Print Thread
New to the site and hunting Texas #5978946 10/15/15 05:25 PM
I
Indyoshi Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
I
Figured I would start here by posting a hello. I have been hunting for about 10 years now. I moved to TX a few years ago and have only been hunting one time for deer as I was invited on extended family land. Had a shot at a small 6 pt, so I opted to let it go. With that said, I have been chomping at the bit and just got my annual public permit.

Im south of Houston, but plan to check out the Sam. Ive read lots of stories, "bewares", tips, etc., but I do have a few questions. Ive looked and searched, but couldnt find an exact answer, so where better to ask?

1) Here in TX there are Buck and Antlerless tags. Would an antlerless tag be used for both does and males that do not have 1" horns?
2) Can antlerless deer be taken in the Sam Houston NF with a regular permit, or only with an extra permit/antlerless tag?
3) Trying to wrap my head around the Antler size restriction. It probably is so simple I will feel like an idiot, but I dont fully get it. Does it mean for a legal buck it needs to have at least one unbranched anter OR if you measure from the inside of the farthest outside antlers it has to be at least 13"? How strict is that? If I shot a buck that its antlers went past the ears in alert position, but upon measuring the inside spread was 12.75", do I get fined at check in?
4) Someone at Academy said there is no scouting on public land, yet I read a lot about people scouting. I did see in the legend of one WMA map "No Scouting", so does it only apply to specific areas?

I am very respectful of the land and rules and want to make sure I am doing everything right. My cousin had a run in with a CO in Indiana after a misunderstanding of the tags and I would hate to be caught in a situation based on negligence.

Any tips/comments appreciated. Also, if anyone wants a partner to hunt in the Sam let me know.

Thanks,
Yoshi

Last edited by Indyoshi; 10/15/15 05:26 PM.

public hunting FB page https://facebook.com/txhuntnfish/
Re: New to the site and hunting Texas [Re: Indyoshi] #5979102 10/15/15 07:00 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Welcome. And good luck wherever you hunt. Some others on here should be able to help with your questions.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: New to the site and hunting Texas [Re: Indyoshi] #5979203 10/15/15 07:56 PM
H
Harrier Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
Originally Posted By: Indyoshi
1) Here in TX there are Buck and Antlerless tags. Would an antlerless tag be used for both does and males that do not have 1" horns?
2) Can antlerless deer be taken in the Sam Houston NF with a regular permit, or only with an extra permit/antlerless tag?
3) Trying to wrap my head around the Antler size restriction. It probably is so simple I will feel like an idiot, but I dont fully get it. Does it mean for a legal buck it needs to have at least one unbranched anter OR if you measure from the inside of the farthest outside antlers it has to be at least 13"? How strict is that? If I shot a buck that its antlers went past the ears in alert position, but upon measuring the inside spread was 12.75", do I get fined at check in?
4) Someone at Academy said there is no scouting on public land, yet I read a lot about people scouting. I did see in the legend of one WMA map "No Scouting", so does it only apply to specific areas?

1. Antlerless means does and bucks with no antlers. The reason they don't call it a "doe permit" like some states is because every once in a while you come across an antlerless buck.
2. No, you need the antlerless permit.
3. At least one unbranched antler. MAKE SURE IT'S REALLY UNBRANCHED. Or the inside spread needs to be greater than 13 inches. Yes, they are strict about this, so if it's questionable, it's best not to shoot.
4. It's possible that there's no scouting on certain public land (most likely the small, privately owned dove leases), but for big areas like Sam Houston etc., you can definitely scout. Check the areas' specifics for details.

Re: New to the site and hunting Texas [Re: Harrier] #5979404 10/15/15 10:22 PM
I
Indyoshi Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
I
Thank you for your response. I did read after posting about the drawings for antler-less permits in the Sam Hou NF. I will have to apply for that next year.

I will definitely make sure its a spike or +13 before taking a shot. I have hunted ducks, hogs, squirrels, and rabbits, but have not bagged my first deer yet. Ive had a chance on a few that I didnt take for one reason or another (one being I was frozen stiff in a tree blind in -6 degree weather in Indiana and was too cold to draw my bow), but I digress.

I know public is tough, but until that lotto ticket hits or my fantasy team on DK wins me a chunk...thats where Ill be.

Thanks again

public hunting FB page https://facebook.com/txhuntnfish/
Re: New to the site and hunting Texas [Re: Indyoshi] #5979576 10/16/15 12:41 AM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
welcome ta texasHF. Public land can be some great hunting.. Ever get up around OSBWMA give a shout... Best Wishes.. flag

i'm postaddic
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide