Print Thread
2 openings on Hamilton County Lease #5576221 02/01/15 03:27 PM
B
billkd Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
Looking for two to make a total of 4 hunters on 735 acres just outside of Evant. This is one pasture out of a several thousand acre ranch under MLD 3. My buddy and I have been on this place the last three seasons, this will be our first year as the lead contact with the lease manager. We’d like to find a pair of guys that already know each other but are willing to consider individuals. We are wanting to show the place on Saturday, February 7.

Deer population is not high but each year has been better than the last since we’ve hadn’t had people shooting all the deer they were allowed. Most hunts this past season I saw three to five deer but other guys didn’t see near that much activity. Last two years we got one buck and one doe tag per hunter with more tags being available if we were shooting culls. Last year no deer were shot on this pasture. Year before one trophy, one cull and two does. Three years ago I think it was just a one buck and a few does. My buddy and I have not shot culls ourselves because we are focusing on getting age classes built up. I look forward to the hard work and waiting paying off when we’ll need to keep the doe population in control and start culling lower end bucks, but we are not there yet. If you feel like you have to shoot 2 or 3 deer to have a successful season this is not the place for you right now.

Below is a quick run down on the more important rules/conditions. PM me with your email address for copy of last year’s full lease agreement. Feel free to reply to this post with any questions so I can answer for the benefit of anybody else interested.

Lease runs February 15, 2015 to January 15, 2016 and includes deer, hogs, dove, turkeys.
Last year trophy bucks were considered 5.5+. That is up to the MLD program and I don’t expect that to change.
Lease cost is $2,000 per hunter and includes camphouse. Electricity is an additional shared expense.
Water is not currently available, we might be able to get water service but I can’t guarantee it.
Spouse and your kids 18 and under may hunt from your tag.
No night hunting.
No varmint calling/trapping. Hog and coon trapping is OK.
Hunting with rifle and bow starts with normal bow season but does and cull bucks only until November (even for bow hunting).
Each hunter must provide a free choice protein feeder March through August (we’ve been running that a lot longer).
During deer season no hunting in other people’s blinds or areas around their blinds without permission.

Here are some late season photos.

Re: 2 openings on Hamilton County Lease [Re: billkd] #5576355 02/01/15 05:10 PM
T
TexasLandAgent Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
PM sent

Re: 2 openings on Hamilton County Lease [Re: billkd] #5576550 02/01/15 07:03 PM
A
AliceTx Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
A
Pm sent

Re: 2 openings on Hamilton County Lease [Re: billkd] #5577115 02/02/15 01:10 AM
M
mav06 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
M
PM Sent, very interested

Thanks,
Monty
Re: 2 openings on Hamilton County Lease [Re: billkd] #5577997 02/02/15 03:02 PM
K
Kactuskiller Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
K
That buck with the split brow has some great potential. Awesome deer at 2.5

Every potential trophy buck needs "another year";)
Re: 2 openings on Hamilton County Lease [Re: billkd] #5578209 02/02/15 05:07 PM
B
billkd Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
New information on the lease to share. Somebody asked a question in a PM that made me follow up on an assumption I'd been making about completely exclusive hunting rights. I've never seen other hunting activity out there in three years so I hadn't thought about it but here's the correct information from the lease manager....

You have exclusive deer and turkey hunting and exclusive hunting during deer season. No one will be in yours or any pasture during deer season. Outside of deer season is the ranches and we will use as desired. There is no hunting outside deer and turkey season by the lessees. If hunters are in during the off season filling feeders and maintaining camps...you may shoot hogs.

I hog hunt the ranch, owners may have relatives out on occasion. Sometimes I have predator hunters in there.

Re: 2 openings on Hamilton County Lease [Re: billkd] #5578368 02/02/15 06:29 PM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: billkd
New information on the lease to share. Somebody asked a question in a PM that made me follow up on an assumption I'd been making about completely exclusive hunting rights. I've never seen other hunting activity out there in three years so I hadn't thought about it but here's the correct information from the lease manager....

You have exclusive deer and turkey hunting and exclusive hunting during deer season. No one will be in yours or any pasture during deer season. Outside of deer season is the ranches and we will use as desired. There is no hunting outside deer and turkey season by the lessees. If hunters are in during the off season filling feeders and maintaining camps...you may shoot hogs.

I hog hunt the ranch, owners may have relatives out on occasion. Sometimes I have predator hunters in there.

Seems reasonable to me..Owners get some recreational use out of the property during non-game times.

Re: 2 openings on Hamilton County Lease [Re: billkd] #5578789 02/02/15 10:46 PM
B
billkd Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
Another update based on a question I was asked...

There is livestock rotated in and out. This past season cattle showed up on part of our pasture in January. I don't recall them being on our pastures the previous two seasons but they were on a neighboring pasture towards the end of deer season before last. They have been rotated in a few other times outside of season. We also had some goats and sheep rotated once outside of deer season. It's a working ranch and I'm sure the hunting income doesn't match the livestock so that's something we just have to deal with to have this place.

Wanted to throw that out there since we had someone back out of looking at the place for that reason.

Re: 2 openings on Hamilton County Lease [Re: billkd] #5579340 02/03/15 03:16 AM
H
Halfadozen Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Where is Evant? Price seems right, can you tells a little more about topography?

Freedom is a fragile thing ...Those who have known freedom, and then lost it, have never known it again.
-- Ronald Reagan

Re: 2 openings on Hamilton County Lease [Re: billkd] #5579374 02/03/15 03:34 AM
B
billkd Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
Evant is 30 minutes north of Lampasas on 281. Several fairly steep canyons feeding into a wet weather creek running along one of the long sides of the place. PM me your email address and I'll send you a Google Earth file in the morning showing boundaries and current blind locations.

Re: 2 openings on Hamilton County Lease [Re: billkd] #5580452 02/03/15 08:58 PM
A
AZBear Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
A
Only 2 miles from this pasture, they killed a 174" buck and some 150 class on a pasture of this ranch. They have been managing a little longer, so the potential is there. Bill and his buddy are great guys to be on a lease with. When I used to hunt the ranch, I would see 8-15 deer every hunt. Those young deer show the potential in the place.

Re: 2 openings on Hamilton County Lease [Re: billkd] #5580638 02/03/15 11:05 PM
T
TexasLandAgent Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
I'll second, Bill is a class act. Real good guy to deal with.

Re: 2 openings on Hamilton County Lease [Re: billkd] #5581097 02/04/15 03:27 AM
E
esnow74 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
E
being a single hunter looking to join a new group can really stink sometimes. Always hunted with dad and his buddies but now dad is not willing to pay current prices to hunt since he wants to retire. I gotta find a new group or teach my buddies how to get the ok from their wives. Good luck and I hope you guys find a good pair to join the journey of growing and managing mature deer.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide