Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
talk me out of it (bluetick hound pup) #5928640 09/14/15 11:51 PM
ETexas Hunter Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
I'm a labrador guy, we lost our dog of 11 years in July. Found a blue tick hound pup for sale, thoughts/opinions? Always wanted one, seriously considering picking her up.
Any owners? Would love to see what y'all think

Re: talk me out of it (bluetick hound pup) [Re: ETexas Hunter] #5928697 09/15/15 12:36 AM
ETexas Hunter Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
no one?

Re: talk me out of it (bluetick hound pup) [Re: ETexas Hunter] #5928907 09/15/15 02:26 AM
J
Jtmeeks Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
i love my little girl. she is a noisy girl sometimes if she has been in her kennal or crate for a while but other than that, she is great. SMART!!!!!!

I don't always exaggerate, I just remember BIG!
Re: talk me out of it (bluetick hound pup) [Re: ETexas Hunter] #5928913 09/15/15 02:27 AM
J
Jtmeeks Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
Talk to gary roberson on here he knows his blueticks like the back of his hand thats were my pup came from

Re: talk me out of it (bluetick hound pup) [Re: ETexas Hunter] #5930095 09/15/15 09:35 PM
N
Night Hunting TV Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
N
If you have neighbors close or howling bothers you don't get one. My neighbor had one in the middle of town. All it did was bark/howl. When it climbed out the yard I thought ok good its gone. But no it would climb a 6 ft fence to get back in. He finally got rid of it. and for that I am grateful.

Thermal & Night Vision Videos
Hog & Predator control
Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/NightHuntingTv/
Youtube Channel - http://www.youtube.com/c/NightHuntingTV
Re: talk me out of it (bluetick hound pup) [Re: ETexas Hunter] #5930136 09/15/15 10:00 PM
J
Jtmeeks Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
If you precise genuine exercise it should be ok. Maybe a no bark collar

Re: talk me out of it (bluetick hound pup) [Re: ETexas Hunter] #5930149 09/15/15 10:06 PM
J
Jtmeeks Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J

Not to mention how cute they are

Re: talk me out of it (bluetick hound pup) [Re: ETexas Hunter] #5938925 09/21/15 04:03 PM
G
gary roberson Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
That Minnie is a doll. I can't wait until she and her littermates get big enough to go to the woods. Hounds and bird dogs were made to be hunted. When I was a youngster, the Austin Bird Dog Club leased our ranch for quail hunting. Guys who had paid lots of money for puppies and training would bring a poor dog who had not been out of a kennel since last quail season down for a hunt. This was the days before the tracking systems, so when they turned this poor hyper dog loose, that was generally the last time they saw him. It was a pretty good income for me as the hunter would have to drive back to Austin without his dog, leaving me his business card with a description of the dog on the back. When I found the dog I would give the hunter a call and he would drive back to retrieve the sore footed canine. We had an old Lewellen Setter (not sure of spelling) and English Pointer cross that pointed like an armadillo but was a sure 'nuff bird dog. The hunters would borrow him after loosing their dogs and at least get in a hunt. Old Rip got more hunting as a "sub" in one quail season than most dogs ever get.
One of my favorite sayings is, "A tired dog is a good dog" for a dog that has the edge knocked off him will be a more patient hunter.
Adios,
Gary

Re: talk me out of it (bluetick hound pup) [Re: ETexas Hunter] #5950692 09/28/15 06:38 PM
S
SGD64USMC Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
S
Ok this sounds familier!!
I lost my 14 year old English Pointer around this time last year and I did the routine act of Ill never own another dog, so by November I had picked out a Bluetick from a guy in Fredericksburg. lol
I have owned and trained a lot of dogs and I will have to say that most everything you hear about them is true. mostly good some bad, depending on how you look at it. first thing to remember is that they are not bred to be quiet. And when they speak you and all your neighbors will here it. this BTCH I have now is the only dog that made me cry in the training phase. All other dogs picked up the house breaking so fast but not her. And knowing her now, I think she knew and just didn't care. They are so smart it is hard to believe, She is one year old now and for every headache she has caused she has given back ten fold.
Scott

Re: talk me out of it (bluetick hound pup) [Re: SGD64USMC] #5952226 09/29/15 02:29 PM
ETexas Hunter Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted By: SGD64USMC
Ok this sounds familier!!
I lost my 14 year old English Pointer around this time last year and I did the routine act of Ill never own another dog, so by November I had picked out a Bluetick from a guy in Fredericksburg. lol
I have owned and trained a lot of dogs and I will have to say that most everything you hear about them is true. mostly good some bad, depending on how you look at it. first thing to remember is that they are not bred to be quiet. And when they speak you and all your neighbors will here it. this BTCH I have now is the only dog that made me cry in the training phase. All other dogs picked up the house breaking so fast but not her. And knowing her now, I think she knew and just didn't care. They are so smart it is hard to believe, She is one year old now and for every headache she has caused she has given back ten fold.
Scott

Well I got one. A 9 week old girl that I have had for a little over a week. She is sweet and stubborn as hell. I finally got her to stop crapping in the kennel and she is getting close to being house broken. That being said, she is a mess, much like your pup I too think she knows, but just does not care. Once she gets used to the kennel and learns to sleep through the night with out throwing a fit, my life will be much easier.
I would appreciate any advice or lessons learned from those who own one.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide