Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Backing the dogs #5547044 01/16/15 07:35 PM
bill oxner Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
I just had a phone conversation with my friend who has the red setters. He's on a five day two ranch south Texas loop. They used only his dogs at the first stop. He used the word exasperated when telling me about the people approaching the covey point. Two different pointed coveys got up while people were smelling the roses. It really is like walking into and out of a beautiful painting all day long, but the covey is not painted there. I know you guys with dogs have all seen it. You need to be aggressive when the dogs are on point. Any stories or comments?

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Backing the dogs [Re: bill oxner] #5547070 01/16/15 07:48 PM
B
blanked Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I disagree. 2 of my dogs run 400 to 800 yards so it can take me 20 minutes to reach them sometimes. Still pointing and holding birds when i get there. Thats the whole reason for pointers so they cover ground so i dont have to

Re: Backing the dogs [Re: bill oxner] #5547106 01/16/15 08:05 PM
R
RayB Online Content
red bone Bob
Online Content
red bone Bob
R
In my mind Mr. Bill is talking about when you get to the dogs. You don't stand behind them counting the fleas on their butts. You walk in with a purpose.

There is time, and you must take it, to lay your hand on your dog's head as you walk past him lying on the floor or on his settle, time to talk with him, to remember with him, time to please him, time you can't buy back once he's gone" GBE
Re: Backing the dogs [Re: RayB] #5547111 01/16/15 08:09 PM
CCBIRDDOGMAN Online Content
Bird Herder
Online Content
Bird Herder
Originally Posted By: Barny Topwater
In my mind Mr. Bill is talking about when you get to the dogs. You don't stand behind them counting the fleas on their butts. You walk in with a purpose.

+1

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Haven't had it in years but never spit any out.

I am a sucker for happy endings and strapped cowboys.
Re: Backing the dogs [Re: bill oxner] #5547123 01/16/15 08:20 PM
bill oxner Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Try it with a woman on the truck.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Backing the dogs [Re: blanked] #5547182 01/16/15 08:57 PM
bill oxner Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: blanked
I disagree. 2 of my dogs run 400 to 800 yards so it can take me 20 minutes to reach them sometimes. Still pointing and holding birds when i get there. Thats the whole reason for pointers so they cover ground so i dont have to

I'm not worried about my dogs flushing, but some birds run off. Some don't. I lost an old pointer at the end of the season years ago, and returned the following year to find the skeleton of the pointer pointing the skeleton of a quail.

Last edited by bill oxner; 01/16/15 09:37 PM.

[Linked Image]

Re: Backing the dogs [Re: bill oxner] #5547251 01/16/15 09:28 PM
R
RayB Online Content
red bone Bob
Online Content
red bone Bob
R
Originally Posted By: bill oxner

I'm not worried about my dogs flushing, but some birds run off. Some don't. I lost an old pointer at he end of the season years ago, and returned the following year to find the skeleton of the pointer pointing the skeleton of a quail.

bs roflmao

There is time, and you must take it, to lay your hand on your dog's head as you walk past him lying on the floor or on his settle, time to talk with him, to remember with him, time to please him, time you can't buy back once he's gone" GBE
Re: Backing the dogs [Re: bill oxner] #5547307 01/16/15 10:08 PM
K
kindall Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
I'm pretty mellow in the field. It would take a whole lot to upset me.
If the birds move without flushing because someone was being slow, my dog will relocate.
I go hunting because I enjoy it, and being out in the field relaxes me.
If it made me mad most of the time, I would find a new hobby.

Shopping with your husband is like hunting with the game warden.
Experience is what you get, when you didn't get what you wanted.

Re: Backing the dogs [Re: bill oxner] #5547447 01/17/15 12:01 AM
bill oxner Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
I got a call from a friend last night who is really not a quail hunter, but he got invited. It was his first time to hunt off a tall truck (his words not mine). The dogs pointed. He is left handed so he went to the left side. We all know that he was180 degrees off.

[Linked Image]

Re: Backing the dogs [Re: bill oxner] #5547551 01/17/15 01:03 AM
B
blanked Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
This is a good reason I hunt alone. I don't understand why it matters if you approach the birds from the left or right side of the dog depending on if you shoot left or right handed.

Also if it is what Bill means and the birds flush while your still behind the dog instead of in front of the dog its a wash out. I don't buy that. As long as the birds are in range is all that matters

Some of you shouldn't bother hunting wild chukars . None of this stuff applies

Last edited by blanked; 01/17/15 01:06 AM.
Re: Backing the dogs [Re: bill oxner] #5547562 01/17/15 01:09 AM
D
dwheel Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
D
I hunted a few yrs with a shool ad. man.. left handed.. he refused to go into a point on right side.. thus he was shooting left to right.. and claiming ever bird that fell.. later he went with wife to a dude ranch vacation.. they had a single shotgun..and pigeon thrower on ranch.. his wife was hitting everything.. and he miss all he shot at..go figure

Re: Backing the dogs [Re: blanked] #5547712 01/17/15 02:36 AM
C
changedmyname Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
This is a good reason I hunt alone. I don't understand why it matters if you approach the birds from the left or right side of the dog depending on if you shoot left or right handed.

Also if it is what Bill means and the birds flush while your still behind the dog instead of in front of the dog its a wash out. I don't buy that. As long as the birds are in range is all that matters

I was wondering what he meant. I've never heard that. I don't know all the ins and outs of quail hunting etiquette though. Would hate to get talked about after a hunt.

Re: Backing the dogs [Re: changedmyname] #5548029 01/17/15 01:28 PM
H
hrn Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
H
he may not wanted to clean& eat clay piegons

hrn
Re: Backing the dogs [Re: changedmyname] #5548043 01/17/15 01:43 PM
bill oxner Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: iliketohunt

I was wondering what he meant. I've never heard that. I don't know all the ins and outs of quail hunting etiquette though. Would hate to get talked about after a hunt.

What if the birds flush while you are still getting off the truck or loading your guns? That is what was happening to my friend. I used the term, "smelling the roses." He used the term, "dicking around."

[Linked Image]

Re: Backing the dogs [Re: bill oxner] #5548085 01/17/15 02:22 PM
N
NorthTXbirdhunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
N
I knew what you are referring to Bill. The next scenario....Dog on point...locked down hard...how may times have you seen a person tip-toe up to the flush? I want the birds in the air while it seems some appear that they are sneaking up on the bird. I tell my hunting mates to just stay even with me...go as fast as I go...when flushing.

Re: Backing the dogs [Re: bill oxner] #5548140 01/17/15 02:56 PM
CCBIRDDOGMAN Online Content
Bird Herder
Online Content
Bird Herder
The birds know the dog is there, and they know when you are getting close too, all I took from Bills post is, don't take your time, the dogs have worked hard to locate them, get up there and get em flushed before the pressure makes them flush wild. I am guilty of stopping alot though, I like to get pics. I'm usually waving my buddy in because I am jacking around with my camera.

Haven't had it in years but never spit any out.

I am a sucker for happy endings and strapped cowboys.
Re: Backing the dogs [Re: NorthTXbirdhunter] #5548172 01/17/15 03:18 PM
D
dwheel Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
D
Just this past season.. had a open field point.. great find by young pointer.. a person I took along.. did as you mentioned.. took forever to get off cart.. then stumbled over a bird on way.. popped off too wild shots.. birds flew from out in front of pointed dog.. this was a person that had hunted for years..just a bad mental error..I asked why he did.. he said thought you said it was OK to shoot walk ups.. I will never leave out.. "No walk ups shooting.. when going to.. a dog is on point" again..

I like to ask hunters.. How do you hunt your dogs.. I personally dont like going direct in over a pointed dog.. just added pressure to an very exitable time for a dog, esp a yonger one..

Re: Backing the dogs [Re: bill oxner] #5548176 01/17/15 03:21 PM
D
dwheel Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
D
{Just this past season.. had a open field point.. great find by young pointer.. a person I took along.. did as you mentioned.. took forever to get off cart.. then stumbled over a bird on way.. popped off too wild shots.. birds flew from out in front of pointed dog.. this was a person that had hunted for years..just a bad mental error..I asked why he did.. he said thought you said it was OK to shoot walk ups.. I will never leave out.. "No walk ups shooting.. when going to.. a dog is on point" again..

I like to ask hunters.. How do you hunt your dogs.. I personally dont like going direct in over a pointed dog.. just added pressure to an very exitable time for a dog, esp a yonger one..]

LOL.. JUST REALIZED SPELL CHECK.. NOT WORKING.. WOW.. we get lazy.. when things are being done for us..

Re: Backing the dogs [Re: dwheel] #5548195 01/17/15 03:29 PM
N
NorthTXbirdhunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
N
That brings up another point about flushing. If possible, I don't approach from directly behind the dog. I would rather swing wide and approach from the front where the dog can see me. My dogs hold steadier and tighter doing it this way. From behind, the dog sometimes thinks I am inviting him to go with me to the flush.

Re: Backing the dogs [Re: bill oxner] #5548239 01/17/15 03:58 PM
C
changedmyname Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: bill oxner
Originally Posted By: iliketohunt

What if the birds flush while you are still getting off the truck or loading your guns? That is what was happening to my friend. I used the term, "smelling the roses." He used the term, "dicking around."

Haha dicking around is tame compared to what the crowd I run with would probably say. I havent been in that situation though cuz I've only hunted on foot so I'm always busting azz to keep up and get there asap while he's pointing.

I just never heard of certain directions to approach based off how you shoot.

Re: Backing the dogs [Re: bill oxner] #5548274 01/17/15 04:26 PM
D
dwheel Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
D
Do an imaginary pull up on following and shooting a bird.. most people prefer to shoot with gun pushing cheek.. rather than head following gun.. so if left handed.. if you are on right side when flushing.. birds flying to right.. would be natural.. with hunter I referred to he always wanted to be on left side.. coz he had mostly hunted alone.. when covey rose.. the birds flying to the left.. were given a free ride.. he was always shooting at same birds other hunter was.. I like to divide covey rise.. thoses that fly from left are one shooter those to right are another.. and if 3rd guy is there he gets the middle.. helps to tell how your hitting

Re: Backing the dogs [Re: bill oxner] #5548293 01/17/15 04:40 PM
D
dwheel Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
D
I have been hunting for far longer than I like to admit.. but do it for the dog work.. I could care less who drops the bird.. as long as someone does to respect, for the work, my dogs put in to getting us in the position.. I like reward their efforts with a mouth on a bird.. But it this case the guy.. thought he was a good shot.. from cross shooting.. but was later embarassed, by his wife, a non hunter, on clay targets. I was told same from others he had hunted with.. no big deal.. but if you know where to be everybody gets to shoot their best

Re: Backing the dogs [Re: bill oxner] #5548317 01/17/15 05:17 PM
bill oxner Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
My group always only put two guns on the ground for each point. I no longer shoot.

[Linked Image]

Re: Backing the dogs [Re: dwheel] #5548669 01/17/15 10:55 PM
B
bobcat1 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: dwheel
Do an imaginary pull up on following and shooting a bird.. most people prefer to shoot with gun pushing cheek.. rather than head following gun.. so if left handed.. if you are on right side when flushing.. birds flying to right.. would be natural.. with hunter I referred to he always wanted to be on left side.. coz he had mostly hunted alone.. when covey rose.. the birds flying to the left.. were given a free ride.. he was always shooting at same birds other hunter was.. I like to divide covey rise.. thoses that fly from left are one shooter those to right are another.. and if 3rd guy is there he gets the middle.. helps to tell how your hitting
I used to hunt with a guy we all called "Got eeem". Everytime a covey rose or if we were pheasant hunting and a rooster flew. He would say "Got eeem" We nearly broke him of it one pheasant trip. The other 5 of us agreed no shooting on the first 5 birds. "Got eeem" missed every bird. He asked why we weren't shooting and one of the guys said you killed every bird yesterday so we didn't bring any shells. roflmao

I'm a lefty and I never gave it much thought on cheek to gun or head following. I usually approach from the left side now that I think of it. Who'd a thought it. Been doing it wrong 50 years. Maybe that's why I missed so many.

Bobby Barnett

Re: Backing the dogs [Re: bill oxner] #5549231 01/18/15 04:47 AM
shooterwalter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Good thread thanks to all

www.poetryshootingclub.com

Gun Dog Training, Flighty Quail

Guided/Unguided Quail Hunting

Group Events/Parties

700 Yard Range

CLOSE TO DALLAS

Take a youth shooting

214-728-2755

By appointment always and you shoot in private.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide