Print Thread
Pig pipes? #5980123 10/16/15 12:36 PM
D
DuckCoach1985 Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
D
Built me one last night.. 5ft of 4" PVC with 5, 1/2 inch holes. Gonna anchor it with a 6.5' T-post, 2" O-ring so itll spin freely, 3' of 450lb chain connected to an eye bolt.. Do these things work ok or did I just waste $50?

Re: Pig pipes? [Re: DuckCoach1985] #5980139 10/16/15 12:43 PM
R
rickym Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
They work, but you need to add a swivel on both ends of the chain or your chain is gonna wrap up and then it won't work. When I've made them I only put three holes, 1 7/16 and 2 half inch. Having to many large holes will allow them to empty the pipe in a short time. Sometimes only a matter of days.

Re: Pig pipes? [Re: rickym] #5980420 10/16/15 03:45 PM
D
DuckCoach1985 Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: rickym
They work, but you need to add a swivel on both ends of the chain or your chain is gonna wrap up and then it won't work. When I've made them I only put three holes, 1 7/16 and 2 half inch. Having to many large holes will allow them to empty the pipe in a short time. Sometimes only a matter of days.

Was afraid of that. Might try to plug up one or two holes.

I torqued down the eye bolt with a nylock nut just enough so it rotates but doesn't wobble but it definitely still twists the chain up. I'll pick up a couple swivels today I appreciate it.

Re: Pig pipes? [Re: DuckCoach1985] #5980507 10/16/15 04:49 PM
D
der Teufel Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
I made a couple a few years ago. I put three 3/8" holes in each one, and that works fine. Unless you are able to watch them very closely (meaning get out and shoot the hogs that show up pretty quickly) you may want to slap a piece of duct tape over a couple of holes.

I have two unwritten rules:
Re: Pig pipes? [Re: der Teufel] #5980526 10/16/15 05:06 PM
D
DuckCoach1985 Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: der Teufel
I made a couple a few years ago. I put three 3/8" holes in each one, and that works fine. Unless you are able to watch them very closely (meaning get out and shoot the hogs that show up pretty quickly) you may want to slap a piece of duct tape over a couple of holes.

Man wish I had posted this yesterday!

I get out there every weekend.. you think they'll empty it out in a week with all 5 holes?

Re: Pig pipes? [Re: DuckCoach1985] #5980661 10/16/15 06:34 PM
R
rickym Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Once they have found it, yes. 3 or 4 decent pigs could empty it in 48 hours if they wanted, were really hungry and had water nearby. I have done some with 3/8 holes as well and I think sometimes having all small holes that only allow one or two kernels to fall causes the hogs to move even more, sometimes making it more difficult to get a good shot. which is why I sometimes use 1/2" holes. My favorite one that seems to last the longest and drops enough corn is 4' long one 3/8 hole at the bottom and a 7/16 hole in the middle on the opposite side, and a 7/16 hole at the top on the same side as the 3/8 hole.

Re: Pig pipes? [Re: DuckCoach1985] #5980709 10/16/15 06:59 PM
D
der Teufel Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
My experience with pig pipes is that, assuming I'm putting one in a new location or refilling one that's been empty for awhile, the hogs typically take several days to find it. Once they discover the pipe and that it's full of corn, they empty it within five nights. These are 4" diameter pipes 5' in length with three 3/8" holes equally spaced around.

Sometimes a sounder shows up, with the larger sows pushing the pipe around and the piglets following, and sometimes a single boar comes and claims the pipe. He will run any other hogs away, but he'll usually stay for several hours. If it's a large boar, often he'll arrive between midnight and 2:00AM and stay until it begins to get light. This is where a game camera is useful. If a boar is coming in and staying until almost dawn, I just set my alarm for about two hours before sunrise and go after him. In the past I would put a battery powered motion light with a solar charger out with the pipe. These days I just take my Photon NV scope.

I actually haven't been hunting over the pig pipes lately, because there are so many hogs in the area that I can almost always get one at dusk or dawn just by waiting next to a large pasture. That may change now that deer season is here. The additional hunters may make the hogs more skittish. Also, there are more feeders filled with corn this time of year providing the hogs with more dining options. We'll see . . .
--

Re: Pig pipes? [Re: DuckCoach1985] #5980729 10/16/15 07:14 PM
J
Jimbo1 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Another trick for the pipe is to add some gravel thats larger than the holes so if they do empty the corn they hear the gravel inside and still hit it. Also dig a couple of holes and bury some corn, that'll keep them around for a while too.

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: Pig pipes? [Re: DuckCoach1985] #5980738 10/16/15 07:18 PM
Y
YellowDog Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Y
I built a false chamber in my piggy pipe for gravel. Sound like corn is still in the pipe.

Born to Hunt/Fish
Re: Pig pipes? [Re: DuckCoach1985] #5980855 10/16/15 09:04 PM
W
Wader Offline
Tracker
Tracker
W
Tricks from years of running hog tubes:

1) Once the pigs have found the pipe, 1 1/2" hole is enough, and even then they can empty it in a single night!

2) Don't fill the pipe directly, add a little corn, fill a coke or water bottle that fits in the pipe with corn and add it to the pipe without a lid, add more corn and and another bottle... repeat until tube is full. This makes it significantly harder to get all the corn out. One bottle with a lid and gravel is a good idea.

3) Once the coons and squirrels find your pipe they will chew the holes out big enough to get a their hand in. Use metal flashing with a hole in it to cover the old hole and some 3/8 or 1/2" screws to fasten it to the pipe. This also works great for covering excess holes.

4) 3-4" pipe cut in half inch slivers makes the absolute best hoops around t-posts.

5) Make sure you drive the t-post past well past the spade.

6) Hogs absolutely do not care about a couple of $10 solar spotlights from wally world mounted on t-posts just outside the radius of the tube circle. Set one to each side of your shooting lane.

7) If you add any sweet powder to your corn, you run a really high risk of having ants all around your tube the next time you fill it.

8) Don't glue on any fittings to your tube, use screws so you can easily disassemble WHEN something breaks.

9) Don't put hen scratch in your tube or the milo will grow sow tall you can't see your tube. Don't ask me how I know. whistle

10) A 6"x8' tube lasts a good long while, but is a pain in the fanny to fill if you don't have a truck bed to stand in.

11) Mice can fit in the tiniest holes.

12) A pipe that comes loose can be a nightmare to find.

13) Do your best to keep corn in the pipe, pigs will hit it like crazy when it rewards them, but will drop it like a rock when it stops.

14) Pigs will often come back within 15 minutes of you dropping one, especially if you drop mama first.

-ww

Originally Posted by Robert A. Heinlein
A thousand reasoned opinions never equal to one case of diving in and finding out.
Re: Pig pipes? [Re: Wader] #5980909 10/16/15 10:07 PM
M
mikei Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted By: Wader

1) Once the pigs have found the pipe, 1 1/2" hole is enough, and even then they can empty it in a single night!

2) Don't fill the pipe directly, add a little corn, fill a coke or water bottle that fits in the pipe with corn and add it to the pipe without a lid, add more corn and and another bottle... repeat until tube is full. This makes it significantly harder to get all the corn out. One bottle with a lid and gravel is a good idea.

3) Once the coons and squirrels find your pipe they will chew the holes out big enough to get a their hand in. Use metal flashing with a hole in it to cover the old hole and some 3/8 or 1/2" screws to fasten it to the pipe. This also works great for covering excess holes.

4) 3-4" pipe cut in half inch slivers makes the absolute best hoops around t-posts.

6) Hogs absolutely do not care about a couple of $10 solar spotlights from wally world mounted on t-posts just outside the radius of the tube circle. Set one to each side of your shooting lane.

7) If you add any sweet powder to your corn, you run a really high risk of having ants all around your tube the next time you fill it.

8) Don't glue on any fittings to your tube, use screws so you can easily disassemble WHEN something breaks.

9) Don't put hen scratch in your tube or the milo will grow sow tall you can't see your tube. Don't ask me how I know. whistle

10) A 6"x8' tube lasts a good long while, but is a pain in the fanny to fill if you don't have a truck bed to stand in.

13) Do your best to keep corn in the pipe, pigs will hit it like crazy when it rewards them, but will drop it like a rock when it stops.

14) Pigs will often come back within 15 minutes of you dropping one, especially if you drop mama first.

-ww

I've been running hog logs for about 8 years, and everything wader says is true.

Re: Pig pipes? [Re: mikei] #5981070 10/17/15 12:46 AM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
cheers some good tips flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Pig pipes? [Re: Wader] #5981257 10/17/15 03:44 AM
B
blackcoal Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B

-ww

Good post

The Greatest Enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge.--Stephen Hawking
Re: Pig pipes? [Re: Wader] #5981474 10/17/15 01:45 PM
D
DuckCoach1985 Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
D

-ww

A lot of really good tips, thanks!

This pipe is going 30 yards from the house on our ranch. We used to have a feeder there to catch late night pigs without disturbing our deer feeders. We could just sit and watch tv till we heard them. I think this would work pretty good for that. There's a Mercury light that's at least 25 years old right there and lights it up perfectly.. Hogs are used to it. Gonna give it a shot!

Re: Pig pipes? [Re: DuckCoach1985] #5981636 10/17/15 05:45 PM
D
der Teufel Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: DuckCoach1985

This pipe is going 30 yards from the house on our ranch. We used to have a feeder there to catch late night pigs without disturbing our deer feeders. We could just sit and watch TV till we heard them. I think this would work pretty good for that. There's a Mercury light that's at least 25 years old right there and lights it up perfectly.. Hogs are used to it. Gonna give it a shot!

If it's that close, get a cheap 'driveway alert' system that will let you know when something is at your pipe.

Re: Pig pipes? [Re: DuckCoach1985] #5981997 10/18/15 01:04 AM
W
Wader Offline
Tracker
Tracker
W
Originally Posted By: DuckCoach1985

This pipe is going 30 yards from the house on our ranch. We used to have a feeder there to catch late night pigs without disturbing our deer feeders. We could just sit and watch tv till we heard them. I think this would work pretty good for that. There's a Mercury light that's at least 25 years old right there and lights it up perfectly.. Hogs are used to it. Gonna give it a shot!

You are most welcome. I have use a few jingle bells from the hobby store on the end of the tube, but they get sand and mud in them after a while. I put a couple of cow bells on the t-post with the tube and it worked pretty well. I really liked it when I was on a place with multiple tubes a 1/4 mile or so apart because it gave some warning when they were in the area.

-ww

Originally Posted by Robert A. Heinlein
A thousand reasoned opinions never equal to one case of diving in and finding out.
Re: Pig pipes? [Re: DuckCoach1985] #5984039 10/19/15 06:10 PM
D
DuckCoach1985 Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
D
Here's my setup. It's about a 30 yard shot from the house (double wide in the background) Filled the tube, also filled 3 plastic bottles with corn and stuffed them in. Tube took about 40lbs of corn, scattered the rest around the t-post and the pipe to help them figure it out.

Looking at the pic I just realized I forgot to cap the post so they cant lift the chain over the top.. hope it's still there this weekend!!! hammer bang

Re: Pig pipes? [Re: DuckCoach1985] #5984778 10/20/15 02:01 AM
Ramsey Online Content
Pepe' Le Pew
Online Content
Pepe' Le Pew
Its called a pig pipe, but I have had bear deer and coyotes come to them. Yotes were due to the other animals

Big Beckett!!
Re: Pig pipes? [Re: DuckCoach1985] #5984796 10/20/15 02:07 AM
R
rickym Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Weld or wire tie a 6" piece of rebar or something to it. I've never had one lifted off the post but my 6 1/2 post stick up 4 1/2 feet and I usually use 4 feet of chain

Re: Pig pipes? [Re: DuckCoach1985] #5984922 10/20/15 02:56 AM
D
DuckCoach1985 Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
D
That's a 6.5 ft post about 4 ft out of the ground with 3ft of chain.. Maybe it'll be ok

Re: Pig pipes? [Re: DuckCoach1985] #5984930 10/20/15 03:00 AM
R
rickym Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
It should be fine up

Re: Pig pipes? [Re: DuckCoach1985] #5985000 10/20/15 03:44 AM
D
DuckCoach1985 Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
D
That piece of PVC at the base of the t-post is 1ft. Figured it'd make a good spacer to keep the chain above the grass. We have pretty thick coastal. Don't know if it'll help hurt or neither but seemed like a good idea at the time

Re: Pig pipes? [Re: DuckCoach1985] #5985679 10/20/15 05:09 PM
O
OffCoor1 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
O
This post is awesome !!! Lots of GREAT information right here !! Thanks, fellas

Re: Pig pipes? [Re: DuckCoach1985] #5985865 10/20/15 07:07 PM
R
rickym Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
It probably only needs to be 6" but once they find it and use it a bit you can take if off. You'll have a dirt patch with a little short grass. May want to mow a shooting lane to the house if it's that tall

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide