Page 1 of 2 1 2
Learning how to hunt as an Adult #5980442 10/16/15 04:05 PM
M
MathGuy06 Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
M
Hey guys, I've been looking all over for info on this topic. I can't find too much.

I want to learn how to hunt and go hunting. I've never been hunting. I don't really know anyone that goes hunting.

Do you guys have any advice for me? ANY advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

Re: Learning how to hunt as an Adult [Re: MathGuy06] #5980445 10/16/15 04:08 PM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Hunters safety first and foremost.

Re: Learning how to hunt as an Adult [Re: krmitchell] #5980452 10/16/15 04:11 PM
E
esnow74 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
E
Originally Posted By: rexmitchell

yes, start there then maybe hunt with an outfitter for a doe or hog hunt to get the first animal under your belt with someone experienced.

Re: Learning how to hunt as an Adult [Re: MathGuy06] #5980465 10/16/15 04:20 PM
syncerus Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Hog hunts are cheap, high success, and low stress. Next, graduate up to doe hunts, which are very similar. Pick hunts where field dressing is included so you can see how it's done in real life and then watch videos on Youtube for some hints and tips. When you are successful, and you will be, take your game to a good processor, like Kuby's, so you can enjoy the results of your hunt.

So .. hunter's safety course is #1. Next question, have you done much shooting or is that new territory also?

NRA Patriot Benefactor & DSC Lifer
Re: Learning how to hunt as an Adult [Re: MathGuy06] #5980471 10/16/15 04:27 PM
D
Dalee7892 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Learn about the firearm that you will be using, gun range time, dry fire practice at home. Pick only one firearm until you can advance. A 22, shotgun, rifle, bow etc. get the education along with Hunter Safety, then advance to the outdoors.
We all had to learn step by step. I don't know your knowledge of firearms.

Re: Learning how to hunt as an Adult [Re: MathGuy06] #5980499 10/16/15 04:46 PM
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Be safe, have fun.

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Re: Learning how to hunt as an Adult [Re: MathGuy06] #5980503 10/16/15 04:48 PM
R
Ringman Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
Hunter's safety - which has good basics for gun safety.
Before you invest in firearms, I suggest you find a gun range in your area.
There are some real good indoor and/or outdoor ranges. Along with classes in gun safety and operation, you can rent guns to try before you buy. They also can give you a list of folks that provide training for all types of shooting interests.
Get some range time to improve your skills at shooting and then book some inexpensive hunts (as others mentioned, hogs are a good start).
Don't be shy about telling folks that you lack experience. My opinion is that most people in the shooting sports are happy to help out when people are interested in learning. Most run out of patience when people act and talk like the already know everything.
Be safe and enjoy.

Re: Learning how to hunt as an Adult [Re: krmitchell] #5980560 10/16/15 05:29 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: rexmitchell
welcome

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Learning how to hunt as an Adult [Re: MathGuy06] #5980584 10/16/15 05:40 PM
M
MathGuy06 Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
M
My apologies, I should have provided more detail.

I'm very busy with life right now (two young kids), so trying to do some long term planning right now.

I've shot handguns, shotguns, and some rifles. I wouldn't say I have had any training who REALLY know what they were doing. So yes, I will need A LOT more practice before I ever went hunting. My old hobby is brazilian jiu-jitsu and my current hobby is lifting weights, so I understand how important "getting your reps in" when learning a new skill.

Thanks Ringman, I was going to ask about getting training for shooting. Sounds like going to the shooting range and talking to people is the way to go.

Thanks to everyone for their advice. I greatly appreciate it. Sounds like hogs and then Doe would be the way to go.

What would a good starter rifle?

Re: Learning how to hunt as an Adult [Re: MathGuy06] #5980593 10/16/15 05:47 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
You will need a Hunter Safety Card.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Learning how to hunt as an Adult [Re: MathGuy06] #5980618 10/16/15 06:02 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
welcome

Get involved with shooting and any hunting organizations if you have the time. As with anything, best way to learn is by having a mentor or mentors whom you can learn from.

If you can afford something in the $800-1000 range, a nice Remington 700, Winchester Model 70 (or something similar) in .270 Win. or .30-06 caliber with a nice Leupold Vari - X2 variable power (3-9X, 4-12X or similar) on top will be a good "starter" rifle that will also be a good "finisher" rifle that will last your entire life.

The question of what rifle and caliber to get has a million answers. As with everything starting out, the best advice is to keep it simple. Even those of us hunting for 45 years finally realize that is usually still the best advice.

Last edited by Nogalus Prairie; 10/16/15 06:04 PM.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Learning how to hunt as an Adult [Re: MathGuy06] #5980635 10/16/15 06:18 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Make some friends that hunt. Hunting alone is like playing golf alone. Not that much fun but better than nothing.

Re: Learning how to hunt as an Adult [Re: MathGuy06] #5980679 10/16/15 06:43 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
welcome ta THF... flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Learning how to hunt as an Adult [Re: MathGuy06] #5980706 10/16/15 06:59 PM
syncerus Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: MathGuy06
(snip)

I was afraid you'd ask this, so I'll offer this suggestion. Buy one that fits you well and has cheap and plentiful ammo; if Wal-mart doesn't carry the ammo, then get something else. More specific suggestions get complicated in that I don't know how much you want to spend, whether you want a one-gun-does-everything rifle or if you are willing to get two or three rifles over time. Also, be sure to budget for a quality scope; it's not optional.

The sound bite answer is to buy a Remington 700 in .308, assuming you can find one that fits you and that you can afford.

Re: Learning how to hunt as an Adult [Re: MathGuy06] #5980822 10/16/15 08:31 PM
R
redfred Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
A good way to get into hunting is to go where the hunters are - shooting ranges, sporting goods and outdoors stores, gun shows. Strike up a conversation and let them know you're just getting started, and if they are like most hunters I know, it will open the gates. You will definitely get pointers, and if you're lucky, maybe an invitation to tag along on a hunt. Don't expect trophy bucks, get the experience you need shooting small game, does, and pigs. If you prove to be a good sportsman and good listener, you will probably get invited back.
As far as a starter rifle, I'd go with a .30-06, .270, or .308, but you can get a hundred answers here, everybody has their favorite. Whatever you get, practice with it, not only sitting at a bench, but in situations like you would find hunting, standing, sitting, kneeling, etc.
As for me, I used to hunt a lot when I was a kid, but about the time I went to college, my Dad (and hunting partner) passed away, I got married and had kids, and got busy with all that entails. I didn't pick up a gun for 30 years. A few years ago, I got a chance to shoot a buck at my boss's ranch and it lit the fire for me all over again. I don't have a lot of money to put into hunting, so I have a few used guns and a Public Hunting license, so I can spend some time outdoors without going broke. I have a few friends that have invited me to hunt on their property, to hunt does or pigs.
Anyway, welcome to the forum and I hope you get the chance to hunt soon.

Alcohol,Tobacco, and Firearms. Should not be a government bureau. Should be a department store.
Re: Learning how to hunt as an Adult [Re: MathGuy06] #5980837 10/16/15 08:43 PM
M
MathGuy06 Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
M
Wow......Thanks to everyone for all the great responses. I'm glad this forum was so welcoming to me. I guess I will have to stick around now ..... smile....

Re: Learning how to hunt as an Adult [Re: MathGuy06] #5980923 10/16/15 10:33 PM
D
Dalee7892 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
It's like a box of chocolate, ya never know what u goin to get.
Welcome to THF.

Re: Learning how to hunt as an Adult [Re: MathGuy06] #5980950 10/16/15 11:12 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Keep in mind that hunting requires knowledge and skill in multiple areas. First, you want to learn about shooting and/or archery. Next, you want to learn about the behavior of the animal you're after so you can put together a plan that gives you the best chance of harvesting one. And finally, good woodsmenship skills will help keep you comfortable and safe it all types of weather conditions, even when you find yourself hunting in an unfamiliar area.

I would suggest paying a visit to your local public library where you should find some good books for beginners. You'll likely find one that will include information on all the areas I mentioned earlier. As for magazines, I'm a long time reader of Deer and Deer Hunting because just as the title implies, it covers both deer behaviors and hunting tactics and methods.

Good luck!!

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Learning how to hunt as an Adult [Re: Texas Dan] #5982043 10/18/15 01:48 AM
J
John Humbert Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
Keep in mind that hunting requires knowledge and skill in multiple areas. First, you want to learn about shooting and/or archery. Next, you want to learn about the behavior of the animal you're after so you can put together a plan that gives you the best chance of harvesting one. And finally, good woodsmenship skills will help keep you comfortable and safe it all types of weather conditions, even when you find yourself hunting in an unfamiliar area.

I would suggest paying a visit to your local public library where you should find some good books for beginners. You'll likely find one that will include information on all the areas I mentioned earlier. As for magazines, I'm a long time reader of Deer and Deer Hunting because just as the title implies, it covers both deer behaviors and hunting tactics and methods.

Good luck!!

I think this a very good response. But I'll take a different rack:

Why do you want to hunt? Hunting has lots of benefits and disciplines.

Are you interested in getting meat? Proficiency with firearms? Outdoor experience? The thrill of the harvest? Getting interactive with nature/animals? Comraderie of hunting camp/others? The challenge? Most hunters have a combination of all these factors/disciplines - but not always in the same mix or proportions.

This is why you have some guys get into bow hunting, long range shooting, trophy hunting, exotics, meat hunting, etc.

And your interests can change over time.

The shooting part is this easiest, really. It doesn't take much practice to be able to make a reasonable kill zone shot. The difficult part is finding a place to hunt and the cost. Hog hunts are popular and affordable. Exotic meat hunts aren't too much more. Whitetail hunting gets expensive very quick. From paid hunts to leases.

Once you get your safety stuff out of the way, and spend some time at the range, the best thing is to make some friends who are hunters - you can do that right here. Other than bird hunting, hog hunting is great way to get experience on live animals.

The most important thing you will learn - best from an older, more experienced Hunter - is the ethics behind the sport. Learning how to pick your shots, not be a shoot-em-up, and developing a one-shot, one-kill humane harvest.

I -we all -welcome you to the sport. We need more hunters. But we don't want unethical jerks - not implying you are - but most/best hunters are usually those who get into the sport under the wing of a dad/parent, grandfather, older brother, etc who teaches all these "intangibles". It's hard for an adult to get this experience without a mentor.

I, and I'm sure others here, would welcome a chance to provide this if you are willing to learn. Having a buddy on your first hunt is beneficial to offer advice like, "no, don't take that shot", or "there's a good animal to take", "breathe and squeeze". Plus, it will be much more enjoyable to share the experience.

Re: Learning how to hunt as an Adult [Re: MathGuy06] #5982187 10/18/15 03:41 AM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Well said Mr John Humbert, Well said indeed.

the only advice I'd offer is to gain the necessary field skills is to take up the same sport that folks used to start their yourng men with...squirrel hunting.

SUCESSFUL Squirrel hunting will begin to teach you the finer arts of woodsmanship albeit directed as a specie specific..but the skills are tranferable to big game hunting or other forms of rifle hunting. Squirrel hunting is fairly inexpensive compared to deer hunting, needing only a scope sighted mid priced quality & I much prefer a bolt action rimfire here rather than a semi auto Spray & Pray kind of 22lr rifle and a pair of mid range binoculars, plus of course some rough wear clothes and waterproof boots...with enough field position or off hand shooting practice to consistently make 50/60 yard 1 1/2"-2" diameter head shots and a TPW $48 Type II Hunting Permit to be able to hunt public ground plus the usual Hunting License. Then graduate to cottontails and other vermin type game critters of opportunity in the winter and longer shots while you hone your stealthy still hunting skills on the same Type II hunting grounds....then some 100 yard shots with the 22lr that will prepare you for 200-300 yard shots on bigger game with a centerfire rifle.

Patience, learning field lore ie where to look for what kind of critter based on what they eat, where they sleep etc and ID of footprints & other animal sign, and continual distance estimation & confirmation in the field can make a walk in the ungroomed parts of a city park very interesting even without a gun in your hand. Have fun gaining the new Natural World knowledge and the harvesting part will come much easier than you think and is certainly more interesting than sitting in a box blind staring at a corn feeder 100 yards away that was placed by some other guy who knew as little as possible....just that deer are "supposed to come to corn feeders 'cause the guy at the store said they would"...sometimes they do...snd lots of times they don't. You need to know why that happens and what to do about it, if anything. You can't read your way to this knowledge....you need to get out of the civilized world and inot the the Natural World to smell, touch, see, hear what ALL the critters are doing and talking about...but it helps tons to be familiar with what others have learned and make a living sharing that knowledge from commercial How To Books that can be found at used book stores and similar outlets.

Yes it helps tremendously if you have an experieced mentor...but I didn't and didn't start hunting until my late late teens and early 20's. It is never too late to learn a new skill if you keep an open mind and an eager curiosity about Mother Nature. You'll find out the truism of "The Only Dumb ?? is the one you didn't ask". Everybody's got a Nose and an Opinion, pretty soon you recognize reality from fantasy.
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: Learning how to hunt as an Adult [Re: MathGuy06] #5982207 10/18/15 03:58 AM
syncerus Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
"Everybody's got a Nose", LOL! Isn't that the truth?

This thread is far more sensible and supportive than I expected. Once again the Forum has exceeded my expectation. Well done. The only thing I can add to the good advice on this thread is this: remember that it's supposed to be fun. Don't worry about doing things "right". If you're having fun and you're legal, then you're doing it right.

smile

Re: Learning how to hunt as an Adult [Re: MathGuy06] #5982208 10/18/15 03:58 AM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Lots of wisdom and sage advise in this thread.... cheers

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Learning how to hunt as an Adult [Re: MathGuy06] #5982301 10/18/15 11:03 AM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
"We need more hunters." That's an understatement for sure. We have plenty of deer "shooters" who simply watch a feeder to see what shows up to eat, while the numbers of those who spend considerable time focusing on tactics and strategy is falling quickly. Should feeders ever become illegal as a result of a disease outbreak, such as CWD, I suspect license sales would fall like a rock.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Learning how to hunt as an Adult [Re: MathGuy06] #5982465 10/18/15 02:38 PM
S
Shawheel Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
I was in the same boat about 3 years ago. All the advice you've gotten so far is correct. There is public land near you where you can hike around and learn to look for sign. I spent a couple years "rifle hiking" with no success (i.e. kills), but I learned a ton. You'll see a lot of people on the forums say you'll get shot at if you hunt public land, but if you hike in a little and avoid opening weekend, you can go entire days without seeing another person.

Go on a couple outfitter hunts to get confidence in your shooting and learn to field dress. Make some connections on the forums and you'll find some good advice and good people.

I can PM you some book recommendations if you're interested.

I hump the wild to take it all in, there is no bag limit on happiness. -Ted Nugent
Re: Learning how to hunt as an Adult [Re: MathGuy06] #5982546 10/18/15 04:30 PM
C
chital_shikari Offline
Minor in training
Minor in training
C
Originally Posted By: MathGuy06
My apologies, I should have provided more detail.

I'm very busy with life right now (two young kids), so trying to do some long term planning right now.

I've shot handguns, shotguns, and some rifles. I wouldn't say I have had any training who REALLY know what they were doing. So yes, I will need A LOT more practice before I ever went hunting. My old hobby is brazilian jiu-jitsu and my current hobby is lifting weights, so I understand how important "getting your reps in" when learning a new skill.

Thanks Ringman, I was going to ask about getting training for shooting. Sounds like going to the shooting range and talking to people is the way to go.

Thanks to everyone for their advice. I greatly appreciate it. Sounds like hogs and then Doe would be the way to go.

What belt and I hope you haven't stopped!?!?!?!

There's a lot of "good" starter rifles. Most people on here are partial to the Remington 700, and that's a pretty great gun. Savage also makes a great gun, and Ruger's American are also at that price range (the "base models"). Then you get into mid quality M700s, Weatherby Vanguards, Browning's A-Bolt, Tikka T3, and so on. Hope that helps.

welcome

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide