I have actually.
2 Dalls, a Paint, and a Corsican.

Re: Why Mouflon Why [Re: LuckyHunter] #5618116 02/24/15 10:17 PM
T
Triplesnake Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
What is it about those ewes that IDs them as hybrids? Will Mouflon cross with Aoudad? That is the only other sheep we have on the property.

Re: Why Mouflon Why [Re: LuckyHunter] #5618132 02/24/15 10:26 PM
K
Kobus Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
K
Their coat color is a factor showing they have some other blood in them....
And thankfully aoudad won't cross with anything. smile

Re: Why Mouflon Why [Re: Kobus] #5618238 02/24/15 11:08 PM
T
traviselmore Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Kobus
I have actually.
2 Dalls, a Paint, and a Corsican.

So based on your statement that you have hunted Texas dalls, Corsicans, and paints numberous times, is the statement below and and your constant rants on hybrids not extremely hypocritical.

Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
I would like to see more wild sheep herds and less/no more Corsican, dalls, black Hawaiian, etc

More herds of pure mouflon, red sheep and urials

I would also like to see less ranches with a huge diversity but low numbers and focus on just a few species but have breeding and self sustaining herds

Exactly!!!!

But unfortunately some people will always want to shoot those stupid moronic pets....I heard of a place that was offering PYGMY GOAT hunts.....

How do you imagine that numbers of Corsicans will decrease?

Re: Why Mouflon Why [Re: LuckyHunter] #5618248 02/24/15 11:11 PM
K
Kobus Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
K
Most Corsicans type sheep I have seen aren't all around that wild. The ones I've hunted were in my youth. Sure for me back then it was a little more challenging, one of my dalls had a rather large discomfort/comfort range which made it hard to sneak up on him.

Are they an Aoudad/Mouflon in terms of wildness? Heck no.

Do they make cool wall mounts? Yep.
Are they challenging to hunt? Not really.

Re: Why Mouflon Why [Re: Kobus] #5618417 02/25/15 12:07 AM
T
TonyinVA Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Most Corsicans type sheep I have seen aren't all around that wild. The ones I've hunted were in my youth. Sure for me back then it was a little more challenging, one of my dalls had a rather large discomfort/comfort range which made it hard to sneak up on him.

If you don't want to hunt them...fine. But why not stop beating the drum about how they are dumb, stupid, farm yard pets, etc....other people (some with children) might find them perfectly acceptable to hunt.

Re: Why Mouflon Why [Re: Triplesnake] #5618566 02/25/15 01:02 AM
H
Hilonesome Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
Originally Posted By: Triplesnake
What is it about those ewes that IDs them as hybrids? Will Mouflon cross with Aoudad? That is the only other sheep we have on the property.

Not to sound Negative or "Pee on anybody's Fire", but for those that don't know, I am a "Stickler" when it comes to Pure Mouflon, I don't see a Pure Mouflon Female in the Herd, they are 3/4 to 7/8ths, a Pure Mouflon Ewe will not have the "Badger Facial Markings", their Ears will point at least 45 degrees upward, and their Poles will be square to triangular, not round, among other things, Once they turn around, their Tails will be longer than 4", Most Pure Mouflon Females will have a tail no longer than 2.5-3"

Re: Why Mouflon Why [Re: TonyinVA] #5619319 02/25/15 01:36 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: TonyinVA

If you don't want to hunt them...fine. But why not stop beating the drum about how they are dumb, stupid, farm yard pets, etc....other people (some with children) might find them perfectly acceptable to hunt.

He is just stating facts. Corsicans and many others are a domestic sheep breed. Domestic meaning livestock. They never existed before man got ahold of them and there behavior shows that the wildness was never in them.

If people want to shoot them it's their business but don't try and make it something it's not.

Comparing a Corsican to a pure mouflon or aoudad is like comparing a Labrador to a timberwolf

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Why Mouflon Why [Re: Hilonesome] #5619492 02/25/15 03:07 PM
T
Triplesnake Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Hilonesome
Originally Posted By: Triplesnake

Not to sound Negative or "Pee on anybody's Fire", but for those that don't know, I am a "Stickler" when it comes to Pure Mouflon, I don't see a Pure Mouflon Female in the Herd, they are 3/4 to 7/8ths, a Pure Mouflon Ewe will not have the "Badger Facial Markings", their Ears will point at least 45 degrees upward, and their Poles will be square to triangular, not round, among other things, Once they turn around, their Tails will be longer than 4", Most Pure Mouflon Females will have a tail no longer than 2.5-3"

Not negative at all. That's good info, and why I posted those pics. I know nothing about mouflon, and nobody seems to have much interest in this herd that runs around on our place. They are just out there doing their mouflon thing. Those shots are a couple of years old, and there are some nice rams on the place, but none of us deer hunters want to pay the extra $$$$ to shoot one. Even less so if they are unknown hybrids. They do make for a fun photo safari.

Do ewes make good table fare?

Re: Why Mouflon Why [Re: txtrophy85] #5619530 02/25/15 03:20 PM
T
TonyinVA Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: TonyinVA

He is just stating facts. Corsicans and many others are a domestic sheep breed. Domestic meaning livestock. They never existed before man got ahold of them and there behavior shows that the wildness was never in them.

If people want to shoot them it's their business but don't try and make it something it's not.

Comparing a Corsican to a pure mouflon or aoudad is like comparing a Labrador to a timberwolf

No one is comparing the species. That's not the point. Do you ever read kobus's post? He goes out of his way to personally trash ranchers who raises hybrids and without any first hand knowledge takes cheap shots at Ranches he never visited.

If you want to post that most Dalls, Corcicans, etc they are not as challenging or not as wild as pure bred Mouflons, Urial, etc that's fine. But to use terms like, "dumb", "farm yard pets", and other derogatory terms is juvenile and not appropriate.

Really nice for some dad and kid that decided to hunt a Texas Dall (which is part Mouflon) to read these types of posts. Let them do what they want to do and enjoy themselves and not have to read this bs.

A rancher should be able to do pretty much what he wants to do on his ranch if the business model works. It's called 'live and let live."

Despite what you and kobus would prefer to see, there is a market for Texas Dalls, Black Hawaiians, Corsicans and hybid Ibex as well as other hybrid sheep because not everyone can afford to hunt a pure breed Ibex, Urial or Mouflon.

So bottom line it's all about the derogatory references. You can make a comment about the challenge to hunt one species over another without CONSTANTLY throwing in derogatory comments.

Last edited by TonyinVA; 02/25/15 04:20 PM.
Re: Why Mouflon Why [Re: LuckyHunter] #5619705 02/25/15 04:51 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Well, if a dad and son are researching and they come across a thread it may keep them from wasting money

I won't argue that there is a market for them, but I have been on alot of ranches that sell hunts for them and 90% of the sheep I have mentioned I could have killed with my sig .40

Most have come off a trailer at some point prior to being shot. Alot are raised in small enclosures prior to being sold to a hunting ranch. Don't believe me go to a livestock auction

If that's what someone wants to shoot that's ok but know the facts

Re: Why Mouflon Why [Re: txtrophy85] #5619766 02/25/15 05:25 PM
T
TonyinVA Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Well, if a dad and son are researching and they come across a thread it may keep them from wasting money

I won't argue that there is a market for them, but I have been on alot of ranches that sell hunts for them and 90% of the sheep I have mentioned I could have killed with my sig .40

Most have come off a trailer at some point prior to being shot. Alot are raised in small enclosures prior to being sold to a hunting ranch. Don't believe me go to a livestock auction

You made my point.

Re: Why Mouflon Why [Re: txtrophy85] #5620014 02/25/15 07:30 PM
L
LuckyHunter Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
L

No the facts are some have the need to lump everything bad with anything good? It makes their argument fit their agenda. Even you regretfully acknowledge there is a 10% population which would be more difficult to harvest. You even admit not all come off a trailer and some are not raised in small enclosures.Therefore one should conclude not all is bad.

I choose to do my homework and take personal responsibility for my decisions. Therefore I do my homework and have found the good ones. So if someone is looking for a Corsican hunt do the same due diligence as you would any hunt. Check into everything.

Last edited by SheepHunter; 02/25/15 08:03 PM.

Lucky 7 Exotic Ranch located in Eden, Tx. Well managed self sustaining herds roaming our 3,000 acre ranch. First Class Lodging, Ranch style meals and qualified guides. 30+ species.
Re: Why Mouflon Why [Re: LuckyHunter] #5620163 02/25/15 08:43 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Sheep hunter,

You clarified my point. Like you, I would be looking for the 10%. Sure, they can be found with research.

If I was researching and came across a put and take place most are not advertised as such so when I show up there and that's what I find I and many others would be very dissapointed. There are ranches out west that offer hunts for truly wild Corsicans but they are by far the exception and not the rule. That's why I said may, 90% and find out the facts

If a hunter from out of state reads these posts it may convince him to dig deeper and research a truly good hunt instead of a put and take. If he still chooses a put and take then he has the knowledge to make an informed decision

Re: Why Mouflon Why [Re: LuckyHunter] #5620170 02/25/15 08:47 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Look at it like this; if I wanted to book a hog hunt, I come to a place and shoot a feral hog that is born on the place, in a wild environment, that's what in looking for.

I show up to hunt a hog and I find out I'm shooting a domestic pig bought at an auction, I'm going to be upset, unless it was explained to me prior and that's what I was wanting

Re: Why Mouflon Why [Re: LuckyHunter] #5620188 02/25/15 08:57 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
To give another example; we were looking into a red stag hunt in New Zealand. We were all excited about it , then I started doing research. Fact of the matter is alot of the estates raise them in enclosures and then turn them out to shoot after they have reached a certain size. Well known places too. So after digging deep we found out the facts. Not every person is going to do a ton of research and alot make deals based on face value

Im not against hunting all types of sheep. I'm against alot of the misrepresentation taking place in the sheep hunting industry

Re: Why Mouflon Why [Re: Txnrog] #5620200 02/25/15 09:01 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Txnrog
Shoot the two ewes in the middle of the first pic and the left of the second quick.

TxTrophy85 - your ram could easily be 9 or 10. We have shot several at that age. Can guarantee you he never set foot in a pen. They do wear the front edge as they get that old making the rings harder to count. I count from the back, usually a little cleaner on the back.

I'm still counting 9 rings.

That is awesome and makes it even more of a trophy to me

I saw one that was considerably bigger than him but he walked off into the cedars and never did offer me a shot.

Re: Why Mouflon Why [Re: txtrophy85] #5620224 02/25/15 09:14 PM
L
LuckyHunter Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
L
To give another example; we were looking into a red stag hunt in New Zealand. We were all excited about it , then I started doing research. Fact of the matter is alot of the estates raise them in enclosures and then turn them out to shoot after they have reached a certain size. Well known places too. So after digging deep we found out the facts. Not every person is going to do a ton of research and alot make deals based on face value

Im not against hunting all types of sheep. I'm against alot of the misrepresentation taking place in the sheep hunting industry

Agreed. If you go in blind then yes you may get the wool pulled over your eyes. Then again that can be said about any industry.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide