OP Offline
Bird Dog
S
yesterday I shot

Remington versa max water fowl pro 28" barrel

Benelli super black eagle 2

Benelli super vinci

All very nice great guns!

Remington was the longer barrel of the 3 that I shot however it seemed the grip on versa max felt loose compared to the benelli ( dunno if that's just me or what )

The super black eagle vs Vinci Besides I hear the break down on the super Vinci is 3 main pieces the only thing I can point out is one has a bulkier feel and of course the safety in the front of the trigger compared to the safety being like most in the rear.

I know we are all different however I would love to hear your opinions on the 3 and why you like one over the other smile

Re: Ok need help selecting the shotgun. Opinions [Re: StephensCnty308] #5918640 09/08/15 08:50 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Which one felt best to you?

Re: Ok need help selecting the shotgun. Opinions [Re: StephensCnty308] #5918674 09/08/15 09:07 PM
S
StephensCnty308 Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
S
Honestly? Only thing I can pick on the versa max is the feel on how loose the forearm grip felt to me ( maybe just that gun ) I have never cleaned a versa max so I can't say how complicated that will be.

The versa max was a 28" barrel not sure how a 26 would compare in the field.

The sBE2 vs the super vinci both 26"

Both easy to break down.
Grips a little different but both nice.
The Vinci has the safety up front but a nice large trigger guard.

Not familiar with a gas system on a versa max.

All 3 shot nicely!

Just wondering if anyone else shot any of these and your thoughts

Re: Ok need help selecting the shotgun. Opinions [Re: StephensCnty308] #5918692 09/08/15 09:15 PM
O
oilag Offline
Tracker
Tracker
O
Id go with one of the benellis - i've had a bunch of problems with the newer remingtons. the ONLY bad thing about a SBE2 is that 1 oz loads dont cycle well when the gun is new (and even when its broken in you will still get a few that stick up). I think the vinci has a different bolt option that lets you shoot lighter loads. Ive been a happy camper with my SBE2 for almost 4 yrs - so this gun has my vote!

Re: Ok need help selecting the shotgun. Opinions [Re: StephensCnty308] #5918703 09/08/15 09:19 PM
N
Nick1 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
N
Benelli...because it's a benelli

Last edited by Nick1; 09/08/15 09:23 PM.
Re: Ok need help selecting the shotgun. Opinions [Re: StephensCnty308] #5918733 09/08/15 09:31 PM
S
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
S
Yeah I'm thinking about one of the benellis but don't know which is better of the two.

Re: Ok need help selecting the shotgun. Opinions [Re: StephensCnty308] #5918746 09/08/15 09:44 PM
B
BDB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I went with the sbe 2 over the vinci for the feel. Remington was never an option. I have had a few buds and my grown boys shoot that sbe 2 and they think its the sweetest gun they ever shot.

Re: Ok need help selecting the shotgun. Opinions [Re: StephensCnty308] #5918772 09/08/15 09:56 PM
S
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
S
What would u say separates the two benellis

Re: Ok need help selecting the shotgun. Opinions [Re: StephensCnty308] #5918804 09/08/15 10:22 PM
texassippi Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
I have a versa max waterfowl pro and I love it. I never have problems with it.

Re: Ok need help selecting the shotgun. Opinions [Re: StephensCnty308] #5919058 09/09/15 12:58 AM
N
Nick1 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
N
Once you buy it slight differences won't matter. You'll love it. Just pick the one you like and don't look back. I chose a beretta over benelli and absolutely love the thing.

Re: Ok need help selecting the shotgun. Opinions [Re: StephensCnty308] #5919098 09/09/15 01:24 AM
griff383 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Im a huge fan of inertia driven shotguns now, I've owned 5 gas guns including a Beretta. I used the Stoeger M3000 for 2 years and never had an issue, then upgraded to the Franchi Affinity a week ago. Both are WAY easier to clean and maintain than gas guns, I "tested" the Stoeger and had 400+ rounds before I cleaned it. I bet I could have hit 1000 and still had no issues.

Just my .02

Re: Ok need help selecting the shotgun. Opinions [Re: StephensCnty308] #5919103 09/09/15 01:25 AM
E
Esh and Hattie Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
Wife shoots an sbe II and has no problem cycling 1oz loads. Gun shoots well and is easy to clean. I vote sbe II

Re: Ok need help selecting the shotgun. Opinions [Re: StephensCnty308] #5919167 09/09/15 01:49 AM
S
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
S
I'm going to go shoot once again both the SBE 2 and the Vinci and make my decision. I have a feeling it's going to come down to the feel of the fore grip and how it feels in my hand.

The versa max is a nice gun but to bulky for my liking.

Until tomorrow we will see.......

Thank you all for the help
Updates tomorrow smile

Re: Ok need help selecting the shotgun. Opinions [Re: StephensCnty308] #5919277 09/09/15 02:33 AM
C
Catch Dog Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
I bought the SBE2 last year and for some damn reason had problem after problem. Gun smith fixed and bought it for what I paid. I Have Benelli Córdoba and it is Bad to the Bone! Benelli's are a very good option.

Re: Ok need help selecting the shotgun. Opinions [Re: StephensCnty308] #5919949 09/09/15 03:52 PM
L
LuckyDucker_TTU Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
L
Go with what fits you best and feels the most comfortable. For me that was an SBE 2. Shot a few Vincis and they just seem to bulky for me. My benelli shoots mostly everything i cycle through it with the exception of Winchester game loads. Those are the only shells I have issuers with. I typically only shoot federal or Remington. As I said before, go with what you feels most comfortable to you when you shoulder it.

Re: Ok need help selecting the shotgun. Opinions [Re: griff383] #5920014 09/09/15 04:16 PM
A
aerangis Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
A
Originally Posted By: griff383
Im a huge fan of inertia driven shotguns now.

+1

I've shot a few rounds of clays with an early production Versa Max, owned the SBE/SBE2 and a Super Vinci. The Super Vinci is without a doubt the better shotgun of the three in my opinion. It is a remarkable shotgun in so many ways, you have to own or use one to truly appreciate the subtle yet significant differences that make this shotgun special.

Here's a few reasons why I like the Super Vinci.

1. Benelli/Stoeger warranty and customer service is as good as it gets. For folks who are comfortable working on their shotguns, one phone call, and the part will be at your doorstep. Fortunately, their shotguns are typically reliable and problem free.

2. It's accurate, a tack driver. (6'oclock POA on a target).

3. The shotgun patterns consistently and as it should with the 5 included factory Crio chokes.

4. It has eaten everything I've fed it, from 2 3/4 1oz low brass to 3.5 magnums, with ZERO break-in.

5. It's Inertia driven, a significant advantage when hunting in water, rain, mud, or most importantly, wet environments in sub-freezing temps.

6. The inertia bolt mechanism is simple to maintain, easy to access, and contained entirely within the upper receiver. If the shotgun is flooded with water/mud, it's a simple matter to clean it in the field, unlike most other inertia shotguns that have the recoil spring mechanism protruding into the buttstock.

7. It's EXTREMELY simple to break down and clean, easily the simplest shotgun to deep clean that I own. It takes 30 seconds to break down; push in the detent on the bottom of the foregrip, rotate the barrel nut 45 degrees, and it's apart. It breaks down into three pieces somewhat similar to an AR; The Upper Receiver/Barrel, the Buttstock/Lower Receiver/Foregrip, and the Barrel Retaining nut. Reassembly is just as easy.

8. Excellent trigger, nice and crisp. My example breaks at a little over 3.5oz.

9. Beautiful fit and finish. Absolutely gorgeous shotgun.

10. It's been on the market long enough that it's a known entity. Plenty of reviews online.

The Super Vinci had great reviews, though I have to admit it's appearance and design took some getting used to. Initially, I didn't care for it. But the more I read about it, the more I realized Benelli might have a winner. What sealed the deal was the opportunity to use one last season for waterfowl. After spending a few days shooting one in some extremely difficult conditions, I knew I had to retire my new, 2 yo A5 and get one. The A5 is a good shotgun, but the Super Vinci is so much more advanced than the A5 and other shotguns that I've owned and/or used in many ways.

Randy Wakeman reviewed the Vinci a while back, the Super Vinci being identical in every respect save for the ability to handle 3.5in loads. This is an excerpt from his review....

What the Vinci is, is the most significant advance in the autoloading hunting shotgun in the last fifty years, certainly the most inspiring and important autoloader I've witnessed in my lifetime. It dwarfs the designs of many fine autoloaders (including some of Benelli's own product) substantially.

The Vinci accomplishes this not by living up to its hyperbole, but in several ways that define balanced hunting performance and reliability. Forearm nut issues are gone. Barrel ring and barrel hangar issues are gone. Unwanted stresses to the receiver and receiver wear are gone. Barrel extension issues are gone. Stress to the magazine tube is gone. Forearm vibration inflicted on the shooter is gone. Cracked gas pistons, fractured struts, and broken breechblock links are gone, as are rusty mainsprings and bent mainspring tubes. Balance issues and rattles associated with long underbarrel linkages, rods, and action parts are gone as well. They are all gone for good, and all associated issues are now off the table as well. The inline action, integrated with the barrel itself, does all this.

The Benelli stock system introduced on the Vinci is significant as well. As our comparative testing with the Cynergy showed, the current "ComforTech II" stock is an advance. The recoil pad and its softer durometer have been changed to better compliment the range of payloads actually used in hunting: 1-1/8 oz. - 1-3/8 oz. The larger and softer chevron pieces integrated with the stock clearly do some good-- of note in particular are the larger sections appearing on top near the butt and below near the receiver. For too long the ground-up garbage can lids presented as "synthetic techno-polymers" have done nothing functional in shotgun stocks. Here, the Vinci showed us that the stock and the recoil pad may combine to dynamically adjust to load intensity-- something that wood is just not equipped to do.

The Vinci is not the fastest action. The Vinci has more speed than you can use, though-- an important distinction. It isn't the softest shooting shotgun, either. That characteristic will likely go to a ponderous 14 pound trap gun, not to a responsive 7 pound field gun. More to the point, it is exceedingly comfortable to shoot for its weight-- and gets even more impressive as the payloads and velocities are upped beyond the wimpier clay target loads. This again substantiates the field prowess of the package.

It is an inspired design, destined to be amplified and further explored. I'd not be at all surprised if the Vinci gave birth to an entirely new line of shotguns using this platform as a springboard; it well should. The Vinci achieves a real-world, practical system of combinatorial excellence. For those that feel that statement is quite a mouthful, I tend to agree. I'm happy to just call it just a really great shotgun. It eliminates the weak spots of other autoloaders without adding new issues of its own. In the process, the Vinci brings the field autoloader to a whole new level. It is for all of these reasons, cited here in detail, that the Benelli Vinci has been awarded "SHOTGUN OF THE YEAR" for 2009 by myself, and the Guns and Shooting Online Staff. The Vinci is the best new hunting shotgun introduced in modern times.

Benelli was thinking WAY outside box when they designed it and it shows. It's unlike any other shotgun I know of with performance on par with the best shotguns on the market. The Super Vinci is a remarkable shotgun and in my opinion, well worth the cost.

....my $.02, and worth as much.

Re: Ok need help selecting the shotgun. Opinions [Re: StephensCnty308] #5920213 09/09/15 05:52 PM
S
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
S
I made my mind up this morning that it would be between the two Benelli's as the simple cleaning method they have over the versa max. Plus the fore grip bothered me as in how it felt in my hand. I love my remington products however this time it just isnt right for me.
i actually liked how the vinci broke down a little different than the black eagle however as
i stated before it came down to the grip and the Super Black Eagle.

Super Black Eagle 2 with Max5 print.

Thank you everyone for the help/opinions on each gun! I took all into consideration however as we all know feel in my hands is whats right.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide