Forums46
Topics537,711
Posts9,728,049
Members87,036
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Hunt of a lifetime, thank you MULIE MIKE, FiremandJG, ChadTRG42 #5972696 10/12/15 02:45 AM
T
Theringworm Online Content OP
Pro Tracker
OP Online Content
Pro Tracker
T
I don't even know where to begin. This is going to be a long read but it's been right about two years in the making and it all came together for me yesterday. I have included the three parties involved all into this post because they are all a part of this story and I would not do them justice by breaking this all up. So here goes.......the hunt of a life time with MULIE MIKE.

Roughly two years ago I was mesmerized by the photos of rams Mulie Mike and his guides were connecting on. Living in West Texas, it only made sense to be a part of this. So i booked my hunt with him on the 4D South Ranch just outside of Van Horn, TX, it's souther boundary being the Rio Grande River. One of the recommendations on Mulie Mike's website is being able to shoot long distance with potential shots out to 500yds. I have hunted ever since I was 10 and have made some descent shots on game but all within 150yds. I quickly realized I was out of my realm outside 200yds. So, I convinced the spouse I needed a "long range" rifle and of course a new "long range" scope so I could even the playing field. Actually, I didn't ask permission, but instead just bought it and told here to deal with it. Once it would arrive I would be signing up for Fireman's long range shooting course. It was something I have always wanted to do and felt it would make me a better hunter/shooter down the road.

Fast forward to the first of Sept of this year. My custom HS Precision .300 win mag finally showed up in the mail. I had ordered my SB PMII 3-20 x 50mm reticle way back in March and it still had not been received from OpticsPlanet (you can read my displeasure with them on another thread). I contacted Jason (aka FiremanJG) and inquired about signing up for his course. He had an opening on Oct 1st and I took it. Mean while I contacted ChadTRG42 at Custom Reloads of Dallas to see what he could do in making some loads for me. I got my rifle overnighted to Chad and he bent over backwards for me to get loads ready prior to my range time with Jason. I was amazed at how quickly the turnaround was. We decided on the Berger 190 VLD-H's. Glad we did because it did the job.

I got to Dallas on Sept 28th late. Picked up the loads from Chad on the 29th and was out to Jason's on the 1st. Jason is a down to earth good ole gentleman. He ran me through the class portion and then got me on range. First we started with zeroing the rifle and then making a dope chart walking out from 100 out to 800 at 100 yd increments with me dialing for elevation and holding for wind. One thing we did realize is that since my rig is more of a lightweight hunting rifle with a fluted barrel, after about 3-4 shots in a row the barrel would get hot and start stringing shots. It took several to get me zeroed mainly because I was learning how to actually shoot, hold the rifle and pull the trigger (all things I took for granted before). Once we got zero, I walked out fairly quickly from 100 - 600yds. 700 & 800 were hits but not dead center so we kept shooting. Then we started back at 300 and practiced "holding" elevation instead of dialing for it. Once again Jason walked me out to 600 calling wind and elevation fairly easily. 700 & 800 were a little more challenging but we got it done even with a little stiffer 10-15mph cross wind. 58 rounds of .300 win mag down range that day. Jason spent form 0800 to 1800 with me, well beyond what the class is scheduled for. Felt like I made a new long time friend after I was done, not to mention I was a grinning from ear to ear after pulling off shots like that. I know Jason would have kept going if I wanted him to but we had accomplished a ton, it was getting late, and 58 rounds of .300win mag in one day was absolutely killing my shoulder. As I headed home, Chad from Custom Reloads of Dallas texted to see how it all went and congratulate me on the session. Very thoughtful for sure. I got the impression, and Jason verified this, that Chad almost gets more excited about the loads and how they perform than the customer does. Chad truly enjoys what he does and is damn good at it.

Fast forward to Oct 9th, it was Go Time. Headed out to Van Horn to meet Clint, one of Mulie Mike's hunting guide for the 4D South ranch. I got there a little earlier than I was supposed to, obviously I was excited and couldn't wait to get hunting. The ranch owners son met me in town and brought me the hunters cabin which turned out was essentially a huge spanish style mansion that once served as a 6 bedroom hotel way back in the day. It was a beautiful historic piece of history I am sure and was more than enough for me needs. I met Clint and we went out to dinner and talked about the game plan for the hunt. I chose this ranch to hunt on because it was well managed and lightly hunted. Mike and bet Clint that we would tag out the first day because of this. Talk about feeling the pressure. Not to mention Cint said he was 100% on giving hunters shooting opportunities on this ranch.

So, its "Hunt Day" #1. We wake up at 0515 (by my choosing lol and way earlier than necessary but I couldn't wait to get out and get going). Load up the truck and head to the ranch. We get there right before sun up. Essentially, the ranch we are hunting is a large rectangular mtn that is roughly 2 miles in length by my best guess, running North and South. The souther border is literally the Rio Grande river. We got out and glassed the entire East face of the mtn and didn't see an Aoudad one. We then drove to the North end and glassed and didn't see anything either. At that point, Clint said, "I bet they are up on top or the back Western side that is essentially a 600-800 foot cliff face. We packed up our gear and headed straight up the mtn stopping repeatedly to class arroyos, draws, etc. We zig zagged all over the top of the plateau only to find one large javelina which I declined to shoot since I have shot several on my current deer lease. A big Aoudad ram was the only thing on my menu. We finally made back to the far West cliff face, and to say it was straight down was an understatement. It was so steep you didn't dare walk up to the edge with all your gear on but rather took it all off and gingerly walked or crawled up to the edge with binocs in hand. We got to this cliff face about at the midway point when looking at it from a North to South direction. We went north first glassing below as much as we could with no success. Once we reached the northern most point, we back tracked to where we started and then would walk towards the south end. About 200 yds further south my guide Clint snuck out to a point and started to glass. "There they are" he said. 255 yds away approximately 700ft almost straight below us. Three ewes were sitting on a trail tucked up right against the cliff face. We watched them for a few and noticed once of them go around a little point. "Where there are ewe's there are rams," Clint said. "Lets move and if we can see if they are around that point". We packed up and hightailed it along the cliff face down the ridge line sneaking out to the edge periodically but could never see them. Surely they didn't get up and leave and no way they could hear or smell us as high as we were above them. Eventually we stopped and thought about it. Clint decided he would keep walking south and I would turn back and walk but up north covering both directions in case they gave us the slip. Clint had hand held radios so we could keep in touch. He said if I found them and time allowed for him to get back to me he would or if I was uncertain of the rams in the group he would speedily head back my way to help me make the right the decision. However, if I saw a shooter he trusted me to go ahead and make the shot. As luck would have it, I went right back to the spot we saw them earlier and boom, there they were. This time I could see 3 additional rams, all fairly young. I radioed Clint and told him they were still here. He turned back. By the time he made it back to my I had seen a total of 10 -12 sheep, but no real shooter. Clint got setup and we sat and watched them for 5-8 minutes. All of a sudden they started coming out from behind the point as well as we could see them sticking their heads out from what appeared to be a cave in the cliffs. And then, the moment we had been waiting for the "big daddy" jumps down out of the cave. Clint immediately said, "he is your shooter, get ready". I crawled myself as far out on the cliff ledge as I could, and wedged myself in between two rocks. I threw my pack on the rock in front of me. Asked for range, and Clint called out 255yds. I dialed to what my dope sheet called for which was .5 mil turn. Waited for him to get broadside and fired. Clint said, "miss, elevation good, but you shot in front of him to the right." I knew it cause I slapped the trigger which was a reoccurring problem I had when shooting at Jason's. Chambered another round, fired. "miss, low", Clint said. That was just a poor, rushed shot on my part. Chambered another one, focused on my breathing, checked the bubble level, fired. "Damn it", I shouted. I nailed the rock 1 foot in front of my muzzle that didn't appear in my scope. By now, the were on the run. I just knew I had lost my opportunity. I was depressed. They ran about 70 yds down the mtn and then Clint says, "they are stopping, they are stopping". I frantically break out more shells and reload. "Range" I asked. "317yds" he responds. I dial for 300yds. I finally find him in the group and a Ewe is standing infant of him from his front shoulder to his rear end. Only thing presentable is the target front shoulder, head and neck. I am now thinking in my mind, "great this is the 4th round and my barrel is hot. The 4th-5th round is when it starts stringing shots". I knew I could make this shot. I went through the motions again and pulled the trigger. This time I heard it hit. I said, "that was the one right". He said, "you thumped him, he is rolling down the mtn". He rolled 30-40 yds down. SUCCESS!!!!

Last edited by Theringworm; 10/12/15 03:17 AM.
Re: Hunt of a lifetime, thank you MULIE MIKE, FiremandJG, ChadTRG42 [Re: Theringworm] #5972699 10/12/15 02:46 AM
S
SnakeWrangler Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Great story..... up

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Hunt of a lifetime, thank you MULIE MIKE, FiremandJG, ChadTRG42 [Re: SnakeWrangler] #5972708 10/12/15 02:50 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: SnakeWrangler
Great story..... up

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Hunt of a lifetime, thank you MULIE MIKE, FiremandJG, ChadTRG42 [Re: Theringworm] #5972709 10/12/15 02:50 AM
T
Pro Tracker
OP Online Content
Pro Tracker
T
dang photos aren't loading

Re: Hunt of a lifetime, thank you MULIE MIKE, FiremandJG, ChadTRG42 [Re: Theringworm] #5972713 10/12/15 02:51 AM
T
Pro Tracker
OP Online Content
Pro Tracker
T
the rest of the story:
That was at 1:30. We quickly ate lunch up on the bluff and then came up with a plan on how to get down to him. The southern route looked to steep (and after walking past it on the way out would have been impossible to descend), so we headed back north again. We left at 2:00 and got to him by 4:30pm. The route there was steeper than it appeared from above and would not be a viable option for a hike back out. I was struggling with the heat and was starting to not feel well. Also, I knew my 3 liter camelback was getting low and I had already downed my big bottle of gatorade. Fortunately the caping and pics gave me time to recover. It was now 5:30. I was out of water, Clint had 3 left and graciously gave me one and said we would split the 3rd. Instead of going back out north we went south, knowing it was a longer route, but was right next to the Rio Grande and was flatter but more heavily brushed with mesquite trees and cat claw buses. By 6:30 we were out of water completely. We were both struggling mightily and had true signs of heat exhaustion. Me being a physician, I knew this was very real and dangerous. Yes Clint and a satellite phone so help was only a phone call away but we knew we could do this. Water was the most important thing we could do at this point but we had none. Fortunately, I put my Katadyn water filter straw in my pack and told Clint, this was our only option. I had never used it but if it does what is says it will do its all we got. I left the guide in the shade and headed down to the river. The only water I could get to in the thick brush was a stagnant mud whole full of murky water and bugs. I hesitantly pushed the bottle into the mud and let the bottles fill up with the thick murky water and then hiked back to Clint. "Here goes nothing" I said and tried it first. Surprisingly, the water coming out of the straw was clear and tasted good. We recharged and headed out. For the next 3 hours we went up and down and were eventually forced down into the extremely thick sharp brush in the Rio Grande river bottom, crawling on hands and knees and at times wading through water up to our knees to get around the southern tip of the mtn and back on the trail to the road. The Katadyn straw saved our life in my option. We used it 5-7 times when we were dyeing of thirst. At 2130, and 15.6 miles later, we made it to the truck. Beaten down, aching from head to toe, and surviving on sheer wheel power and commitment we successfully finished the hunt of a life time for both of us. Clint, my guide and new best freind was a man among boys that day, hauling out my trophy the whole way, on hands and knees, wading through water, suffering from heat exhaustion at times. He was bound and determined to get us out of there safe and sound. Fortunately both of us with different backgrounds and skills, helped us both get out safely. If someone asked me to do this again next weekend, I would not hesitate, and Clint and Mulie Mike would be my guide and outfitter. Excellent job by all involved. I am on cloud nine and am proud of the friendships I have made and the trophy that will soon sit in my home.

From hunting with the Colorado Elk group last year (Sneaky, Creekrunner, and others), to working with ChadTRG, Fireman, & MulieMike, this forum has put me in contacted with amazing people all over the state. I couldn't ask for more than that. Making memories with some amazing people all over Texas who like to hunt, shoot and enjoy the outdoors. It doesn't get any better than that my friends.

Re: Hunt of a lifetime, thank you MULIE MIKE, FiremandJG, ChadTRG42 [Re: Theringworm] #5972720 10/12/15 02:53 AM
T
Pro Tracker
OP Online Content
Pro Tracker
T

My custom HS Precision .300 win mag sporting a SB PMII 3-20 x 50 MSR reticle

Re: Hunt of a lifetime, thank you MULIE MIKE, FiremandJG, ChadTRG42 [Re: Theringworm] #5972736 10/12/15 03:02 AM
T
Pro Tracker
OP Online Content
Pro Tracker
T

Cliff where I was sitting when I shot the ram. Rio Grande River in the background

Re: Hunt of a lifetime, thank you MULIE MIKE, FiremandJG, ChadTRG42 [Re: Theringworm] #5972738 10/12/15 03:03 AM
T
Pro Tracker
OP Online Content
Pro Tracker
T

Panoramic view from the cliff ledge over the Rio Grande in to Mexico

Re: Hunt of a lifetime, thank you MULIE MIKE, FiremandJG, ChadTRG42 [Re: Theringworm] #5972742 10/12/15 03:04 AM
T
Pro Tracker
OP Online Content
Pro Tracker
T

View from below where the Ram was located looking back from where I took the shot.

Re: Hunt of a lifetime, thank you MULIE MIKE, FiremandJG, ChadTRG42 [Re: Theringworm] #5972746 10/12/15 03:05 AM
T
Pro Tracker
OP Online Content
Pro Tracker
T

Lastly, my trophy ram. A very old/mature 29inch ram with some amazing chaps and beard.

Re: Hunt of a lifetime, thank you MULIE MIKE, FiremandJG, ChadTRG42 [Re: Theringworm] #5972752 10/12/15 03:08 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Congrats on a great ram. Really good pics also.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Hunt of a lifetime, thank you MULIE MIKE, FiremandJG, ChadTRG42 [Re: Theringworm] #5972760 10/12/15 03:11 AM
T
TXSIGNGUY Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
up Great Story and beautiful rifle! Congrats....

Re: Hunt of a lifetime, thank you MULIE MIKE, FiremandJG, ChadTRG42 [Re: Theringworm] #5972797 10/12/15 03:31 AM
T
TEXASLEFTY Online Content
THF Whiskey Sommelier
Online Content
THF Whiskey Sommelier
T
Read the whole thing, congrats to you!!

Originally Posted by Chunky Monkey
Never been to a camping world. I prefer Dick's to be honest.
Re: Hunt of a lifetime, thank you MULIE MIKE, FiremandJG, ChadTRG42 [Re: Theringworm] #5972801 10/12/15 03:35 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Great story ringworm

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Hunt of a lifetime, thank you MULIE MIKE, FiremandJG, ChadTRG42 [Re: Theringworm] #5972826 10/12/15 04:05 AM
R
Ramball36 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
That's an awesome story! I got my big [censored] kicked down in comstick once chasing after them but nothing like that

Re: Hunt of a lifetime, thank you MULIE MIKE, FiremandJG, ChadTRG42 [Re: Theringworm] #5972847 10/12/15 04:32 AM
T
Texas Tatonkas Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Sounds like you did your hunt well all the way around and that is awesome! Congrats on the whole deal!

Re: Hunt of a lifetime, thank you MULIE MIKE, FiremandJG, ChadTRG42 [Re: Theringworm] #5972862 10/12/15 04:51 AM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
Great story and write up!!! Love the pictures and congrats on a great ram up

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Hunt of a lifetime, thank you MULIE MIKE, FiremandJG, ChadTRG42 [Re: txshntr] #5972914 10/12/15 10:21 AM
D
dawaba Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
A free range aoudad hunt in west Texas is the best bargain in sheep hunting anywhere. Climbing, stalking, glassing....aoudad hunting has it all. Congrats!

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple.....and wrong." H. L. Mencken
Re: Hunt of a lifetime, thank you MULIE MIKE, FiremandJG, ChadTRG42 [Re: Theringworm] #5972916 10/12/15 10:26 AM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
cheers

texas flag

Re: Hunt of a lifetime, thank you MULIE MIKE, FiremandJG, ChadTRG42 [Re: Theringworm] #5972920 10/12/15 10:34 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Great ram. I bet that was an amazing hunt.

Re: Hunt of a lifetime, thank you MULIE MIKE, FiremandJG, ChadTRG42 [Re: Theringworm] #5972924 10/12/15 10:53 AM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Way to go! Great story and a great old ram. You earned that boy. AND, you drank out of the Rio Grande and aren't in a hospital pooping your brains out. Very cool. You sir, know how to prepare.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Hunt of a lifetime, thank you MULIE MIKE, FiremandJG, ChadTRG42 [Re: Theringworm] #5972952 10/12/15 12:04 PM
A
artrios60 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
Great Story, Thanks for sharing

Re: Hunt of a lifetime, thank you MULIE MIKE, FiremandJG, ChadTRG42 [Re: Stub] #5972953 10/12/15 12:05 PM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
Originally Posted By: Stub
cheers

[Linked Image]
Re: Hunt of a lifetime, thank you MULIE MIKE, FiremandJG, ChadTRG42 [Re: Theringworm] #5972965 10/12/15 12:15 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Great story and ram. Congrats on a memorable hunt. cheers

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Hunt of a lifetime, thank you MULIE MIKE, FiremandJG, ChadTRG42 [Re: Theringworm] #5973003 10/12/15 12:50 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
great job, I had planned on a hunt with Mike, but, another medical issue has come up

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide