texashuntingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
ckhsupplies, Pinkcamo1911, Travelinman, Kmat, janeyu
65408 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
dogcatcher 93,373
bill oxner 55,200
stxranchman 54,730
SnakeWrangler 46,061
RKHarm24 44,585
rifleman 44,430
BMD 41,029
Big Orn 37,484
txshntr 35,565
Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums45
Topics432,525
Posts6,281,035
Members65,408
Most Online16,728
Mar 25th, 2012
Print Thread
Pup's first time out #5626187 02/28/15 06:07 PM
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 53
S
Swimmer Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 53
This past weekend, I took my 8 month old Brit up to Walton Ranch outside of Houston for his first experience on live quail. What a day! We had 15 birds planted in a generally small area to try and ensure the pup got some good experience.

I was the proudest first-time owner when he went from zig-zagging across the field to stopped dead in his tracks locked on a pair of quail. Of course...I know this is 99.9% due to instinct and 0.1% due to our handful of yard training sessions.

After ~two hours, we had bagged 10 of the 15 quail, and pup hadn't bumped a single one. I kept him on a 25 foot check cord the whole time, with me actually holding back on the cord for 75% of the time and pup dragging it behind him the other 25%. My dad was my "designated shooter." I can't want to get back in the yard for some more training and hopefully back into the field before too long as well!

One of his first points:


After a decent retrieve (needs more work here for sure):


A good days work!

Re: Pup's first time out [Re: Swimmer] #5626398 02/28/15 07:49 PM
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 966
R
rdh1 Offline
Tracker
Offline
Tracker
R
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 966
nice


Zeva,Buck & Sandy
[Linked Image]
Re: Pup's first time out [Re: Swimmer] #5626527 02/28/15 08:56 PM
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 55,200
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
Offline
THF Celebrity
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 55,200
Great.


Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill


[Linked Image]




Re: Pup's first time out [Re: bill oxner] #5627474 03/01/15 04:23 AM
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,096
B
bobcat1 Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
B
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,096
Awesome day up


Bobby Barnett

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2019 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3