New Hog Hunter #5567378 01/27/15 06:44 PM
L
LilTurkey Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
L
Hello,

I am a hunter from the Midwest. I would like to go on a hog hunt in Texas for my honeymoon in September. I don't know a lot about hog hunting. I assume this would be a fairly hot time, and day hunting may be difficult. Can you provide me with some expertise from your experiences? Also, does anyone know anything about Tatonka Creek? I'm thinking about going either there, or Hunter Creek Ranch.

Re: New Hog Hunter [Re: LilTurkey] #5567392 01/27/15 06:56 PM
KyleFC Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
Spot you might want to take a look at as well is... http://www.mprhunts.com/

It's close to where I hunt, and it's pretty cool driving through during the evening to see all the exotics.

Re: New Hog Hunter [Re: LilTurkey] #5567440 01/27/15 07:18 PM
P
Pittstate Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
If it is high fenced and animals are forced to come to feeders you should be ok, but if you are wanting free range hogs, September can be tough depending on the natural food sources (like acorns). When the natural food sources are bountiful, they like to go nocturnal and stay away from feeders.

July is probably my favorite time to hunt them. Go to a pond and sit and wait. They must have water to keep cool and live. Action is good during mid afternoon and always good right before dark and after dark.

Second favorite is Jan/Feb. Most of natural food sources are gone and they will be in wheat fields or on feeders pretty good.

If just for a honeymoon deal, I would opt for a night thermal hunt. Lots of action and better than sitting down and waiting.

Re: New Hog Hunter [Re: LilTurkey] #5567601 01/27/15 08:50 PM
L
LilTurkey Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
L
Thanks Guys, This is super helpful! I appreciate it!

Re: New Hog Hunter [Re: LilTurkey] #5567851 01/27/15 11:21 PM
R
Roo Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
You may check out Ridgeback Creek in Crowell, Tx. They specialize in archery hog hunting and they have been knocking down some big hogs there. Here is the link to their web site www.ridgebackcreekhoghunts.com
and here is the link for their Facebook page as well. www.facebook.com/ridgebackcreek
Hope this helps.

Re: New Hog Hunter [Re: LilTurkey] #5568098 01/28/15 01:07 AM
4dog Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
Yeah despite what you may have heard,there are not so many hogs that you are gonna get to see one every time you go , at least free range that is.

Re: New Hog Hunter [Re: LilTurkey] #5568175 01/28/15 01:50 AM
H
Hard Scrabbler Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
H
Hog hunting honeymoon... Are you sure you're not a Texan?

Re: New Hog Hunter [Re: 4dog] #5568213 01/28/15 02:04 AM
KyleFC Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
Originally Posted By: 4dog
Yeah despite what you may have heard,there are not so many hogs that you are gonna get to see one every time you go , at least free range that is.

True story. I was out almost every weekend deer hunting and never saw a single pig for over 2 months. Went out last weekend and saw pigs both days.

Re: New Hog Hunter [Re: LilTurkey] #5570009 01/29/15 01:12 AM
H
Hogz Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
Im from Nebraska and we are headed down to HUNTERS CREEK RANCH next week. This is our 4th trip down there! ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS PLACE! Highly recommend it! We have been hunting hogs for 14 years now in Oklahoma and Texas and HUNTERS CREEK RANCH is right there at the top!

Bob will work hard to ensure you have a GREAT hunting experience. Not to mention the price is RIGHT! $275/day gets you 2 hogs per day (1 over 100lbs and 1 under) plus 3 meals a day and lodging is included. The ranch house is very clean and comfortable.

If you have any questions about the place, PM me and I will reply.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Shoot Str8 and Stay Safe
Jeff
Omaha Fire Captain
Re: New Hog Hunter [Re: LilTurkey] #5570104 01/29/15 02:12 AM
M
Microsktr Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
Any time of the year is good for hog hunting in my opinion, I love it that much. However, the purpose of the hunt changes a bit with the weather. Back in August, I was literally sweating in a tree stand at night with a crossbow (clad only in a tee shirt and jeans), trying to keep the jokers away from the new protein feeder I had set up in advance of deer season. I wasn't too worried about the meat...it was more about hog control at that time. Once deer season starts and the weather cools off, then it's time to go dual-purpose...hunt hogs just before dawn, then hunt deer during the day, and go back to hunting hogs at dusk. If I happened to shoot a deer and a hog the same day, that was double gravy to take to the processor. I think my favorite time to hunt hogs is Jan-Feb-Mar, when deer season ends and before spring turkey season begins. Couple of reasons I like this time: Fewer hunters in the woods, the hogs are much more likely to come to the feeders, and if you happen to shoot a hog and it runs off, it's cold enough that the meat should be OK overnight until you are able to track it down in the morning. Speaking of shooting, shot placement on a pig is somewhat different than a deer. Don't shoot a pig in the shoulder...they have too much protection in that area, and you will probably end up wounding it (and a wounded pig is an extremely dangerous animal). Try to shoot it just behind the ear; it should drop in its tracks if the shot is placed correctly. Good luck in your porcine pursuits! elmer

AF(Retired)/DV; busted mine to save yours then...bustin' Bambi to save the American hunting dream now!
Re: New Hog Hunter [Re: LilTurkey] #5573982 01/31/15 12:47 AM
J
JHall Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
J
I just returned from Hunters Creek Ranch about 2 weeks ago, I also was new to hog hunting. Our group of 8 killed 38 hogs in 4 days, Bob and his crew are awesome, we booked our hunt for next year prior to leaving. I would highly recommend Hunters Creek Ranch to anyone looking for a great time and filling up their freezers !!!!!!!
JHall from Ohio

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide