Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics537,031
Posts9,719,626
Members86,989
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
First lease /First week experiences - Son's first Buck (a story...) #5454066 12/02/14 07:05 PM
CharlieCTx Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
We started our first lease this year in Hollis, OK. Small place (50'ish acres) with lots of variety. Fishing, all the feathers, claws, paws, hooves, etc you could want to hunt.

Setup (2) spinners and (1) small protein gravity feed in March and started the ritual. Late October the Antlers start to finally show up and surprisingly (to me anyway), the 10-12 pt guys are going to the Protein feeder only. I'll also add it wasn't until say August, I had a picture of a deer actually eating out of the Protein feeder. Coons were pulling it out (we took care of that) and they would eat what was on the ground. I did a last full fill on everything Halloween weekend.

My boys (13/15) and I go out Saturday before T'giving for our first deer hunt. Flat on the trailer slowed us down, so got there too late to hunt Saturday PM. Sunday AM we go out in our popup to hunt our main spin feeder. No traffic, and no corn flying. Go check the feeder, there was a piece of feed bag clogging the spout. Check the camera to see when we last threw corn, didn't turn the camera on when I was there weeks earlier. frown We go check the Protein feeder, completely empty. Check the camera... A gate at the LO's goat pen was left open, have pics on 11/7 of 30-40 goats mobbing my feeder, standing on each other, on hind legs, etc. Cleaned it out. No deer activty after 11/8. Now I'm really "disappointed". We go to third feeder, he's doing his job, camera shows activity, lots of Does, small Bucks. We hunt that several days and see the same, no one shoots. 15 yr old is #1 shooter as he's never shot a buck (I haven't either, but this is for them) so he decides he's going to shot a nice 6 pt (turns out he was an 8, but broke 2 off) that was showing up regular Tues PM. Tues PM comes, first time he doesn't show. In this area we're in Tree Stands shooting over a slough full of cattails.

I decide Wed AM (last hunt) we need to go toward the back corner of the property where we have more visibility and better chance of something coming through. To give us every bit of leverage I could conjur up, I poured out Deercaine night before in several spots, corn with Vanilla and even a few buck bombs (not all clustered together). Wed AM wind is blowing albeit in our favor but still cold and moving the popup a bit. Couldn't quite see over a ridge I wanted to see over after sunup so we pickup everything and move the popup Fred Flintstone style from inside. I'm sure it would have been comical to watch. 30 minutes my son's Buck shows up chasing (3) Doe, they all hop the back fence, Doe come back in about 15 sans the Buck. Just as I tell my son to take one of the Doe, Buck shows up. He's trying to get into position to shoot (taking too long...), wind is picking up the pop-up trying to flip it as we hold it down. Buck is walking off, I whistle to get him to stop, he turns broadside, son shoots, immediately drops. Reloads and drops one of the Doe as well. We're excited, I convince 'em we have to wait. 10 min's later Buck picks his head up and starts to flail. We're about to let another round go, he lays down again and can't really see him with the grass. This continued for 30 minutes before I decide he may not be dead, but doesn't appear to be getting up. We take a long/slow walk around to high ground to come down on him. Ended up shooting him in the heart area with my 9mm to finally expire him. My son's shot was high, but didn't break his back, so not sure what all was going on.

I had more fun watching him shoot than getting one myself. The 13yr old and I are going back for the final weekend. He's Mr. Lucky so I'm confident he'll get soemthing big quick and I'll end up with a Doe. smile

Final chapter next week.

Charlie

Re: First lease /First week experiences - Son's first Buck (a story...) [Re: CharlieCTx] #5454156 12/02/14 07:59 PM
8pointdrop Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Very nice!! Good job dad. Great first buck

Re: First lease /First week experiences - Son's first Buck (a story...) [Re: CharlieCTx] #5454157 12/02/14 08:00 PM
T
TooLow Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Awesome, Congrats!

Re: First lease /First week experiences - Son's first Buck (a story...) [Re: CharlieCTx] #5454166 12/02/14 08:05 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
So...is this the first year, first time you or the boys have ever hunted? Or just the first time ya'll have shot anything?

Either way, great job dad!!! Great buck for the young man and good job dealing with adversity and still getting it done...I will tell you, that adversity doesn't go away, no matter how long you hunt grin

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: First lease /First week experiences - Son's first Buck (a story...) [Re: CharlieCTx] #5454167 12/02/14 08:06 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
And Good luck to the young son on the next trip cheers

Re: First lease /First week experiences - Son's first Buck (a story...) [Re: CharlieCTx] #5454176 12/02/14 08:09 PM
R
rattler03 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Great story, congrats to all of y'all! cheers

Re: First lease /First week experiences - Son's first Buck (a story...) [Re: txshntr] #5454375 12/02/14 09:57 PM
CharlieCTx Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: txshntr
So...is this the first year, first time you or the boys have ever hunted? Or just the first time ya'll have shot anything?

First year Deer hunting where we had to find 'em on our own. The boys did Deer hunts with TYHP last year. Mr. Lucky (13 yr old) shot a Buck/Doe/Turkey on his first trip and his first hunt using a rifle (30.06). I didn't hunt Deer in South La. where I grew up, so I'm learning along with 'em. I'd still rank Duck hunting above Deer, though I have to say it's pretty exhilarating when one walks out.

Charlie

Kel-Tec RFB + Griffin Sportsman Ultra Light 300 + Pulsar Apex XQ-50
M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Remy 700 + Leupold VX3 3.5x10x50 CDS
Re: First lease /First week experiences - Son's first Buck (a story...) [Re: CharlieCTx] #5454438 12/02/14 10:24 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: CharlieCTx

First year Deer hunting where we had to find 'em on our own. The boys did Deer hunts with TYHP last year. Mr. Lucky (13 yr old) shot a Buck/Doe/Turkey on his first trip and his first hunt using a rifle (30.06). I didn't hunt Deer in South La. where I grew up, so I'm learning along with 'em. I'd still rank Duck hunting above Deer, though I have to say it's pretty exhilarating when one walks out.

Charlie

That's awesome ya'll get to experience it all together!!! Great job getting them out there up

Re: First lease /First week experiences - Son's first Buck (a story...) [Re: CharlieCTx] #5454440 12/02/14 10:24 PM
M
Mambajeep Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
up

Sometimes chicken, sometimes feathers
Re: First lease /First week experiences - Son's first Buck (a story...) [Re: CharlieCTx] #5454458 12/02/14 10:39 PM
K
KCH Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
K
Originally Posted By: CharlieCTx

Charlie

That's great! Oklahoma has some bucks that will make your heart skip a beat or two...

Re: First lease /First week experiences - Son's first Buck (a story...) [Re: CharlieCTx] #5454488 12/02/14 10:54 PM
J
Jkd106 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
( I'd still rank Duck hunting above Deer, though)

Whoa whoa wait a minute that's crazy talk!

Re: First lease /First week experiences - Son's first Buck (a story...) [Re: CharlieCTx] #5454706 12/03/14 12:26 AM
E
erniejs Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
E
Awesome !! You will never regret time spent with kiddos

We get old too fast and wise too slow
Re: First lease /First week experiences - Son's first Buck (a story...) [Re: erniejs] #5454752 12/03/14 12:40 AM
MikeC Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: erniejs
Awesome !! You will never regret time spent with kiddos

This

www.connerknives.net

In every old body lives a young person wondering what the hell happened!

[Linked Image]
Re: First lease /First week experiences - Son's first Buck (a story...) [Re: CharlieCTx] #5454754 12/03/14 12:42 AM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Great read and awesome buck! Says volumes IMO on how dedicated a father you are, to get those boy's out and give all 3 of you an opportunity not found indoors. up

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide