Re: Recent Game Warden Encounter [Re: KG68] #5500257 12/26/14 02:42 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: KG68
Originally Posted By: therancher
Cracks me up all the folks who think the GW is being nice because they're just good ol boys and girls and want to be your friend.

They are trained by the same folks who train our dps. They are taught to buddy up to you, shoot some bull, and get you to drop your defense.

The fact is they are not your friend. They are looking for violations in the most successful way they can, by making you feel comfortable shooting the chit.

Incredible that grown ups ain't got that figgered out.

So when your local GW spends the better part of a school day putting on outdoor programs for three different campuses showing films of wildlife adventures with exhibitions of gun safety and laws with demonstrations from local sheriff department LEO's, a local professional bowhunter marksman, and our county agent they are actually just buddying up and investigating the school system and the kids for possible past and future violators of our criminal and game laws. You know I never even thought of that way. eek2

I thought it was pretty obvious I was talking about GW checks.

Working with the schools is good PR, they didn't do that when I was a kid. But everything they do to get you to trust them has a primary and secondary purpose.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Recent Game Warden Encounter [Re: Brippley] #5500261 12/26/14 02:47 PM
D
Dave3575 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D

Re: Recent Game Warden Encounter [Re: Dave3575] #5500266 12/26/14 02:53 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: Dave3575

beat me to it.

Originally Posted By: cameron00
If I send my neighbors a text and ask them to give me feedback on my lawn and plant rye into a giant dong pattern, I'm probably going to get some less than positive feedback. Same goes here.
Re: Recent Game Warden Encounter [Re: Brippley] #5500267 12/26/14 02:54 PM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
They are all out to get ya. The number one reason they became a GW was to violate your rights or ruin a hunt, and they were trained by the DPS on how to be an arse. Hell, they are even mean to kids...and give em tickets for pointing a loaded gun at deer in a HF off the dadgum highway. Oh, the nerve.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Recent Game Warden Encounter [Re: therancher] #5500270 12/26/14 02:56 PM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: KG68
Cracks me up all the folks who think the GW is being nice because they're just good ol boys and girls and want to be your friend.

They are trained by the same folks who train our dps. They are taught to buddy up to you, shoot some bull, and get you to drop your defense.

The fact is they are not your friend. They are looking for violations in the most successful way they can, by making you feel comfortable shooting the chit.

Incredible that grown ups ain't got that figgered out.

So when your local GW spends the better part of a school day putting on outdoor programs for three different campuses showing films of wildlife adventures with exhibitions of gun safety and laws with demonstrations from local sheriff department LEO's, a local professional bowhunter marksman, and our county agent they are actually just buddying up and investigating the school system and the kids for possible past and future violators of our criminal and game laws. You know I never even thought of that way. eek2

I thought it was pretty obvious I was talking about GW checks.

Working with the schools is good PR, they didn't do that when I was a kid. But everything they do to get you to trust them has a primary and secondary purpose.

As usual...there IS one thing that is pretty obvious grin

Nice crawfishing right there cheers

Re: Recent Game Warden Encounter [Re: Brippley] #5500282 12/26/14 03:07 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
I wonder if feeding them a grilled steak with bake potato and an occasional golf trip works wonders with them too peep

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Recent Game Warden Encounter [Re: Brippley] #5500292 12/26/14 03:12 PM
D
Deerhunter61 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
There are Barney Fifes in every law enforcement organization and unfortunately I seem to always get him which also unfortunately skews my perspective on them. In addition there are some crooked ones as well which creates some issues for us but at the end of the day those are in the minority. I'm not a fan of State Troopers at all...in fact 90% of the ones that I've came into contact with seem to be Barney Fife's brother but that being said I know there is one nice one out there cuz when he had every right to issue me a ticket he didn't...

Re: Recent Game Warden Encounter [Re: stxranchman] #5500293 12/26/14 03:12 PM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
I wonder if feeding them a grilled steak with bake potato and an occasional golf trip works wonders with them too peep

It does....but you better ease into it. Otherwise it would be considered a bribe peep

You can invite them to Varmint hunt on your property too. Saw you had a few cats running around, maybe you should give yours a call up

Really, we are just friends having a good time, no other motive...

Re: Recent Game Warden Encounter [Re: Deerhunter61] #5500298 12/26/14 03:13 PM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: Deerhunter61
There are Barney Fifes in every law enforcement organization and unfortunately I seem to always get him which also unfortunately skews my perspective on them. In addition there are some crooked ones as well which creates some issues for us but at the end of the day those are in the minority. I'm not a fan of State Troopers at all...in fact 90% of the ones that I've came into contact with seem to be Barney Fife's brother but that being said I know there is one nice one out there cuz when he had every right to issue me a ticket he didn't...

How many times have you been written a ticket by a Barney Fife that you weren't doing anything wrong?

Re: Recent Game Warden Encounter [Re: Deerhunter61] #5500418 12/26/14 04:36 PM
B
BOONER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B

Could it be your attitude towards them that causes the problems? I know there are bad ones out there but I have yet to have an interaction with a DPS trooper that didn't turn out well.

Re: Recent Game Warden Encounter [Re: BOONER] #5500440 12/26/14 04:52 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: BOONER

Could it be your attitude towards them that causes the problems? I know there are bad ones out there but I have yet to have an interaction with a DPS trooper that didn't turn out well.

No, he likes the ones that let him go, go figure.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Recent Game Warden Encounter [Re: stxranchman] #5500448 12/26/14 04:59 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R

Prior to beef prices going up, catfish & hush puppies fresh from the grease was like a get out of jail free card...bolt

Re: Recent Game Warden Encounter [Re: Brippley] #5500465 12/26/14 05:10 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I don't think I have ever had a bad experience with a DPS trooper.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Recent Game Warden Encounter [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5500473 12/26/14 05:12 PM
D
Dustnsand Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
I don't think I have ever had a bad experience with a DPS trooper.

Me either, or a GW. Sheriff's on the other hand...

Re: Recent Game Warden Encounter [Re: Brippley] #5500496 12/26/14 05:25 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Most of my encounters have been on the lake or coast. Have managed to miss the wardens on bird hunts.

Re: Recent Game Warden Encounter [Re: rifleman] #5500518 12/26/14 05:36 PM
J
JRR Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
Originally Posted By: rifleman
Most of my encounters have been on the lake or coast. Have managed to miss the wardens on bird hunts.

same but I don't hunt on day leases either, I think they go to target rich environments, especially when I've been lobbying my legislature to drop their fuel allowance to $250 per month......

Re: Recent Game Warden Encounter [Re: stxranchman] #5500766 12/26/14 08:28 PM
S
SniperRAB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S

He isnt afraid to Heiney Smootch rofl

Re: Recent Game Warden Encounter [Re: SniperRAB] #5500900 12/26/14 10:07 PM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: SniperRAB

Offer beer...makes you look good and they won't take one grin

Re: Recent Game Warden Encounter [Re: txshntr] #5500946 12/26/14 10:39 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: txshntr

thats what nav does with the natty cuz he knows they wont take it even if its free

Last edited by jshouse; 12/26/14 10:39 PM.

Originally Posted By: cameron00
If I send my neighbors a text and ask them to give me feedback on my lawn and plant rye into a giant dong pattern, I'm probably going to get some less than positive feedback. Same goes here.
Re: Recent Game Warden Encounter [Re: Brippley] #5500954 12/26/14 10:49 PM
B
blackcoal Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Back in the 80's the game warden in Grayson County was disliked by everyone including himself. I can't remember his name, but even wardens in surrounding counties felt he made life hard on them. He was a big supporter of crows being a Federal Migratory bird.

The Greatest Enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge.--Stephen Hawking
Re: Recent Game Warden Encounter [Re: txshntr] #5501141 12/27/14 12:52 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Originally Posted By: txshntr

Them folks get off duty at some point....and will drink all your beer.

Re: Recent Game Warden Encounter [Re: Brippley] #5501419 12/27/14 03:43 AM
S
Stones1950 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
S
Over the last eight years, all of my experiences with GW's have been very positive except one time.

The one negative time involved a GW I'd never met before. It seemed he was on a mission to write a violation no matter what. He looked at everyone's licenses, rifles, shotguns, pistols and knives. Then, he went through all the trailers room by room, closets, refrigerators and even the bathrooms. Whenever he came across a backpack or suitcase, he told the owner to empty it out. Next, he started on all the hunting vehicles. After that, he went after the ice chests and coolers.

He was there a total of about an hour and a half.

Finding nothing, I could tell he was frustrated as he finally walked off to his truck without saying a word. All I could figure is that he may have gotten a report of something illegal going on before he came out.

It just seemed a little extreme to me. Never saw him again.

Other than that, all my encounters have been good or great.

One time, my brother and I were driving around in our ancient old top drive at the back of the ranch and it pooped out. No big deal but it was a pretty healthy four mile walk back to camp for two 60+ year old guys in 100 degree heat.

My brother had an idea of calling the GW as they have all of our blind locations on GPS. He called, and come to find out, they were about five minutes from the ranch. He gave them our location.

Two GW's we knew showed up in about twenty minutes, strapped a tow line on our truck and hauled us back to camp. We offered them lunch, beer and even a hunt for helping us. They wouldn't have any of it. Nice guys!

Forget 911. I will call the GW first if there is an accident since they know the layout of our ranch so much better than EMS.

I recommend getting to know the GW in your area. Most are pretty good people just trying to do their job. My experience is once they see you're good people, they will leave you alone.

Stones1950

Last edited by Stones1950; 12/27/14 03:49 AM.
Re: Recent Game Warden Encounter [Re: BOONER] #5501469 12/27/14 04:15 AM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: BOONER

Exactly.....people think it is weird that I shake a LEO's hand before and after an encounter. I see it as a sign of respect from one man to another. Hell I will shake their hand even if they give me a ticket, after all they are only doing their job. My dad used to tell me, it doesn't cost anything to be nice and polite. If you don't like their actions, take it up with the appropriate party, not throw a hissy fit at the time.

Re: Recent Game Warden Encounter [Re: Brippley] #5501485 12/27/14 04:27 AM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Despite whether any LEO was an azz or a righteous dude to me I have never had one do something I felt violated my rights or give me a ticket for something I didn't do. In fact I've had just the opposite experience. Most opportunities they have given me a warning or told me what needed to be done to correct the issue.

Do I wish they would catch the damn road hunters who shoot deer on our place from the road and only take the backstraps? Hell yes. Do I wish they wouldn't show up in the duck marsh at prime time just to do a check? Of course. But overall I would rather have them out there trying than not.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Recent Game Warden Encounter [Re: kry226] #5501555 12/27/14 05:11 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: kry226

Lots of folks to check, they don't have the luxury of waiting until the time is right for you!

Disagree. Unless a GW KNOWS or has a VERY reasonable suspicion that a law is being violated, he or she should NEVER ruin a person's hunt just to check a license.[/quote]

The possibility of being checked helps a lot of people remember to buy their license, in my day it was called self compliance enforcement. I guess today it could be called "whining enforcement". clap

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide