Print Thread
Hog hunting tip (at feeders and bait sites) #5914526 09/05/15 08:52 PM
F
flintknapper Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Something that might help those who hunt hogs over a baited site, whether it is a feeder or some other spot that is regularly visited:

Get ‘em on their knees!

Digging a SHALLOW hole (6”-10” deep and no wider than about 10”) can help facilitate getting a better shot at a hog than you might normally get when ALL of the corn/bait is evenly broadcast.

More times than not, the dominate pig (if in a group) will ‘claim’ the hole and not be pushed away. When left to pick up ‘broadcast’ bait…that same hog would be moving about quite a bit, we’ve all seen how dynamic a group of feeding hogs can be.

Hogs (owing to their physical structure) cannot reach very far below the level of their hooves without either bending at the leg joints or going to their knees.

We know (under normal circumstances) that hogs are loathe to ‘strain’ themselves, so it is a simple matter to get them in that position (on their knees).

There are several advantages to this:

The hog is stationary for a longer period, providing you more time for a shot.

The hog that claims the hole will be the most dominate one (not necessarily the Lead Sow), but certainly a mature animal.

The hog feeding in the hole generally stays preoccupied and is MUCH less inclined to be looking for danger.

In almost every case, a hog feeding in a hole will change its position every few minutes, so if you don’t yet have a good shot angle…wait, its coming.

A hog in the positon above….is offering a HUGE target area and you should have plenty of time to make a good shot.

IMO… your aiming point should be anywhere from just behind the head, anywhere along the center-line of the neck, all the way to the middle of the shoulder.

DO NOT shoot hogs behind the shoulder! There is no reason for it. The area I just described is BIG and will drop hogs right in their tracks.

Tips:

*Get permission to dig a hole/holes if the property is not yours or not controlled by you.

*Do not dig a hole so deep that livestock (if present) can step in it and injure themselves)

*Do not FILL the hole completely; the bait level needs to be at least 4” below the surface or the hog will simply bend its legs to get at it.

*Hogs will eventually ‘root’ the hole out…making it much bigger, so figure on back filling that at some point.

IF you are having trouble with spooky hogs or would just do better if one would stand still a bit longer, give this a try.

Has worked well for me…the last 25 years.

Flint

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Hog hunting tip (at feeders and bait sites) [Re: flintknapper] #5914531 09/05/15 08:59 PM
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Good tip for us about to build feeder pens.

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Re: Hog hunting tip (at feeders and bait sites) [Re: flintknapper] #5914546 09/05/15 09:17 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
cheers When hogs show up on cams here.. Throw out an ice cream pail full of corn in a pile, repete, few nights then go sit... If theirs no pressure, works great... flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Hog hunting tip (at feeders and bait sites) [Re: 1860.colt] #5914911 09/06/15 04:24 AM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Killed a small Sow this evening just to demonstrate the technique stated above. Was hoping to get the Boar running with the group or maybe the Lead Sow, but neither of them would come fully under the hog lights. They both would stop at the edges. When I would light them up with my rifle light they REALLY got nervous and just moved farther away, so I just quit and tried to wait them out.

After 15 minutes they had moved back into the brush and had almost circled behind me. Only a couple of small boars, one sow and some piglets were left at the bait site by that time, so I just shot what was there, but the point of it was to show a hog feeding in the hole and the kind of shot it presents. My game camera actually recorded a video of the shot. I need to figure out to post videos here (if someone wants to tutor me).

Anyway, here is the Sow:

Here is the Sow just a few moments before I shot it:

If you think you might benefit from the technique, try it. If not....well pass it on to someone who might.

Re: Hog hunting tip (at feeders and bait sites) [Re: flintknapper] #5915063 09/06/15 01:25 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Cool. cheers

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Hog hunting tip (at feeders and bait sites) [Re: flintknapper] #5915065 09/06/15 01:27 PM
V
Vern1 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
V
This is a pretty cool trick here folks!

Never really thought about the pause while they are on their knees but it does make sense and works!
I've never dug holes that shallow but have used a skinnny hand auger to dig straight down 18" - 2' deep and put soured corn down there and cover it up.
The only problem is they dig BIG holes to get to the corn and do stay occupied for a while!
Since they dig such big holes, I haven't done it in a while....will have "retest" it soon.

Thanks for sharing Sir!
Another trick to put in the bag when I take first timers out for a night hunt.
That little extra pause could make the difference between a hit and miss to a "newbie" and boost their confidence!

Last edited by Vern1; 09/06/15 01:28 PM.

Cheers,
Vern1
Texans since The Old 300 in 1824
NRA Lifetime Member
Re: Hog hunting tip (at feeders and bait sites) [Re: flintknapper] #5915531 09/06/15 08:30 PM
M
mikei Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
I use another way to keep 'em occupied: a "hog log" made of PVC. Drill some corn kernel sized holes in the pipe, glue one end shut, screw a cap on the other end. Put a short tether on it, tied off to a fence post or the leg of a big, solid feeder, and the hogs will push the log around and around, and won't give up until I shoot 'em or they've emptied the hog log.

Last edited by mikei; 09/06/15 08:32 PM.
Re: Hog hunting tip (at feeders and bait sites) [Re: flintknapper] #5915635 09/06/15 10:34 PM
J
JCB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted By: flintknapper

DO NOT shoot hogs behind the shoulder! There is no reason for it.

Great post but on the above quote I will disagree. For those of us that like to eat them there is plenty reason to shoot them behind the shoulder.

Re: Hog hunting tip (at feeders and bait sites) [Re: JCB] #5916523 09/07/15 03:26 PM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted By: JCB
Originally Posted By: flintknapper

DO NOT shoot hogs behind the shoulder! There is no reason for it.

Great post but on the above quote I will disagree. For those of us that like to eat them there is plenty reason to shoot them behind the shoulder.

I will have to plead guilty to speaking in 'absolutes'.

Of course, there are exceptions to my statement.

Not only the circumstance you allude to (saving ALL possible meat), but also a situation where the animal is quartering away. So...clearly there ARE reasons to shoot behind the shoulder. Choose what is best for you.

Re: Hog hunting tip (at feeders and bait sites) [Re: flintknapper] #5917070 09/07/15 10:36 PM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
A few more pics (from the next night).

Not to labor the point, but this is pretty much what we want to see. This hog is stationary and presenting about as good a shot opportunity as you could hope for.

This is the same hog as above. Although there are several other hogs in the group, this Sow has ‘claimed’ the corn filled hole and will not give it up. Because the hole is still small (not yet rooted out) it is easy to control and video I have…shows the Sow was not even challenged. There is also corn broadcast around the hole, but the ‘prize’ is the larger amount.

At another bait site (same night) we can see a Hog Hole that is in need of repair. It has been rooted out to form a line about 3’ long and is also too deep. Both hogs are actually standing in it and if you were to watch the video, they are moving around quite a bit.

You still have the ‘pause’ benefit (they are staying pretty much in one spot), but movement is more than what is wanted. Also, the one hog on the right hand side has become too vertical a target, (because the hole is now too deep).

Backfill any rooted out holes and start a NEW hole when this happens.

Re: Hog hunting tip (at feeders and bait sites) [Re: flintknapper] #5919082 09/09/15 01:13 AM
M
mphunter Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
M
Great post. I use the pig pipe or hog log as he callas it and that has worked great as well. I've buried born before (my boys and I call it pig lasagne) but have not kept it low to get them crouching. Will be trying it soon!

Re: Hog hunting tip (at feeders and bait sites) [Re: flintknapper] #5923012 09/11/15 01:26 AM
Y
YankeeATX Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
Y
Thanks great post!!

Re: Hog hunting tip (at feeders and bait sites) [Re: YankeeATX] #5923035 09/11/15 01:37 AM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: YankeeATX
Thanks great post!!

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Hog hunting tip (at feeders and bait sites) [Re: flintknapper] #5924381 09/11/15 09:27 PM
oldoak2000 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
This should work great for a BOW shot! many thanks for the tip!!

Re: Hog hunting tip (at feeders and bait sites) [Re: oldoak2000] #5926449 09/13/15 05:33 PM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Predawn:

Got these three lined up this morning. This is the pic from the game camera just prior to my shot.

At the shot all three went down, but the Sow (third in line) managed to get back up and run under the neighbors fence not far away. Pretty good blood trail, but I didn't like the color of the blood. Might have hit her high over the shoulders. Have not yet recovered her.

The other two stayed down...though I had to shoot them high in order to get a decent angle on the sow.

Re: Hog hunting tip (at feeders and bait sites) [Re: flintknapper] #5926518 09/13/15 06:22 PM
D
der Teufel Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Two outta three ain't bad . . . and it sure sounds like the third one took a hit and may not survive. Way to go!

Keep after 'em!
--

I have two unwritten rules:
Re: Hog hunting tip (at feeders and bait sites) [Re: flintknapper] #5959486 10/04/15 12:54 AM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
This Boar is offering a mighty good shot opportunity. Any time they are relaxed enough to commit to going down on their knees (to get to the corn placed in the hole) they will usually stay there long enough to present a good angle for a well placed shot.

IF this guy shows up another night or two…I will go sit and wait on him.

But right now….I’ve got a younger boar on another bait site that is coming in every evening at 7:15 p.m. (give or take a few minutes).

That is NOT good for him! If I have an East wind tomorrow night, we will take him out of the breeding pool.

Re: Hog hunting tip (at feeders and bait sites) [Re: flintknapper] #5970820 10/10/15 08:18 PM
Twmaster Online Sick
Bird Dog
Online Sick
Bird Dog
Flint, earlier in this thread you mentioned a rifle light. Are you using white light or do you have some sort of red filter on the light?

Thank you.

Mike

Bring enough gun.
Re: Hog hunting tip (at feeders and bait sites) [Re: flintknapper] #5970839 10/10/15 08:30 PM
B
bull279 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B

I always aim at the red circle and X. You can drop a 200 pounder with a 22WMR if you shoot there.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

U.S. Army Military Police (ABN) 1998-2003
Re: Hog hunting tip (at feeders and bait sites) [Re: Twmaster] #5971299 10/11/15 03:10 AM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted By: Twmaster
Flint, earlier in this thread you mentioned a rifle light. Are you using white light or do you have some sort of red filter on the light?

Thank you.

I have both green and red LED lights to choose from. My preference is Red for hogs.

Re: Hog hunting tip (at feeders and bait sites) [Re: flintknapper] #5976036 10/13/15 11:18 PM
Twmaster Online Sick
Bird Dog
Online Sick
Bird Dog
Thank you. And they still saw the light? I thought they were supposed to be red-blind?

Mike

Bring enough gun.
Re: Hog hunting tip (at feeders and bait sites) [Re: Twmaster] #5976309 10/14/15 01:44 AM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted By: Twmaster
Thank you. And they still saw the light? I thought they were supposed to be red-blind?

In the sense that they do not see it as 'red', perhaps. But 25 years of shooting hogs with all manner of lights has taught me that the 'intensity' of the light and the angle of incidence is what really matters. Red light is NOT invisible to hogs, they simply don't see it as red. Green is actually in the spectrum they can see (somewhat), but again...they view it differently than we do.

The intensity of the light can (and often does) cast 'shadows' they readily pick up on. Especially if the light is cast at a low angle. That is the reason I have my LED 'hog lights' at my bait sites, high up in the trees, so that the 'source' is not as easily seen and the shadows created are minimal (the light having come from nearly above them).

As for how hogs will (or will not) react to light (even white light), depends very much on their past experiences and hunting pressure. Some react negatively to ANY kind of light cast upon them (except true Infrared) and others seem not to notice (or more likely...just don't care).

With rifle mounted lights...you simply take your chances. If circumstance permits (I.E. you have enough time) you might be able to start with the light above the animal and slowly lower it down onto them. That is a very old trick varmint hunters use and it works sometimes on hogs as well.

If you use LED lights at a bait site (typically a feeder) I highly recommend you have the light already on at dark.

Motion activated lights or any other triggering method (that doesn't involve a dimmer) is much more likely to spook them.

Yeah, I know..someone is going to pipe up and tell me...don't worry, they'll get used it. Yes, I know. I've been doing this a long time. wink

But trust me, IF you'll give the hogs the option of walking under/into an area they KNOW is lighted, you will get much better (and faster) results than if you ILLUMINATE them each time they try to approach.

Again, results will vary....according to the amount of pressure the hogs have received and past experiences.

30 years ago, where I live (Deep East Texas) you could shine a full white, bright light (read Q-Beam) on hogs...and they would either freeze...or not react at all to it. That won't happen much these days.

I'm sure some folks are thinking "well what does it really matter, what color you use, etc...just shoot as many as you can"!

While I won't argue the last part (shoot as many as you can), I think we should ALL learn to be efficient in our pursuit of these pests. I don't hunt them for sport, though I realize many folks do, and that's all well and good. I see them as pests... and would like to see NONE in the State of Texas.

BUT, I can tell you one thing for certain, any time you have an encounter with a mature hog...and you FAIL to kill it, it learned something!

They learn very quickly and don't have to have a 'bad' experience multiple times to figure things out. We don't need 'smarter' hogs, they will only be harder to kill. WE must hunt them smarter.

Now, I've been hunting hogs a long time...and do so regularly... but I don't claim to be an 'expert'. In fact...I strive to be ever the 'student'. So I am always happy to hear others ideas or rebuttals.

Flint.

Last edited by flintknapper; 10/14/15 01:52 AM.

Re: Hog hunting tip (at feeders and bait sites) [Re: flintknapper] #5976584 10/14/15 07:42 AM
M
Mako1970 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
I use a red/green light that I set up about 50 yards from the feeder. At this distance it gives me just enough light at the feeder to see the hogs and to see my crosshairs. I set up usually about an hour before dark and most times the pigs come at dark or within an hour after dark. If they're coming later, I wait until they start coming earlier. Trail cams are great!! Most of the time the hogs pay little to no attention to the light.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide