Print Thread
HT timeline? #5979106 10/15/15 07:02 PM
B
BradyBuck Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
What kind of timeline would you look at for getting your dog it's HR or SH title?

I'm just wanting to set some goals.

Thinking JH/SHR by 12-18 months and HR/SH by 3 years?

Not really in a huge hurry and I think the hardest part is going to be finding time to go to the tests.

Like I said before just wanting set some realistic goals and I'm sure a lot will depend on the dog and the time I'm able to put into it.

HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded
GRHRCH Firefly's Rally The Troops MH
Re: HT timeline? [Re: BradyBuck] #5979348 10/15/15 09:37 PM
B
Birdhunter61 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
12-18 months should be pretty easy to accomplish. Double and a short blind.

Robby

Last edited by Birdhunter61; 10/15/15 09:37 PM.
Re: HT timeline? [Re: BradyBuck] #5979366 10/15/15 09:49 PM
T
triggerbowtx Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
i asked this same question on a different forum not too long ago. I got scolded about "why are you pushing the dog?" and "why do you have to have a timeline on it?" or "whats the hurry?".

But I wasn't asking because i was hoping to have the fastest HRCH/SH ever or anything like that...

I, like you, was just curious what to expect. I finally did get some answers via private message because people didn't want to publicly post their answers and also get scolded for their answers/opinions. Most of the answers I got were exactly what your expectations are but I was also told that it does vary with each dog and their skills (some mature faster than others), the trainers skills, the time put into training, etc etc.

Another interesting thing that someone pointed out to me was when the puppy was born and when the tests are... If you don't plan on traveling across state lines to go to hunt tests every weekend then most Texas hunt tests are in the spring and a few in early fall. So, if you have a puppy born in November, he probably won't be running tests next spring. And depending on how training is going he might not be running tests next Aug/Sept/Oct. So, in reality, it could be the next spring and he could be over a year old before his first test.

It's all about having fun and training with your dog and becoming a special team. There is no rush to get a ribbon just enjoy the time. I think your goals are very realistic. Good luck and have fun!

Last edited by triggerbowtx; 10/15/15 09:55 PM.
Re: HT timeline? [Re: triggerbowtx] #5979608 10/16/15 12:57 AM
P
passthru Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: triggerbowtx
i asked this same question on a different forum not too long ago. I got scolded about "why are you pushing the dog?" and "why do you have to have a timeline on it?" or "whats the hurry?".

Was it the RTF?

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: HT timeline? [Re: BradyBuck] #5979679 10/16/15 01:32 AM
M
maximumintensityretriever Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
Forget timeline but remember this. When the dog is ready for seasoned, run started. When he's ready for finished, run seasoned. When you have trained for every conceivable concept and your dog can't make a mistake in training, then run finished.

Tony Marshall
Maximum Intensity Retrievers
https://m.facebook.com/maximumintensity.retrievers
(903) 720-6842
Re: HT timeline? [Re: BradyBuck] #5979680 10/16/15 01:35 AM
B
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Thanks trigger. Yeah, I'm not trying to "push the dog to hard" heck I'll just be glad if we ever get there. Whats the problem with pushing your dog a little anyway?

I'm just wanting to set some goals and work toward them. The JH and SHR seem to be pretty easy and can't see how expecting a 12 month old dog to be able to do that would be pushing to hard.

I looked up some dates for HTs coming up. The hardest part is going to be finding time to travel to all the test sights because they mostly seem to be in north or south Texas.

Re: HT timeline? [Re: maximumintensityretriever] #5979681 10/16/15 01:36 AM
B
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: maximumintensityretriever
Forget timeline but remember this. When the dog is ready for seasoned, run started. When he's ready for finished, run seasoned. When you have trained for every conceivable concept and your dog can't make a mistake in training, then run finished.

Thanks, I will for sure kept that in mind.

Last edited by BradyBuck; 10/16/15 01:37 AM.

Re: HT timeline? [Re: maximumintensityretriever] #5980323 10/16/15 02:37 PM
T
triggerbowtx Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
Originally Posted By: maximumintensityretriever

Good answer. I have heard this several times as well. I think sometimes people are excited about their pup and they like to enter tests to see if their dog is ready (maybe they think they are or maybe they just aren't sure if they are). Many times they are ready but many times they are not ready and fail.

Re: HT timeline? [Re: BradyBuck] #5981146 10/17/15 01:43 AM
T
tthame1 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Originally Posted By: BradyBuck

I looked up some dates for HTs coming up. The hardest part is going to be finding time to travel to all the test sights because they mostly seem to be in north or south Texas.

You're absolutely right with this part. My dog was 1 year in April, and she was able to pass a junior test easily. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to make it to any other hunt tests in the spring. The tests started back up in late September and she made one more pass plus we're going to another test next weekend. She'll need 1 more pass after that, but there aren't anymore tests until spring. So, basically she could have gotten her Junior title at 12 months, but she won't likely get it until she's almost 2 because I haven't been able to make it to enough tests.

Re: HT timeline? [Re: BradyBuck] #5981157 10/17/15 01:54 AM
K
kbobbjr Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
There's nothing wrong with goals and pushing your dog. Knowing when you're pushing too hard is the key. I agree with running a level below where your dog is in training. However, I don't agree with waiting to run Finished until your dog is performing flawlessly in training. If you're dog is performing flawlessly in training then you're not training hard enough. I think what Tony meant is that your dog should be performing at that level consistently before running Finished.

Kevin Buckley
Castile Creek Kennels South
214-491-9257
www.castilecreekkennels.com
www.facebook.com/castilecreekkennels
Re: HT timeline? [Re: kbobbjr] #5981218 10/17/15 02:49 AM
M
maximumintensityretriever Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: kbobbjr
There's nothing wrong with goals and pushing your dog. Knowing when you're pushing too hard is the key. I agree with running a level below where your dog is in training. However, I don't agree with waiting to run Finished until your dog is performing flawlessly in training. If you're dog is performing flawlessly in training then you're not training hard enough. I think what Tony meant is that your dog should be performing at that level consistently before running Finished.

Yes, Kevin put the finished part a lot better than I. What I mean is that in my experience you are only going to get 75% of what you get in training at a test (if you're lucky). So that means that you not only have to be training for all of the concepts but your dog has to be performing at a pretty high level in training before you will consistently pass at the upper stakes. The last 4 venues that I have gone to have had a 30% or less pass rate at finished.

Tony Marshall
Maximum Intensity Retrievers
https://m.facebook.com/maximumintensity.retrievers
(903) 720-6842
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide