Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Thoughts and opinions #5582038 02/04/15 05:38 PM
dogdown23 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
Ive been hunting predators, varmints all my life. It seems in the last 2 or 3 years everyone and their brother is now a "predator" hunter. What ive found is that a lot of beginners are getting out and trying their hand at it. New virgin hunting spots are getting harder and hard to find. Ive also found the places these guys are hunting have animals that have been very educated. Anyone else out there running into the same problems? Just curious.

Dogdown

The only thing that'll stop a bad man with a gun, is a good man with a gun.
Re: Thoughts and opinions [Re: dogdown23] #5582083 02/04/15 05:52 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
I was seeing that even in the late 80's-90's

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Thoughts and opinions [Re: dogdown23] #5582459 02/04/15 09:02 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
Same with hog hunting. Reason got on first lease. 24-7-365. After deer season, went to lease with slinger find were hogs tearing it up. sit & wait with flash light off. Hog hunten the other wild game. Its realy evolved from back then. OSBWMA was some of the best hog hunting around. Price of hamburger at store is $30.00 for 10# flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Thoughts and opinions [Re: dogdown23] #5582470 02/04/15 09:14 PM
N
nastynate Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
N
I agree... i find it frustrating. I was lucky enough to have someone show me the ropes before i started acquiring land to hunt.To repay the knowledge that he gave me i will take him on a few hunts a year. Now it seems people who have been around the game for a certain amount of years are losing land to newbies that have no clue what they are doing. Animals become educated and much harder to kill, but this can also set apart the newbies from guys that know what they are doing. Ranchers and farmers do pickup on those type of things.

Life is too short to drink cheap booze and argue with stupid people!
Re: Thoughts and opinions [Re: dogdown23] #5582850 02/05/15 01:03 AM
G
grout-scout Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Well, I guess everybody has to start somewheres? You guys didn't know what you were doing when you first started and now you want to bash others for trying it too, sounds hypocrite? I'm sick of deer hunting and I want to try something new and varmint hunting it will be. Will I scare off animals accidentally, yep! Will I educate a few, yep! Will I kill a few, yep! But don't worry guys, I won't mess up "your" hunting spots because my family has had land passed down over the generations.

Re: Thoughts and opinions [Re: dogdown23] #5583014 02/05/15 02:01 AM
dogdown23 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
I didnt know anyone was bashing anyone???

Dogdown

Re: Thoughts and opinions [Re: dogdown23] #5583028 02/05/15 02:05 AM
dogdown23 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
Good luck "grout-scout" we all wish u the best predator hunting possible on your families land passed down from the conquistadors. Happy hunting friend

Dogdown

Re: Thoughts and opinions [Re: grout-scout] #5583051 02/05/15 02:16 AM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
i invite people ta hog hunt. My hunting stinks, i tend ta fart alot. i started out in the dark. Litterly. flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Thoughts and opinions [Re: dogdown23] #5583273 02/05/15 03:51 AM
G
grout-scout Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: dogdown23
Good luck "grout-scout" we all wish u the best predator hunting possible on your families land passed down from the conquistadors. Happy hunting friend

rolleyes you are complaining about others wanting to take up your hobby, right? How could someone not be offended by what you wrote? Did I translate what you wrote incorrectly?

Last edited by grout-scout; 02/05/15 03:53 AM.
Re: Thoughts and opinions [Re: dogdown23] #5583326 02/05/15 04:20 AM
dogdown23 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
Amigo is asking a question complaining? Or are u just assuming?? I believe I'll take some advice from nastynate ^ life is to short to drink cheap booze and argue with stupid people. Good hunting pilgrim.

Dogdown

Re: Thoughts and opinions [Re: dogdown23] #5583341 02/05/15 04:28 AM
G
grout-scout Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: dogdown23
Amigo is asking a question complaining? Or are u just assuming?? I believe I'll take some advice from nastynate ^ life is to short to drink cheap booze and argue with stupid people. Good hunting pilgrim.

So you find calling people names is civil, huh? What is the title of your thread smart guy? Ah, that's right you were asking for "thoughts & opinions", you gave yours and I gave you mine. I assure you that you aren't quite as smart as you find yourself to be, Pilgrim.

I just wanted to make sure that you knew that I would not be "educating" YOUR virgin hunting spots. You know because you are the one that started the whole predator calling movement. wink

Last edited by grout-scout; 02/05/15 04:33 AM.
Re: Thoughts and opinions [Re: dogdown23] #5583348 02/05/15 04:34 AM
dogdown23 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
I'll take the high road my friend, again good luck and happy hunting

Dogdown

Re: Thoughts and opinions [Re: dogdown23] #5583623 02/05/15 01:54 PM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Nope, not seeing it where I am. I like the fact that when the neighboring properties start getting hit, it flushes animals to where I hunt.

Virgin hunting spots? Dude, there hasn't been a virgin hunting spot in Texas for at least a century and maybe a lot longer than that.

Anybody else ever noticed how "educated" animals seem to get smarter faster than the hunters do?

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Thoughts and opinions [Re: grout-scout] #5583624 02/05/15 01:54 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: grout-scout
Well, I guess everybody has to start somewheres? You guys didn't know what you were doing when you first started and now you want to bash others for trying it too, sounds hypocrite? I'm sick of deer hunting and I want to try something new and varmint hunting it will be. Will I scare off animals accidentally, yep! Will I educate a few, yep! Will I kill a few, yep! But don't worry guys, I won't mess up "your" hunting spots because my family has had land passed down over the generations.

I don't know where you came up with this? I re-read the OP and didn't see anywhere that you where addressed? You interjected yourself in that level, why would you do that? You caused issue, where there was none. confused2

OP is largely correct, but it really started when electronic calls became available, folks would buy one and head to the woods with "0" thought as how to effectively use it. This was even before the internet was "online". I had a neighbor that hired me to remove coyotes in the early nineties, well his son bought a caller, so he told me they would take care of it from then on. 1 year passed and he called and asked if I could "take over" again. They had killed 1 yote and 2 fox all year he said and tried maybe 30 times....on 200 acres! I ended up trapping 12 over 8-9 months off his small place, had to use traps and snares.

The point is to get as "educated" yourself, before giving the yotes an education. I see you started a thread asking for advice, which I added too in a small way as well. That is the smart way to go about it, learn from others that have learned from trial and error. No one has all the answers, but there is a "norm" approach to calling and trapping. It is just tips and tricks that make the difference on some varmints. Young "dumb" ones are easy and what most end up getting most of the time.

I was fortunate to have 2 mentors and still managed to make many a "smart" coyote.

Unless you are called out by name, I would try to avoid taking a post personally, not worth the mental endeavor

Of coarse, this is my opinion, you guys may have a "history" IDK.

Dennis

Re: Thoughts and opinions [Re: dogdown23] #5583678 02/05/15 02:28 PM
G
grout-scout Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Western, thanks and I understand it looks bad. I don't know if his post was to address the few "newbie" post on the forum or if he was truly asking a question. There are many people in this world that feel entitled and yes I took it personal because it appears he is looking down on the newbies trying to learn. But we all have to start somewheres and yes, he didn't call me out in particular, he did call out ALL wanna be varmint hunters (and their brothers). Not everybody had/has mentors to teach them, sometimes you have to learn by screwing up a few times. So what's a person to do? Stay home or get out and try to learn something new, I will not sit at home on the couch because I might screw up someone else hunting.

Also, I appreciate the tips on my post and I think I will disregard post like his in the future.

Re: Thoughts and opinions [Re: dogdown23] #5583764 02/05/15 03:04 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Looks like the OP was complaining about new folks getting into it and messing up his hunting, looking for folks to dogpile and agree with him.... someone didn't and he got upset.

I don't fancy myself a varmint hunter, but predator control... or "attempted" predator control is part of our management plan. I called twice this year and ran some jaw traps and so far we have killed 2 yotes, one on a gut pile late morning close to camp, just by chance incident and the other from a deer blind on a morning hunt. So we are giving calling/trapping more effort now because we need to get a few more.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Thoughts and opinions [Re: dogdown23] #5583781 02/05/15 03:14 PM
dogdown23 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
Whoa back up. I didnt call out anyone. I simply asked if anyone was running into some of the things ive encountered the last few years. I didnt bash or bad mouth anyone. Man this seems to be a sensitive subject for you. I tell you what your more than welcome to come to central texas and I'll take you on a day and night hunt.

Dogdown

Re: Thoughts and opinions [Re: Double Naught Spy] #5583789 02/05/15 03:15 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
Nope, not seeing it where I am. I like the fact that when the neighboring properties start getting hit, it flushes animals to where I hunt.

Virgin hunting spots? Dude, there hasn't been a virgin hunting spot in Texas for at least a century and maybe a lot longer than that.

Anybody else ever noticed how "educated" animals seem to get smarter faster than the hunters do?

cheers as pappy once said: person with open mind has a wider point of view THF just cause a person has alot of posts, doesnt make them an expert. i'm a good example of that. ignorance list rofl spell check is great. its like learning ta type. Read posts about the debate on hog hunting. Spot light vs. grean vs. red. People complaining about others placeing stand too close ta fence. Culling, rofl Whin person first comes on THF it doesnt meen, they know nothing about hunting. Over 30 years shooting mussy, doesnt make me an expert. Kentucky english. Like the old saying: opinions are like confused2 everyones got one scratch mine stinks, I tend ta fart alot . flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Thoughts and opinions [Re: dogdown23] #5583794 02/05/15 03:20 PM
dogdown23 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
Moderators may want to move this over to the trash talking thread.

Dogdown

Re: Thoughts and opinions [Re: dogdown23] #5583807 02/05/15 03:29 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Go back and objectively read your post. If you can do that you will understand.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Thoughts and opinions [Re: dogdown23] #5583827 02/05/15 03:39 PM
dogdown23 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
I did, and I see nothing wrong with what I stated or asked. Keep the thoughts and opinions coming.

Dogdown

Re: Thoughts and opinions [Re: dogdown23] #5583834 02/05/15 03:43 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Well, the OP had a point and it is valid in many, but not all cases. I have seen guy's out on a property, sitting in the back of a P/U drinking beer, laughing and all the while have their foxpro going, every once and awhile they will scan with a light, this was a neighboring place.

There is also many that do their best to learn and do it the best they can and in a way to increase the odds. The issue i think the OP is trying to say, it is harder for those that seriously try, when some jackwagon went out because the bars where closed and had a similar party in their truck. An opinion the OP obviously has experienced as have I. Nothing more, nothing less.

may just be the way I chose to understand the topic IDK.

Dennis

Re: Thoughts and opinions [Re: redchevy] #5583839 02/05/15 03:46 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: redchevy
Looks like the OP was complaining about new folks getting into it and messing up his hunting, looking for folks to dogpile and agree with him.... someone didn't and he got upset.

I don't fancy myself a varmint hunter, but predator control... or "attempted" predator control is part of our management plan. I called twice this year and ran some jaw traps and so far we have killed 2 yotes, one on a gut pile late morning close to camp, just by chance incident and the other from a deer blind on a morning hunt. So we are giving calling/trapping more effort now because we need to get a few more.

RC, I don't think he wanted folks to "pile on" just stated what he has observed, but I have been wrong many a time, just the way I took it.

BTW, have you tried snares? They are true work horse for control once you learn how/where to use them. I also agree with your assesment of "varmint hunter vs Management". When you have more on the line than the "fun", it gets a bit more serious. Even though it's fun as hell grin

Dennis

Re: Thoughts and opinions [Re: Western] #5583860 02/05/15 03:57 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: Western
Well, the OP had a point and it is valid in many, but not all cases. I have seen guy's out on a property, sitting in the back of a P/U drinking beer, laughing and all the while have their foxpro going, every once and awhile they will scan with a light, this was a neighboring place.

There is also many that do their best to learn and do it the best they can and in a way to increase the odds. The issue i think the OP is trying to say, it is harder for those that seriously try, when some jackwagon went out because the bars where closed and had a similar party in their truck. An opinion the OP obviously has experienced as have I. Nothing more, nothing less.

may just be the way I chose to understand the topic IDK.

confused2 That's not a good way to varmint hunt? Done that plenty of times and almost won a competition doing this exact thing banana

I can see where the OP can be read to be offensive and shines a negative light on the new hunters that are just getting into hunting. I don't think he meant it that way and was making a point that some places, it is getting difficult to varmint hunt because the animals are being educated to calls and certain style of sets.

Lets let that argument rest since it has been brought up and the OP has addressed it cheers

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Thoughts and opinions [Re: redchevy] #5583863 02/05/15 03:58 PM
C
cabosandinh Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: redchevy

It came across as arrogant to me as well

maybe he didn't mean it but came off that way

he should have said

" I have not been very successful varmint hunting lately, they've gotten smarter, anyone else having the same problem ?"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide