Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics537,021
Posts9,719,480
Members86,987
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Need opinions on moving my blind...is it too late?...long post, sorry. #5952349 09/29/15 03:31 PM
M
Matt Online Content OP
Pro Tracker
OP Online Content
Pro Tracker
M
Let me begin with I own 50 wooded bottom acres in Red River county. My tractor had stayed, and still stays broken down and thus the brush has gone CRAZY!!! Because of all the brush, I had a hard time setting up any wide open views. So last year I decided to go simple. I set up a ground blind on the road through the property. Here's the blind I made.

I had it over looking a one acre clearing that the road runs through. Here's the view from the blind.

The feeder is 105 yards down the road and I saw deer EVERY TIME I sat here. The problem was they were all doe and spikes. It was like I found the nursery for yearling deer. This year I have three doe and one little spike on camera at the feeder twice a day. I have seen them there every time I go to the place. So, I know these deer are there. Fun to look at...but nothing really to shoot.
Now, this last weekend I get a call from one of my neighbors who knew that I was having trouble with the brush explosion. He told me that he was doing some work near the place and he could help clear some of the thick stuff and could open up a nice clearing for me. I have been wanting to get this done for a while, but money, equipment failure, life, etc. got in the way and it just never happened. Well, here was the chance and I wasn't going to miss it. I told him to go ahead. He was clearing an overgrown clearcut that was around the corner from where I'm set up now. I haven't been out there yet to see exactly how it looks, but he did send this pic.

I might be wearing rose colored glasses, but I see this as beautiful!! This leads me to my question. With this newly cleared field, should I move my feeder and blind to this new field in hopes of seeing fresh deer? Or, is it too close to the season, and I should leave everything alone and hope that the little pet deer, that come twice a day, draw something of size in?
I know it's impossible to answer definitively. I'm just looking for opinions.
Thanks!!
Matt

The psycho nut bags have always been there. They just get better press now.
Take away their guns, they'll use knives. Take away their knives and they'll use sticks!!
Re: Need opinions on moving my blind...is it too late?...long post, sorry. [Re: Matt] #5952363 09/29/15 03:36 PM
K
Kenny Powers Offline
Tracker
Tracker
K
Looks good i wouldnt move it now.Just observe and hang a stand near where deer are using later.

Last edited by Kenny Powers; 09/29/15 03:36 PM.

Guns dont kill people.....bullets do.
Re: Need opinions on moving my blind...is it too late?...long post, sorry. [Re: Matt] #5952401 09/29/15 03:50 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
I would leave things as they are. I would hand corn this area every time I go out and then throw out some ryegrass/clover/etc in that area as an attractant. IME deer will check out the freshly disturbed area no matter what you do there. Deer are edge feeders, you just created some edge. cheers

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Need opinions on moving my blind...is it too late?...long post, sorry. [Re: Matt] #5952435 09/29/15 04:05 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Agree with the fellas and I would put a stand or 2 on the cleared field, even if you have to use old wood pallets as a ground blind. You could make a ground blind on the North and South side so you have options depending on wind.

You may even be able to throw out a bag or 2 of whole oats and wheat, and hand rake it in the debri, $20 and it may get you something to grow.

Whats wrong with your tractor?

Last edited by Western; 09/29/15 04:05 PM.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Need opinions on moving my blind...is it too late?...long post, sorry. [Re: Matt] #5952440 09/29/15 04:10 PM
R
rickym Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
I wouldn't move, maybe set up a pop up the next time you go. Or maybe a tree stand

Re: Need opinions on moving my blind...is it too late?...long post, sorry. [Re: Matt] #5952532 09/29/15 05:03 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
You definitely need to be hunting the new field, especially during the rut. You can see much better now. Throw out rye grass seed all over the fresh dirt. After the rut is over, you might want to hunt back at the other stand. Tripod on the edge of the field could be very productive.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Need opinions on moving my blind...is it too late?...long post, sorry. [Re: Matt] #5952606 09/29/15 05:37 PM
B
BowMan59 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
Id get a pop up and another feeder and set it up for opposite wind direction and have two areas!

Re: Need opinions on moving my blind...is it too late?...long post, sorry. [Re: Matt] #5952623 09/29/15 05:50 PM
D
Deerhunter61 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I agree with the others. I definitely would not move the stand. I definitely WOULD set up some type of stand. It doesn't need to be expensive. I like the idea of using pallets to create a blind. Then I would set up a chair. I also would buy some oats and rye grass and throw it out and like western said use a rake to smooth it out so it has a better chance germinating.

GOOD LUCK!

Re: Need opinions on moving my blind...is it too late?...long post, sorry. [Re: Matt] #5952685 09/29/15 06:19 PM
B
BigPig Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Feeder and a pop up. See how it goes and reevaluate next year

Wade Dews, REALTOR ®
Rendon Realty, LLC
Frontline Real Estate Team
www.RendonRealty.com
WadeDews@gmail.com
214-356-2410
Up to 1% for closing costs for First Responders & Veterans
Proudly partnered with Assist The Officer Foundation https://atodallas.org/
Re: Need opinions on moving my blind...is it too late?...long post, sorry. [Re: Matt] #5952764 09/29/15 07:11 PM
M
Matt Online Content OP
Pro Tracker
OP Online Content
Pro Tracker
M
Guys,
Thanks for all the input. I don't see how I can't hunt it.
Western,
It's a 20hp Chinese tractor. Last year the fuel system went. I repaired that and went to mow this year and it started overheating and what was a minor oil leak turned into an oil flood. I'll have the radiator cored this winter and I'll have to split the tractor to fix the oil leak. That's going to take a weekend.
Thanks!!!
Matt

Take away their guns, they'll use knives. Take away their knives and they'll use sticks!!
Re: Need opinions on moving my blind...is it too late?...long post, sorry. [Re: Matt] #5952816 09/29/15 07:41 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Sounds like a major leak! going to be a job splitting that bad boy, even if it is a 20hp

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Need opinions on moving my blind...is it too late?...long post, sorry. [Re: Matt] #5955101 09/30/15 11:33 PM
B
BowsnRods Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Move the stand, or put up a new blind and feeder in the new area, season is long and the best hunting dosent come till the cold weather gets here.

Re: Need opinions on moving my blind...is it too late?...long post, sorry. [Re: Matt] #5955279 10/01/15 01:15 AM
T
TFF Caribou Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Plenty of deer get killed out of popups that just got put out 20 minutes before daylight. Just move it if you want. Deer aren't as smart as we like to give them credit for. Especially as good as you are at brushing one in.

The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference. -George Washington
Re: Need opinions on moving my blind...is it too late?...long post, sorry. [Re: Matt] #5955363 10/01/15 02:04 AM
D
Deerhunter61 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Guys,

I think he said or inferred earlier that he doesn't have or want to spend more $ than he already has. Yes, I realize that you can get a pop up relatively cheap but if he's decided not to use funds for that then he needs an alternative. I'd grab me a chair and sit in some cover and see what comes out into the clearing.

Re: Need opinions on moving my blind...is it too late?...long post, sorry. [Re: Matt] #5955375 10/01/15 02:09 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
I would get a cattle panel and wire some brush/grass to it and make me a blind cheaply....$20 or so.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Need opinions on moving my blind...is it too late?...long post, sorry. [Re: Deerhunter61] #5955391 10/01/15 02:16 AM
T
TFF Caribou Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Deerhunter61
Guys,

I think he said or inferred earlier that he doesn't have or want to spend more $ than he already has. Yes, I realize that you can get a pop up relatively cheap but if he's decided not to use funds for that then he needs an alternative. I'd grab me a chair and sit in some cover and see what comes out into the clearing.

Not sure if that was directed at my comment. I only mentioned a popup to refernce that deer get shot outnod new blinds often.

The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference. -George Washington
Re: Need opinions on moving my blind...is it too late?...long post, sorry. [Re: Matt] #5955947 10/01/15 02:46 PM
M
Matt Online Content OP
Pro Tracker
OP Online Content
Pro Tracker
M
Guys,
I have a pop-up. I also have more permanent blinds that I could move and put them anywhere. My question was more of interrupting the feeding patterns of the deer that I already have coming to the feeder this late in the season to see if something else is better in the newly cleared area. I'm going out there Saturday to take stock of the situation. I have actually found a corner that I can sit in where I can see both places (at least I can see in on the map). The only issue is that it is due south of both places and, this being Texas, the dominant wind is out of the south. I'll let you guys know what I see when I go out there.
Thank you again for all the input. I really appreciate it!!!
Thanks!!
Matt

Re: Need opinions on moving my blind...is it too late?...long post, sorry. [Re: Matt] #5962452 10/05/15 09:32 PM
M
Matt Online Content OP
Pro Tracker
OP Online Content
Pro Tracker
M
I thought I'd give you guys an update.
I went out Saturday morning and it didn't look like I had hoped. But, it will work. As soon as I drove into the new clearing, my pet spike was standing there looking at me. Positive. The way he cut it back, I can see two directions for more that 100 yards from the only viable stand location. Positive. I didn't need to move the ground blind. Positive. I have a blind made from a water tank that I had parked on an elevated platform on the back side of the property. I hadn't been able to get back to it because of the brush explosion. After he cut it back, I was able to get to it. I positioned it to look over the fresh cut. Positive. My last cellular game camera was stolen. This makes three cell cams and five total. I am done with game cams for a while. NEGATIVE!! I also picked up Locust thorns in the sidewall of two tires. Also NEGATIVE!!! All in all, the positives out weigh the negatives. However, with the stolen camera and having to buy two tires, this was a VERY expensive trip to the farm.
Even still, this will be a good season.
Here's a pic of the blind I was able to get to and now use.

This is my view out the left side of the blind. The feeder is right at 100 yards.

This is the view out the right side. This is where the spike was standing. The feeder I have used for the last two years is 40 yards inside the tree line and can be seen when you are in the blind. The phone didn't pick it up in the shadows. The tree line is 100 yards from the blind.

Re: Need opinions on moving my blind...is it too late?...long post, sorry. [Re: Matt] #5963559 10/06/15 01:56 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Hope you leveled that tank!....Might tip over if the ground gets wet and starts to settle! roflmao
On a serious note, if you lost that many game cameras you have a serious poaching problem.
Might add another well hidden camera to catch the poachers.

Last edited by Jimbo; 10/06/15 01:58 PM.

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Need opinions on moving my blind...is it too late?...long post, sorry. [Re: Matt] #5963592 10/06/15 02:12 PM
M
Matt Online Content OP
Pro Tracker
OP Online Content
Pro Tracker
M
Here is the problem with not living on the property you own. I can always tell when certain local folks get out of jail, because that's when stuff starts to get jacked with. I have notified the neighbors..the good neighbors, that is, and the game warden. There is a lock on the water tank blind, so I can tell if it has been messed with. All I can do with the rest is be careful and ask for help from those living around the property.
I have discovered that there is a market for stolen cameras in Clarksville. I'm working on getting specifics. But, I have heard the same story from multiple locals. This being said, I get the feeling that when a local meth head needs a few bucks and can't get it elsewhere, he starts hitting known feeder locations for cameras to sell.
As for the tank, it is leveled and ready to go.
Thanks!!
Matt

Re: Need opinions on moving my blind...is it too late?...long post, sorry. [Re: Matt] #5963921 10/06/15 05:02 PM
K
Kenny Powers Offline
Tracker
Tracker
K
Place your cameras up high pointing downward that way the thief dousnt see it. But you get pics of thief. Notify GW or see when hes comming then catch him yourself zip tie him to a tree and do what comes natural like saw his feet off.Good luck!

Guns dont kill people.....bullets do.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide