South Zone Doves - El Campo/Bay City Area - WTF #5958961 10/03/15 04:33 PM
T
TX_Diver Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
T
Anyone in this area having any luck?

I joined a lease that has some property near Markham, El Campo, and East Bernard and have had a horrible season so far. I've been out at least 3 times each week so far and the norm has been for me to get 1 shot opportunity each time. This morning up towards El Campo we got 0 shot opportunities.

Got some mojo's out, camo'd up, etc. I'd never hunted in this part of TX before as I was living on the New Mexico border last year but last season doing the same thing we killed it on some public land in NM almost every time we went out. Now my dog is going nuts cuz she never gets to fetch anything.

Anyone else having a similar season or am I just going to the wrong spots at the wrong time?

Cheers.

Last edited by TX_Diver; 10/03/15 04:39 PM.
Re: South Zone Doves - El Campo/Bay City Area - WTF [Re: TX_Diver] #5959076 10/03/15 06:49 PM
L
luisfigo Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L
Check different times. Mojos and camo won't make them appear. Sometimes they loaf early afternoon if you have some mesquite trees. For me they fly at the crack of down for 20 min. Shoot then or don't shoot. Hopefully yours has a sweet spot.

Re: South Zone Doves - El Campo/Bay City Area - WTF [Re: TX_Diver] #5962561 10/05/15 10:41 PM
T
TX_Diver Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
T
I've been limited in the times I can check the morning's but I've usually been there for 2 hours before sunset all the way til sunset at each spot and still no luck. Only been out once in the morning so I do need to experiment there a little more. Unfortunately work keeps getting in the way! frown

I know camo and mojo's don't make them appear (would be cool if they did though!) but threw that out there as I imagined those would be the first suggestions otherwise.

Gonna keep trying because sitting out in a dove field beats sitting behind my desk at work!

Hope everyone else's season has been good so far.

Cheers.

Re: South Zone Doves - El Campo/Bay City Area - WTF [Re: TX_Diver] #5962814 10/06/15 12:43 AM
K
kyotee1 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Hunted El Campo opening weekend, actually first 3 days and limited each time over cut milo and corn and the amount of white-wings I saw was something near Argentina or dang close. They were non-stop for 2 hours and I was only taking one bird out of each flock as to not lose them on cut stubble. Best dove hunt I had in decades.

Now, haven't been back, but not sure if they are still around with the front that hit us last week, but the feed was there for them.

Re: South Zone Doves - El Campo/Bay City Area - WTF [Re: TX_Diver] #5962835 10/06/15 12:53 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
I'm in the South Zone, but in Duval County and the white wings are THICK every evening. Morning hunts have been very slow. Best year for white wings in years.

Re: South Zone Doves - El Campo/Bay City Area - WTF [Re: TX_Diver] #5963144 10/06/15 02:48 AM
G
Gill_97 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
G
I'm hunting the same area as you are and its been crap. Birds are only around for a day and then gone before I can get out.

Re: South Zone Doves - El Campo/Bay City Area - WTF [Re: TX_Diver] #5963260 10/06/15 04:03 AM
L
luisfigo Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L
Originally Posted By: TX_Diver
I've been limited in the times I can check the morning's but I've usually been there for 2 hours before sunset all the way til sunset at each spot and still no luck. Only been out once in the morning so I do need to experiment there a little more. Unfortunately work keeps getting in the way! frown

I know camo and mojo's don't make them appear (would be cool if they did though!) but threw that out there as I imagined those would be the first suggestions otherwise.

Gonna keep trying because sitting out in a dove field beats sitting behind my desk at work!

Hope everyone else's season has been good so far.

Cheers.

This weekend was a bit better and the weather was way nicer (I am North of you though). Hopefully they will reach you soon (if not already). BTW, my comment about cammo and mojo's was a general reflection (on second reading, it read critical). I am very enthusiastic about Mojo's at the start of the season but by the end I like being mobile or am plain lazy and start leaving them at home. Yes, dove field >> work anyday. I visited the one public land around where I live: only things flying were buzzards having a snack on a dead cow a field over, but I am glad I went.

Re: South Zone Doves - El Campo/Bay City Area [Re: TX_Diver] #5964126 10/06/15 07:11 PM
S
snogeese Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
The rains a week before season messed things up in those areas. Lots of the cut milo sprouted and covered the ground with dense new growth. We had a field on our lease that had been cut and shredded that was loaded 5 days before season. Milo sprouted after rain and practically all doves left. Only been able to find one backup spot but it has been awesome, 4 limits on 4 hunts. These birds are on a bumper crop of dove weed that came up in corn and soybean fields.

Life,s better in waders
Re: South Zone Doves - El Campo/Bay City Area [Re: TX_Diver] #5964641 10/06/15 11:10 PM
T
TX_Diver Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
T
Hmmm. The mixed reviews make me feel a little better about myself at least!

Glad to hear some of you guys are getting them. Gonna keep trying because I know I'm not gonna be able to shoot any while at work!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide