Forums46
Topics537,971
Posts9,731,237
Members87,052
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12
Re: Recent Game Warden Encounter [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5498913 12/25/14 02:19 PM
S
sprigsss Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
Maybe I'm weird and we can debate the legalities all day, but the idea of any LEO breaching a closed gate and skulking around my private property or being detained in my travels when I am not breaking any law just crosses a line for me. Period.

I am surprised so many on here seem perfectly fine with it.

If this happens routinely and the same warden keeps entering the same property over and over again, I would agree with you. What if you were the landowner and he was there checking the leases and protecting your investment. I'm going to bet now that he knows a home is there and not a hunting ranch, he won't be picking the lock every weekend to check up on them.

I like seeing game wardens on the property. If wardens are commonly seen in the area there's a good chance the outlaws won't be.

Re: Recent Game Warden Encounter [Re: sprigsss] #5498964 12/25/14 03:05 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: sprigsss
Maybe I'm weird and we can debate the legalities all day, but the idea of any LEO breaching a closed gate and skulking around my private property or being detained in my travels when I am not breaking any law just crosses a line for me. Period.

If this happens routinely and the same warden keeps entering the same property over and over again, I would agree with you. What if you were the landowner and he was there checking the leases and protecting your investment. I'm going to bet now that he knows a home is there and not a hunting ranch, he won't be picking the lock every weekend to check up on them.

I like seeing game wardens on the property. If wardens are commonly seen in the area there's a good chance the outlaws won't be.

Agree with both points, as hunters we know we have to meet certain guidelines and restrictions, that comes with the outdoor sport. The state is responsible to regulate, enforce, control and secure those sports. They do need some latitude to do this and it is a fine line, but we except it when we take to the field. No doubt some will go over what the law intended, some may even knowingly abuse that power and those are the ones who should be called to the carpet.

Being the state is near all private, they will be on "your land" if need be.

I would bet that a hunting license falls under the same ideology as a drivers license, not a right, but a privilege granted by the state, which comes with rules and regs you must accept.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Recent Game Warden Encounter [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5499040 12/25/14 04:01 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: therancher

Man. Would you mind explaining the blatant conflict of you being so righteous about personal property rights here, and so blatantly anti property rights by wanting to control how high my fences are??

Merry Christmas.

And merry Christmas to you.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Recent Game Warden Encounter [Re: therancher] #5499051 12/25/14 04:10 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J

Man. Would you mind explaining the blatant conflict of you being so righteous about personal property rights here, and so blatantly anti property rights by wanting to control how high my fences are??

Merry Christmas.

And merry Christmas to you.

i know its the holiday season and all, i get it, but we cant have this, boo on these last two posts. just boo.

Originally Posted By: cameron00
If I send my neighbors a text and ask them to give me feedback on my lawn and plant rye into a giant dong pattern, I'm probably going to get some less than positive feedback. Same goes here.
Re: Recent Game Warden Encounter [Re: Brippley] #5499159 12/25/14 05:24 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
LOL you like fussin', do you? smile

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Recent Game Warden Encounter [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5499196 12/25/14 05:51 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J

i enjoy all the differing views on these topics but there are a few showdowns that i really look forward to:

NP v. rancher
NP v. Bobo
Bobo v. Dan
rancher v. TX
TX v. STX
STX v. RM
STX v. Bobo

and i'm sure i am missing a few....

Originally Posted By: cameron00
If I send my neighbors a text and ask them to give me feedback on my lawn and plant rye into a giant dong pattern, I'm probably going to get some less than positive feedback. Same goes here.
Re: Recent Game Warden Encounter [Re: Brippley] #5499223 12/25/14 06:04 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Well, just hang on. Like the old German shepherd dog told Richard Pryor, " Hey Rich, you know I'm goin' to be chasin' you again tomorrow?" smile

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Recent Game Warden Encounter [Re: Brippley] #5499243 12/25/14 06:17 PM
C
changedmyname Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Whew, I didn't make the list.

Re: Recent Game Warden Encounter [Re: jshouse] #5499325 12/25/14 07:32 PM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
Originally Posted By: jshouse

i enjoy all the differing views on these topics but there are a few showdowns that i really look forward to:

NP v. rancher
NP v. Bobo
Bobo v. Dan
rancher v. TX
TX v. STX
STX v. RM
STX v. Bobo

Hours of entertainment. cheers

But I like the discussions too. I just hate it when folks start taking things too seriously and get butthurt because another person has a different opinion. We're all on the same team. smile

Merry Christmas!

[Linked Image]
Re: Recent Game Warden Encounter [Re: Brippley] #5499830 12/26/14 02:42 AM
T
TRIJI....WHAT Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
I have met about 6 different GW in my lifetime. Only one was a little upset over having to stop and check us out in a dove field. Just seemed he was having a bad day. Coryell county GW, Colt Gaulden, is a good one. Talk to him at least once every couple months just to see what is going on and very professional....... He lets me know if anything is going on in the county and what he is having to spend his time on mostly during that month.

Shhhhhhhh better to be quiet than remove all doubt..
Re: Recent Game Warden Encounter [Re: kry226] #5499867 12/26/14 03:05 AM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: kry226
Originally Posted By: jshouse

NP v. rancher
NP v. Bobo
Bobo v. Dan
rancher v. TX
TX v. STX
STX v. RM
STX v. Bobo

on the same team as long as we don't start running down the folks who protect us every day -

Hours of entertainment. cheers

But I like the discussions too. I just hate it when folks start taking things too seriously and get butthurt because another person has a different opinion. We're all on the same team. smile

Merry Christmas!

on the same team as long as we don't start running down the folks who protect us everyday

Last edited by tlk; 12/26/14 03:05 AM.

You can't fix stupid
Re: Recent Game Warden Encounter [Re: tlk] #5499900 12/26/14 03:25 AM
K
KG68 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
If anyone gets tore up to bad I'll send you some.

Last edited by KG68; 12/26/14 03:26 AM.
Re: Recent Game Warden Encounter [Re: Brippley] #5499951 12/26/14 03:53 AM
E
Erny Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
E
I have had way more negative than positive encounters with them in Texas. I always feel that Texas Wardens treat me as if I am a criminal and guilty of something even when I am completely legal. There is just a general distrust of the public on there behalf. Oddly my many encounters with New Mexico wardens has been 100% positive. We actually look Foward to our encounters with the New Mexico wardens because they really give you some great tips on areas to hunt. More importantly they treat you with respect and courtesy. Something that seems to be lacking in Texas GW.

Re: Recent Game Warden Encounter [Re: changedmyname] #5499974 12/26/14 04:24 AM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: iliketohunt
Whew, I didn't make the list.

My thought too.

I love a good debate, even if everyone else is wrong and don't agree with me.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Recent Game Warden Encounter [Re: Erny] #5499989 12/26/14 04:36 AM
K
KG68 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
I hate to hear that Erny. Everytime I meet our GW on a dirt road we stop and shoot the bull for sometimes close to an hour. We exchanged cell numbers when he first came here a few years ago and we talk almost monthly. He has a key to our locks and has been encouraged to look around when he comes our way. To bad we can't all have a GW like we have.

Re: Recent Game Warden Encounter [Re: sprigsss] #5500015 12/26/14 04:55 AM
B
BOONER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
If game wardens were restricted as much as some of you would like, it would be almost impossible to ticket hunters for hunting without a license, for using lead shot on ducks, etc.

As long as you shoot during legal shooting hours and never shoot over your limit, he would never be able to check you.

The only times I've really be irritated by a game warden was in Louisiana when they drove up to our blind about 30 mins after shooting hours to check shotguns, our birds, and our licenses. We had waited all year for opening weekend and now he is checking us during the best 30 minutes of the season. That encounter didn't sit right with me. Although the guys were super friendly.

There was that one time I was fishing in my dad's skiff when I was about 14 or 15 years old and a game warden came hauling tail around a blind curve and almost hit me. He had a younger guy with him that was probably in as much shock as I was. He proceeded to check every hatch, box, tackle box, ice chest in the boat, and appeared to be disappointed I had nothing. I just chalked that up to him having a bad day.

EVERY other encounter I've ever had with a Warden has always been friendly and informative.

Lots of folks to check, they don't have the luxury of waiting until the time is right for you!

Re: Recent Game Warden Encounter [Re: BOONER] #5500090 12/26/14 07:15 AM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Cracks me up all the folks who think the GW is being nice because they're just good ol boys and girls and want to be your friend.

They are trained by the same folks who train our dps. They are taught to buddy up to you, shoot some bull, and get you to drop your defense.

The fact is they are not your friend. They are looking for violations in the most successful way they can, by making you feel comfortable shooting the chit.

Incredible that grown ups ain't got that figgered out.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Recent Game Warden Encounter [Re: Brippley] #5500116 12/26/14 12:00 PM
D
Dave Davidson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
As I understand it, the GW's job is to protect the wildlife resource and the public. I've PERSONALLY never had a bad encounter but haven't had that many encounters of any kind. I no longer want encounters of any kind.

Unfortunately, I've talked to guys that I know who got ticketed over simple mistakes. One 14 year old that I know got ticketed for an incompletely or erroneously filled out tag. That wasn't necessary and had to leave a bad impression about LEO's in general.

I also know a young guy who got ticketed for viewing deer with a loaded rifle. The kid, 19 at the time, quit hunting for the day and was driving home. On the way, he passed by a high fence operation and saw some monster bucks. He looked at them through his rifle scope. He went to court and the GW admitted that he knew the kid wasn't going to shoot but had violated the letter of the law. The JP, as usual, agreed with the GW and the Kid paid a hefty fine.

In both cases these kids learned 2 things. First is to always obey the letter of the law, the 2nd lesson wasn't all that positive about the law in general and GW's in particular.

Only a very naive person would believe that any law is equally enforced.

Sadly, it appears that that all of the legal system is now revenue oriented.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Recent Game Warden Encounter [Re: Brippley] #5500121 12/26/14 12:09 PM
J
JRR Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
I somewhat agree with Rancher and fully agree with Dave. Couple young guys that could have been helped out with some simple correction and left with a positive impression of the GW. I was gonna call a GW in Kansas about a deer being shot with a rifle during bow but my buddies, all legal, said no way then he'll be hanging around hassling us the whole time we're here. I for one don't want the GW, or Sheriff for that matter, "popping" by my place to "visit", I have friends for that, I hunt it regular but I live there too as do wife and kids.

Re: Recent Game Warden Encounter [Re: BOONER] #5500152 12/26/14 01:09 PM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
Originally Posted By: BOONER
If game wardens were restricted as much as some of you would like, it would be almost impossible to ticket hunters for hunting without a license, for using lead shot on ducks, etc.

As long as you shoot during legal shooting hours and never shoot over your limit, he would never be able to check you.

The only times I've really be irritated by a game warden was in Louisiana when they drove up to our blind about 30 mins after shooting hours to check shotguns, our birds, and our licenses. We had waited all year for opening weekend and now he is checking us during the best 30 minutes of the season. That encounter didn't sit right with me. Although the guys were super friendly.

There was that one time I was fishing in my dad's skiff when I was about 14 or 15 years old and a game warden came hauling tail around a blind curve and almost hit me. He had a younger guy with him that was probably in as much shock as I was. He proceeded to check every hatch, box, tackle box, ice chest in the boat, and appeared to be disappointed I had nothing. I just chalked that up to him having a bad day.

EVERY other encounter I've ever had with a Warden has always been friendly and informative.

Lots of folks to check, they don't have the luxury of waiting until the time is right for you!

Disagree. Unless a GW KNOWS or has a VERY reasonable suspicion that a law is being violated, he or she should NEVER ruin a person's hunt just to check a license.

[Linked Image]
Re: Recent Game Warden Encounter [Re: Brippley] #5500160 12/26/14 01:19 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Quote:
Disagree. Unless a GW KNOWS or has a VERY reasonable suspicion that a law is being violated, he or she should NEVER ruin a person's hunt just to check a license.

Then become a game warden.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Recent Game Warden Encounter [Re: Double Naught Spy] #5500177 12/26/14 01:37 PM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
Quote:

Then become a game warden.

confused2

[Linked Image]
Re: Recent Game Warden Encounter [Re: Brippley] #5500181 12/26/14 01:40 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
No problem with license checks at all.

Now, during the first 30 minutes of an opening day hunt as someone mentioned? Problem.
Perfectly legal-but perfectly rude and unnecessary too.

Re: Recent Game Warden Encounter [Re: therancher] #5500208 12/26/14 02:08 PM
K
KG68 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Cracks me up all the folks who think the GW is being nice because they're just good ol boys and girls and want to be your friend.

They are trained by the same folks who train our dps. They are taught to buddy up to you, shoot some bull, and get you to drop your defense.

The fact is they are not your friend. They are looking for violations in the most successful way they can, by making you feel comfortable shooting the chit.

Incredible that grown ups ain't got that figgered out.

So when your local GW spends the better part of a school day putting on outdoor programs for three different campuses showing films of wildlife adventures with exhibitions of gun safety and laws with demonstrations from local sheriff department LEO's, a local professional bowhunter marksman, and our county agent they are actually just buddying up and investigating the school system and the kids for possible past and future violators of our criminal and game laws. You know I never even thought of that way. eek2

Re: Recent Game Warden Encounter [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5500231 12/26/14 02:25 PM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
No problem with license checks at all.

Now, during the first 30 minutes of an opening day hunt as someone mentioned? Problem.
Perfectly legal-but perfectly rude and unnecessary too.

Exactly my point. Jacking with prime time is absolutely unnecessary, unless again, a law is being violated. For example, the GW can see a hunter not wearing the required hunter orange on public land, or carrying a rifle instead of a bow in bow only areas, etc.

[Linked Image]
Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide