Riding Mower Issue #5782778 06/10/15 06:19 PM
R
RCINTX Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
R
All,

I am having issues with my riding mower. Originally, I could get it started but once it was killed the engine would flood and no longer turn over until the gas was drained and the spark plug removed.

I fixed that issue by rebuilding the carburetor and cleaning out the electric fuel solenoid. I also added a fuel cutoff so I could avoid issues if my solenoid got stuck again.

However, I still have the issue of the motor not turning over sometimes. If I removed the spark plug (which does not have gas in it) and then hit the starter it turns over fine. I can then put the plug back in and start it up with no issue. It is like the motor is hydro locked, but there is no fuel in it.

Any ideas?

Re: Riding Mower Issue [Re: RCINTX] #5782802 06/10/15 06:30 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
What type of engine? Sounds like your valves are out of adjustment

Briggs?

Re: Riding Mower Issue [Re: RCINTX] #5782803 06/10/15 06:31 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
any fuel getting in the oil?

Re: Riding Mower Issue [Re: RCINTX] #5782823 06/10/15 06:47 PM
R
RCINTX Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
R
It is an older MTD. The motor is a 17.5HP Briggs and Stratton OHV. I changed the oil thinking that there was probably fuel in the oil, and there may have been some, but it didnt look overly gassy. I figured from the flooding there would be some and went ahead and changed it.

Re: Riding Mower Issue [Re: RCINTX] #5782853 06/10/15 07:09 PM
J
John2 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
When my mower did that I rock the key from start to on then back to start a couple times and sometimes it would start and sometimes it wouldn't.My battery is covered and I cant see it but I know when it does that the cables are pretty corroded.Once cleaned it's good to go again.

Not all those that wander are lost..

Back The Men in Blue that wears a badge

Re: Riding Mower Issue [Re: RCINTX] #5782866 06/10/15 07:18 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
^yup clean the cables connections or re crimp the ends or even replace all the cables if need be... also check your ground at the frame..

If not that it can be the small solenoid prolly located under your seat bolted to the frame.. follow the power wire until you find it...

Other than this older briggs are really bad about throwing valves out of time. The factory specs and feller gages will let you know that quick

Re: Riding Mower Issue [Re: RCINTX] #5782914 06/10/15 07:43 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Mine did something similar, the battery was 3.5 years old and weak. I replaced the battery and hasn't happened since.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Riding Mower Issue [Re: RCINTX] #5782977 06/10/15 08:19 PM
oldoak2000 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
1. jump it (to car/truck) and make sure it's not just a weak/bad battery (if you don't keep battery 'maintained' over winter it will only last a season or two. will last 5+ years if properly maintained)
2. Check wires from battery to starter # solenoid (connections tight and corrosion free).
3. Use jumper cables to jump directly to starter (bypassing solenoid); if this works, solenoid bad)
4. Starters do wear out (and grow 'weak' before they finally fail) 5+ years old; I had one do this, and act just like you wrote. Replaced (after trying 1-3) and mower was like new again.

Re: Riding Mower Issue [Re: RCINTX] #5783091 06/10/15 09:33 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Sticking valve maybe if every one elses suggestions don't work. Had a similar problem with the generator after it had old, bad fuel and sitting to long, one valve was stuck when I got it from the seller. Runs like a top now.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Riding Mower Issue [Re: Navasot] #5786809 06/13/15 11:10 AM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Navasot
^yup clean the cables connections or re crimp the ends or even replace all the cables if need be... also check your ground at the frame..

If not that it can be the small solenoid prolly located under your seat bolted to the frame.. follow the power wire until you find it...

Other than this older briggs are really bad about throwing valves out of time. The factory specs and feller gages will let you know that quick

You best answer. The problem is most likely a weak battery or just poor connections on on the battery, starter, or ground to the engine frame.

I recently had a starting problem with my tractor where it refused to start after a long morning of use. Turned out to be nothing more than a bad ground cable connection at the frame end.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Riding Mower Issue [Re: Western] #5786816 06/13/15 11:18 AM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Western
Sticking valve maybe if every one elses suggestions don't work. Had a similar problem with the generator after it had old, bad fuel and sitting to long, one valve was stuck when I got it from the seller. Runs like a top now.

If the engine turns over with the spark plug removed, this would indicate all valves are free, except perhaps with one stuck in the open position. I suspect what you guys are referring to is a valve stuck in the closed position that's keeping the crankshaft from turning, thereby freezing the starter. IMO, this is far more likely to occur on a cold engine that's been setting idle for a long period of time.

I have to agree with those who recommend checking the electrical connections first that would limit current to a hot starter.

As for a timing issue, my experience has always been that of shearing the pin on the flywheel after hitting something and throwing the flywheel out of time. I've learned that when this happens and you replace the pin and reinstall the flywheel, you better hammer torque the bolt if you want to keep from shearing the new pin as soon as you try to restart the engine.

Re: Riding Mower Issue [Re: Texas Dan] #5786902 06/13/15 12:54 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan

If the engine turns over with the spark plug removed, this would indicate all valves are free, except perhaps with one stuck in the open position. I suspect what you guys are referring to is a valve stuck in the closed position that's keeping the crankshaft from turning, thereby freezing the starter. IMO, this is far more likely to occur on a cold engine that's been setting idle for a long period of time.

I have to agree with those who recommend checking the electrical connections first that would limit current to a hot starter.

As for a timing issue, my experience has always been that of shearing the pin on the flywheel after hitting something and throwing the flywheel out of time. I've learned that when this happens and you replace the pin and reinstall the flywheel, you better hammer torque the bolt if you want to keep from shearing the new pin as soon as you try to restart the engine.

Dan, the genset would run, even with the stuck valve, essentially ran like a single cylinder, rough and smoky (v twin style) According to the guys at smokestak .com, pretty common now with ethanol fuels and small engines left to sit. Compression test told me which side to open the head on.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Riding Mower Issue [Re: Western] #5787540 06/13/15 11:10 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
T
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan

Dan, the genset would run, even with the stuck valve, essentially ran like a single cylinder, rough and smoky (v twin style) According to the guys at smokestak .com, pretty common now with ethanol fuels and small engines left to sit. Compression test told me which side to open the head on.

Thanks!

Last edited by Texas Dan; 06/13/15 11:10 PM.

Re: Riding Mower Issue [Re: RCINTX] #5790378 06/15/15 10:29 PM
S
skidmore88 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Part of maintaing that engine is keeping the valves in adjustment.

Re: Riding Mower Issue [Re: RCINTX] #5800667 06/22/15 09:33 PM
R
RCINTX Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
R
First off, thanks for all the responses. I apologize for my delay.

I charged the battery all day yesterday, and put it back on last night. It cranked right up, and I took my son for a ride around the block. I let it sit for an hour or so, and then started it again and again, it cranked right up. I think that the battery must have just been a lot lower on juice than I thought it was. I must have ran it down in the troubleshooting phase.

Thanks again all, I think I am good to go as of right now.

Re: Riding Mower Issue [Re: RCINTX] #5800821 06/22/15 11:00 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: RCINTX
All,

I am having issues with my riding mower. Originally, I could get it started but once it was killed the engine would flood and no longer turn over until the gas was drained and the spark plug removed.

I fixed that issue by rebuilding the carburetor and cleaning out the electric fuel solenoid. I also added a fuel cutoff so I could avoid issues if my solenoid got stuck again.

However, I still have the issue of the motor not turning over sometimes. If I removed the spark plug (which does not have gas in it) and then hit the starter it turns over fine. I can then put the plug back in and start it up with no issue. It is like the motor is hydro locked, but there is no fuel in it.

Any ideas?

Check your battery.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide