Page 1 of 2 1 2
well no more #5952723 09/29/15 06:46 PM
E
Erichugh22 Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
E
Ghg decoys for me. I bought a few dozen last year, out of the box already had chipped paint. Spent a lot on a box of fully flocked greater Canada full bodies, out of the box one head was broken and none of the stupid twist on spring loaded crappy feet stands attached right. Several emails, photos and receipts sent and for months I haven't been able to get anything done about it. The last response I got was, "we will look into it and see what we can do" They used to make good decoys, my 8-9 year old decoys look better and have more paint than the new ones. So if you're planning on getting new decoys, I suggest not going with ghg.

Last edited by Erichugh22; 09/29/15 06:46 PM.
Re: well no more [Re: Erichugh22] #5952732 09/29/15 06:51 PM
B
BradyBuck Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I purchased some GHG canvasback decoys that also had some paint chips out of the box.

I bought some Avian X pintails before last season and was very pleased.

They now offer a variety of species. Thinking of purchasing some wigeon as well. I'll probably stick with them from now on.

HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded
GRHRCH Firefly's Rally The Troops MH
Re: well no more [Re: Erichugh22] #5952743 09/29/15 06:58 PM
L
LarryCopper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
I guess their quality has gone down hill. I've heard that a lot recently, but I've got some 5+ year old ones that still look good. I don't take it easy on 'em either.

Re: well no more [Re: Erichugh22] #5952747 09/29/15 07:01 PM
E
Erichugh22 Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
E
Yep I have a box of avian x I bought when they first came out, still look really good after a few rough seasons and no leaks

Re: well no more [Re: Erichugh22] #5952751 09/29/15 07:02 PM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
I am changing everything over to G and H. I had some paint problems on a dozen. Duck told me to send them back and they replaced them immediately. It is nice talking to the man that owns a place and he taking care of his customers. Old School business, take care of the problem.

Re: well no more [Re: Erichugh22] #5952767 09/29/15 07:13 PM
E
Elpatoloco Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
E
I quit buying that chinese junk two years ago.

I beat the heck out of my stuff and the GHG just cannot hang. Paint PEELS, leaks at seams and keels.

My 20 year old water keel flambeaus are tougher. Have been pleased with G&H. They will also soak up steel pellets better without sinking. My son has been known to water swat a decoy

Last edited by Elpatoloco; 09/29/15 07:24 PM.
Re: well no more [Re: Erichugh22] #5952814 09/29/15 07:40 PM
T
TTUhunter4 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
I Use GHG decoys and don't have any issues. Some of the best looking decoys on the market. I hunt 3-4 days a week every week of the season, and I use GHG decoys on every hunt. I am not unnecessarily rough on my decoys, but I definitely don't baby them, either.

The GHG paint problem is largely exaggerated, IMO. I think it's a classic case of a few people having a problem, and a bunch of guys on the various forums jumping on board and complaining with no real first hand experience.

I currently own around 14 dozen GHG decoys, ranging in age from probably 8 years to brand new, and the paint is holding up just fine. Do I have a few that have lost some Pain? Sure, but you can only drag your decoys out of the bed of your truck and throw them back in so many times before they start to wear.

"God made man, but Samuel Colt made them equal."
Re: well no more [Re: Erichugh22] #5952817 09/29/15 07:41 PM
garrett Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
GHG sucks, last good decoys they made were at least 8 years ago...get some G&H and never look back, last a lifetime up

Attention rickym, this is not a troll post, just a good hearted fun type of post
Re: well no more [Re: wal1809] #5952827 09/29/15 07:44 PM
T
TTUhunter4 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: wal1809
I am changing everything over to G and H. I had some paint problems on a dozen. Duck told me to send them back and they replaced them immediately. It is nice talking to the man that owns a place and he taking care of his customers. Old School business, take care of the problem.

G&H offers top notch customer service and paint adhesion for sure, and it is great that they are made in the USA. I just can't get over how unrealistic they look. They look like a cartoon, nothing like a real duck. For the price, I would expect to see more realistic molds and paint.

Re: well no more [Re: TTUhunter4] #5952832 09/29/15 07:47 PM
E
Erichugh22 Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
E
Originally Posted By: TTUhunter4
I Use GHG decoys and don't have any issues. Some of the best looking decoys on the market. I hunt 3-4 days a week every week of the season, and I use GHG decoys on every hunt. I am not unnecessarily rough on my decoys, but I definitely don't baby them, either.

The GHG paint problem is largely exaggerated, IMO. I think it's a classic case of a few people having a problem, and a bunch of guys on the various forums jumping on board and complaining with no real first hand experience.

I currently own around 14 dozen GHG decoys, ranging in age from probably 8 years to brand new, and the paint is holding up just fine. Do I have a few that have lost some Pain? Sure, but you can only drag your decoys out of the bed of your truck and throw them back in so many times before they start to wear.

I'm super careful with my decoys, and every single one was missing paint out of the box. Pintails, mallards, bwt, gwt, wigeon and gadwalls. Now after a few hunts, they look terrible. That's unacceptable for the price. It's not exaggerated. Maybe I got a bad batch, which is why I'm trying to contact them to get replacements, but they are not cooperating like they should be.

Re: well no more [Re: Erichugh22] #5952837 09/29/15 07:50 PM
texassippi Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Originally Posted By: Erichugh22

I'm super careful with my decoys, and every single one was missing paint out of the box. Pintails, mallards, bwt, gwt, wigeon and gadwalls. Now after a few hunts, they look terrible. That's unacceptable for the price. It's not exaggerated. Maybe I got a bad batch, which is why I'm trying to contact them to get replacements, but they are not cooperating like they should be.

I wouldn't say you got a bad batch. I bought 3 dozen last year and every single deke has chips. Some are small and minor while others are so bad I won't use them. Pretty disappointing.

Re: well no more [Re: Erichugh22] #5952851 09/29/15 07:55 PM
L
LarryCopper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
I have G&H, too. As my other die off I'll keep replacing with them, but I'm not going to replace anything until it won't work.

Too much emphasis is put on what dekes look like. Where you put them and how you hide has way more to do with killing dux. Get the ones that will last forever.

Re: well no more [Re: TTUhunter4] #5952853 09/29/15 07:56 PM
E
Elpatoloco Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
E

The last 3 batches I purchased had paint falling off of them in their individual bags before I opened them. Everything out where I live is mail order or drive 2 1/2 hours. I just kept and hunted them.

I seriously doubt that I am unlucky enough to get 3 in a row of "bad batches".

"Hot Buy" mallards were the worst decoy I've ever purchased as far as paint retention.

Cartoon Looking? They work....but Id imagine my paint chipped junk decoys would as well. I just don't like looking at them.

Buy what ya like. Avery/Ghg will never get another red cent of mine

Re: well no more [Re: Erichugh22] #5952854 09/29/15 07:57 PM
T
TTUhunter4 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Erichugh, I wasn't trying to say you were exaggerating. I apologize if it came across that way. I was saying that I think the issue as a whole is exaggerated. If the paint is chipped out of the box, that is unacceptable and I hope they take care of it for you.

I can only speak to my personal experience with the decoys, and I have had good experiences with them. I cannot speak to the customer service of GHG, as I have never contacted them.

Re: well no more [Re: LarryCopper] #5952869 09/29/15 08:01 PM
T
TTUhunter4 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: LarryCopper
I have G&H, too. As my other die off I'll keep replacing with them, but I'm not going to replace anything until it won't work.

Too much emphasis is put on what dekes look like. Where you put them and how you hide has way more to do with killing dux. Get the ones that will last forever.

This is true, obviously. Having realistic decoys isn't the most important factor in having a successful hunt, we all know being where the ducks want to be is more important than anything else. Thank you for clearing that up for anyone reading this thread who is new to duck hunting. Having realistic looking decoys sure doesn't hurt, though.

I find it funny that G&H fans accept the fact that their decoys look like a joke right out of the box, but can't stand if a little paint chips off another brand haha.

Re: well no more [Re: TTUhunter4] #5952952 09/29/15 08:43 PM
J
john paul Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
I haven't really had any problems with the paint chipping on GHG's but our decoys go out the weekend before the opener and get picked up and moved maybe 2 times a year. The main problem I have is they will just start sinking. Splitting at the seam I guess. We will have 2-3 dozen decoys every year to repair that are full of water but have no visible holes in them.

Originally Posted by garrett
I'm with GK because I like salty old dudes.
Re: well no more [Re: TTUhunter4] #5953016 09/29/15 09:17 PM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: LarryCopper

This is true, obviously. Having realistic decoys isn't the most important factor in having a successful hunt, we all know being where the ducks want to be is more important than anything else. Thank you for clearing that up for anyone reading this thread who is new to duck hunting. Having realistic looking decoys sure doesn't hurt, though.

I find it funny that G&H fans accept the fact that their decoys look like a joke right out of the box, but can't stand if a little paint chips off another brand haha.

I think they look great. You don't like this one.

Re: well no more [Re: Erichugh22] #5953022 09/29/15 09:19 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Y'all would die if you hunted in LA...those boys kill a donkey load of ducks over 2 litre bottles painted black roflmao

Having said that....it drives me crazy for my decoys to look like trash...but I would rather someone make a killer keel-less decoy that blows around in the slightest wind then one that is pretty. I don't hunt open water and normally a slough needs a lot of wind to get a keeled decoy to move around. Drake had some and I'm nursing those best I can.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: well no more [Re: Judd] #5953040 09/29/15 09:30 PM
texassippi Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Originally Posted By: Judd
Y'all would die if you hunted in LA...those boys kill a donkey load of ducks over 2 litre bottles painted black roflmao

Catahoula Lake's finest decoy spread.

Re: well no more [Re: texassippi] #5953117 09/29/15 10:29 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Originally Posted By: texassippi

Catahoula Lake's finest decoy spread.

Yes sir, one of (if not THE) coolest place I've ever hunted and I hunted it on a wet year a few years back...it was flooded into the trees and no one could use their pit blinds. Just the floating blinds you pull your boat into and then hunt out of it. Very cool experience!

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: well no more [Re: Judd] #5953159 09/29/15 10:55 PM
Guy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I think they look good...

Re: well no more [Re: Guy] #5953165 09/29/15 10:57 PM
Guy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I think it's impossible for the paint to chip on G&H decoys, it can fade, but not chip.

Re: well no more [Re: Erichugh22] #5953185 09/29/15 11:10 PM
E
Erichugh22 Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
E
Well actually I have to take back some of the negative things I said, I finally just received an email back, they are sending me replacement decoys for all of the packs I complained about, and a replacement Canada goose decoy for the head that broke off. Should be mailed out this week. I'm not as mad as I was, we will see if the paint is any better on the replacements.

Re: well no more [Re: Judd] #5953382 09/30/15 01:03 AM
B
Birdman7 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Having said that....it drives me crazy for my decoys to look like trash...but I would rather someone make a killer keel-less decoy that blows around in the slightest wind then one that is pretty. I don't hunt open water and normally a slough needs a lot of wind to get a keeled decoy to move around. Drake had some and I'm nursing those best I can.

Since you brought it up it I was looking at these. Are they like yours if so how do you like them?

keelless decoys

Re: well no more [Re: Birdman7] #5953500 09/30/15 01:47 AM
M
mohunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: Birdman7

Since you brought it up it I was looking at these. Are they like yours if so how do you like them?

keelless decoys

Or you could do like I have done and cut the keels off some decoys only to use for 1-3 inches of water. Works like a charm, takes about 1-2mph of wind to make them dance, hard to believe till you see them. Buy the lightest, cheapest ones you can find, old flat bottom Flambeaus are the best..

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide