Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
economy and hunting #5486675 12/19/14 02:39 AM
7mag Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Oil is plunging downward. Good or bad for Texas hunting?

[Linked Image]
"Laugh with many, but don't trust any"
Re: economy and hunting [Re: 7mag] #5486681 12/19/14 02:42 AM
K
kyle1974 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
I think it would take several years to actually see any change to leases prices. I do think ranches that are doing package hunts will lose business. In south texas, a HUGE portion of those hunts are being bought up by the oilfield.

Re: economy and hunting [Re: 7mag] #5486695 12/19/14 02:49 AM
S
Simple Searcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
I guess that depends if you are the lessee or the lessor.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: economy and hunting [Re: 7mag] #5486732 12/19/14 03:03 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
In the 80's when oil money plunged downward I thought lease would go down. Wrong they went up the next few years even higher. They are even higher today by a whole lot than back then. A large lease was around $3/acre in the early 80's. They went to $6/acre in the next few years. Look at what a good lease cost per acre today in comparison. There are less and less leases available so they will stay up as long as the demand is there. Large ranches being broke up and sold have taken a lot of lease land out of the mix in the past 20 yrs. Those smaller places are all hunted by the new landowners now.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: economy and hunting [Re: 7mag] #5486735 12/19/14 03:04 AM
J
jetdad Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
It will take a lot of the corporate leases and package hunts out first. Land prices will be affected depending on how long the price stays really low and how much future drilling is curtailed. Just like it (lease and land costs)went up, it will come down. How big of adjustment is anybody's guess at this point. It's the nature of the beast. If you don't have a lease it will most likely be easier to find one next year. When there is not as much money on the street, recreational land cost per acre will adjust.

Re: economy and hunting [Re: 7mag] #5486750 12/19/14 03:07 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
The big boys won't feel the pinch like the new guy that didn't know the bottom of the barrel was coming to haunt them. A bunch of the employees will be wishing they had back their lease money and the money they spent on toys when their other bills come due. Others that were not in the oil field will pick up most of the slack. Some leases will be turned back, but there is always someone wanting a new place. Some of these "ranches" that were bought with future earnings also will become available. Those will be harder to peddle, but land is a good investment so they will eventually sell.

The experienced people will bend like a willow tree with the wind, the inexperienced will snap like dry twig. Probably going to be some bargains out there, nice pickups, a few weapons and hunting gear will be for sale after the big paychecks slow down.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: economy and hunting [Re: 7mag] #5486925 12/19/14 04:36 AM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
scratch Good economy hunting tis bad flag

i'm postaddic
Re: economy and hunting [Re: Simple Searcher] #5486942 12/19/14 04:48 AM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher
. as a lessee, credit adviser said leasing bad investment. back then it was less than $1.00 a day & hogs 24-7-365 its always the little guy that gets hurt. seen many put time & money & loose it all to bigger bucks. 2cents worth. As pappy once said: more money ya have the more Freedom ya have best wishes flag

i'm postaddic
Re: economy and hunting [Re: 7mag] #5487145 12/19/14 01:31 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Agree with STX and DC. It is my understanding that although many of the folks are Texans working in O&G, a huge amount of them are from out of state? Don't know how true that is, heard it here on THF and several times on the news, but I bet most of the out of staters turn tail and head home.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: economy and hunting [Re: 1860.colt] #5487538 12/19/14 04:59 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: colt.45
. as a lessee, credit adviser said leasing bad investment. back then it was less than $1.00 a day & hogs 24-7-365 its always the little guy that gets hurt. seen many put time & money & loose it all to bigger bucks. 2cents worth. As pappy once said: more money ya have the more Freedom ya have best wishes flag

Why do you keep bringing up your credit advisor?

Do you run it by him when you buy a snickers? How about a movie at the red box?

I don't think leases have been less than $1.00 a day since Lincoln was in office

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: economy and hunting [Re: 7mag] #5487645 12/19/14 05:50 PM
Curtis Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I raise my own animals for the most part so it won't effect me either way. I sell them based on what I see general market value is that year and a large part of my business is not oil field related. I receive about six hunts a year out of about 47 this year that were oil field related. I still have a few oil field contacts and from what I have been told a lot of them have moved away from our area for now.

The oil field market drove up the price of exotics. to a level I never thought I would ever see. So many new people got into the industry and buying stuff at some ridiculous prices. The livesale of fallow bucks was just insane. That made part of my reason to go into whitetails and get out of stocking fallow bucks. If I'm going to pay $2500 for a small gold medal(not even a top 10 quality) fallow that used to cost me $800, then I'm going to buy whitetails that have a much higher end value and far easier to get. At the most I may be able to hunt that fallow for $3000 with just time spent on advertising. Any higher than that and the cost and risk to get the hunt sold is just too much for me. The top end value on whitetails has always been higher but I didn't have to spend so much on exotics as we do today. I have had no trouble finding good whitetails cheaper than the current fallow prices.

Double Arrow Bow Hunting
www.doublearrowbowhunting.com
Bow hunters welcome!
Whitetail-Axis-Blackbuck-Fallow-Barasingha-Scimitar Oryx
Located in Gonzales County.
Visit our Facebook page for current updates!

Re: economy and hunting [Re: txtrophy85] #5487794 12/19/14 07:05 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85

I don't think leases have been less than $1.00 a day since Lincoln was in office

fogive me if it offended U sir. twas not reason i posted it. believe my post tis more true than yours. stayed on lease till it sold. as pappy says: person with open mind has a wider point of view best wishes flag

i'm postaddic
Re: economy and hunting [Re: Curtis] #5487997 12/19/14 08:57 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Curtis
I raise my own animals for the most part so it won't effect me either way. I sell them based on what I see general market value is that year and a large part of my business is not oil field related. I receive about six hunts a year out of about 47 this year that were oil field related. I still have a few oil field contacts and from what I have been told a lot of them have moved away from our area for now.

The oil field market drove up the price of exotics. to a level I never thought I would ever see. So many new people got into the industry and buying stuff at some ridiculous prices. The livesale of fallow bucks was just insane. That made part of my reason to go into whitetails and get out of stocking fallow bucks. If I'm going to pay $2500 for a small gold medal(not even a top 10 quality) fallow that used to cost me $800, then I'm going to buy whitetails that have a much higher end value and far easier to get. At the most I may be able to hunt that fallow for $3000 with just time spent on advertising. Any higher than that and the cost and risk to get the hunt sold is just too much for me. The top end value on whitetails has always been higher but I didn't have to spend so much on exotics as we do today. I have had no trouble finding good whitetails cheaper than the current fallow prices.

Man aint that the truth

When I first started guiding you almost couldn't give the fallow bucks away now everyone wants one and the prices are insane

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: economy and hunting [Re: txtrophy85] #5488203 12/19/14 11:42 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45

Man aint that the truth

When I first started guiding you almost couldn't give the fallow bucks away now everyone wants one and the prices are insane

supply & demand flag

i'm postaddic
Re: economy and hunting [Re: 7mag] #5488994 12/20/14 03:02 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Thank goodness we don't live in north Dakota. up texas

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: economy and hunting [Re: 7mag] #5489236 12/20/14 05:34 PM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Actual fuel costs for most hunters who only go a few times a year are pretty inconsequential to the amount of direct and indirect costs experiences for vehicle wear and tear, food, lodging, hunting supplies, hunting gear, lease/hunt fees, processor fees, mount fees, etc. However, hunters are like everyone else and tend to respond emotionally to such sentiments. They will likely hunt more (just like other folks are more apt to go on vacation when fuel prices are low) despite the fact that the cost difference in actual fuel isn't really a true factor. So in this respect, we should see more folks hunting and more folks vacationing to Texas to hunt. Maybe that is good, maybe not.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: economy and hunting [Re: txtrophy85] #5489507 12/20/14 09:21 PM
S
SniperRAB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S

No Chit rofl
I have the ***** on Ignore I cant stand the Hieroglyphics..But I seen where you quoted him. 1 dollar a day, SMH
I can remember 3 bucks a acre in the early 80's but it was pretty pizz poor country

Re: economy and hunting [Re: Curtis] #5489513 12/20/14 09:23 PM
S
SniperRAB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S

I have noticed that on Black Bucks as well or at least a Kill Fee coming into play

Re: economy and hunting [Re: SniperRAB] #5489560 12/20/14 09:48 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted By: SniperRAB

No Chit rofl
I have the ***** on Ignore I cant stand the Hieroglyphics..But I seen where you quoted him. 1 dollar a day, SMH
I can remember 3 bucks a acre in the early 80's but it was pretty pizz poor country

rofl $250.00 per gun for a year round lease my math may be wrong. tis not that smart. twas Blessed though. & yes the post is true. been on at least 3 different leases cheapest $200.00 year round. maybe the owners went as gready. reason for going ta credit adviser. material for house, car & truck up keep. vacations, charging for Christmas for kids. credit adviser did give good advice i recon after reading post on THF &know people who have payed twice & even tripple. we just couldn't aford it. Say what ya will. didn't change facts. Best Wishes flag

i'm postaddic
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide