Page 1 of 2 1 2
Expandable broad heads and "Shoot-through Mesh" #5479204 12/15/14 10:29 PM
T
TX TCAT Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T
Anyone ever witness this affecting arrow flight? I've been shooting rage expandables, but think I might switch to fixed blades after my experience this weekend. On Friday I had a perfect 27 yard, broadside shot at what would have been my biggest buck to date and missed... Feels pretty bad because I've never missed an animal within 50 yards, and I don't get to hunt again until New Year's Day.

This was also my first time to use the shoot through mesh that comes with most pop-up tent blinds. I usually take it off, but this was my cousin's spot (which I had full permission to hunt in) and he likes to leave it on. After searching for 2 hours for blood, my arrow, and the deer, none of which were found, I retreated back to the blind to start from square 1 and recreate the shot from my chair. On examining the hole in the mesh, it was pretty obvious that 2 of the blades had expanded upon contact with the mesh. How badly will this cause an arrow to be off course?

Re: Expandable broad heads and "Shoot-through Mesh" [Re: TX TCAT] #5479227 12/15/14 10:38 PM
dgilbert Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I don't think your suppose shoot mechanical through mesh, just fixed. But again I wouldn't shoot through mesh at all, wouldn't take a chance of something going wrong.

Re: Expandable broad heads and "Shoot-through Mesh" [Re: TX TCAT] #5479250 12/15/14 10:47 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Yeah that mesh just gets in the way those pop ups are made to use the shadow to hide you. But there is no tellings were the arrow went. Was shooting with a buddy one day and he said man these new rages don't fly worth a flip... he shot one and I herd a swwiiiiiiiiiiiisssshhhhhh.... wth... I guess he didn't realize you had to set them and was shooitng them with the blades out lol.. arrow was going all over the place

Re: Expandable broad heads and "Shoot-through Mesh" [Re: TX TCAT] #5479264 12/15/14 10:52 PM
T
TX TCAT Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T
Ha! My blades were definitely set to begin with. I guess I'm going to switch over to fixed blades...

Re: Expandable broad heads and "Shoot-through Mesh" [Re: TX TCAT] #5479274 12/15/14 10:55 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
May try NAP expendables they have a lot stouter set and I dout the mesh would open them. Not 100% though

Re: Expandable broad heads and "Shoot-through Mesh" [Re: Navasot] #5479690 12/16/14 01:52 AM
C
ChrisB Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
I wouldn't recommend shooting through the mesh at all. If you must, use a fixed head. I leave the window that I will be shooting out of open. I messed up once and shot a turkey through the actual pop up once but it was with a slick trick.

Re: Expandable broad heads and "Shoot-through Mesh" [Re: dgilbert] #5479804 12/16/14 02:36 AM
J
Jtmeeks Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
Originally Posted By: dgilbert
I don't think your suppose shoot mechanical through mesh, just fixed. But again I wouldn't shoot through mesh at all, wouldn't take a chance of something going wrong.

THIS

I don't always exaggerate, I just remember BIG!
Re: Expandable broad heads and "Shoot-through Mesh" [Re: TX TCAT] #5479972 12/16/14 03:29 AM
W
wisco-hunter Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
W
x2, the people that invented the shoot through mesh should be jailed...

Why is it that every time I push #1 for english, I cannot understand the person on the other end???
Re: Expandable broad heads and "Shoot-through Mesh" [Re: TX TCAT] #5480812 12/16/14 04:01 PM
S
sqiggy Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: TX TCAT
This was also my first time to use the shoot through mesh that comes with most pop-up tent blinds.
Nothing to blame but you. As a bowhunter myself, I would never try something that I had not practiced for first.
I see these kinds of threads all the time. It confuses me to death why people do not do a practice shot out of these blinds using the mesh.
What you should have done was open the window or move the mesh off to one side, giving you an opening to shoot thru.
I don't mean to bust your balls on this, but you owe it to the animal your after for a clean, fast kill shot.
What about your cousin? Has he practiced out of his blind?

Re: Expandable broad heads and "Shoot-through Mesh" [Re: sqiggy] #5481009 12/16/14 05:20 PM
T
TX TCAT Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: sqiggy
Originally Posted By: TX TCAT
This was also my first time to use the shoot through mesh that comes with most pop-up tent blinds.
Nothing to blame but you. As a bowhunter myself, I would never try something that I had not practiced for first.
I see these kinds of threads all the time. It confuses me to death why people do not do a practice shot out of these blinds using the mesh.
What you should have done was open the window or move the mesh off to one side, giving you an opening to shoot thru.
I don't mean to bust your balls on this, but you owe it to the animal your after for a clean, fast kill shot.
What about your cousin? Has he practiced out of his blind?

I know from removing the screens on my own blinds that they are an extreme pain to put back on, and while I agree that this wasn't the ideal situation to attempt my first shot through the mesh, that was the situation I was presented with. My cousin has killed many deer in his stands using the mesh, but he uses fixed blades.

Re: Expandable broad heads and "Shoot-through Mesh" [Re: TX TCAT] #5481447 12/16/14 09:16 PM
B
Bowhunt Only Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Slick Tricks Magnums will solve all your problems.

Re: Expandable broad heads and "Shoot-through Mesh" [Re: TX TCAT] #5482873 12/17/14 01:46 PM
C
catslayer Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
The "traditional" theory is no you don't shoot expandables through mesh... I've only seen it done once and it tore a very strange hole in the mesh, not symmetrical so yes I think it did expand at least one side and made it fly funny....

We use slick tricks and I have seen no noticeable amount of change in flight... I Love the stuff. You can get away with way more in the blind. Don't take them down if they have been up, the change will set the does off bad. they don't like it...

Last edited by catslayer; 12/17/14 01:47 PM.

Sombody smells like fried borritos...
Re: Expandable broad heads and "Shoot-through Mesh" [Re: TX TCAT] #5483310 12/17/14 04:19 PM
kmon11 Offline
junior
junior
Have tried it with G5 Montec broad heads and out to 30 yards could not tell any difference in shooting through mesh and not shooting through mesh. The mechanical broad heads i tried through the mesh opened at least one blade and threw the arrow off by 6 inches or more.

I would stay from Mechanical heads if shooting through mesh.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Expandable broad heads and "Shoot-through Mesh" [Re: TX TCAT] #5501524 12/27/14 04:54 AM
M
MR5Hunter Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
Stay away from L shaped mechanicals. I use montecs or slick tricks w/ no issue out to 40 yards. But as already stated, you need to practice w/ a target before trying on live game. Have tried rage mechanicals w/ good results as well.

Re: Expandable broad heads and "Shoot-through Mesh" [Re: TX TCAT] #5501551 12/27/14 05:08 AM
P
Phantom Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
As a general rule dont shoot a mechanical through mesh. I would go a step further and say dont shoot them at all. We have added a new bowhunting policy at our ranch after this year. We will no longer allow any mechanical broadheads to be shot. in fishing there is a saying that some lures are made to catch fishermen and only a few are made to catch fish. I think the same about mechanicals. they are made to catch archers.

Good is the enemy of Great
Re: Expandable broad heads and "Shoot-through Mesh" [Re: TX TCAT] #5505061 12/29/14 01:22 AM
S
sloughfoot Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
NAP spitfire will shoot through no problem.

whatever you are be a good one
Re: Expandable broad heads and "Shoot-through Mesh" [Re: Phantom] #5507056 12/30/14 12:25 AM
C
ChrisB Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: brianl
As a general rule dont shoot a mechanical through mesh. I would go a step further and say dont shoot them at all. We have added a new bowhunting policy at our ranch after this year. We will no longer allow any mechanical broadheads to be shot. in fishing there is a saying that some lures are made to catch fishermen and only a few are made to catch fish. I think the same about mechanicals. they are made to catch archers.

I hunt on a bowhunting only lease with some very good bow hunters and fortunately we know better. There can be some great advantages to shooting mechanicals in the right set up at the right time. I have seen way more deer lost with small fixed heads than I have with large cutting mechanicals.

Re: Expandable broad heads and "Shoot-through Mesh" [Re: TX TCAT] #5507975 12/30/14 12:21 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I disagree ChrisB. I hunt on a bow only lease as well. A sharp head will kill if put in the right place. It's human error that causes most deer to go unfound. Reshot heads that weren't resharpened. Poor shot angle. Poor shot timing or choices. Cheapest mechanical heads they could buy. Lack of blood trailing skills. The list goes on. I shoot exclusively fixed heads. Very, very sharp fixed heads. I practice regularly. I shoot only within my comfort range no matter how big the deer is. Only one of the deer I've shot this year were shot over 20 yards and 23 yards is well within my range. My problem with the mechanical heads is to much can go wrong and when it does it's often for the individuals who shoot them so they don't have to tune their bow well or can't group well and hope a wide cut will make up for poor shooting.

But as for the OP, yeah, no. Mech heads and shoot through mesh don't work too well together.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Expandable broad heads and "Shoot-through Mesh" [Re: passthru] #5508120 12/30/14 02:08 PM
C
ChrisB Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
I didn't see one thing really in your statement that we disagree on. But if you can get a 50 to 100% larger cut out of a head that will genarally fly better out of most bows, wouldn't that give you a better margin of error for when things don't go perfect? Modern mechanicals have come a long ways. All I am saying is don't be so quick to dismiss them. I personally shoot both grim reaper mechanicals and hell razor fixed and both have things they do better. Unfortunately things dont always go perfect in the field no matter how much we practice.

Re: Expandable broad heads and "Shoot-through Mesh" [Re: TX TCAT] #5508511 12/30/14 05:26 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I will say I know that some of the guys put some hellacious holes in the deer with Rage heads. And a high hit with a G5 Montec can leave a spotty blood trail even though the deer is dead at the end of it. But a fixed head removes one variable. I prefer to control what I can.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Expandable broad heads and "Shoot-through Mesh" [Re: TX TCAT] #5508600 12/30/14 06:10 PM
W
wisco-hunter Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
W
I put in way too much time to leave anything up to chance (usually a 3+ years between buck kills), so for me I will not shoot through any kind of material or have any chance of a mechanical not opening. I do not shoot mechanicals but I have seen what they have done and it's impressive, but even if it has a 1 in 200 chance of not opening and I don't get a hit on a deer that I have been hunting for years, I won't chance it. Just like mesh if it affects only 1 in 100 shots arrow flight, that's too much for me. But that's just me, I have a way bigger problem shooting through mesh than I do with mechanical broadheads, even if your mechanical does not open you will kill the deer if you shoot it through the lungs or heart. There is no way of telling how much mesh can effect the flight of an arrow, it varies on the type of mesh, size of broadhead, size of fletching's, how tight the mesh is stretched, too many variables for me to chance.

Why is it that every time I push #1 for english, I cannot understand the person on the other end???
Re: Expandable broad heads and "Shoot-through Mesh" [Re: TX TCAT] #5509195 12/30/14 11:39 PM
7ARanch Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
As for shooting through mesh, it just makes me uncomfortable. there are enough variable bowhunting as it is. Mesh introduces ^^^ the items concerning the way it is stretched, or not, mesh size etc. I wouldn't take a shot through the bushes, same idea as shooting through mesh. I know lots have had success at it but sitting back in a pop up without mesh over the windows, drawing inside it and then aiming I have yet to get busted.

Destroyer 340; Easton Flatline; Grim Reapers
Not as Mean Not as Lean but still a Marine

Billy Bob: My nose is dripping on my balls...
Re: Expandable broad heads and "Shoot-through Mesh" [Re: TX TCAT] #5520254 01/05/15 02:10 AM
S
sloughfoot Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
I've killed several deer shooting thru mesh. Shot slick tricks spitfire and grim reaper hades. Hasn't affected them at all.

whatever you are be a good one
Re: Expandable broad heads and "Shoot-through Mesh" [Re: TX TCAT] #5549733 01/18/15 05:58 PM
B
Big Bite Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
B
I have had a misshap with non fixed through mess as well, I am with most of you go fixed!

Re: Expandable broad heads and "Shoot-through Mesh" [Re: Phantom] #5579867 02/03/15 02:33 PM
6InARowMakeItGo Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: brianl

Lmao!

Last edited by Thundervee; 02/03/15 02:36 PM.

🍻
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide