Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Blinds on adjoining fence line's #5938229 09/21/15 02:13 AM
hetman Offline OP
"Trash Master"
OP Offline
"Trash Master"
is there any rule on where Blind and feeders can be placed on adjoining fence lines?

Went into our hunting area today and the people with the property on a adjoining fence have put a blind backed up to the fence line so close you can't walk between it and the fence.

it kind of just screws up that whole end to hunt on.

already had all kind of suggestions about different kind of things to spread around the area - all that would do is screw it up for everyone.

my thought is to take a 100 yard target with a nice .5 group and tape it to the fence.

just wondering if there are any game laws that apply

[Linked Image]

"Lesser mortals are pitied for the misfortune in not being born Texan."

Re: Blinds on adjoining fence line's [Re: hetman] #5938232 09/21/15 02:15 AM
G
grout-scout Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
No laws, the only law broken is if you can prove their bullet is crossing your property line. The best thing to do is to leave a note for them in a waterproof bag. Maybe y'all can talk about it and they will move it a bit.

You could put a blind on the opposite side of theirs and I'm sure they'd get the message.

Last edited by grout-scout; 09/21/15 02:16 AM.
Re: Blinds on adjoining fence line's [Re: hetman] #5938233 09/21/15 02:15 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
If he is facing away from the property you hunt on and not shooting into the property you hunt on I don't think you can do anything about it besides talk to them.

Re: Blinds on adjoining fence line's [Re: hetman] #5938242 09/21/15 02:19 AM
H
huntwest Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
My neighbor did it, I asked him to move it some and he told me to F off. So it put one twice a s big right next to the fence in my side. Only time I ever did that, but every other time the guys hunting next to me were very agreeable.
The landowner later told the guy to move it. I moved mine.

Re: Blinds on adjoining fence line's [Re: hetman] #5938245 09/21/15 02:22 AM
T
TBS Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
I guess I have never understood why this is a problem if they are facing into their property. I have huntet small acreage that this was the only safe option to set up a stand so your line of site / shot was purely on your property. I would never shoot across a fence line, but if I own the property don't I have the right to set a stand where I want. Not being argumentative, I have just never understood the great concern on this. I guess if the feeder was on the fence line then that would be a major issue.

"I Ain't Often Right But I've Never Been Wrong"

Re: Blinds on adjoining fence line's [Re: hetman] #5938280 09/21/15 02:35 AM
H
huntwest Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
It was a problem for me because my house was on a straight line less than 300 yards from where it was. I had two little girls and didn't feel like I wanted to have to keep them inside during hunting season.
I know that the guy has to shoot across the fence to hit the house but a lot of people will shoot over a fence at a nice buck if they think they can get away with it. Happens all the time, just ask a warden about it.
I have caught 2 people over the years that shot a deer on my side of the fence, they never hesitated when they saw the buck.

Re: Blinds on adjoining fence line's [Re: hetman] #5938282 09/21/15 02:35 AM
Chickenman Offline
Extremely Right Wing
Extremely Right Wing
Build a billboard facing his blind 2' off the ground 1' on your side of the fence

[Linked Image]
Re: Blinds on adjoining fence line's [Re: hetman] #5938297 09/21/15 02:42 AM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
amateurs they should have put it facing one way down the fence so they can shoot as soon as they jump on the right side.. maybe they like surprises

Re: Blinds on adjoining fence line's [Re: hetman] #5938506 09/21/15 11:03 AM
hetman Offline OP
"Trash Master"
OP Offline
"Trash Master"
I wonder if I could get a porta potty delivered to sit on our side of the fence? or take a mp3 player with a Bluetooth speaker and have it set to start playing opening morning around 6:30am . not sure what song at this time to just have it repeat over and over. Maybe Queen's "we are the champions" or some Hank " friends in low places"

or a cheaper way just hang some wind chimes in the trees on our side of the fence not the small ones but the big ones that "BONG" every time the wind blows. I know I hate the ones my wife hangs around the Patio

Some of the other guys told me this guys has caused a few problems over the years like coming up on opening morning during bow season in his truck yelling a one of our hunter that had a feeder approx. 80 yard off a fence line " about being a ethical hunter"

The area in question we have no feeders that are anywhere close to this guys fence line. And he has a few thousand acre's to put his blinds on with out disturbing anyone. we have a large pond on our side of the fence and he has none that are close to the area in question.

I have had no interaction with this person - what happened before is what I have been told about. Don't want to start a tit for tat war with this guy but this sucks as it is a nice area to hunt.

Last edited by hetman; 09/21/15 11:12 AM.

[Linked Image]

"Lesser mortals are pitied for the misfortune in not being born Texan."

Re: Blinds on adjoining fence line's [Re: hetman] #5938508 09/21/15 11:05 AM
S
stinkbelly Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
We had this happen. We put a box blind about 50 yards on our side and made sure he could not see into out box blind. That way he would never know if we were there. He moved his.

Re: Blinds on adjoining fence line's [Re: hetman] #5938548 09/21/15 12:03 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
I had one do that and turned the blind over. He put it up again and I turned it over again. He then moved it.

Re: Blinds on adjoining fence line's [Re: hetman] #5938554 09/21/15 12:08 PM
J
Jasb Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Put up a sign telling him what you think about it/him, he will look at it all day and then maybe he will shoot it...then call the GW.

Re: Blinds on adjoining fence line's [Re: hetman] #5938559 09/21/15 12:11 PM
T
TX Hitman Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
The piece of property I bought last year had a blind sitting right on the back fence line. The blind was owned by the leasees. The blind was facing into the property and it actually a great spot. Top of a hill so you can see a long ways down the fence line. However, the property behind me has some leasee with a feeder that was in the shooting line of that blind. The feeder is about 200ft off of the fence line based on google earth. Not too happy about that but it would be extremely hard for them to shoot across the fence line with the angle of the blind and the brush behind it. However, it would still be in a line to where that old blind was.

I placed a feeder at the same location as the previous leasees but out of respect, will not replace a blind. Plan to place a bow blind closer to the feeder and down in a draw. But I still don't like their feeder location. It is a great possiblity that a wounded deer will cross my fence line.
I'm thinking about typing a note, laminating it and zip tieing to the fence near their feeder asking they call me before crossing the fence line. Then maybe placing a camera on the note.

Thoughts?

Re: Blinds on adjoining fence line's [Re: TX Hitman] #5938603 09/21/15 12:57 PM
G
grout-scout Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: TX Hitman
The piece of property I bought last year had a blind sitting right on the back fence line. The blind was owned by the leasees. The blind was facing into the property and it actually a great spot. Top of a hill so you can see a long ways down the fence line. However, the property behind me has some leasee with a feeder that was in the shooting line of that blind. The feeder is about 200ft off of the fence line based on google earth. Not too happy about that but it would be extremely hard for them to shoot across the fence line with the angle of the blind and the brush behind it. However, it would still be in a line to where that old blind was.

I placed a feeder at the same location as the previous leasees but out of respect, will not replace a blind. Plan to place a bow blind closer to the feeder and down in a draw. But I still don't like their feeder location. It is a great possiblity that a wounded deer will cross my fence line.
I'm thinking about typing a note, laminating it and zip tieing to the fence near their feeder asking they call me before crossing the fence line. Then maybe placing a camera on the note.

Thoughts?

Thats a much smarter plan there than the one the OP is going to start. A war with other idiots who carry rifles with them isn't a good idea and hanging wind-chimes on the fence will scare all the deer, his and yours. You will also be receiving a visit from the game warden about hunter harassment. A smart man would take the thoughtful route first with a note or phone call. (Your landowner knows who owns the property.)

Something else to think about to the OP. You said nobody hunts back there, then why has this guy been in the wrong if nobody is ever back there?

Re: Blinds on adjoining fence line's [Re: hetman] #5938636 09/21/15 01:26 PM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I posted a pic of a feeder put on our fence line last year. It was a member here and he called me saying he would move it. They have zero cover so not sure why they even leased the place.

Re: Blinds on adjoining fence line's [Re: hetman] #5938654 09/21/15 01:37 PM
Curtis Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
If the blind is in a spot where if you missed your target and it crossed the fence line in that direction, I have to ask should you be shooting that direction anyway? I don't think he is breaking any laws putting it there, but maybe meeting up with the people next door and trying to talk about it would be my first suggestion.

Double Arrow Bow Hunting
www.doublearrowbowhunting.com
Bow hunters welcome!
Whitetail-Axis-Blackbuck-Fallow-Barasingha-Scimitar Oryx
Located in Gonzales County.
Visit our Facebook page for current updates!

Re: Blinds on adjoining fence line's [Re: hetman] #5938906 09/21/15 03:43 PM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Quote:
I guess I have never understood why this is a problem if they are facing into their property.

I never understood either. I would much rather have a guy hunting his property from the fence and shooting inside his property (why shouldn't he use all his space?) than have a guy 50 or 100 yards away from the fence and shooting toward me.

I don't care if they are on the fence or off the fence if they are shooting across the fence, it is just wrong. Just because they are on the fence, however, doesn't mean they are shooting across the fence.

Putting a feeder against a fence can be a whole other issue.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Blinds on adjoining fence line's [Re: Double Naught Spy] #5938926 09/21/15 04:03 PM
Curtis Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
Quote:
I guess I have never understood why this is a problem if they are facing into their property.

I never understood either. I would much rather have a guy hunting his property from the fence and shooting inside his property (why shouldn't he use all his space?) than have a guy 50 or 100 yards away from the fence and shooting toward me.

I don't care if they are on the fence or off the fence if they are shooting across the fence, it is just wrong. Just because they are on the fence, however, doesn't mean they are shooting across the fence.

I can agree with that.

Double Arrow Bow Hunting
www.doublearrowbowhunting.com
Bow hunters welcome!
Whitetail-Axis-Blackbuck-Fallow-Barasingha-Scimitar Oryx
Located in Gonzales County.
Visit our Facebook page for current updates!

Re: Blinds on adjoining fence line's [Re: hetman] #5938949 09/21/15 04:14 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Originally Posted By: hetman
I wonder if I could get a porta potty delivered to sit on our side of the fence? or take a mp3 player with a Bluetooth speaker and have it set to start playing opening morning around 6:30am . not sure what song at this time to just have it repeat over and over. Maybe Queen's "we are the champions" or some Hank " friends in low places"

or a cheaper way just hang some wind chimes in the trees on our side of the fence not the small ones but the big ones that "BONG" every time the wind blows. I know I hate the ones my wife hangs around the Patio

Some of the other guys told me this guys has caused a few problems over the years like coming up on opening morning during bow season in his truck yelling a one of our hunter that had a feeder approx. 80 yard off a fence line " about being a ethical hunter"

The area in question we have no feeders that are anywhere close to this guys fence line. And he has a few thousand acre's to put his blinds on with out disturbing anyone. we have a large pond on our side of the fence and he has none that are close to the area in question.

I have had no interaction with this person - what happened before is what I have been told about. Don't want to start a tit for tat war with this guy but this sucks as it is a nice area to hunt.

If you took an action to purposely mess up his hunt you may get a visit from the warden.. good luck but hes not in the wrong as far as the blind placement goes

Re: Blinds on adjoining fence line's [Re: hetman] #5938960 09/21/15 04:22 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
It's a problem becoming more common as leases get smaller and hunters get desperate to harvest a deer and get a return for their money. It's also another example where ethics and what is equal don't necessarily add up.

If both sides of the fence have good deer-holding habitat, I see no foul in hunters on either side hunting the fence line between them. IMO, ethics come into play when a guy decides to throw up a feeder at the edge of an open pasture when his neighbor has the deer-holding habitat. In such cases, it's obvious the guy with the feeder has no habitat and is just trying to make up for it by pulling deer from his neighbor's place. While there is no law against it, it's no different than pulling up to a guy's boat and throwing your hook close to his.

We had a guy once who traveled across a mile of public land to hang a stand next to our food plot. With more than 300 acres of seldom-hunted public land available to him, he decides it's better to walk a mile and hunt right next to a food plot created by someone else. The stand soon disappeared when I told him that I could easily hunt the same spot it took him a mile to reach by just stepping over the fence.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Blinds on adjoining fence line's [Re: Curtis] #5939000 09/21/15 04:44 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: Curtis
Quote:

I can agree with that.

X's 2

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Blinds on adjoining fence line's [Re: hetman] #5939061 09/21/15 05:17 PM
T
Tru2lifetaxidermy Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
That's a tough spot. But until there is law against it there is nothing you can do. Would be nice if there was an incrochment law like there is when building a home near a property line

Re: Blinds on adjoining fence line's [Re: Double Naught Spy] #5939244 09/21/15 06:50 PM
J
Jhop Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
Quote:

X3.... All this talk of putting items up to harass the hunter and trespass to damage his property is just crazy and illegal. Game warden should probably come after y'all.

Retired U. S. Army, which means I still have to work to make a living.
Re: Blinds on adjoining fence line's [Re: Western] #5939259 09/21/15 07:00 PM
oldoak2000 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: Western
Originally Posted By: Curtis
Quote:

I can agree with that.

X's 2

x5

Like Curtis said, how does this 'mess up that whole side of property' ?? You PLAN on having your projectiles cross the fence line to where the blind is?

Originally Posted By: don k
I had one do that and turned the blind over. He put it up again and I turned it over again. He then moved it.
Don K --Really? - you knocked over someone's blind on their own property??

Re: Blinds on adjoining fence line's [Re: Texas Dan] #5939328 09/21/15 07:45 PM
T
TX Hitman Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
[quote= it's obvious the guy with the feeder has no habitat and is just trying to make up for it by pulling deer from his neighbor's place. While there is no law against it, it's no different than pulling up to a guy's boat and throwing your hook close to his. [/quote]

This is the case with our place......They are trying to pull deer from our place to their feeder because we have many draws, tons of cover, bedding, and a wet creek.....No laws against that and I have no issues with them trying either.......but I do have a issue with their feeder 200ft from the fence line and their blind angled 30 degrees towards our fence. Mainly because I will have to cross in their shot line to get to my feeder either way......Brush or not, I still don't like the idea of moving in front of a blind with someone I don't know holding a hi powered rifle.....especially if we both have camo on.

I plan to place the note in plain sight on the fence that can be clearly seen from the stand and the feeder. I will also ask for a conversation about their feeder placement. It's a simple fix for them. Move their feeder 20-30yrds further into their property. It shouldn't that big of deal either because that particular feeder has only been there since last season. I actually saw them putting up the blind and feeder (just before I bought the place). And to be honest, they may have put it up that way in spite of the blind on our land, that has since been removed......Who knows?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide