks down the animal and the mobility. Most the time, the vitals are shredded from shrapnel. While I believe it to be the most efficient method, it will destroy more meat than the "boiler room" shot, but I have never had to track a deer and never seen one lost with that placement.

If you miss forward, it is the base of the neck. If you miss back, it is in the vitals. If you miss low, it is breaks the shoulders or legs. If you miss high, you missed. My 2cents

Re: Most efficient kill shot [Re: mow] #5985040 10/20/15 04:07 AM
M
maximum Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
a heart/lung or brain shot kills.
no blood pumping or brain to tell
the heart to pump kills.
shoulder/neck shots break up the
chassis and stop the getaway.

i'll benevolently allow others to use what they
want to as long as they accord me the same courtesy happy3

Re: Most efficient kill shot [Re: maximum] #5985042 10/20/15 04:10 AM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: maximum
a heart/lung or brain shot kills.
no blood pumping or brain to tell
the heart to pump kills.
shoulder/neck shots break up the
chassis and stop the getaway.

i'll benevolently allow others to use what they
want to as long as they accord me the same courtesy happy3

Won't happen, too many "my way is the right way" rofl

I have seen plenty of mishaps with all variations of shots. There are certain shots that I won't take because of the results of others. Best to leave it to each hunter to know their own boundaries and limitations though...but he asked what we thought was the most efficient shot cheers

Re: Most efficient kill shot [Re: mow] #5985068 10/20/15 05:35 AM
M
mow Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
M
Well said y'all..thanks

Re: Most efficient kill shot [Re: mow] #5985118 10/20/15 09:59 AM
8pointdrop Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Head and neck move too much. I've head shot lots of doe but over the years high shoulder is the most consistent. See a head or neck shot go wrong one time and you will think twice about it next time.

Re: Most efficient kill shot [Re: mow] #5985138 10/20/15 10:52 AM
J
JCB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
90% of the time I am a behind the shoulder broadside shot kind of hunter when it comes to deer.
10% of the time I will shoot to break down both front shoulders. I only do this with a rifle and only when tracking the deer is something I want to avoid at all costs. Blowing out both shoulders usually results in a animal that drops in its tracks but also results in quite a bit of meat loss.

For pigs I will blow out both shoulders just about every time unless I plan to eat them. Every now and then I will take a head or neck shot on one but its usually a last resort.

Never cared for neck shots and in my opinion head shots are egotistical.

Re: Most efficient kill shot [Re: JCB] #5985163 10/20/15 11:24 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: JCB
90% of the time I am a behind the shoulder broadside shot kind of hunter when it comes to deer.
10% of the time I will shoot to break down both front shoulders. I only do this with a rifle and only when tracking the deer is something I want to avoid at all costs. Blowing out both shoulders usually results in a animal that drops in its tracks but also results in quite a bit of meat loss.

For pigs I will blow out both shoulders just about every time unless I plan to eat them. Every now and then I will take a head or neck shot on one but its usually a last resort.

Never cared for neck shots and in my opinion head shots are egotistical.

The above are my thoughts exactly.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Most efficient kill shot [Re: mow] #5985185 10/20/15 11:50 AM
D
DuckCoach1985 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
Anyone ever try the ol texas heart shot?

Re: Most efficient kill shot [Re: DuckCoach1985] #5985208 10/20/15 12:05 PM
P
Palehorse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Originally Posted By: DuckCoach1985
Anyone ever try the ol texas heart shot?

Yep, on hogs. Right up the wazzoo. If you drill em straight, it drops em deader than easy credit.

Re: Most efficient kill shot [Re: mow] #5985210 10/20/15 12:07 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Your best and most ethical shot is the one you know you can't miss when taking it. And the reasons why you can't miss is for another discussion.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Most efficient kill shot [Re: mow] #5985245 10/20/15 12:31 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Hi-point of the shoulder is my shot on any deer. It anchors the deer in it tracks with zero tracking. It gets spine, neck, and/or shoulders on the deer. I have used this shot for 24 yrs now and will not change.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Most efficient kill shot [Re: mow] #5985252 10/20/15 12:37 PM
fouzman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Most efficient is to the head, but messy. I've shot a ton of deer in the neck, just in front of the shoulder. Their butt hits the ground first and I've never had one get up, but I've had some take as long as 10 minutes to die from shock. Their neck is broken, but their vitals are not.

The high shoulder is a great shot, BUT, be very careful. There is an area above the vitals and beneath the spine that will cause you a lost deer if you are a bit high or back of your point of aim. I've personally seen three deer shot this way that went down, got up and took off never to be seen again. Well, two of them anyway. One showed back up at the same feeder three days later and was killed.

If I'm shooting a big, trophy deer, I shoot them square in the center of both shoulders. They may fall or they may run, but they won't go far.

Back to the high shoulder shot, many of you have heard of Roy Hindes III (Little Roy) and his famed blood trailing dogs. Roy told me he will not even come out to try and find a deer that was shot in the high shoulder and ran off, anymore. He showed me three sets of vertebrae he had wired together from a buck that got away after being shot in the high shoulder. All three vertebrae had damage to their bottom edges from a high shoulder shot. That deer was able to get up and haul azz. Roy found him dead a few days later.

One other thing, want to take a guess on what caliber accounts for the most lost trophy deer in Texas? 7mm mag is responsible for more than all other calibers combined, according to Little Roy.

Re: Most efficient kill shot [Re: mow] #5985273 10/20/15 12:49 PM
M
Mr. T. Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
I've always shot just behind the shoulder and have never lost a deer, but after looking at the diagram, I'm thinking right in the center of the shoulder would work best and give me the greatest margin of error.

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Most efficient kill shot [Re: fouzman] #5985303 10/20/15 01:07 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: fouzman
Most efficient is to the head, but messy. I've shot a ton of deer in the neck, just in front of the shoulder. Their butt hits the ground first and I've never had one get up, but I've had some take as long as 10 minutes to die from shock. Their neck is broken, but their vitals are not.

The high shoulder is a great shot, BUT, be very careful. There is an area above the vitals and beneath the spine that will cause you a lost deer if you are a bit high or back of your point of aim. I've personally seen three deer shot this way that went down, got up and took off never to be seen again. Well, two of them anyway. One showed back up at the same feeder three days later and was killed.

If I'm shooting a big, trophy deer, I shoot them square in the center of both shoulders. They may fall or they may run, but they won't go far.

Back to the high shoulder shot, many of you have heard of Roy Hindes III (Little Roy) and his famed blood trailing dogs. Roy told me he will not even come out to try and find a deer that was shot in the high shoulder and ran off, anymore. He showed me three sets of vertebrae he had wired together from a buck that got away after being shot in the high shoulder. All three vertebrae had damage to their bottom edges from a high shoulder shot. That deer was able to get up and haul azz. Roy found him dead a few days later.

One other thing, want to take a guess on what caliber accounts for the most lost trophy deer in Texas? 7mm mag is responsible for more than all other calibers combined, according to Little Roy.

For me, this is the worst shot if you have bad shot placement. I have had to kill several deer wounded over the years with this shot. Killed them several days to weeks later. Not a pretty sight when you have a deer skeleton walking around.
I have shot the neck in front of the shoulders also. Neck shots can be iffy with such a smaller area to hit. Here is one of those clean kill or miss shots or was it?

I have shot more than a few deer with the hi-point of the shoulder and never had any issues.
For me with any shot, it is all about correct bullet placement. You hit where you are aiming and results will always be the same.

Re: Most efficient kill shot [Re: stxranchman] #5985309 10/20/15 01:13 PM
fouzman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I have shot more than a few deer with the hi-point of the shoulder and never had any issues.
For me with any shot, it is all about correct bullet placement. You hit where you are aiming and results will always be the same. [/quote]

And a fine shot it is, if you're experienced and have a solid rest. Rick shouldn't have attempted that neck shot at 300 yards roflmao

Re: Most efficient kill shot [Re: txshntr] #5985334 10/20/15 01:25 PM
S
SniperRAB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S

Take the wheels out up

Re: Most efficient kill shot [Re: fouzman] #5985351 10/20/15 01:30 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: fouzman
For me with any shot, it is all about correct bullet placement. You hit where you are aiming and results will always be the same.

And a fine shot it is, if you're experienced and have a solid rest. Rick shouldn't have attempted that neck shot at 300 yards roflmao [/quote]
That was not Ricks shot placement on the doe. That was an expert neck shooter with a great rest. His words were on the neck shot...you either kill them dead in their tracks or it is a "clean" miss. Sent this pic to him since he told me to "look for buzzards" the next week.

Re: Most efficient kill shot [Re: mow] #5985368 10/20/15 01:40 PM
S
SingleShot85 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
I would say this is the most efficient....although not always the most applicable,

not as messy but the same

Re: Most efficient kill shot [Re: mow] #5985377 10/20/15 01:44 PM
A
Aggieman775 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
A
With a bow behind the shoulder. Gun in the middle of shoulder and we sight our guns a few inches high so turns out to be a high shoulder shot most of the time and drops him.

TSmith
Re: Most efficient kill shot [Re: mow] #5985379 10/20/15 01:47 PM
A
Aggieman775 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
A
If you shoot the neck or quartering just make sure you imagine that imaginary straight line a the way through the deer so you know where to hit and not just graze them.

TSmith
Re: Most efficient kill shot [Re: stxranchman] #5985386 10/20/15 01:52 PM
K
Kenny Powers Offline
Tracker
Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Hi-point of the shoulder is my shot on any deer. It anchors the deer in it tracks with zero tracking. It gets spine, neck, and/or shoulders on the deer. I have used this shot for 24 yrs now and will not change.

Wow ive never thought about it but this is very high pecentage killshot. Very experienced this guy is. Very good info

Guns dont kill people.....bullets do.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide