G
Greekangler Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: tigger
Originally Posted By: Going Green
Originally Posted By: Greekangler
Teal wood top 2- divers best prep in trash can. I avoid them like the plague.

Canvasbacks are actually not bad- in sausage

Shooting ducks and throwing them away is called Wanton Waste and it's against the law. If you're advocating for that on a public forum, it's time to hang the waders up and take up golf because you're a liability and disgrace to the hunting community and its just a matter of time before you become fodder for anti-hunters.

The fact that you would even put Canvasback and sausage in the same sentence tells me everything I need to know. You don't like eating duck? Then either give them to someone who does or don't hunt.

They make good bait for hog traps.

Another smart arse comment who doesn't understand English or sarcasm. If u look at my pics, you will rarely see many divers outside of canvasbacks. True sportsman eat what they kill. We pass on shooting bluebills religiously because of table fare- everything outside of teal, woodies and mallards goes to the sausage pile. I will try Larrys recipe for canvasback. Have heard they are as good as any.

Last edited by Greekangler; 01/13/15 05:11 AM.

[Linked Image]
Take a kid Huntin
Re: Best tasting ducks [Re: Jacob645] #5539426 01/13/15 06:30 AM
_
_Scooter_ Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
_
Canvasbacks that ate wild celery were the main target of the turn-of-the-century market hunters...

Wasn't born in Texas, but I got there as fast as I could.
Re: Best tasting ducks [Re: Greekangler] #5539574 01/13/15 01:26 PM
G
Going Green Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
G

Shooting ducks and throwing them away is called Wanton Waste and it's against the law. If you're advocating for that on a public forum, it's time to hang the waders up and take up golf because you're a liability and disgrace to the hunting community and its just a matter of time before you become fodder for anti-hunters.

The fact that you would even put Canvasback and sausage in the same sentence tells me everything I need to know. You don't like eating duck? Then either give them to someone who does or don't hunt.

Another smart arse comment who doesn't understand English or sarcasm. If u look at my pics, you will rarely see many divers outside of canvasbacks. True sportsman eat what they kill. We pass on shooting bluebills religiously because of table fare- everything outside of teal, woodies and mallards goes to the sausage pile. I will try Larrys recipe for canvasback. Have heard they are as good as any.

Oh, so you were just trying to be funny? confused2

Re: Best tasting ducks [Re: _Scooter_] #5539579 01/13/15 01:30 PM
B
beaversnipe Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted By: _Scooter_
Canvasbacks that ate wild celery were the main target of the turn-of-the-century market hunters...

No, they eat pot.

Makes you talk like that.

www.TexasPondPoppers.com
Originally Posted by bill oxner
Loved my 4 inches. Well needed.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Hate Russians. Love happy endings. I saw snot fly. cheers

Re: Best tasting ducks [Re: Greekangler] #5539926 01/13/15 04:04 PM
L
LarryCopper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted By: LarryCopper
Lots of misinformation on the Can. The Can is king! On the table, too. Breasted out with the skin on, blackened on an iron skillet. Best duck you will ever have.

Will try that Larry. Thx

Just a little butter to get it going. Skin side first so it renders out some good duck juice. Rare to medium rare of course, but it does take a bit longer than you might think to cook. food

Re: Best tasting ducks [Re: Jacob645] #5539962 01/13/15 04:20 PM
B
bobcatt Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
i grill ducks regularly the same, and have conducted taste tests with my wife and kids. I'll eat about any waterfowl. their favorite meats are dove, quail, and venison.

My 4 & 6 year old girls eat it with ketchup and say it tastes like steak. Teal, gadwall, widgeon, mallard, redheads, cans, pintails, snows, ross, canadas, specks, sandhills....no complaints.

bluebills, shovelers, ruddy, and ringnecks were the ones they could tell weren't "steak"

Re: Best tasting ducks [Re: Jacob645] #5540604 01/13/15 08:20 PM
R
Randy H Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
R
With the exception of teal, they ALL taste like liver to me. I make chili out of mine. Grind them up in sausage grinder on course wheel. Then soak in saltwater overnight. Run them through the grinder again on a fine wheel. Then make chili out of them. You can't tell they were ever ducks.

A good friend of mine had a good recipe for ducks also. It was similar to cedar plank tilapia. Get you a good bed of coals going. Take a duck breast and lay in on a thin cedar plank. Add seasoning, onions, peppers, and butter. Lay it in the coals and let her cook. Just about the time it gets done, throw the duck away and eat the board. It will taste better than the duck.

Re: Best tasting ducks [Re: Randy H] #5540620 01/13/15 08:24 PM
T
TXPride Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Randy H
With the exception of teal, they ALL taste like liver to me.

This = overcooked

Soak all the ducks in saltwater for a day or so and don't cook past medium.

Re: Best tasting ducks [Re: Jacob645] #5540624 01/13/15 08:26 PM
P
passthru Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
My experience has been that duck can taste good. It just takes so much prep and care it's just not worth it to me. I let the other guys eat it while I drink another beer.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Best tasting ducks [Re: passthru] #5540655 01/13/15 08:38 PM
T
TXPride Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: passthru
My experience has been that duck can taste good. It just takes so much prep and care it's just not worth it to me. I let the other guys eat it while I drink another beer.

Ha!...says the goat and ram hunter.

barf

Re: Best tasting ducks [Re: kmon11] #5540771 01/13/15 09:40 PM
A
aerangis Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
A
Originally Posted By: kmon1
The 2 old men that I started duck hunting with in the 70s told me the ones with yellow or orange feet taste the best. Tend to agree with that.

Goes for geese also, Specks taste lots better than Snows or Canadas to me.

Yellow dogs sell for a premium at food markets in mainland China. They say they taste better than dark colored dogs.

No BS....

Re: Best tasting ducks [Re: Jacob645] #5540781 01/13/15 09:43 PM
P
passthru Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Don't eat goat and ram and I don't believe you have seen me post a pic of one I've taken as well. Mostly because I won't eat one, put one on my wall or know anyone who wants to eat one. Now deer and pig well . . .

NRA Life Member
Re: Best tasting ducks [Re: Jacob645] #5540798 01/13/15 09:50 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
pull it off the bone and cook it fresh.. I let it marinade in beer for a few hours... then grill it slow... no bacon no crazy seasoning.. taste good

Re: Best tasting ducks [Re: LarryCopper] #5540799 01/13/15 09:52 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Lots of misinformation on the Can. The Can is king! On the table, too. Breasted out with the skin on, blackened on an iron skillet. Best duck you will ever have.

They resemble closet to black jacks.. don't know why either get such a bad rep I think its cuz most get lazy when its time to clean them

Re: Best tasting ducks [Re: Arbor Guy] #5540805 01/13/15 09:56 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Originally Posted By: Arbor Guy
We've been killing ring necks and mallards only this season. We can't tell the difference in flavor. Maybe we arent cooking them right but they all taste good. Blackened in butter they taste like little steaks. I'll take your throw always!

No your doing it right they taste no different... just tuffer to clean.

Re: Best tasting ducks [Re: beaversnipe] #5540807 01/13/15 09:57 PM
F
Fowlman Offline
Tracker
Tracker
F
Originally Posted by beaversnipe

LA TOUR D'ARGENT: paris

Best duck you will EVER eat!

Never been, but dying to try...

What? Sir Beaversnipe, master bird hunter and waterfowler never had smashed duck? I figured a man of your stature had tried it all. roflmao. It does look good, maybe a little to fancy for an old country boy like me. cheers

Re: Best tasting ducks [Re: Jacob645] #5540808 01/13/15 09:57 PM
W
Wool E. Booger Offline
Tracker
Tracker
W
I like Teal and Woodduck first. Gadwall, Mallards, and other dabblers all the same to me. Soaking them all in milk overnight before cooking does a world of good to me.

Re: Best tasting ducks [Re: Greekangler] #5540820 01/13/15 10:00 PM
T
tigger Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T

Hogs taste great and it is the best way to make duck taste good is to feed it to a hog and eat the hog. The sickest I have ever been is after eating duck. My opinion and worth exactly what it cost. I am very glad that some folks like to eat duck. I quit hunting them because I did not like them and I could not give them away.

Tigger
If it isn't white it is not a birddog.

KC
Lying is lying. Don't bitch about one doing it and condone another. That's called hypocrisy.
Re: Best tasting ducks [Re: Jacob645] #5541055 01/14/15 12:26 AM
P
passthru Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
I quit hunting them because of unethical hunters on public water and after my dog died I lost all desire to do it. Borrowed a gun and went with some friends for a couple hunts on private land this year and it was fun. First time in ten years or so. May have to buy another shotgun and go a few times next season. And don't get me wrong. They were good off of the grill. Just so much went into the prep I was 3 beers and a pork chop in before they got them on the grill. By the time they were done I had some chicken and only had room for a bite or two. Lot's of trouble vs. a chop or chicken that you sprinkle some Tony's and grill. They all seemed happy to clean and carry them home so why would I argue with that?

NRA Life Member
Re: Best tasting ducks [Re: tigger] #5541401 01/14/15 03:14 AM
Jeff Elder Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter

That's crazy. You and I are almost on the same page, except I use quail for hog traps. Hogs love quail, except wild hog taste like crap so I just sell them to old fossil quail hunters so they might be able to taste the faint flavor of wild quail in the hog meat. Wow who would have ever thought.

North central TX duck and dove hunts
www.silvercreekguideservice.com

Cell 817-597-0781
Re: Best tasting ducks [Re: LarryCopper] #5543247 01/14/15 11:45 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Just a little butter to get it going. Skin side first so it renders out some good duck juice. Rare to medium rare of course, but it does take a bit longer than you might think to cook. food

I tried that once this season, the skin was chewy, not very good. Maybe I didn't cook it long enough with skin down, it certainly was not "blackend". I didn't use butter either, just bacon grease.

Re: Best tasting ducks [Re: Jacob645] #5543253 01/14/15 11:49 PM
#
#Hayraker Offline
Chihuahua
Chihuahua
#
It takes 6-8 minutes on skin side and 4-5 on the meat side

#sigline
Re: Best tasting ducks [Re: Jacob645] #5543254 01/14/15 11:50 PM
#
#Hayraker Offline
Chihuahua