Page 1 of 2 1 2
working on the duck boat question. #5529854 01/09/15 03:42 PM
W
wal1809 Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
W
I started looking at the binacle last night for the pontoon boat "Palace de la Wano" duck blind last night. I have all the parts to the binnacle and I can see how they go back together. The wires were cut allowing for removal by the old owner. I can see which one goes where as they are yellow to yellow, Yellow with a red strip to yellow with a red stripe, blue to blue, green to green, purple to purple and red to red. Seems easy! Well there is a purple with a white strip and I have no freakin idea where the matching wire is located. I have a feeling this binnacle came from a different boat because albiet they are the same color wires, the cuts don't match. (Yes I know, it is the CSI guy in me).

That purple white feeds an on/off toggle switch on the binnacle. So it seems to me 12v power is coming in by the purple/white wire. I would imagine it has to do with nuetral safety, but I am not sure. Does anyone out there have expertise in these things that can lend advice.

The last pontoon boat I rebuilt, the purple wire delivered 12v power throughout the center console. The harness I bought came with two different connectors, you simply used the style you needed and I should have taped off the other one. I didn't and it was hanging out of view. I blew out a bunch of main fuses before I finally saw that connector had been making ground. I fixed it and never had a problem after that.

I can photograph the wires tonight. My weekend goal is to get this hooked up.

Re: working on the duck boat question. [Re: wal1809] #5529867 01/09/15 03:48 PM
D
DuckCoach1985 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
can't help you with the wires BUT, if you ever need a buddy to help you kill ducks out of that thing.. I could use a lesson or two! eeks333

Last edited by DuckCoach1985; 01/09/15 03:49 PM.
Re: working on the duck boat question. [Re: DuckCoach1985] #5529940 01/09/15 04:17 PM
W
wal1809 Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: DuckCoach1985
can't help you with the wires BUT, if you ever need a buddy to help you kill ducks out of that thing.. I could use a lesson or two! eeks333

It should prove to be fun. I have dreamed of having one for a long long time. My recent ticker issues are by no means life threatening. No man at anytime has the ability to not think about his own demise when they are using copius amounts of electricity to stop and start his heart. His mind wonders off to
"places he should have" and "things he should have". Again, I don't have one foot in the grave but I can damn sure see where we are all headed. If there is something you want to do, you best get to skinning it. There are no promises for tomorrow. I reckon in my profession that becomes a crystal clear reality. Therefore, I am back on the "Casa De La Wano" project. I want a chance to go out, stay all night, stay all day and be comfortable. More so I want my wife to be comfortable. Momma happy, me happy.

I have a full size LP gas stove I think I am going to use. I have one dearborne heater and will pick up another. Two heaters between the 4 shooters, facing into the boat should toast it up real nice.

So far as going with me. Not a problem. Be advised time is short. I have a long list of folks that I want to take but getting their's and my schedule down is a PITA.

Last edited by wal1809; 01/09/15 04:18 PM.
Re: working on the duck boat question. [Re: wal1809] #5529956 01/09/15 04:23 PM
D
DuckCoach1985 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: wal1809

It should prove to be fun. I have dreamed of having one for a long long time. My recent ticker issues are by no means life threatening. No man at anytime has the ability to not think about his own demise when they are using copius amounts of electricity to stop and start his heart. His mind wonders off to
"places he should have" and "things he should have". Again, I don't have one foot in the grave but I can damn sure see where we are all headed. If there is something you want to do, you best get to skinning it. There are no promises for tomorrow. I reckon in my profession that becomes a crystal clear reality. Therefore, I am back on the "Casa De La Wano" project. I want a chance to go out, stay all night, stay all day and be comfortable. More so I want my wife to be comfortable. Momma happy, me happy.

I have a full size LP gas stove I think I am going to use. I have one dearborne heater and will pick up another. Two heaters between the 4 shooters, facing into the boat should toast it up real nice.

So far as going with me. Not a problem. Be advised time is short. I have a long list of folks that I want to take but getting their's and my schedule down is a PITA.

Friends and family come first, but if you ever find yourself needing a partner I'm in!

Re: working on the duck boat question. [Re: wal1809] #5530027 01/09/15 04:48 PM
T
TXPride Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Maybe I'm not following the question well, and I'm not good with this stuff so I apologize if this is a dumb guess:

Could it be to a battery power cut off that was taken off before you got it?

Re: working on the duck boat question. [Re: wal1809] #5530043 01/09/15 04:53 PM
W
wal1809 Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
W
Me, texts with a buddy and pictures from a like binnacle on ebay, just figured it out. The guy I bought the boat from lied his hinder off. That binnacle was similar to the original on the boat but not the original. The center console has a kill switch installed on it. The switch on the binnacle is actually a on/ off kill switch. So all I have to do is 12v power it or bypass it and use the other kill switch already in place.

Re: working on the duck boat question. [Re: TXPride] #5530046 01/09/15 04:53 PM
W
wal1809 Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: TXPride
Maybe I'm not following the question well, and I'm not good with this stuff so I apologize if this is a dumb guess:

Could it be to a battery power cut off that was taken off before you got it?

You had it surrounded.

Re: working on the duck boat question. [Re: DuckCoach1985] #5530070 01/09/15 05:06 PM
W
wal1809 Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
W

Friends and family come first, but if you ever find yourself needing a partner I'm in!

I am pretty sure it will happen. After all that is what the Casa is for. I wanted it to expand my opportunities. The logistics of going to lake X, getting a near hotel, getting up at arse:30 in the morning and doing the rat race and having to leave before noon is no longer appealing to me. I want to roll in slow, make some supper, maybe watch a DVD, read a good book and just chill. If I have all those extra steps like unloading at the hotel, loading up, feeding the dogs, going to a restaurant, all that crap just takes time that I quite frankly, don't have to give any longer. I usually just decide not to do it.

OK for a more up beat part of the discussion. What shall I name the boat? Casa De La Duckzlut? Casa De Patos, Casa De Wano? I am leaning to Casa De Wano with por nada in smaller letters next to that. My UMother and Uncle both grew up on the Mezkin border in Mercedes Rio grande City area in the 1920s and 30s. My Uncle was 15 years old when he joined the Marines to go fight the Japanese in the Southern Pacific campaign. He turned 16 the day the US invaded Peleliu. He lost all his friends before hitting the beach and spending the next 6 weeks fighting the devil in hell. I think it was 20,000 men died on that tiny island.

He has been my hero since I can remember. He is still alive. He and my nother both spoke fluent spanish because of the area. Everytime he would see me, my uncle would smile and hollar "Wanooooo".Then under his breath he would say "por nada". Tothis day he still says it and I am a grown arse man. So maybe we will have to just call the boat Casa De WANO por nada!

Re: working on the duck boat question. [Re: wal1809] #5530084 01/09/15 05:09 PM
D
DuckCoach1985 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D

I am pretty sure it will happen. After all that is what the Casa is for. I wanted it to expand my opportunities. The logistics of going to lake X, getting a near hotel, getting up at arse:30 in the morning and doing the rat race and having to leave before noon is no longer appealing to me. I want to roll in slow, make some supper, maybe watch a DVD, read a good book and just chill. If I have all those extra steps like unloading at the hotel, loading up, feeding the dogs, going to a restaurant, all that crap just takes time that I quite frankly, don't have to give any longer. I usually just decide not to do it.

OK for a more up beat part of the discussion. What shall I name the boat? Casa De La Duckzlut? Casa De Patos, Casa De Wano? I am leaning to Casa De Wano with por nada in smaller letters next to that. My UMother and Uncle both grew up on the Mezkin border in Mercedes Rio grande City area in the 1920s and 30s. My Uncle was 15 years old when he joined the Marines to go fight the Japanese in the Southern Pacific campaign. He turned 16 the day the US invaded Peleliu. He lost all his friends before hitting the beach and spending the next 6 weeks fighting the devil in hell. I think it was 20,000 men died on that tiny island.

He has been my hero since I can remember. He is still alive. He and my nother both spoke fluent spanish because of the area. Everytime he would see me, my uncle would smile and hollar "Wanooooo".Then under his breath he would say "por nada". Tothis day he still says it and I am a grown arse man. So maybe we will have to just call the boat Casa De WANO por nada!

Great story, sounds like a winner to me!

Re: working on the duck boat question. [Re: wal1809] #5530100 01/09/15 05:17 PM
Dave Speer Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Haha, I'm down with the name!

Re: working on the duck boat question. [Re: wal1809] #5530175 01/09/15 05:45 PM
T
TXPride Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Curious. Is Wano pronounced "wahn-oh" or "wain-Oh"

Re: working on the duck boat question. [Re: wal1809] #5530239 01/09/15 06:16 PM
W
wal1809 Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
W
My name is Wayne So it is a mockery of my name Wayne, pronounced like the spanish work for good, Bueno> Therefore he gets the dig at the end by saying por nada. Which for some of all who do not speak spanish, bueneo por nada translates into good for nothing. So be it my name is wayne, wayno, bueno, wano por nada. Everyone I know calls me Wano. My Uncle chucked it out there and it stuck. Casa De Wano Por Nada it is then. I am sure my wife would appreciate that better than Casa De Ducklzluts confused2

Re: working on the duck boat question. [Re: wal1809] #5530335 01/09/15 06:57 PM
M
muddyz Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
Wife will love it and it is a much better story to be telling all the time since you know dang well you will have to figure in an extra half hour every time you launch and trailer the dang thing to show all the onlookers!

Re: working on the duck boat question. [Re: wal1809] #5530484 01/09/15 07:52 PM
W
wal1809 Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
W
Muddyz you got a point. I as one of the early ones when the longtails hit the scene. People at every gas station and restaurant would come over and ask "WTH is that". I can only imagine it will be the same with the Big ball of brush fueling up. I would imagine it will get used 4 or 5 times in a season. When you have a lease that is small like mine, youo can only hunt it every so often. this way we can supplement our hunting while letting the lease calm down a little bit.

Re: working on the duck boat question. [Re: wal1809] #5534279 01/11/15 02:21 PM
W
wal1809 Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
W
I set up a canopy over my work area. This rain officially blows. I am glad to have it but I wish it would rain all week and clear up weekends.

When I got the binnacle control, it was in parts in a walmart bag. Working on a binnacle is about like working on a clock, intricate parts. I managed to get it all back together, figured out the wires and cables. I was actually able to get the powerhead started yesterday.

I just have it dummy hooked up now for testing. My goal is to have it all.hooked up and hardwired today. Once that haplens I can start with the blind on top.

Last edited by wal1809; 01/11/15 02:32 PM.
Re: working on the duck boat question. [Re: wal1809] #5534554 01/11/15 05:06 PM
Guy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Like the name. Think it will be ready by next season? Lets see some pics. up

Re: working on the duck boat question. [Re: wal1809] #5535068 01/11/15 07:27 PM
W
wal1809 Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
W
I got the binnacle back together and bolted in. I got the wiring figured out. Tilt trim key and choke are all working. It fjred up but would run for 3 seconds and quit. I drained and flushed the carbs. She fired right up and stays running. Now I am ready to build the blind part.

Guy it will br ready shortly after this season. I will ne teal hunting the coast next year. I may not hunt right out of it. Where I am thinking is too shallow. But there is a channel and I can get within 50 yards of that spot. 50 yard paddle in a layout aint too bad.

Re: working on the duck boat question. [Re: wal1809] #5536371 01/12/15 02:06 AM
Guy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Maybe Casa De Wano is like the mothership, and run sortie missions with sneak boats..

Re: working on the duck boat question. [Re: Guy] #5536505 01/12/15 02:58 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Guy
Maybe Casa De Wano is like the mothership, and run sortie missions with sneak boats..

Or sell tickets for tours to secret public spots. up

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: working on the duck boat question. [Re: wal1809] #5536642 01/12/15 03:44 AM
Dave Speer Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
I don't even know what a binnacle is. I figured it was autocorrect on the first post laugh

Re: working on the duck boat question. [Re: wal1809] #5536794 01/12/15 04:33 AM
B
b1c2r3r4 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Let's get some pictures of the build please. Trying to talk my wife into duck hunting and hoping this thread will help.

Re: working on the duck boat question. [Re: Guy] #5537090 01/12/15 01:36 PM
W
wal1809 Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: Guy

That is part of the plan.

Re: working on the duck boat question. [Re: Dave Speer] #5537106 01/12/15 01:47 PM
W
wal1809 Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: Dave Speer
I don't even know what a binnacle is. I figured it was autocorrect on the first post laugh

A binnacle is the forward/reverse/throttle lever. I don't know if you have ever or will ever take one down to nuts, bolts, screws and springs. Let it be known in the world of duck hunting, wal1809 advised against it. I have dabbled in it before but never like this. The guy literally handed me a split on the side Walmart bag and said "Here are the controls". I can't believe all the pieces and springs were there with the exception of 7 screws. I looked in the "Wano hoarder" box of stainless screws and found what I needed.

The rain and cold absolutely sucked to be out in it working. HAd I not set up one of those pop up canopies, I would not have been able to continue. I set a goal to get the binnacle back together and hooked up. I achieved that and a whole lot more. I was pleased to know I got power to the engine through the center console. Bummed when the engine would would not stay running. Wayyyy beyond pleased when I cleaned out the carbs and it began running. When I drained the carbs it was nothing but water and 2 stroke oil. The oil had the same viscosity as honey. I drained and then used the bulb to fill the bowl again and kept draining until all water and thick oil was out. Tonight I will clean the plugs as they have to be fouled up with firing on near 100% 2 stroke oil. That should make it run even more smooth.

Re: working on the duck boat question. [Re: wal1809] #5537132 01/12/15 02:00 PM
W
wal1809 Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
W

Re: working on the duck boat question. [Re: wal1809] #5537135 01/12/15 02:02 PM
W
wal1809 Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
W
I would post pics but there is nothing but a deck and a center console right now. As the blind goes up, I will be posting lots of pics.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide