Print Thread
Birds so thick you could walk on them. #5928171 09/14/15 06:58 PM
H
HuntnFly67 Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
H
OK, I was thinking this could either go here or in the OT's Tall Tales and Yarns Section.

Quick background, I have heard the story for years, it never changes, but I never gave it any weight. The story came up again in conversation over the weekend with Dad and my uncle so thought y'all might appreciate it.

Story goes that my father, uncle and grandfather hunted the rice fields of Matagorda County (I do NOT doubt this part of the story as photographic evidence corroborates that they hunted a rice farm at least twice) in 'the good ol' days' (circa late 50s to early 1960s) when hunting was 'sooo much better than what it is today.' rolleyes

Teal limits were evidently pretty liberal, if there were any at all back then. If, in fact, there were actually harvest limits, I am pretty comfortable telling this story as I am sure the statute of limitations has expired.

One hunt in particular, the hunting was soooo incredible that the trio all ran out of ammunition and boast a very high double-digit tally on the morning in question - the number of birds downed never varies - had they not run out of ammo, I have no doubt the three could have hit triple digits before lunch. "The teal were as thick as the mosquitos on that particular morning." yawn OK.

Fine. Y'all's hunt. My grandfather knew what it was to be hungry during the Depression and its not my place to judge them as he hunted for not just sustenance but existence in the old days.

This is where I doubt find the story hard to believe. My dad swears that on his last shot he got a true flying double - plausible - but he is prone to exaggeration. Maybe it wasn't his last shot of the day - or maybe they were already sitting in the flooded rice. 50 years later, its your story, Dad - you re-remember it how you want. up Whatever.

Here is what I have always heard about this hunt, but no one ever believes. I need some THF help if they have ever heard of such. Please keep in mind that Dad, Uncle and Grandfather, who passed away 20+ years ago, all swear to this: MY GRANDFATHER STUCK THE BUTT OF HIS SHOTGUN IN THE AIR, A TEAL FLEW INTO THE BUTT OF THE GUN AND KILLED ITSELF D-E-A-D dead.

Even if my 'Big Dad' swung at it like Babe Ruth, I suppose the impact of the butt of a Stevens 20 ga pump could end a teal, but really?

I have had birds 'land on me' in my 30+ years of waterfowling, but not sure I have been buzzed close enough to where I could hold the barrel of a gun up and swat one out of the sky. What say y'all? I am grateful that the times I have heard the story, I am pretty sure I was wearing boots. grin

Re: Birds so thick you could walk on them. [Re: HuntnFly67] #5928182 09/14/15 07:02 PM
#
#Hayraker Offline
Chihuahua
Chihuahua
#
sounds plausible to me doubting Thomas

#sigline
Re: Birds so thick you could walk on them. [Re: #Hayraker] #5928193 09/14/15 07:05 PM
H
HuntnFly67 Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted By: #Hayraker
sounds plausible to me doubting Thomas

Is it weird that Thomas is a middle name of 1 of the 3 in the story? clap

Re: Birds so thick you could walk on them. [Re: HuntnFly67] #5928199 09/14/15 07:06 PM
T
TTUhunter4 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
I have shot many a double Teal hunting, so It isn't hard to believe your dad doubled on the last shot at all. Heck, last season I killed 5 BWT with my first shot on one hunt. The duck running into the shotgun thing is hard to believe, but I suppose it is possible. I would think that Teal are quick enough to swerve around the gun if he truly just stuck it up in the air and didn't swing it. Stories like that are fun, but of course the hunt seems to always get better and better as time goes on. grin

"God made man, but Samuel Colt made them equal."
Re: Birds so thick you could walk on them. [Re: HuntnFly67] #5928352 09/14/15 08:44 PM
F
Featherduster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
I'm gonna go ahead and give em props.

I've been in flooded rice quite a bit and have had those teal jukin, buzzin, zig-zaggin, and a whippin into the rice. When you are sitting on the bottom of a levee it's not that rare that a teal will fly right next to you, especially when it's early light. I remember reading in an older DU magazine that a bluebill flew into a man and broke his nose. I could see a teal hitting a black barrel...they aren't the smartest ya know.

One big group comes in, it's not that tough to get a double. Saw it happen a couple times over the years.

True or false, nobody really knows I guess.

Re: Birds so thick you could walk on them. [Re: HuntnFly67] #5928373 09/14/15 08:55 PM
N
nsmike Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
I know for a fact that ducks sometimes run into things and kill themselves. I spooked a flock of mallards off a small woods pond, they kept flying low because an eagle was soaring along the river about a quarter mile away, one ran into a limb of a dead snag and dropped like a rock. While I was making up my mind about seeing if I could find the mallard the eagle swooped down into the woods near rhe snag. I now laugh about having been a bird dog for an eagle.

for every stereotype there's a prototype don't be the prototype
Re: Birds so thick you could walk on them. [Re: TTUhunter4] #5928396 09/14/15 09:08 PM
G
Greekangler Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: TTUhunter4
I have shot many a double Teal hunting, so It isn't hard to believe your dad doubled on the last shot at all. Heck, last season I killed 5 BWT with my first shot on one hunt. The duck running into the shotgun thing is hard to believe, but I suppose it is possible. I would think that Teal are quick enough to swerve around the gun if he truly just stuck it up in the air and didn't swing it. Stories like that are fun, but of course the hunt seems to always get better and better as time goes on. grin

We had 2 doubles on one shot on one pass this weekend- not uncommon decoying BWT

as far as rest of story- anything is possible when a moving target hits something still

[Linked Image]
Take a kid Huntin
Re: Birds so thick you could walk on them. [Re: HuntnFly67] #5928402 09/14/15 09:10 PM
E
Erichugh22 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
I killed 5 in 3 shots before, so 2 in 1 is very believable, I've done that a couple of times. And I could see it happening where one flies into a barrel, I saw one whack a power line by a pond I hunt.

Re: Birds so thick you could walk on them. [Re: HuntnFly67] #5928408 09/14/15 09:15 PM
T
TexasEd Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
I'm betting the story got better as the amount of beer and years passed.

Why would you doubt them?

Re: Birds so thick you could walk on them. [Re: TexasEd] #5928470 09/14/15 09:57 PM
H
HuntnFly67 Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted By: TexasEd
I'm betting the story got better as the amount of beer and years passed.

Why would you doubt them?

I think I exaggerated my skepticism of the story more for entertainment value and had some fun just typing it up. However, I was curious if anyone else on here has literally smacked a teal. ...and please note that I did strike through doubt.

Last edited by HuntnFly67; 09/14/15 10:01 PM.
Re: Birds so thick you could walk on them. [Re: HuntnFly67] #5928563 09/14/15 10:57 PM
P
pervis Offline
Tracker
Tracker
P
There's a video on YouTube of some guys going to a duck hole in a sxs it's dark and there's so many ducks flying they're literally flying right into the guys and hitting the sxs. It was a good video. I Wana say the title was duck hunting helmet required or something like that.

Re: Birds so thick you could walk on them. [Re: HuntnFly67] #5928594 09/14/15 11:21 PM
B
beaversnipe Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B

Snows arkansas

www.TexasPondPoppers.com
Originally Posted by bill oxner
Loved my 4 inches. Well needed.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Hate Russians. Love happy endings. I saw snot fly. cheers

Re: Birds so thick you could walk on them. [Re: HuntnFly67] #5929053 09/15/15 03:43 AM
B
BradyBuck Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Cool story!

We went one morning to set up at our normal hole. When we got out of the truck we thought we were hearing a train. We shined our lights out over the water to see thousands of ducks taking flight. As we walked down the bank we were kicking up ducks out of the weeds. No doubt I could have hit one with a tennis racket. We just sat there starring in the sky with our lights. I'll never forget that.

Last edited by BradyBuck; 09/15/15 03:43 AM.

HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded
GRHRCH Firefly's Rally The Troops MH
Re: Birds so thick you could walk on them. [Re: Erichugh22] #5929204 09/15/15 12:14 PM
G
Greekangler Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: Erichugh22
I killed 5 in 3 shots before, so 2 in 1 is very believable, I've done that a couple of times. And I could see it happening where one flies into a barrel, I saw one whack a power line by a pond I hunt.

Yes- did that on opening last year- dog found 5th bird. Didn't even see it hit. Seem to get more multiples w tighter chokes

[Linked Image]
Take a kid Huntin
Re: Birds so thick you could walk on them. [Re: HuntnFly67] #5929210 09/15/15 12:21 PM
P
poisonivie Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Mind yer manners and respect yer elders, kiddo. Dad's always right.

Pee on Photobucket
Re: Birds so thick you could walk on them. [Re: poisonivie] #5929421 09/15/15 02:25 PM
H
HuntnFly67 Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted By: poisonivie
Mind yer manners and respect yer elders, kiddo. Dad's always right.

I typically do give him a wide berth. He lurks here occasionally. Cant wait for him to stumble across this one. clap

Re: Birds so thick you could walk on them. [Re: beaversnipe] #5929428 09/15/15 02:27 PM
H
HuntnFly67 Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted by beaversnipe

Snows arkansas

That is one for the books! Made me laugh when a bird would get stunned and sit on the front of that UTV like a hood ornament.

Re: Birds so thick you could walk on them. [Re: HuntnFly67] #5929981 09/15/15 08:19 PM
B
Boudreaux Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
If there wouldn't have been 5 other people who witnessed me barrel swat one once and kill it dead I would have told myself that didn't happen. But it did happen and it was a sight to see, though it was a chuckur and not a teal.

Stickin' gills and Stackin' bills

In a world of compromise..... some dont....
Re: Birds so thick you could walk on them. [Re: HuntnFly67] #5930069 09/15/15 09:17 PM
R
rdh1 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Do not have a duck story but a dove one
in my younger days the doves were so thick on a back county road we got large dip nets
hang out the window of a dodge dart and was dove catching
good times

Zeva,Buck & Sandy
[Linked Image]
Re: Birds so thick you could walk on them. [Re: HuntnFly67] #8108116 12/30/20 05:06 PM
H
Hopedale Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Anyone have a hunt like this in this season?

[Linked Image]
Re: Birds so thick you could walk on them. [Re: HuntnFly67] #8108150 12/30/20 05:27 PM
H
HuntnFly67 Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Your timing of bumping this is impeccable!

I deer hunted with my dad and uncle last night and they doubled up on bucks. I love being in the woods and on the water with those guys.

Re: Birds so thick you could walk on them. [Re: HuntnFly67] #8108243 12/30/20 06:37 PM
M
Misfire Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Really old thread but I'll play along..

Three days ago I got a pair of Gaddies over the blocks with a single shot. About 10 min later a buddy of mine that was hunting on the other side of the state texted me bragging that he had just killed a pair of Jacks with a single shot. It happens pretty often I suppose.

Many years ago, I was standing in the middle of a 1000+ decoy goose spread in Knox City. It was still dark enough that you needed a head lamp to keep from tripping when all of sudden and without warning, a mallard drake rocketed of the darkness and flew straight into ground killing himself. He hit the ground like a lawn dart and the red dirt kicked up in a mini-mushroom cloud upon impact. I don't know if our head lamps had somehow messed with the duck's depth perception or if something else had distracted him but he missed me by about 3 feet. We had a pretty good laugh but I'm pretty sure I'd be dead if he had actually hit me.

I'd say it's possible your grandfather hit a duck with his gun stock; strange stuff does happen on occasion..

"I wanna go fast" -Ricky Bobby

"Mind bottling isn't it?" -Chazz Michael Michaels

Re: Birds so thick you could walk on them. [Re: HuntnFly67] #8108363 12/30/20 08:26 PM
H
Hunt Dog Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
Hunting with one of my buddies in the pothole at my family's place. We were in waist deep water using some buck brush for cover. It was past sunrise and suddenly the birds decided thay wanted to be where we were and they were coming in hot and heavy. We were shooting but that wasn't stopping them or scaring them off. My buddy goes to raise his gun and suddenly he gets smacked in the back of his head by a big Mallrd drake coming in for a landing and it knocks my buddy's cap off and made hium miss his shot. .

On the pothole another time, same buddy. It was Thanksgiving weekend 1993 (the Dallas sleetbowl with Leon Lett). we had to break ice as we waded out to our spot. It's misting hard and light rain is forming icicles on the barrels of our guns. Between legal light and sunrise birds start coming in. Suddenly a bird is coming at me from my left. I'm left handed so I had to swing around a lot as I'm bringing my gun up. By the time I got a good sight on her she was about 20 feet away and just a foot or two over the ice so I'm aiming at a slight downward angle. 20 ga with 3 inch magnum, #4 steel. Hit her with so much force she ricochetted off the ice back up in the air over about 40 feet. Turns out it was a teal, that's why it bounced so hard. .

Re: Birds so thick you could walk on them. [Re: HuntnFly67] #8108620 12/30/20 11:41 PM
L
LarryCopper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
I've had teal buzz the blind low enough to swat em out the air.

Last weekend I was hunting a pond at the lease. Had a tank turd rip right over from behind me full speed ahead no more than 2-3 feet over my head. About needed to change underwear. I literally flinched..

I usually pass on them cuz I don't like cleaning them, but the culprit is on the left. This is the back side of the blind.

[Linked Image]

So I believe that story

Re: Birds so thick you could walk on them. [Re: HuntnFly67] #8110466 01/01/21 05:53 AM
J
jnd59 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
If you read the old books about duck hunting the Texas coast in the early years, it wasn't uncommon to get 7 or 8 birds with one shot. Course, that was mostly on the water...

No matter how high a duck flies a hammer still breaks a window.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide