Print Thread
Hogs, Dogs and a knife! are you crazy or something?! #5941883 09/23/15 02:34 AM
S
Stickman11b Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
So I found this hunt that I want to try. The guy lets you hunt his property and you pay extra if you want to use dogs. The only thing is that it's a two person minimum. No big deal right? I'll just get someone to go halves on it with me and we'll have some fun. The only problem is that no one wants to do it! they look at me like I am crazy when I tell them we use a knife to kill the hog. Like it's unethical or something. I have been told it's over kill lol.. Um Indians and other people used to do it back in the day. I'm really seeking the rush but I don't intend to mutilate the hog or talk crap to it while I execute it. I eat everything kill if it's edible and I am not doing it for the purpose of being evil. Do any of you see something wrong with hunting hogs with dogs and killing them with a knife?

There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.

-ERNEST HEMINGWAY
Re: Hogs, Dogs and a knife! are you crazy or something?! [Re: Stickman11b] #5942086 09/23/15 09:56 AM
25-06 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Nope never had killed hundreds behind dogs. They don't have to kill they can always tie em. That can be a rodeo in a rodeo.

Re: Hogs, Dogs and a knife! are you crazy or something?! [Re: Stickman11b] #5942451 09/23/15 02:25 PM
F
Frio County Hunts Offline
Tracker
Tracker
F
I've hunted hogs like this all through high school and still do occasionally. I think you would enjoy it with your 11B background. All my 0311 buddies from my platoon jump at the chance for this type of hunt. Good luck if you go and wear snake leggings. They are for more than rattlers, I had a hog bust loose in a milo field and flip me over when he hit my shin. Thank goodness for that snake legging or I would have had more than a bump and bruise on my shin!

Re: Hogs, Dogs and a knife! are you crazy or something?! [Re: Stickman11b] #5942618 09/23/15 04:03 PM
S
Stickman11b Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
Thanks for the advice friocountyhunts. One of the reason's I want to do this hunt is for the adrenaline, It's just that nobody wants to join in on the fun. Do you use a knife or a spear by the way and do you also use gloves when you do it?

Last edited by Stickman11b; 09/23/15 04:03 PM.

There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.

-ERNEST HEMINGWAY
Re: Hogs, Dogs and a knife! are you crazy or something?! [Re: Stickman11b] #5942664 09/23/15 04:38 PM
F
Frio County Hunts Offline
Tracker
Tracker
F
Just a knife that's a little longer than average and I "dig a hole" under the left front leg. That's only if there are catch dogs of course lol. I would throw on a sidearm just in case too and don't forget the ol trusty flashlight.

Re: Hogs, Dogs and a knife! are you crazy or something?! [Re: Stickman11b] #5942764 09/23/15 05:29 PM
Ramsey Online Content
Pepe' Le Pew
Online Content
Pepe' Le Pew
Originally Posted By: Stickman11b
Thanks for the advice friocountyhunts. One of the reason's I want to do this hunt is for the adrenaline, It's just that nobody wants to join in on the fun. Do you use a knife or a spear by the way and do you also use gloves when you do it?
In using hog dogs it can be a awesome hunt, but very unpredictable. Knives are used to be inserted into the heart, there is no stabbing motion as you will be close quarters with dogs and other hunters. I would never use a spear as it would be not the most effective weapon IMHO. (Dog Safety is paramount) You will have a catch dog or even two attached to the hog. Some other info for you. Dogs are trained to find pigs by scent and it may be a 40lb pig or a huge boar. Many of the dogs I have hunted with got excited and killed the pigs that were up to 80 lbs or so. Try a outfitter such as Hunters Creek Ranch that has about 130 acres and they can be hunted during the day. This does not necessarily make the hunt easy, but you can do it in the morning or evening. Trust me there is alot of fun to watch and experience the crazyness happen in the daylight. [b} The least exciting part of the hunt is actually stabbing the pig. [/b] Find an outfitter that would allow you to grab there back legs and hold the pig down. Now that is a rush. Will be a little hard to find as that is the most dangerous job for both the human and dogs.

Big Beckett!!
Re: Hogs, Dogs and a knife! are you crazy or something?! [Re: Stickman11b] #5942772 09/23/15 05:33 PM
V
Vern1 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
V
I've done it exactly twice, both times well after my 60th birthday.
The first time, I stuck two pigs with a bowie knife, the second time, I stuck 2 and we field dressed one and tied another for later butchering.
It was during daylight, early in the morning and was probably one of the most exciting and fast paced things I have ever done.
I've raced on and off road motorcycles, auto mobiles and various aircraft for a reference as to the excitement level.
If you get the chance to go with a good hog dogger, GO FOR IT MAN!
It is something you will remember and talk about for a long time!

Cheers,
Vern1
Texans since The Old 300 in 1824
NRA Lifetime Member
Re: Hogs, Dogs and a knife! are you crazy or something?! [Re: Stickman11b] #5943093 09/23/15 09:18 PM
A
Armalite260 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
I don't see anything wrong with it at all, it's just not my cup of tea. I have many friends who do it and LOVE it.. It's not I wouldn't stab one, it's the fact I hear too many stories about their dogs getting all chewed up.. I guess I'm too soft hearted for dogs.. Seeing one get hurt would tear me up..

Re: Hogs, Dogs and a knife! are you crazy or something?! [Re: Stickman11b] #5943127 09/23/15 09:41 PM
C
customcutter Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
Been there, done that, didn't get the T shirt. One good bulldog, one knife, one hunter, and a lot of adrenaline. Be careful of the dog, be careful of the hog, even if it's a sow. I recommend cut vest and collars for the dogs, and like the earlier poster said snake boots for you. Those boars have some nasty cutters and they know how to use them. You've got to get under his leg to get to his heart, you'll never stab through the shield on a grown boar. Good luck, be safe. If it's two hunters make sure you trust the man holding the hind legs not to let go.....

God Bless
Re: Hogs, Dogs and a knife! are you crazy or something?! [Re: Stickman11b] #5944059 09/24/15 01:41 PM
V
Vern1 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
V
I will add that I was with one of the better, more prepared and professional hunters out there.
His dogs were well trained, all wore GPS collars and the catch dogs wore kevlar.
The person grabbing and holding the pigs back legs is a good friend that has had lots of practice and one of best I've seen.
All this added up to a pretty safe, comfortable environment for me.

To me, pigs running close by and in every direction was scarier than the pigs we had caught.

Cheers,
Vern1
Texans since The Old 300 in 1824
NRA Lifetime Member
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide