Forums46
Topics536,987
Posts9,719,151
Members86,987
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Doesn't it suck how the open carry Texas folks ruined it for everyone? #5814748 07/02/15 03:51 PM
C
cdoan02 Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
C
I heard this many times on this site over the past couple of years. I argued that they were a huge part in helping regain our gun rights, and was called an idiot, many many times. (Btw, I've never open carried a rifle out in public, but vehemently supported the rights of Open Carry Texas, as well as their methods)

Anyone want to admit they were wrong about Open Carry Texas? Or are some of y'all still worried about blood in the streets? Lol.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2015/07...en-carry-texas/

Re: Doesn't it suck how the open carry Texas folks ruined it for everyone? [Re: cdoan02] #5814779 07/02/15 04:08 PM
H
HicksHunter Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
H
I think you're getting a couple of groups mixed up. There were two large groups responsible for demonstrations and lobbying associated with these bills: Open Carry Texas (OCT), and Open Carry Tarrant County (OCTC). If I remember correctly, OCTC splintered off from OCT because of a dispute about how they should behave in public. News article here that mentions it: http://beforeitsnews.com/alternative/201...eo-2952196.html

Open Carry Texas is cool. Open Carry Tarrant County is pants-on-head retarded, and are responsible for most of the negative publicity associated with the bill. They're the guys that carried SKSs and such at the low ready in a Chipotle, and tried to intimidate a legislator into passing open carry legislation. They nearly single-handedly had the bills declared DOA.

Chipotle:

Intimidating Legislator:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbfxRQRQOTY

Open Carry Texas, however, maintains a much more positive image, and hasn't been responsible for any big news stories about how aggressive they are, or how poorly they represent the movement. Whenever people mention idiots carrying guns openly to support the bill, they're talking about OCTC.

Last edited by HicksHunter; 07/02/15 04:10 PM.
Re: Doesn't it suck how the open carry Texas folks ruined it for everyone? [Re: cdoan02] #5816137 07/03/15 03:51 PM
D
DeadRooster Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
Which group is CJ Grisham a part of? Whichever it is, that guy is bad, bad news and a bad representative of open carry, the second amendment, the US Army (of which I am a Veteran), and sane people everywhere.

Re: Doesn't it suck how the open carry Texas folks ruined it for everyone? [Re: DeadRooster] #5816341 07/03/15 08:39 PM
C
cdoan02 Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: DeadRooster
Which group is CJ Grisham a part of? Whichever it is, that guy is bad, bad news and a bad representative of open carry, the second amendment, the US Army (of which I am a Veteran), and sane people everywhere.

He is Open Carry Texas.

And I will vehemently disagree with everything you said about him.

Re: Doesn't it suck how the open carry Texas folks ruined it for everyone? [Re: HicksHunter] #5816342 07/03/15 08:40 PM
C
cdoan02 Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: HicksHunter
I think you're getting a couple of groups mixed up. There were two large groups responsible for demonstrations and lobbying associated with these bills: Open Carry Texas (OCT), and Open Carry Tarrant County (OCTC). If I remember correctly, OCTC splintered off from OCT because of a dispute about how they should behave in public. News article here that mentions it: http://beforeitsnews.com/alternative/201...eo-2952196.html

Open Carry Texas is cool. Open Carry Tarrant County is pants-on-head retarded, and are responsible for most of the negative publicity associated with the bill. They're the guys that carried SKSs and such at the low ready in a Chipotle, and tried to intimidate a legislator into passing open carry legislation. They nearly single-handedly had the bills declared DOA.

Chipotle:

Intimidating Legislator:

Open Carry Texas, however, maintains a much more positive image, and hasn't been responsible for any big news stories about how aggressive they are, or how poorly they represent the movement. Whenever people mention idiots carrying guns openly to support the bill, they're talking about OCTC.

No, I know which is which. As the post above states, people here have negative opinions of OCT, even though they have accomplished so much.

Re: Doesn't it suck how the open carry Texas folks ruined it for everyone? [Re: cdoan02] #5817088 07/04/15 01:44 PM
T
T Bone Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Doan, you're suffering from a little revisionist history.. The majority of the posts on this subject have supported the ultimate goal of OCT, but were certainly critical of Kory w/ OCTC and his ridiculous tactics.. There was obviously disagreement from THF'ers on whether they would OC or not, but few actually said that the right to OC was a bad idea..

You can thump your chest & yell "I told you so" as loud as you want.. Our issue was w/ Kory Watkins & OCTC, which did nothing to help your cause..

Originally Posted by Jungleexplorer
I really hate to do what I am about to do, because it will be very painful for you.

Re: Doesn't it suck how the open carry Texas folks ruined it for everyone? [Re: cdoan02] #5817340 07/04/15 05:49 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: cdoan02
I heard this many times on this site over the past couple of years. I argued that they were a huge part in helping regain our gun rights, and was called an idiot, many many times. (Btw, I've never open carried a rifle out in public, but vehemently supported the rights of Open Carry Texas, as well as their methods)

Anyone want to admit they were wrong about Open Carry Texas? Or are some of y'all still worried about blood in the streets? Lol.

We were open caring long before these idiots damn near got it shut down, I'll give them no credit. As far as CJ goes my opinion of him is very low.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Doesn't it suck how the open carry Texas folks ruined it for everyone? [Re: cdoan02] #5817801 07/05/15 02:48 AM
G
Gravytrain Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
G
Anyone who throws on tac gear and an AR-15 to go into Chipolte is not trying to help
anybody who cares about gun rights IMO.

Upon us all, upon us all, a little rain must fall
Re: Doesn't it suck how the open carry Texas folks ruined it for everyone? [Re: HWY_MAN] #5817865 07/05/15 04:02 AM
R
red bluff Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: HWY_MAN

We were open caring long before these idiots damn near got it shut down, I'll give them no credit. As far as CJ goes my opinion of him is very low.

I will second that motion. He has done much more harm than good.

Re: Doesn't it suck how the open carry Texas folks ruined it for everyone? [Re: cdoan02] #5818492 07/05/15 09:22 PM
D
DHJenkins Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
There was an OC bill introduced into the house in the 82nd & 83rd sessions, which were both before OCT & OCTC were formed.

Re: Doesn't it suck how the open carry Texas folks ruined it for everyone? [Re: DHJenkins] #5819005 07/06/15 03:38 AM
C
cdoan02 Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: DHJenkins
There was an OC bill introduced into the house in the 82nd & 83rd sessions, which were both before OCT & OCTC were formed.

And how far did those get?

Re: Doesn't it suck how the open carry Texas folks ruined it for everyone? [Re: red bluff] #5819011 07/06/15 03:41 AM
C
cdoan02 Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: red bluff

That is an opposing opinion to mine... Care to elaborate and perhaps provide a few facts to support your opinion? Can you point to one example of "harm"?

I personally believe that extending gun rights to include open carry of handguns in addition to allowing campus carry are GOOD. Perhaps you believe it is harmful for Texas citizens to have increased gun rights?

Re: Doesn't it suck how the open carry Texas folks ruined it for everyone? [Re: cdoan02] #5819058 07/06/15 04:11 AM
C
cyphertext Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: red bluff

That is an opposing opinion to mine... Care to elaborate and perhaps provide a few facts to support your opinion? Can you point to one example of "harm"?

I personally believe that extending gun rights to include open carry of handguns in addition to allowing campus carry are GOOD. Perhaps you believe it is harmful for Texas citizens to have increased gun rights?

Open carry passed in spite of OCT and CJ Grisham, not because of him. I find it hilarious that the OCT folks have such a short memory and forget that they did not support the OC bill that passed. Their bill was for unlicensed OC and it was dead on arrival.

Let's also not forget that CJ Grisham badmouthed both the TSRA and the NRA for wanting to pull the Dutton amendment when it appeared that it could jeopardize the passage of the bill. He made them out to be enemies of the constitution, blah blah blah, and then ended up supporting the removal of the amendment to pass the legislation... just as TSRA and the NRA had been advising all along.

Also, isn't it ironic that CJ tried to distance himself and OCT from Kory Watkins? While CJ agreed with Kory on the message, he disagreed on tactics... much like most here disagreed with OCT tactics.

Re: Doesn't it suck how the open carry Texas folks ruined it for everyone? [Re: cdoan02] #5819090 07/06/15 04:34 AM
D
DHJenkins Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
Originally Posted By: DHJenkins

And how far did those get?

Seeing as how HB700 was the precursor for HB910 and the NRA & TSRA decided to push for passage in the 84th session (where it passed) before the 83rd was over (again, before OCT & OCTC were formed), quite far indeed. The TX leg only meets for a few months every other year, so like a lot of bills, they don't make it to the floor on their first go-round.

You see, there's a big difference between a bill getting voted down and a bill dying in committee because there's no time to get to it. Of course, anyone who actually understands how the legislature works knows this, just like they know OCT basically jumped onto a winning horse as it was crossing the finish line.

Re: Doesn't it suck how the open carry Texas folks ruined it for everyone? [Re: cdoan02] #5821292 07/07/15 05:13 PM
C
cdoan02 Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
C
Hmm... So the increase of thousands of emails, letters, and calls from voters that were organized by OCT had no effect.

Law-abiding citizens performing a lawful action (open carry) led many here to state that these open carriers were "harmful" to gun rights. They exclaimed that in addition to impeding the path of the open carry bill, these guys would also cause the open carry of rifles to be deemed illegal. Neither happened.

But, screw facts. You "feel" like these guys are bad, and have a negative effect. Although you have absolutely zero factual evidence to support this position, your "feelings" comprise the totality of your reasoning.

Quite expected from the majority of the members here.

Marijuana is bad, because federal law says so!!!!

But federal government forcing a Christian couple to bake a cake for a homosexual couple is wrong.

So much hypocrisy. So much back and forth. This site is full of pure entertainment for me.

I suppose the open carriers of Colorado had no effect on the recall efforts, either.

Re: Doesn't it suck how the open carry Texas folks ruined it for everyone? [Re: cdoan02] #5821300 07/07/15 05:16 PM
C
cdoan02 Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
C
And I know how the Texas legislature works. Bills die in committee when the elected officials believe them to not be important to their constituents. Bills get worked on when constituents speak up.

But you're right. Probably just sitting around and waiting would have gotten it done. It's a "process".

Some of yall should read some books.

Re: Doesn't it suck how the open carry Texas folks ruined it for everyone? [Re: cdoan02] #5821402 07/07/15 06:43 PM
C
cyphertext Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
So, did OCT support licensed open carry? Did OCT members write letters to their reps for licensed open carry? Was the little demonstration that made our legislators want panic buttons in their offices helpful to the cause? You didn't address any of my comments. Licensed OC passed in spite of, not because of the OCT groups.

Last edited by cyphertext; 07/07/15 06:44 PM.
Re: Doesn't it suck how the open carry Texas folks ruined it for everyone? [Re: cdoan02] #5822818 07/08/15 03:14 PM
D
DeadRooster Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
You've built a lot of strawmen there, CDoan.

Re: Doesn't it suck how the open carry Texas folks ruined it for everyone? [Re: cdoan02] #5824399 07/09/15 02:23 PM
S
SR025 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Whataburger isn't allowing the tacticool operators in their stores

Re: Doesn't it suck how the open carry Texas folks ruined it for everyone? [Re: SR025] #5824514 07/09/15 03:27 PM
C
cyphertext Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: SR025
Whataburger isn't allowing the tacticool operators in their stores

Funny thing is Whataburger has stores in Oklahoma and other states that have open carry and it hasn't been an issue. I'm not sure if it was OCT or Mom's Demand Action that poised this question to Whataburger and basically forced them to take a position.

Re: Doesn't it suck how the open carry Texas folks ruined it for everyone? [Re: cdoan02] #5827780 07/11/15 10:42 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Yeah. I'm sure you'll look like Clint Eastwood packing your piece around. But really, who do you expect to intimidate.grin I think as far as furthering our rights it was good but the practicality of it is limited imo.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Doesn't it suck how the open carry Texas folks ruined it for everyone? [Re: cdoan02] #5858403 08/01/15 04:25 PM
Ramsey Offline
Pepe' Le Pew
Pepe' Le Pew
I think you put thus post up to incite another argument or pound your chest declaring you are the only smart guy in the room. For those of us who have a CHL and want the ability to protect ourselves. That is what is the most important issue. No I do not support open carry, because there is a segment of the population that are not comfortable with strangers carrying guns. My mom fits in this catagory. I guess that my views are stupid and liberal to you!

Big Beckett!!
Re: Doesn't it suck how the open carry Texas folks ruined it for everyone? [Re: HicksHunter] #5868852 08/08/15 04:01 AM
T
turbogrill Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
Originally Posted By: HicksHunter

Chipotle:

Intimidating Legislator:

My god...what a gang of idiots.

I am all pro guns but when I see this it feels like not everyone should be allowed to have weapons.

As you say this is what ruins it for the rest of us. If they ban online ammo sells it is due to knuckleheads like this.

Funny comment from the youtube video comments:
"Do all ammosexuals sound like they've been inhaling helium?"

Haha, he is so right.

Re: Doesn't it suck how the open carry Texas folks ruined it for everyone? [Re: cdoan02] #5916641 09/07/15 04:53 PM
B
beech96w Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Michael Yon sums up the OCT guys nicely:
http://www.michaelyon-online.com/be-a-palm-tree-tobacco-rebel-flag-2nd-amendment.htm

TSRA did a great job of getting some good legislation passed this year despite all the OCT shenanigans.

Re: Doesn't it suck how the open carry Texas folks ruined it for everyone? [Re: cdoan02] #5946934 09/26/15 12:34 AM
B
bull279 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
A guy I work with has a brother in Arizona where there is open carry. He says that when he goes out to visit he hardly ever sees anyone open carrying. I have seen some of the open carry guys demonstrating in Waco and they were definitely tacticool operators. The ones I saw looked more ridiculous than something that you would WANT to see. I know the open carry rifles is a bit different than open carry handguns, but I personally feel that an unknown threat is more intimidating than a known one. If I were gonna knock off a store and saw a guy open carrying, I know who my first point to control would be, but if you don't see any open carry guns, you have no clue what law-abiding CHL carrying is in the store and is gonna draw down and smoke you. Of course, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Last edited by bull279; 09/26/15 12:35 AM.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

U.S. Army Military Police (ABN) 1998-2003
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide