Page 1 of 2 1 2
First coastal hunt...success!! Surf & turf #5445368 11/27/14 04:35 AM
F
Fishuhalik Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
F
Finally got a full day off & got out. Picked a spot that looked good on my Navionics map & started walking. It was almost a mile out but it was only thigh-deep at most with a nice sandy bottom. Saw more birds than I thought I would. Mostly pins. Whiffed on a flock of reds. Here was my take for the day.

Hooked up with a local buddy that had been fishing earlier & he took me gigging for drum. Man was that a ball!! Here was our total for the day, plus the fish he caught. I only got 1 & had 1 shake my spear.

I just moved down to Texas this year & I think I'm loving it!! It was 8 degrees back home yesterday & buddies were posting ice fishing pics. They can have it!!

Cigarettes are like hamsters. Perfectly harmless til you put it in your mouth & light it on fire
Re: First coastal hunt...success!! Surf & turf [Re: Fishuhalik] #5445954 11/27/14 04:50 PM
Nathan Nelson Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Good time there!!!

Re: First coastal hunt...success!! Surf & turf [Re: Fishuhalik] #5445963 11/27/14 04:55 PM
Cody Malone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Congrats

HF Whitetail / Exotic / S. African Safaris

Proudly Sponsored by:
Horizon Firearms / Swarovski Optiks / Under Armour / Yeti Coolers / Costa Del Mar / Havalon Knives

Malone Outdoors, LLC
C/254-722-9031 or E/ maloneoutdoors@yahoo.com
Re: First coastal hunt...success!! Surf & turf [Re: Fishuhalik] #5446466 11/28/14 12:07 AM
T
Txcatman1 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Soooo you just walked out and hunted someone else's blind that they built?

Texas fur and skull buyer
Greg Novak
Gnovakswa@gmail.com
361-793-6706
Re: First coastal hunt...success!! Surf & turf [Re: Txcatman1] #5446487 11/28/14 12:15 AM
E
Erichugh22 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
Originally Posted By: Txcatman1
Soooo you just walked out and hunted someone else's blind that they built?

public water - public blind. Perfectly fine

Re: First coastal hunt...success!! Surf & turf [Re: Fishuhalik] #5446516 11/28/14 12:31 AM
T
Txcatman1 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
That's the problem with "duck hunters" today. No respect, If I'm gonna go walk out and hunt public somewhere I'm gonna sit in the grass not in someone's blind that they paid for material and time to build. Respect other peoples hard work. Go build your own blind If you wanna hunt a box, don't sit in someone else's built blind. Didn't say it was illegal, I said it's unethical and unsportsmanlike, prob would of had a better hunt anyway away from the blind. That Kinda stuff don't go over too well down here

Greg Novak
Gnovakswa@gmail.com
361-793-6706
Re: First coastal hunt...success!! Surf & turf [Re: Fishuhalik] #5446539 11/28/14 12:43 AM
F
FowledUp Offline
Tracker
Tracker
F
If you have a problem with folks hunting a blind you built on public land, then dont build a blind on public. Nothing unethical or unsportsman at all about it.

Re: First coastal hunt...success!! Surf & turf [Re: Fishuhalik] #5446552 11/28/14 12:50 AM
B
brock2013 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
If you don't want people to hunt in your blind on public land, then don't build it. If there is a blind it is open to whoever gets there first. I don't see it as unsportsmanlike like or disrespectful. If you want to hunt it just wake up early and get there first

Re: First coastal hunt...success!! Surf & turf [Re: Txcatman1] #5446579 11/28/14 01:06 AM
E
Erichugh22 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
That's the problem with "duck hunters" today. No respect, If I'm gonna go walk out and hunt public somewhere I'm gonna sit in the grass not in someone's blind that they paid for material and time to build. Respect other peoples hard work. Go build your own blind If you wanna hunt a box, don't sit in someone else's built blind. Didn't say it was illegal, I said it's unethical and unsportsmanlike, prob would of had a better hunt anyway away from the blind. That Kinda stuff don't go over too well down here

No you're the problem with duck hunters today, thinking you can own a spot on PUBLIC land. Why should you get to claim a spot all to your own?

Re: First coastal hunt...success!! Surf & turf [Re: Fishuhalik] #5446583 11/28/14 01:09 AM
F
Fishuhalik Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
F
I hate to stir the pot since i'm new to this site & this awesone state, but you're right, sportsmen do lack ethics. The fact that people think they can put some poles in the sand, put some chicken wire & palm leaves on it & claim that as their personal property is extremely unethical. I have at least 3 dozen deer stands built on public land back home. Up there, the unspoken rule is if you sit in someone else's stand, it's common courtesy to move on if they come to sit in it. Some guys are good about it, some aren't. If they're being dbags, I'll just return the next day & tear the stand down. Had the builders of this blind come along, I would have asked if they wanted to hunt with me & if they said no, I woulda moved on. I see absolutely nothing unethical or unsportsmanlike about that at all

Cigarettes are like hamsters. Perfectly harmless til you put it in your mouth & light it on fire
Re: First coastal hunt...success!! Surf & turf [Re: Fishuhalik] #5446586 11/28/14 01:11 AM
E
Erichugh22 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
That's the biggest problem with the coast. People build a blind and think they own the entire shoreline or cove that it sits in. That's great if you build a blind but if you want to hunt your spot you better wake up earlier than me, if there's birds there then I'm hunting there. I've got into good arguments with guides on the coast, not even hunting their blinds just hunting close to them. They shoe up 30 minutes before legal throwing a cry baby fit that I'm in their spot. Sorry bud, public land is public land.

Re: First coastal hunt...success!! Surf & turf [Re: Fishuhalik] #5446589 11/28/14 01:12 AM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Doesn't anything built on public land or water, like a duck blind or crappie brush pile, become public property, free to whomever arrives first?

To be determined
Re: First coastal hunt...success!! Surf & turf [Re: Fishuhalik] #5446594 11/28/14 01:15 AM
F
Fishuhalik Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
F
Not to mention, what difference does it make if I did hunt their blind? I picked up some trash that had washed into it, picked up all my hulls, filled in some holes in the blind material & left the blind in better shape than it had been in when I got there. It's different deer hunting since you're usually hunting a specific deer or two and killing a deer can ruin that stand. Pretty sure there's more than a few ducks in that part of the ocean

Re: First coastal hunt...success!! Surf & turf [Re: Fishuhalik] #5446616 11/28/14 01:29 AM
T
Txcatman1 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
lol your all goobers, I haven't wasted my time shooting at garbage divers in over 3 years, burned out, For the record I've never built a box blind and never will, for you weekend warrior duck hunters that think it's ok to say hey who cares who built that let's just get there first an go shoot some redheads are the product of what this sport has evolved into. I learned my lesson wen I was real young to respect others hard work. To all of you who say it's public first come first serve, do you have 2 or 3 boxes out there built for everyone else to hunt too when you go sit in there blinds

Greg Novak
Gnovakswa@gmail.com
361-793-6706
Re: First coastal hunt...success!! Surf & turf [Re: Fishuhalik] #5446628 11/28/14 01:35 AM
T
Txcatman1 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
I'm not saying there's anything illegal about it but there is an unwritten code among duck hunters that you should respect. And I know all of you who say it's first come first serve don't have blinds built because you would feel the same. I don't mooch off the work of others, I earn my success through my own scouting and work ethic, you wanna hunt someone's spot that scouted that area before you, realized it was a good spot and built a blind, that's just not right in my opinion.

Greg Novak
Gnovakswa@gmail.com
361-793-6706
Re: First coastal hunt...success!! Surf & turf [Re: Txcatman1] #5446642 11/28/14 01:46 AM
E
Erichugh22 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
I'm not saying there's anything illegal about it but there is an unwritten code among duck hunters that you should respect. And I know all of you who say it's first come first serve don't have blinds built because you would feel the same. I don't mooch off the work of others, I earn my success through my own scouting and work ethic, you wanna hunt someone's spot that scouted that area before you, realized it was a good spot and built a blind, that's just not right in my opinion.

So how is it fair that my favorite spot on the coast for 4 years, a small back bay, gets a blind built right in the spot I've been hunting. Why should that guy get to claim a spot I have been hunting for years. I don't hunt a spot just because there's a blind built there, I hunt a spot because it has birds. I spend a lot of hours paddling my kayak on the coast scouting. People think when they build a blind the entire area is theirs alone and that's what I don't like. I got yelled at by the guide for hunting in that little back bay because according to him that was his spot because he built the blind. Again I was hunting by his blind not in it. That's what's not right. It doesn't work like that. If you want a spot to yourself you need to find somewhere private to hunt or get up earlier.

Re: First coastal hunt...success!! Surf & turf [Re: Fishuhalik] #5446652 11/28/14 01:53 AM
F
Fishuhalik Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
F
To answer your question, yes, I do plan to build some blinds this spring & summer. I'm gonna ask you again though, what is the problem with me hunting a blind if I move out or ask him to join me if the guy comes to hunt it? I obviously haven't spent much time down there, but I've hunted a lot in the Midwest, & I'm guessing its the same here. I'm guessing you come from an older generation of hunters. A generation that had considerably less people in the field. It usually gets to the point that almost every decent spot gets a blind put on it. Then what? Am I just sol?

Re: First coastal hunt...success!! Surf & turf [Re: Fishuhalik] #5446659 11/28/14 02:00 AM
T
Txcatman1 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Should have built a blind there first I guess, I don't know what to tell you, this is why I gave up salt water years ago,bout the same reason why I've almost given up duck hunting, too many yahoo cowboys out there trying to be duck dynasty shoot em up duck hunters, I've hunted ducks for about 20 years, used to work all year with out vacations in the oil field and then take off from November to February and do nothin but hunt ducks every day, all public, I hunted every single day of the season for over 4 years, slowly watched each really good spot over the years get more and more more pressure and people blasting all over the internet where they hunt and watch each spot get destroyed, it's not fun to me anymore, I guided duck trips for many outfitters during those years and I know all about the first come first serve stuff trust me, I don't care if you set up 20 yards from the box and hunt it that's fine to me. I've had guys sittin in the brush with there spread 40 yards away from our boxes at 3am and they respected the blind and had the common sense not to sit in the blind, I said good luck boys whack em, on many occasions but it's different if you are in the blind. You understand now, I don't care about where any hunts and you can hunt any one else's blinds for all I care but I just think that is disrespecting the hunters that built the blind, you want to have the comfort of a bench and dry spot then go build one yourself, don't sit in someone else's. Put your azz in the grass and respect other peoples stuff

Greg Novak
Gnovakswa@gmail.com
361-793-6706
Re: First coastal hunt...success!! Surf & turf [Re: Fishuhalik] #5446663 11/28/14 02:06 AM
T
Txcatman1 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Fishuhalik
To answer your question, yes, I do plan to build some blinds this spring & summer. I'm gonna ask you again though, what is the problem with me hunting a blind if I move out or ask him to join me if the guy comes to hunt it? I obviously haven't spent much time down there, but I've hunted a lot in the Midwest, & I'm guessing its the same here. I'm guessing you come from an older generation of hunters. A generation that had considerably less people in the field. It usually gets to the point that almost every decent spot gets a blind put on it. Then what? Am I just sol?

No fish it's all good man I just wouldn't put myself in that position to have to apologize to someone for sitting in their blind that's all, I would be in the grass to the side of it, they don't own the water but I would say hey I'm not in your blind man I'm just huntin the island. Fair enough, just that little bit of respect I learned growing up on the water and being surrounded by guides and old timers I guess, was taught as a very young man not to sit in another mans duck blind and I guess it stuck with me that's all

Greg Novak
Gnovakswa@gmail.com
361-793-6706
Re: First coastal hunt...success!! Surf & turf [Re: Fishuhalik] #5446679 11/28/14 02:25 AM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Maybe they could segment public lands into small portions and allow people or groups of people to bid on them for duck hunting exclusivity. That would reduce any misunderstandings or conflict.

To be determined
Re: First coastal hunt...success!! Surf & turf [Re: Fishuhalik] #5446694 11/28/14 02:33 AM
F
Fishuhalik Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
F
Ain't nothing wrong with that attitude at all. I think a lot of people could use more of that attitude of respect & less of the "it's public so I'll do whatever I want" mindset. If it makes you feel any better, this was barely a blind. No bench, had to kneel in the sand. It was literally 4 poles, some planks to nail chicken wire onto & some palm leaves. I doubt it took an hour to put in. IMHO though, these kinda blinds are the best & it's similar to what I'll be building. Those big, gaudy blinds stick out like a sore thumb & those birds learn to avoid em. This one had a 5' embankment right behind it so when I was looking at it while throwing out dekes, it didn't break the silhouette of the island at all. Whoever built it knows ducks & knows that sometime the K.I.S.S. method is gonna put more birds in the bag

Re: First coastal hunt...success!! Surf & turf [Re: Fishuhalik] #5446709 11/28/14 02:51 AM
T
Txcatman1 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
I could tell that somewhat by the pic fish, and I agree with you, a palm frond or two is all you need, good luck to you

Greg Novak
Gnovakswa@gmail.com
361-793-6706
Re: First coastal hunt...success!! Surf & turf [Re: TurkeyHunter] #5488359 12/20/14 01:33 AM
H
Hopedale Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted By: TurkeyHunter
Maybe they could segment public lands into small portions and allow people or groups of people to bid on them for duck hunting exclusivity. That would reduce any misunderstandings or conflict.

How about no permanent blinds in public waters?

Sort of solve the problem across the board, and probably why there not allowed on WMAs.

Last edited by Hopedale; 12/20/14 01:34 AM.

[Linked Image]
Re: First coastal hunt...success!! Surf & turf [Re: Txcatman1] #5488461 12/20/14 02:38 AM
T
the legend Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
I wish they had a blind clean up day. Like crab trap clean up. 2 weeks after season, bring you're chainsaws. It's sad the # of blinds you see, they will b there till they rot. I don't like to hunt blinds and can't stand not hunting a spot because some jack leg decided to build a bed n breakfast on the bay. Just pray some kids don't die hitting one of them that they build in open water in the dark. It worked pretty good w the crab traps, don't see nearly as many. Mabey they will get tired of building them if they are tore down every yr.

Last edited by the legend; 12/20/14 02:39 AM.
Re: First coastal hunt...success!! Surf & turf [Re: the legend] #5489179 12/20/14 04:51 PM
F
Fishuhalik Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
F
Originally Posted By: the legend
I wish they had a blind clean up day. Like crab trap clean up. 2 weeks after season, bring you're chainsaws. It's sad the # of blinds you see, they will b there till they rot. I don't like to hunt blinds and can't stand not hunting a spot because some jack leg decided to build a bed n breakfast on the bay. Just pray some kids don't die hitting one of them that they build in open water in the dark. It worked pretty good w the crab traps, don't see nearly as many. Mabey they will get tired of building them if they are tore down every yr.

As nice as it is to have a blind to sit in, I think this is an awesome idea. It's downright treacherous out there right now. I've already got a blueprint made for my boat blind that I'm gonna make before next season. I think a boat blind that can be moved every day so you can follow their flight paths is a better option anyways.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide