Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Bryant 16% deer pellet #5621683 02/26/15 04:22 PM
Junebug Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
Anyone use there 16% deer pellet out west around Cisco area. The mix appears to be good and it is a alfalfa based protien. Looking for a good protien pellet

Re: Bryant 16% deer pellet [Re: Junebug] #5622433 02/26/15 10:16 PM
RedSnake Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
I use it in Parker county and denton county. Deer took to it right away. I use 50-50 mix of their 16% pellet and their roasted soy.

Re: Bryant 16% deer pellet [Re: Junebug] #5622588 02/26/15 11:53 PM
N
n-all Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
N
We use Buck Ration from McKinney Feed n Seed..roasted soy bean and split corn 18% crude protien..$8.50 a 50

Re: Bryant 16% deer pellet [Re: Junebug] #5622598 02/26/15 11:57 PM
Junebug Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
There deer pellet is $10 bucks a 50, maybe I should talk to them about a 50/50 blend and see what they say.
I see there are a lot of big name company's saleing protien mixes, I would imagine the local feed stores would have a better feel on what the deer in the area what and need.

Re: Bryant 16% deer pellet [Re: Junebug] #5622713 02/27/15 01:09 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
What is the fiber %? What are the Calcium and Phospurus amounts? How much salt is in it? The mineral, trace mineral and vitamin package are far more important in any feed than the protein/price. Certain minerals can be very expensive to add in small amounts in a deer ration. If a feed is cheaper is usually due to what is being left out and what is added in as filler.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Bryant 16% deer pellet [Re: Junebug] #5622787 02/27/15 01:37 AM
H
Halfadozen Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
We are out near Cisco, just north, and have used a pellet made for goats. Yeah, i know I will be chastised for this.... banana Pretty much same protein @14%, and fairly close to fiber, calcium, phosphorous and other trace minerals as a more expensive "deer" pellet. Had a friend who owns a feed and seed store in Justin do a comparison of a brand name deer pellet, versus the bag tag I brought in and he said the goat ration (untreated) was a good deal compared to the higher priced deer pellet. We have seen considerable results in overall herd health and antler quality during a difficult drought time over the last 5 years.

Freedom is a fragile thing ...Those who have known freedom, and then lost it, have never known it again.
-- Ronald Reagan

Re: Bryant 16% deer pellet [Re: Junebug] #5622829 02/27/15 01:54 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
The type of mineral is more important than the amount of it. Some minerals used in feeds will not be utilized by a deer. You are paying for something the deer get nothing from. It labels nice but does nothing for the deer. Goes in one end and out the other as fertilizer. You really can not compare a feed label to another feed label unless you look the ingredients then do a feed analysis to see how well they compare on an as fed basis.

Re: Bryant 16% deer pellet [Re: Junebug] #5622903 02/27/15 02:29 AM
dgilbert Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Been using using it for years, I get it directly from the mill in Aledo.

Re: Bryant 16% deer pellet [Re: Junebug] #5622954 02/27/15 02:51 AM
Junebug Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
That is where I was going to pick some up sat morning on the way out. Do they sell it somewhere else besides the plant?
Stxranchman
I will post the break down when I get it and you can give me your thoughts.
I don't see the deer pellet on there website.

Re: Bryant 16% deer pellet [Re: Halfadozen] #5622996 02/27/15 03:11 AM
D
dawaba Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: Halfadozen
We are out near Cisco, just north, and have used a pellet made for goats. Yeah, i know I will be chastised for this.... banana Pretty much same protein @14%, and fairly close to fiber, calcium, phosphorous and other trace minerals as a more expensive "deer" pellet. Had a friend who owns a feed and seed store in Justin do a comparison of a brand name deer pellet, versus the bag tag I brought in and he said the goat ration (untreated) was a good deal compared to the higher priced deer pellet. We have seen considerable results in overall herd health and antler quality during a difficult drought time over the last 5 years.

I won't chastise you. In fact, Dr. James Jensen, et al, at A&M have shown that the 14% goat ration works great for deer. Also, he says that 16% protein is about the top end that deer can utilize. All of us who've been feeding 20-22% protein are spending more money than necessary.

It's easy to rationalize that if 16 is good, then 22 MUST be better.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple.....and wrong." H. L. Mencken
Re: Bryant 16% deer pellet [Re: Junebug] #5623129 02/27/15 04:25 AM
H
Halfadozen Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
STX, my friend did an analysis of ingredients between the,2 options and he said you will be fine with the untreated goat pellet. Protein, trace minerals, vitamins are well whithim standards for deer fee.but. Don't buy the higher end treated feed as it is specifically for a goat. Some sort of additive for a parasite I think.

Freedom is a fragile thing ...Those who have known freedom, and then lost it, have never known it again.
-- Ronald Reagan

Re: Bryant 16% deer pellet [Re: Junebug] #5623418 02/27/15 01:34 PM
dgilbert Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Junebug
That is where I was going to pick some up sat morning on the way out. Do they sell it somewhere else besides the plant?

Best to look on their website and it gives you the dealers in the state, if you find one be sure to call them, I found out at one dealer that they didn't take plastic card of any kind.

Re: Bryant 16% deer pellet [Re: Halfadozen] #5623428 02/27/15 01:41 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
STX, my friend did an analysis of ingredients between the,2 options and he said you will be fine with the untreated goat pellet. Protein, trace minerals, vitamins are well whithim standards for deer fee.but. Don't buy the higher end treated feed as it is specifically for a goat. Some sort of additive for a parasite I think.

Is this friend making money off of you? grin

Re: Bryant 16% deer pellet [Re: dawaba] #5623484 02/27/15 02:09 PM
S
SniperRAB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: dawaba

I won't chastise you. In fact, Dr. James Jensen, et al, at A&M have shown that the 14% goat ration works great for deer. Also, he says that 16% protein is about the top end that deer can utilize. All of us who've been feeding 20-22% protein are spending more money than necessary.

Is there a copy of the article...Thats a tough one to swallow, and I feel Demographics come into play as far as where you are feeding and natural food source and timing of strain on a nursing Doe or Rutted out Buck...

Re: Bryant 16% deer pellet [Re: SniperRAB] #5623520 02/27/15 02:27 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: SniperRAB

Is there a copy of the article...Thats a tough one to swallow, and I feel Demographics come into play as far as where you are feeding and natural food source and timing of strain on a nursing Doe or Rutted out Buck...

i've read this as well, its similar to what i have read about human protein consumption...some say that humans can only "use" about 25-30g of protein at one time, yet some still drink the shake boasting 50g of protein. in one end and out the other with most of it.

Originally Posted By: cameron00
If I send my neighbors a text and ask them to give me feedback on my lawn and plant rye into a giant dong pattern, I'm probably going to get some less than positive feedback. Same goes here.
Re: Bryant 16% deer pellet [Re: Junebug] #5623562 02/27/15 02:48 PM
S
SniperRAB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
We run 18,000-20,000 lbs of 20% Lyssy and Eckel every 6-8 weeks. Working with a Biologist I don't see it changing. Not doubting Jhouse, just curious if someone had access to the article.

Re: Bryant 16% deer pellet [Re: Junebug] #5623615 02/27/15 03:04 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
and of course i cant find it anywhere grin

Originally Posted By: cameron00
If I send my neighbors a text and ask them to give me feedback on my lawn and plant rye into a giant dong pattern, I'm probably going to get some less than positive feedback. Same goes here.
Re: Bryant 16% deer pellet [Re: Junebug] #5623627 02/27/15 03:11 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
The amount of protein deer can utilized is directly related to the quality / nutritional content & quantity of natural browse in any given area.
In one area deer may only be able to utilize 8%, in another area they may be able to utilize 24%.

Then all sorts of other biological & environmental factors need to be taken into consideration.

Re: Bryant 16% deer pellet [Re: Halfadozen] #5624144 02/27/15 07:51 PM
L
Lonnie Paul Walker Jr. Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L

Not to stress, I know many breeders that use a sheep and goat pellet and get along fine. It does not have to have a deer on it and cost $5 more a bag to be good. Good luck.

Lonnie Paul Walker Jr.

"Lonnie Walker Outdoors"
Outfitter / Professional Guide
Wildlife Consultant
817-598-5338

Re: Bryant 16% deer pellet [Re: Junebug] #5624182 02/27/15 08:05 PM
L
Lonnie Paul Walker Jr. Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
I can say I had a hard time getting my pasture deer to eat bryants, I tried it because I could get it at cost. I went as far as trying to utilize it in my pens, and they would really not eat much if any at all. I have my own custom blend that I top dress on Record Rack in the pens, and just use Record Racks Pasture formula now with great results. I know many guys will argue this and that, but as long as your trying to help out in the pasture with something you are ahead of the game.

Lonnie Paul Walker Jr.

"Lonnie Walker Outdoors"
Outfitter / Professional Guide
Wildlife Consultant
817-598-5338

Re: Bryant 16% deer pellet [Re: Junebug] #5624213 02/27/15 08:16 PM
J
jetdad Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Most feed for cattle and sheep contain antibiotics. I've never looked at goat feed but when I feed out a steer, I don't want all the additives they put into some of the feed, including antibiotics. It's hard at times to find (untreated) feed and you have to look hard to see that no additives are in there. In the long run, you might be subjecting you herd to being less resistant to bacterial infection. Might not be worth the $1 or $2 a bag in the end. JMO

Re: Bryant 16% deer pellet [Re: jshouse] #5624538 02/27/15 10:42 PM
Junebug Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
Originally Posted By: jshouse
Originally Posted By: SniperRAB

i've read this as well, its similar to what i have read about human protein consumption...some say that humans can only "use" about 25-30g of protein at one time, yet some still drink the shake boasting 50g of protein. in one end and out the other with most of it.

To be honest, on the human consumption deal. We are all differnet on what or body's can absorb, weather it be protien on any other type of mineral. People who are more active and train regularly, there bodies will absorb and proteins much faster than someone who doesn't train at all. Deer must be the same way

Re: Bryant 16% deer pellet [Re: dgilbert] #5629060 03/02/15 01:00 AM
H
hoof n wings Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Sounds like a place I ran into in Austin last year. Loaded 6 corn and 6 protein, threw my card up on the counter and he said checks or cash!
Originally Posted By: dgilbert
Originally Posted By: Junebug

Best to look on their website and it gives you the dealers in the state, if you find one be sure to call them, I found out at one dealer that they didn't take plastic card of any kind.

Originally Posted by ImTheReasonDovesMourn
I'd ask him if he's pregnant. He missed a s__tload of periods.

Originally Posted by Hancock
I'll take "things that look like a uterus" for $200 Alex.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide