Print Thread
Questions when booking a deer hunt.... #5872244 08/10/15 08:49 PM
R
rtp Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
R
What kinds of questions do yall ask a potential outfitter when trying to book a low fence whitetail hunt here in Texas? Curious as to what is important and what isnt.

Let'em grow old
Re: Questions when booking a deer hunt.... [Re: rtp] #5872249 08/10/15 08:51 PM
B
BuffaloSpringsRD Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
It is important to call Cody Malone. He is very active on here and offers some of the best array of services I know about.

Re: Questions when booking a deer hunt.... [Re: rtp] #5872257 08/10/15 08:59 PM
B
BuffaloSpringsRD Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
Sorry I didn't see the "low fence" part of the question. I would still call Cody and pick his brain and see what he has available for this season. He always seems to harvest some studs, and his cull deer are always reasonably priced. Plus he can film the hunt for you which is an added bonus IMO

Re: Questions when booking a deer hunt.... [Re: rtp] #5872258 08/10/15 08:59 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
The size of the deer on the place, rough average. If they actually have the age structure in place if they're pushing a lot of mature "top end" deer. Does the place have lodging; extra?. Is there indoor plumbing inside that lodging. If having to stay at a hotel, do they get enough business to be priority on booking. How many other hunters will be booked. Size of the place. Are there a lot of hogs. Honesty goes a long ways. Are dates flexible. Are non-hunting guests allowed. Semi-guided, fully. flat fee? trophy fee? draw blood fee? Do you have permission to hunt the property. I'm sure I'm missing more, but try to get questions answered in writing so you can refer back to them.

Re: Questions when booking a deer hunt.... [Re: rtp] #5872259 08/10/15 09:01 PM
Cody Malone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I run 6-8 ranches in Texas but all are HF but if love to help ya out and book ya the hunt of your dreams!

Ask the following...
Property size?
Sucess rate percentage?
Shot opportunity percentage?
Size of average buck harvested?
Any photos of harvest?
Recent trail camera photos (date stamps need I be correct)
Any references?
Years in buisness?
Lodging & meals included?
Any extra cost?
Types of stands?
Average shot length?
Will you be the only person/group in camp?

HF Whitetail / Exotic / S. African Safaris

Proudly Sponsored by:
Horizon Firearms / Swarovski Optiks / Under Armour / Yeti Coolers / Costa Del Mar / Havalon Knives

Malone Outdoors, LLC
C/254-722-9031 or E/ maloneoutdoors@yahoo.com
Re: Questions when booking a deer hunt.... [Re: rtp] #5872260 08/10/15 09:03 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
1. I ask if they own the land or lease and how many acres.
2. I ask how many years they have been doing hunts.
3. I ask how many hunts will be booked and how many bucks are taken off the acreage annually(managing).
4. I ask about guides and how many years of experience they have.
5. I ask how many people will be in camp at one time and accommodations.
6. I ask about how the success rate is and the chance or opportunity is?
7. I ask about style of hunting that will be done.
8. I ask about quality and age of animals taken in the past seasons and most recent.
9. I ask about returning clients who re-book annually.
10.I ask for every reference they will give me and call them.
11.I ask if any hunting shows or celebrities will be their when I hunt, so I won't put up with that BS.
Sure their is more I ask.
Glad to see you back rtp cheers

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Questions when booking a deer hunt.... [Re: BuffaloSpringsRD] #5872263 08/10/15 09:03 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
References, recent pictures of deer shot/trail camera pics, what range of bucks might you expect to see. Also google his name to see what the reviews are like - there are several outfitter sites where hunters can offer reviews of their hunts with various outfitters and you can do a search on there. Also how many acres, how many other hunters there while you are, accommodations?

There are some great outfitters out there but also a few poor ones - tread carefully

You can't fix stupid
Re: Questions when booking a deer hunt.... [Re: rifleman] #5872572 08/11/15 12:13 AM
R
rtp Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: rifleman
The size of the deer on the place, rough average. And can you see pics of all the bucks taken the previous year to back that up. If they actually have the age structure in place if they're pushing a lot of mature "top end" deer.How do they know what the age structure is? Does the place have lodging; extra?. Is there indoor plumbing inside that lodging. If having to stay at a hotel, do they get enough business to be priority on booking. How many other hunters will be booked. Size of the place. Are there a lot of hogs. Honesty goes a long ways. Are dates flexible. Are non-hunting guests allowed. Semi-guided, fully. flat fee? trophy fee? draw blood fee? Do you have permission to hunt the property. I'm sure I'm missing more, but try to get questions answered in writing so you can refer back to them.
[color:#FF0000][/color]

Adding to a couple of points.

Last edited by rtp; 08/11/15 12:14 AM.

Let'em grow old
Re: Questions when booking a deer hunt.... [Re: stxranchman] #5872588 08/11/15 12:20 AM
R
rtp Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
1. I ask if they own the land or lease and how many acres. Not just the ranch size but how many of those acres are being hunted. How much of those acres are brush, woods, farmland, etc.
2. I ask how many years they have been doing hunts. Especially on the piece of property you are being sold a hunt on.
3. I ask how many hunts will be booked and how many bucks are taken off the acreage annually(managing). How did they arrive at that number?
4. I ask about guides and how many years of experience they have. On the ranch you are being sold a hunt to.
6. I ask about how the success rate is and the chance or opportunity is? Again on the particular ranch you are being sold a hunt to.
8. I ask about quality and age of animals taken in the past seasons and most recent. Ask for pics and scores from all the bucks taken last year
11.I ask if any hunting shows or celebrities will be their when I hunt, so I won't put up with that BS.

Thanks for the welcome back. It has been a while. up I have more to add. Just want to see if others touch on some points not listed yet.

Last edited by rtp; 08/11/15 12:21 AM.

Let'em grow old
Re: Questions when booking a deer hunt.... [Re: rtp] #5872621 08/11/15 12:36 AM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Good info here...and good to see you back sir cheers

Originally Posted By: cameron00
If I send my neighbors a text and ask them to give me feedback on my lawn and plant rye into a giant dong pattern, I'm probably going to get some less than positive feedback. Same goes here.
Re: Questions when booking a deer hunt.... [Re: rtp] #5872714 08/11/15 01:27 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: rtp
1. I ask if they own the land or lease and how many acres. Not just the ranch size but how many of those acres are being hunted. How much of those acres are brush, woods, farmland, etc.
2. I ask how many years they have been doing hunts. Especially on the piece of property you are being sold a hunt on.
3. I ask how many hunts will be booked and how many bucks are taken off the acreage annually(managing). How did they arrive at that number?
4. I ask about guides and how many years of experience they have. On the ranch you are being sold a hunt to.
6. I ask about how the success rate is and the chance or opportunity is? Again on the particular ranch you are being sold a hunt to.
8. I ask about quality and age of animals taken in the past seasons and most recent. Ask for pics and scores from all the bucks taken last year

Thanks for the welcome back. It has been a while. up I have more to add. Just want to see if others touch on some points not listed yet.

I would also ask if there is one owner or outfitter or other partner(s).
I would ask how long the outfitter(s) has been in business.
I would ask how many properties that are outfitted by the owner(s).
I would ask about how they work their pricing....what is considered a trophy or management..any fees added, etc.
I would ask what age class deer are allowed to be taken.
I would ask about the management plan in depth for each property outfitted.

Re: Questions when booking a deer hunt.... [Re: rtp] #5872820 08/11/15 02:33 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: rtp

Welcome back cheers

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Questions when booking a deer hunt.... [Re: rtp] #5872850 08/11/15 02:52 AM
S
SniperRAB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Names and numbers of past hunts...

Re: Questions when booking a deer hunt.... [Re: SniperRAB] #5872860 08/11/15 02:57 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: SniperRAB

I send this pic and ask if any of these guys look familiar...if the answer is yes, then I end the conversation ASAP peep

Re: Questions when booking a deer hunt.... [Re: stxranchman] #5872906 08/11/15 03:33 AM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: SniperRAB

I send this pic and ask if any of these guys look familiar...if the answer is yes, then I end the conversation ASAP peep

outlaws

Originally Posted By: cameron00
If I send my neighbors a text and ask them to give me feedback on my lawn and plant rye into a giant dong pattern, I'm probably going to get some less than positive feedback. Same goes here.
Re: Questions when booking a deer hunt.... [Re: rtp] #5873451 08/11/15 04:01 PM
J
John Humbert Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Guys, for what it's worth. My future son-in-law and his buddy did a axis doe hunt with Guadalupe Outfitters this past weekend near Waring. They saw TONS of very nice WTs on the low fence properties they have. Lots of 8's and some good 10's. It's gonna be a very good year down there (and just down the road in Boerne, it is shaping up to be a stellar year for WT).

Re: Questions when booking a deer hunt.... [Re: John Humbert] #5873580 08/11/15 05:48 PM
S
SniperRAB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: John Humbert
Guys, for what it's worth. My future son-in-law and his buddy did a axis doe hunt with Guadalupe Outfitters this past weekend near Waring. They saw TONS of very nice WTs on the low fence properties they have. Lots of 8's and some good 10's. It's gonna be a very good year down there (and just down the road in Boerne, it is shaping up to be a stellar year for WT).

Gonna be a Good Year Sir...I feel it up

Re: Questions when booking a deer hunt.... [Re: rtp] #5873601 08/11/15 06:00 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Have you ever fired a client...

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Questions when booking a deer hunt.... [Re: rtp] #5874018 08/11/15 10:11 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
This may rile some but in my opinion the amount of question has a lot to do with what the price of the hunt is.

Re: Questions when booking a deer hunt.... [Re: don k] #5876035 08/13/15 12:54 AM
R
rtp Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: don k
This may rile some but in my opinion the amount of question has a lot to do with what the price of the hunt is.

True but I think a lot of people go into it without asking detailed questions. Most outfitters give vague answers unless pressed. Most hunters hear what they want to hear and proceed accordingly. This can end up with frustration on both sides.

If you are being sold a high dollar low fence hunt, and you are told the place is protein feed that can mean a wide range of things. Take it another step further and ask when the outfitters starts the protein feed and when does he cut it off. Ask how many protein feeders he has. This will give you an idea of how many acres per station. Ask how many tons are feed on that ranch on avg each year. Just one example of how a vague answer of, yes we protein feed, needing to be followed up with some additional questions.

Let'em grow old
Re: Questions when booking a deer hunt.... [Re: rtp] #5917257 09/08/15 12:12 AM
R
rtp Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
R
With dove season starting up it made me think of something else that should be asked to a possible outfitter when purchasing a deer hunt. Ask what other hunting is taking place on the ranch. It would stink to show up and bow hunt a place that has been getting blown up by dove hunters prior to your hunt. Or even quail, pig, or varmint hunters. Just another factor which could make or break a possible package hunt.

Let'em grow old
Re: Questions when booking a deer hunt.... [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5917263 09/08/15 12:15 AM
R
rtp Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
Have you ever fired a client...

I did once. It was the only poor experience I had in 9 years. I felt incredibly blessed to have the clients I did because I have heard some horror stories. Of course when you are selling a limited number of hunts to cut some expenses, it is different that trying to pass a huge number of clients through a place so you can turn a profit.

Let'em grow old
Re: Questions when booking a deer hunt.... [Re: rtp] #5974994 10/13/15 02:06 PM
R
rtp Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
R
Regarding pictures given to you from an outfitter pay attention to the camera angle. If the camera is set up around knee high and is shooting "upward", it will make the buck appear much bigger than a camera that is set waist to belly button high.

Let'em grow old
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide