Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics536,997
Posts9,719,287
Members86,987
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
where to get pup rattlesnake vaccine? near denton Lewisville tx #5914958 09/06/15 06:33 AM
P
pervis Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
P
My gsp had her first up close and personal encounter w a rattler this weekend, a good size one too, she jumped and I walked over only to find about a 4ft or so rattler. One good shot w my pistol to the snakes head,done. This week I wana get my dog vaccinated.

Re: where to get pup rattlesnake vaccine? near denton Lewisville tx [Re: pervis] #5917030 09/07/15 10:05 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
X2 for a bump, My dog got the first one recently, but it was the last one my vet had on hand and was not ordering more rattlesnake vaccine anytime soon. Need the 2nd booster. North Dallas to Denton area.
TIA

Re: where to get pup rattlesnake vaccine? near denton Lewisville tx [Re: pervis] #5918225 09/08/15 04:20 PM
D
duckhacker Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
Have y'all checked with Dr. Aycock in Lewisville?

Re: where to get pup rattlesnake vaccine? near denton Lewisville tx [Re: pervis] #5918409 09/08/15 06:14 PM
A
Angie B Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
I think my vet has it.... Pilot Point Vet,,, Glenn Tolle. Ed Aycock does have it also.

Angie

"Developing the Potential"
www.tiogaretrievers.com
Re: where to get pup rattlesnake vaccine? near denton Lewisville tx [Re: pervis] #5918916 09/08/15 11:37 PM
P
pervis Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
P
Thank you. I will Google em. Need to get my dog done asap. Close call this past week

Re: where to get pup rattlesnake vaccine? near denton Lewisville tx [Re: pervis] #5919442 09/09/15 04:09 AM
T
THETEXAN Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Tractor supply has a vet come there once a month. I got my Catahoula the snake vaccine. It takes 4 shots spread out over a year. Cheaper than paying a office visit at the vet.

You Don't Have A PIG Problem If Ya Want to Charge $200.00
Re: where to get pup rattlesnake vaccine? near denton Lewisville tx [Re: pervis] #5919637 09/09/15 01:13 PM
K
kindall Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
confused2
The first time your dog gets the shot, a follow up booster should be given 1 month later.
Most of us are good to go, and only do a yearly after that.

If your dog could come in contact with rattlers year round, they recommend getting follow ups every 4-6 months.

Shopping with your husband is like hunting with the game warden.
Experience is what you get, when you didn't get what you wanted.

Re: where to get pup rattlesnake vaccine? near denton Lewisville tx [Re: THETEXAN] #5920704 09/09/15 10:12 PM
A
Angie B Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
Originally Posted By: THETEXAN
Tractor supply has a vet come there once a month. I got my Catahoula the snake vaccine. It takes 4 shots spread out over a year. Cheaper than paying a office visit at the vet.

That sounds like you're over vaccinating. Intial shot with a follow up booster a month later, then a yearly follow up.

Angie.

"Developing the Potential"
www.tiogaretrievers.com
Re: where to get pup rattlesnake vaccine? near denton Lewisville tx [Re: pervis] #5920830 09/09/15 11:37 PM
P
pervis Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
P
Dr aycock in lewisville has the vaccine and the boosters. Thank you. Going tmrw

Re: where to get pup rattlesnake vaccine? near denton Lewisville tx [Re: pervis] #5921988 09/10/15 04:25 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
How long does protection last? How often should my dog be vaccinated?
Our research indicates that the maximum protection generated by vaccination with this product typically becomes available about four to six weeks after the most recent vaccine booster dose. That protection then declines slowly over time. On average, vaccinated dogs receive good protection for about six months after boostering. Depending on the dog, some protection may continue out to a year or longer.

The first time your dog is vaccinated, we recommend an initial vaccine injection followed by a booster dose about one month later. We recommend then boostering each subsequent year.

Typically, boostering would involve a single dose at the start of the rattlesnake season in your area. However, there are circumstances such as your dog’s anticipated exposure to rattlesnakes or the size of your dog where, in consultation with your veterinarian, you may wish to booster your dog with this product two or even three times per year.

Most dogs exposed to rattlesnakes for less than six months per year will only require a single booster dose for that year. The best time to give that dose is approximately one month before the start of the rattlesnake season. This category includes dogs that live in the northern half of the United States or dogs who briefly visit locations where rattlesnakes may be active—such as during a camping or hunting trip.

However, if your dog will be in an area where rattlesnakes are active for more than six months per year (roughly the southern half of the United States) you and your veterinarian may wish to consider administering two annual booster doses four to six months apart. Again, the first booster dose should be given one month before the rattlesnake season begins. The second dose should be given approximately half-way through the season.

If your dog is at particular risk of being bitten by a rattlesnake (for example, a search and rescue dog, some hunting dogs or dogs living in a high density rattlesnake area where rattlesnakes are active year-round), you and your veterinarian may wish to consider using three booster doses per year at four-month intervals.

Since resistance to venom depends upon the amount of venom-neutralizing antibody available, small dogs (under 25 pounds) are at increased risk of envenomation injury. Because of this, a third dose in the initial sequence, and in subsequent years more frequent boosters (i.e., every four to six months), may be advisable in small dogs to maximize their antibody production for more protection.

Alternatively, a percentage of large dogs (over 100 pounds) may not develop as high an antibody level as intermediate-sized dogs in response to the two-dose initial sequence. For this reason, there is some evidence that large dogs may also benefit from a third dose in the initial sequence, although they do not necessarily require additional annual booster doses to maintain that antibody level.

As mentioned above, the use of additional vaccine doses to provide extra protection for your dog should be decided in consultation with your veterinarian.

Re: where to get pup rattlesnake vaccine? near denton Lewisville tx [Re: pervis] #5936205 09/19/15 06:10 PM
P
pervis Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
P
Had my gsp done in lewisville at Dr aycock office. They have the vaccine and booster. Thank you for the help

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide