Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: how do you cook your venison [Re: Stump_jumper] #5530716 01/09/15 09:23 PM
B
BurrOak Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: Stump_jumper
I never let red meat touch water in any form.

Why not?

Re: how do you cook your venison [Re: Ketchn] #5531049 01/09/15 11:39 PM
H
Hirogen Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
Tonight - Bacon wrapped backstrap:

Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
Re: how do you cook your venison [Re: Ketchn] #5531079 01/09/15 11:50 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
I cook my venison all sorts of ways, depends on the mood I'm in but chicken fried is my favorite. Bacon wrapped on the pit is my 2'nd favorite. I'm gonna pan sear a tenderloin for supper tonight.

Re: how do you cook your venison [Re: BurrOak] #5531455 01/10/15 02:28 AM
S
Stump_jumper Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: BurrOak
Originally Posted By: Stump_jumper
I never let red meat touch water in any form.

Why not?
pulls all the juices and flavor out and causes meat to dry out. That is why.

2017 Tundra 5.7 CM 4x4
2006 Champion 2200 Bay Boat
Re: how do you cook your venison [Re: Ketchn] #5531514 01/10/15 02:53 AM
P
Pittstate Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
I like to pound mine to tenderize and put blackening seasoning on it with just a little flour (to hold in the juices). I cook on high for 1 minute on each side and then one to two minutes on each side on low (depending on how thick). Perfect medium rare steak!

Duck & Goose are also great this way. Of course, you can always to the chicken fry, fajitas, smoked/pulled, stew, chili, gumbo, stir fry, etc. Once you get the wild game acquired taste, it is limitless. About 98% of the red meat I eat is wild game. Eat about 4 beef ribeyes or filets a year, the rest is wild game/fish or chicken breast.

Re: how do you cook your venison [Re: Ketchn] #5531542 01/10/15 03:02 AM
S
Simple Searcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
You guys have some good ideas that I am going to try.
We have done up back strap into a stir fry. We take about half of a backstrap, I prefer dry aged (like Gone to Texas recommended), or brine it for a few days. Cut it into strips with veggies and cook it up like it was steak. It is even better than steak.

Ketchn, On brine I have done just water with kosher salt and even added a bit of seasoning, do you do anything different?

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: how do you cook your venison [Re: Simple Searcher] #5531627 01/10/15 03:27 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
There is also something that I like to make that I call "Camp Food". You can use beef, pork, or backstrap but prefer fresh pork loin or venison backstrap when I'm at camp. It's easy. I put down a double layer of heavy foil a little bigger than a cookie sheet. Leave extra to fold over and seal. After I trim up my backstrap or pork loin I cube it up into bite sized pieces, add a little seasoning to it and make a layer of meat on the bottom of the foil. You can also add just a little olive oil if you like. Then I cube up golden potatoes and cover meat. Then chop onion, garlic, bell peppers and layer over the potatoes. I add a little bit of Worchestersire and some crispy bacon bits if I have them handy. Add a little seasoning of your choice, then depending on how much you are making add one or two big cans of Bush's baked beans (Original) on the top with some black pepper. Fold the foil up and seal it off well but leave a little room for juices to expand. You can start a fire in the pit and put it on before an evening hunt, or you can stick it in the oven with a cookie sheet or foil under it to catch drippings just in case. I normally cook it low & slow 225-275. I also like to add sliced serrano peppers but that depends on whether or not I am feeding little kids. Cooked low & slow with the veggie & bean juices this is a meal that I really like to eat. Now I'm hungry!

Re: how do you cook your venison [Re: skinnerback] #5531635 01/10/15 03:31 AM
S
Simple Searcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: skinnerback
There is also something that I like to make that I call "Camp Food". You can use beef, pork, or backstrap but prefer fresh pork loin or venison backstrap when I'm at camp. It's easy. I put down a double layer of heavy foil a little bigger than a cookie sheet. Leave extra to fold over and seal. After I trim up my backstrap or pork loin I cube it up into bite sized pieces, add a little seasoning to it and make a layer of meat on the bottom of the foil. You can also add just a little olive oil if you like. Then I cube up golden potatoes and cover meat. Then chop onion, garlic, bell peppers and layer over the potatoes. I add a little bit of Worchestersire and some crispy bacon bits if I have them handy. Add a little seasoning of your choice, then depending on how much you are making add one or two big cans of Bush's baked beans (Original) on the top with some black pepper. Fold the foil up and seal it off well but leave a little room for juices to expand. You can start a fire in the pit and put it on before an evening hunt, or you can stick it in the oven with a cookie sheet or foil under it to catch drippings just in case. I normally cook it low & slow 225-275. I also like to add sliced serrano peppers but that depends on whether or not I am feeding little kids. Cooked low & slow with the veggie & bean juices this is a meal that I really like to eat. Now I'm hungry!

up
We called this a "hobo dinner" when we were kids. We threw everything in a ball of foil and cooked it all together. Good stuff.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: how do you cook your venison [Re: Simple Searcher] #5531662 01/10/15 03:40 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
It is good stuff! Something about the sweet bean juice and veggie juices cooked into the meat...makes a light gravy while you're out hunting. food

Re: how do you cook your venison [Re: Simple Searcher] #5532128 01/10/15 01:55 PM
K
Ketchn Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
K
Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher
You guys have some good ideas that I am going to try.
We have done up back strap into a stir fry. We take about half of a backstrap, I prefer dry aged (like Gone to Texas recommended), or brine it for a few days. Cut it into strips with veggies and cook it up like it was steak. It is even better than steak.

Ketchn, On brine I have done just water with kosher salt and even added a bit of seasoning, do you do anything different?

I just toss table salt into the water brother ....not a heavy brine by any means up
most of you know meat tenderizer is mainly salt
sometimes I toss a bit of garlic powder in when I have had a few beers as well roflmao
and aging a piece of fresh venison about 10 days or so on refrigeration .....mmmmmm tender

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide