Forums46
Topics537,021
Posts9,719,488
Members86,987
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 27 of 45 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 44 45
Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.00.228) firmware update. [Re: hopalong] #5613212 02/22/15 08:35 PM
M
MoShootr Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
M
Originally Posted By: hopalong
can you by chance update straight from the computer via usb connect??

Sorry for the delay, but it appears this has not been answered yet. I alluded to this functionality in my review, but I didn't directly address this question. My apologies.

I did test the ability to do this, and the answer is 100% Yes.

Here is the step-by-step procedure:
(I'm not treating anyone like an idiot here. Just making sure its easy to follow for anyone)

- Download firmware file to your PC.
- Open the folder you saved the file in.
- Find the file, it will be named xsight1.800.00.228.bin (or equivalent).
- Right-Click the file, choose "COPY". (this will be useful later)
- Plug USB cable into Scope and PC
- Power on Scope. After bootup, scope display turns blue and says "USB Connecting." EDIT: It will STAY this way so long as the USB cable remains plugged into the PC.
- PC will detect USB device, and ask you what to do. Choose "Open folder to view files".

- The folder should open. There may be files or folders in here. If you see a file named "xsight.bin" in here, delete it.
- Right-click in the blank area of this file list, and choose "PASTE". The new firmware file will copy to the scope's SD card.
- Right-click the file "xsight1.800.00.XXX.bin" and rename it to "xsight.bin"
- Unplug the USB cable. You do not need to power off the scope to do this safely. EDIT: The scope display should return to normal at this point.

- At this point your scope MIGHT prompt you automatically to perform the firmware update. If not, turn it off and back on.
- Once prompted, choose to run the update.
- The update will go through the process. At the end, it will "hang" on 100%. This is ok.
- Unscrew the battery cap until the scope turns off. Screw it back in tight, and turn the scope on.
- The scope display should then indicate it is processing the changes, and then it will be done.

Optional:
- Reconnect the USB cable to the computer. You can go to Start->Computer to get back to the drive letter assigned to the scope.
- Delete the "xsight.bin" file. I haven't run into any ill effects by NOT deleting it, but no need to leave it here.

Some other details: You can directly copy your media from the SD card using the USB, the same way you can from any other external storage media. The scope itself essentially acts just like any other SD Card reader. The MISC folder will contain your screenshots taken with the scope, just like most Digital Cameras do. Anyone who has used a digital camera using USB will find the process to be pretty similar.

Also, confirming information others have already posted, you can remove the batteries from the X-Sight while plugged in using USB, and the scope will run purely off of USB power. It will not turn back on without the batteries in place, however.

I also confirmed that you can use both an AC-to-MicroUSB or Cigarette Lighter-to-USB cell phone charger, and both will also keep the X-Sight running after batteries are removed. Now, I MAKE NO CLAIM as to whether this has any impact on your warranty. I make no claim that this is safe when you are using non-rechargable batteries, because I do not know if the USB port can charge batteries in the battery compartment or not. However, I -DO- know that USB devices are SUPPOSED to conform to a standard set of rules for voltage and current draw. So long as your charger is fairly new, it should be safe. USB standards are also SUPPOSED to be backward-compatible to prevent problems with older devices, and older USB standards were more conservative, so even older ones also SHOULD be safe. I do not presume to claim that it IS safe.

I would love to hear more from ATN on the USB functionality and safety subject.

That's it for now. Hope this helps.

Last edited by MoShootr; 02/23/15 12:45 AM.

"Being Right, and being Reasonable, are not automatically synonymous." - Me
Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.00.228) firmware update. [Re: Shadow357x2] #5613323 02/22/15 09:50 PM
M
mikei Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Thanks, MoShootr! A most excellent post. And don't worry about being too detailed with your "how to!" The lovely on-line ATN Manual is about as close to worthless as it can be, and could be vastly improved by the addition of a few step-by-step directions on how to do certain functions that are not exactly intuitive.

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.00.228) firmware update. [Re: Shadow357x2] #5613461 02/22/15 10:51 PM
hopalong Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
yep, thanks I had not thought of trying to load pics/video right off the sight.

one thing I am kind of concerned about is my scope never goes off usb connecting, got the pics just fine but screen stayed blue and still connecting and this has happened everytime so far.

software glitch?

lake fork FISHERMANS COVE MARINA - 903 474 7479 reservations

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.00.228) firmware update. [Re: Shadow357x2] #5613679 02/23/15 12:35 AM
M
MoShootr Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
M
No, it stays that way until you unplug the USB cable from the computer. You can't use the scope display while it's plugged into a PC. You CAN use the scope if the usb is plugged into a USB power charger (like for cell phones and the like) - because there's no data signal from those devices.

I hope ATN changes this, and lets us leave the scope plugged in and functional, while USB is plugged in! I can't think this is not simply a software 'feature' that could be altered if they wanted to.

Last edited by MoShootr; 02/23/15 12:36 AM.

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.00.228) firmware update. [Re: mikei] #5613684 02/23/15 12:39 AM
M
MoShootr Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
M
Originally Posted By: mikei
Thanks, MoShootr! A most excellent post. And don't worry about being too detailed with your "how to!" The lovely on-line ATN Manual is about as close to worthless as it can be, and could be vastly improved by the addition of a few step-by-step directions on how to do certain functions that are not exactly intuitive.

You are completely right about the manual. It's pretty worthless. As a guy who makes his living helping the "technically challenged" public with their high tech gadgets, I understand the worth of good, detailed instructions - and theirs are NOT. It's my personal opinion that all Engineering majors should be required to spend at least 1 year in a Tech Support helpdesk assisting customers, before they're allowed to get their degree. It would make the world a better place! LOL.

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.00.228) firmware update. [Re: Shadow357x2] #5613969 02/23/15 02:31 AM
M
mikei Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
As a retired IBMer, I agree with you, Mo, that engineering majors should spend a lot of quality time trying to help users over the phone and in person. I'm technically obsolete, for sure, but it is my impression that ATN had their Manual written by a couple of sales people who had some spare time on their hands. mad ATN could have done so much better in so many different areas of this product rollout and support. Maybe they got guidance from the Affordable Care Act production and rollout team.

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.00.228) firmware update. [Re: MoShootr] #5615602 02/23/15 08:18 PM
B
Beltfed Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
Originally Posted By: MoShootr
No, it stays that way until you unplug the USB cable from the computer. You can't use the scope display while it's plugged into a PC. You CAN use the scope if the usb is plugged into a USB power charger (like for cell phones and the like) - because there's no data signal from those devices.

So can you plug in a cell phone portable charger for an external battery supply or are they way less power than what is need. Excuse my ignorance toward electronics.

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.00.228) firmware update. [Re: Shadow357x2] #5615635 02/23/15 08:26 PM
M
MrKingLouie Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
M
All USB devices uses 5v power,
so yes a portable powerbank works
fine, it's the capacity of the
powerbank that gives you the
uptime.

Last edited by MrKingLouie; 02/23/15 08:29 PM.
Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.00.228) firmware update. [Re: Beltfed] #5616172 02/23/15 11:57 PM
M
MoShootr Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
M
Originally Posted By: Beltfed
Originally Posted By: MoShootr

So can you plug in a cell phone portable charger for an external battery supply or are they way less power than what is need. Excuse my ignorance toward electronics.

Yeah, basically. It's more complicated than MrKingLouie made it out to be (new USB 3.0 specs blah blah automatic current draw detection blah blah bunch of tech crap you can read on wikipedia if you care). For all reasonable intents and purposes though, he's correct. Basically... it will automatically adjust to the voltage and current draw of the scope, so long as it's a true USB device.

Just don't try to redneck-engineer yourself a USB cable to some other kind of power supply or device. THAT will fry stuff. Personal experience talking.

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.00.228) firmware update. [Re: Shadow357x2] #5617006 02/24/15 12:56 PM
K
Ken Fowler Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
K
Wish I had bet $20! This is the latest as of today from Scott Country.
Hi Ken

We will have the firmware update tomorrow we believe for internal testing with launch proposed for next week.

Regards
Paul

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.00.228) firmware update. [Re: Ken Fowler] #5617068 02/24/15 01:38 PM
M
MakemDrop25 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
M
Originally Posted By: Ken Fowler
Hi Ken

We will have the firmware update tomorrow we believe for internal testing with launch proposed for next week.

Regards
Paul

LoL we knew that was going to happen, ATN is a joke.

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.00.228) firmware update. [Re: Shadow357x2] #5617283 02/24/15 03:01 PM
S
s6275 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
Oh, so one more week?

smirk

See, I seem to remember someone saying that it is the naysayers who have driven ATN away from this board. I respectfully disagree. I maintain that shame is what has kept them away. Thoughts?

When the CEO knighted us all his unwitting-yet-precious "early adopters," is that also when we stopped being worthy of testing his firmware? I'm confused.

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.00.228) firmware update. [Re: s6275] #5617530 02/24/15 05:24 PM
L
LastHurrah Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
L
Originally Posted By: s6275
Oh, so one more week?

smirk

See, I seem to remember someone saying that it is the naysayers who have driven ATN away from this board. I respectfully disagree. I maintain that shame is what has kept them away. Thoughts?

When the CEO knighted us all his unwitting-yet-precious "early adopters," is that also when we stopped being worthy of testing his firmware? I'm confused.

Originally Posted By: s6275
I am out. No longer participating in helping the helpless.

Thought you were "out" yet you keep on beating that dead horse.

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.00.228) firmware update. [Re: LastHurrah] #5617605 02/24/15 06:00 PM
S
s6275 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
No...just not contributing anything that might benefit certain other posters, champ. They can fend for themselves. How 'bout you?

And...didn't you just beat the dead horse?

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.00.228) firmware update. [Re: Ken Fowler] #5618113 02/24/15 10:16 PM
U
Ukguy Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
U
Originally Posted By: Ken Fowler
Hi Ken

Regards
Paul

Well Ken the deadline they told me at the show has been and gone. Also the one they told you I beleive. Look forward to next week...... Didn't I read on here that SCOTT country had already got the new firmware some weeks ago and were testing it. .?

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.00.228) firmware update. [Re: MoShootr] #5618459 02/25/15 12:20 AM
M
mikeee2 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
M
MoShooter,
Just looked up the meaning of "e-peens"! Hadn't heard it before.
You are right in regards some of this bunch. That was a fine BURN!
Some people mistake their own petulance for sarcasm when they post their attacks. I never believed s6.275 when he said he was going away. His self image demands he continue. He is a legend in his own mind as the old saying goes and he wants you to know it. That was a hell of a pile of coyotes. The issue raised originally was not the scope it was the type of rifle he was criticizing. It wasn't a manly rifle by his measurement.
Thanks for your continued level headed posts in the face of the petulant posts of a few you have faced. I appreciate your analytical viewpoint and thoughtful observations. I gave up trying to add anything to the discourse when I posted my analysis of the possibilities of reverting to an older version of the firmware and was informed by a self styled IT expert that in IT we never revert to an earlier version and the only recourse we had was to wait for the next release for the fixes. This is better known as the Windows syndrome.
I will go back to my lurking and await your further findings.
Thanks and keep the children in line.
M

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.00.228) firmware update. [Re: Shadow357x2] #5618955 02/25/15 03:32 AM
S
s6275 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
Weren't we dropping that and moving on? No?

Ouch! Got me right in the self-image! Psychobabble, psychobabble, latent inadequacy. Blah, blah, blah.

I am not happy with the product or, for the most part, the service ATN provides...and I am not alone..not by a long shot. Until it is fixed (they have missed their last TWO self-imposed deadlines now...getting nervous?), I will continue to express that AND to hopefully clearly and emphatically help anyone thinking of making what I consider to be, at this point, a huge mistake.

You were right about one thing: I am not going anywhere, because as has been mentioned, this is where people are turning to learn about the scope, for better or worse. I couldn't care less how "manly" a pellet gun is or isn't, or about coyote-pile-sizes. The fact remains that, atop a 204 ft. lb. rifle, inside of 100 yards, using a 5x X-SiGHT, MOST of the issues people are having with this product will simply not present themselves.

If you are only interested in discussing how pretty your X-SiGHT is, I made a thread for you. In THIS thread, there are people who are pleased, people who accept, and people who are disappointed by the X-SiGHT...which I suppose makes this the best place to form a clear decision to purchase one...or not, like it...or not.

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.00.228) firmware update. [Re: Shadow357x2] #5619139 02/25/15 05:36 AM
S
shoots100 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
Like it or not, I own and use an x sight.
The fact is, not everyone mounts their scope on powder burners, especially overseas.
Most haven't used their scopes in the weather conditions I've used my scope in either.
Most of the problems experienced with the scope have nothing to do with the caliber of the rifle the scope is mounted on.
I will continue to post my experiences in the field hunting with my scope, just as you will continue to post your battery tests.
Hopefully future X sight owners will gain from that.
I know they don't learn anything useful from your posts attacking other x sight owners.

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.00.228) firmware update. [Re: s6275] #5619157 02/25/15 06:09 AM
M
mikeee2 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
M
s6.2..,
So predictable. You can dish it out but not take it. Petulance squared!

Move on just because you say so? Typical. Delusions of grandeur. You keep telling others here to move on but you persist in the opposite behavior. Take your own medicine.

Substance? You have done nothing but whine and attack others for a month or more. You repeat and repeat and repeat things we already know then attack others for doing the same. Take your own medicine.

You brag incessantly about your insignificant contributions then attack others whose contributions don't meet your "high" standards.

Psychobabble? That is the typical response of someone whose psyche has been nailed to the barn door splayed open for all to see and who can't formulate a rational response.

Latent inadequacy? Seems you had a moment of rare introspection there which you quickly redirected at me. You knew there was someone around who suffered from this malady but just knew right away it couldn't be you. Rationalization to protect self image.

"You are not happy..." So? Typical. You think the world was designed to make you happy. As several here have admonished you, sell it and get something that makes you happy. Oh, and they said tell you to shut up! I know though that because of your now world renowned self image, and given past performance, you predictably won't shut up.

Wow, you made a thread for me? As Gomer Pile would say, "Thankeee, thankee, thankee." I guess I must not question your omniscience in knowing just what I needed. Oh, I have one comment regarding the title of the thread. Weren't you the one who took the other members to task because YOU were not even a little bit amused by the "fish finder" thing and yet so soon we find you using it in the name of the thread you so magnanimously set up for me and other lesser intellects who could not figure how to set up our own threads. Magnanimously? How about presumptuously? Arrogantly? Yes, that's it. May I have your leave, sire, to retire to the new thread which you so arrogantly made for me and all the other serfs here who share my intellectual disabilities which you have so asstutely divined.
(No I did not misspell it. I am not that intellectually challenged)

I know, that was a little bit mean but, sometimes, interventions get that way. It is for your own good. Hang in there and we will make you all better in no time. Admitting you have a problem is the first step. What, you say too early?

I'll go back to waiting for the next release. (this missive was somewhat cathartic but I was speaking of the new firmware and no I'm not "nervous". I don't get nervous over insignificant things or people. Bye, s6.2...)
M.

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.00.228) firmware update. [Re: shoots100] #5619160 02/25/15 06:16 AM
M
mikeee2 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
M
Shoots100,
Well put!
This guy just won't quit.
M.

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.00.228) firmware update. [Re: Shadow357x2] #5619170 02/25/15 06:36 AM
M
MoShootr Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
M
I'm not giving S6275 a hard time anymore, as long as he doesn't give me a hard time in return.

He can be unhappy with ATN, that's his choice. I respect his opinions, and in some cases even agree with his points, though perhaps the intensity of my feelings on those points does not reach the level that his do. There are several things ATN could have done much better. There are several things they could have done much worse, too.

I think everyone can agree the rollout of the X-Sight was an enormous fiasco, and an object lesson in how NOT to roll out new technology. Still, now that the milk is spil't, the only thing they can do, is the best they can, given the situation. They have done some good things to regain some trust. The fact that emotions continue to run high on this board and others, is just evidence that ATN has further to go.

What we don't need to do, is bait each other. For one thing, that WILL keep ATN reps from posting here. They will not associate their brand with vitriolic threads where people snipe at one another, regardless of the content, and regardless if those involved in the discussion are right or not. They just won't. Having said that, I accept responsibility for my part in that as well.

So. Let's cut the cross-fire, and keep the thread clean. I hate seeing good discussions with useful content get closed down because people can't restrain themselves from making it personal.

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.00.228) firmware update. [Re: mikeee2] #5619199 02/25/15 10:58 AM
S
s6275 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
Originally Posted By: mikeee2
s6.2..,
So predictable. You can dish it out but not take it. Petulance squared!

Move on just because you say so? Typical. Delusions of grandeur. You keep telling others here to move on but you persist in the opposite behavior. Take your own medicine.

Substance? You have done nothing but whine and attack others for a month or more. You repeat and repeat and repeat things we already know then attack others for doing the same. Take your own medicine.

You brag incessantly about your insignificant contributions then attack others whose contributions don't meet your "high" standards.

Psychobabble? That is the typical response of someone whose psyche has been nailed to the barn door splayed open for all to see and who can't formulate a rational response.

Latent inadequacy? Seems you had a moment of rare introspection there which you quickly redirected at me. You knew there was someone around who suffered from this malady but just knew right away it couldn't be you. Rationalization to protect self image.

"You are not happy..." So? Typical. You think the world was designed to make you happy. As several here have admonished you, sell it and get something that makes you happy. Oh, and they said tell you to shut up! I know though that because of your now world renowned self image, and given past performance, you predictably won't shut up.

Wow, you made a thread for me? As Gomer Pile would say, "Thankeee, thankee, thankee." I guess I must not question your omniscience in knowing just what I needed. Oh, I have one comment regarding the title of the thread. Weren't you the one who took the other members to task because YOU were not even a little bit amused by the "fish finder" thing and yet so soon we find you using it in the name of the thread you so magnanimously set up for me and other lesser intellects who could not figure how to set up our own threads. Magnanimously? How about presumptuously? Arrogantly? Yes, that's it. May I have your leave, sire, to retire to the new thread which you so arrogantly made for me and all the other serfs here who share my intellectual disabilities which you have so asstutely divined.
(No I did not misspell it. I am not that intellectually challenged)

I know, that was a little bit mean but, sometimes, interventions get that way. It is for your own good. Hang in there and we will make you all better in no time. Admitting you have a problem is the first step. What, you say too early?

I'll go back to waiting for the next release. (this missive was somewhat cathartic but I was speaking of the new firmware and no I'm not "nervous". I don't get nervous over insignificant things or people. Bye, s6.2...)
M.

So...you're going back to lurking.

Again. Got it.

If they fix this scope, *I* will start posting on the "sunshine/ rainbows" thread...and not a moment sooner. There are at least as many people who are as disappointed with the scope, and who continue to stumble across new ways in which they are disappointed, as there are those who have found a way to love it. If you were to start from scratch, and start reading the .200 firmware thread, I think you'd find that I have been "giving as good as I got."

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.00.228) firmware update. [Re: Shadow357x2] #5619275 02/25/15 01:00 PM
S
shoots100 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
s6275, maybe you should change your name here to Cool Hand Luke, as you obviously just don't get it. Got it ?
Your post have become boring and Sachal hasn't contributed because you've put him to sleep with your constant babbling about the same old thing.
It's No wonder why they sent the latest update overseas for testing.
Please keep up the good work, as you do eventually contribute something useful after a few dozen useless posts.

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.00.228) firmware update. [Re: shoots100] #5619280 02/25/15 01:07 PM
M
mikeee2 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
M
Shoots100,
There he goes again.
After all the other bragging, now he is bragging about being a bully.
He is so predictable.
M

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.00.228) firmware update. [Re: Shadow357x2] #5619425 02/25/15 02:40 PM
S
s6275 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
Going back to waiting now...or now?

Or...now?

Page 27 of 45 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 44 45
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide