Print Thread
Mountain lion territory? #5426421 11/17/14 06:12 PM
T
the rattler Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
T
I have a friend with a ranch in Aspermont, he lost 2 300+lb calves in the last 2 weeks to a big cat. I'm thinking maybe more than one cat. He also saw over 10 coyotes this wkend, killing 2. We always new there were big cats in that area and swore on more than one occasion that we heard something at nite outside the tents, now we know for sure. The coyotes are there to clean up the carcass but he now has a true predator problem. Who else has definitive proof of cats and where?

"110 Rattlers to date, so many snakes,so little time"
Re: Mountain lion territory? [Re: the rattler] #5426448 11/17/14 07:44 PM
S
SniperRAB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
We have taken one off our place and we have been there as a group for 23 years...for every one you are lucky enough to see they have already seen you..always heard they are ranchy creatures...I'm sure there are guys out there w hounds if you don't mind Dogs all over your place..

Re: Mountain lion territory? [Re: the rattler] #5426465 11/17/14 07:48 PM
C
catslayer Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Coleman area, family members have seen them/shot at them... People who live there and know the critters and who I trust what they say.... Unless its about fishing, fishing is a WHOLE NOTHER THING

Sombody smells like fried borritos...
Re: Mountain lion territory? [Re: catslayer] #5426512 11/17/14 08:07 PM
G
Grosvenor Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G

Re: Mountain lion territory? [Re: Grosvenor] #5426584 11/17/14 08:32 PM
D
Deerhunter61 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted By: Grosvenor

Dude! What are you trying to start....

Re: Mountain lion territory? [Re: the rattler] #5426772 11/17/14 09:38 PM
G
gary roberson Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
G
It is rare for lions to kill 300+ pound calves when there are lots of deer and hogs in an area. You are correct that the coyotes are no doubt moving in and cleaning up the carcasses and will until all is gone. Mountain lions don't eat carrion. Bear are much worse about killing livestock, especially cattle than lions. Are you sure these cattle were killed by a predator or other illness?
I will also say that if a dog man comes in with TRAINED and BROKE hounds, they will not bother your deer. Deer are smart enough to know when they are pursued and dogs that are trailing across the country won't bother them. I have seen deer lying with a 100 yards of where my dogs were treed as they knew that the dogs offered no threat.
Adios,
Gary

Re: Mountain lion territory? [Re: the rattler] #5426911 11/17/14 10:19 PM
D
DENTPUSHA Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
I was told that two were spotted on our lease north of aspermont but I've never seen any sign. There are a ridiculous amount of coyote out there.

Re: Mountain lion territory? [Re: the rattler] #5427442 11/18/14 01:32 AM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
The salt fork north of Aspermont would be great country to range if you were a cat. I'm sure they're around, somewhere.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Mountain lion territory? [Re: gary roberson] #5427747 11/18/14 02:58 AM
H
HornSlayer Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
Originally Posted By: gary roberson
It is rare for lions to kill 300+ pound calves when there are lots of deer and hogs in an area. You are correct that the coyotes are no doubt moving in and cleaning up the carcasses and will until all is gone. Mountain lions don't eat carrion. Bear are much worse about killing livestock, especially cattle than lions. Are you sure these cattle were killed by a predator or other illness?
I will also say that if a dog man comes in with TRAINED and BROKE hounds, they will not bother your deer. Deer are smart enough to know when they are pursued and dogs that are trailing across the country won't bother them. I have seen deer lying with a 100 yards of where my dogs were treed as they knew that the dogs offered no threat.
Adios,
Gary

Well put. Straight dogs don't bother deer or anything else.

Hey by the way, I shot a lion 3 miles north of Coleman back in August. Didn't get a good clean shot and wasn't wearing snake protection so I didn't look all that much. I spun him around but didn't draw enough blood to make me chase a wounded cat through knee deep grass and cactus.

They make ammo specifically for hunting for a reason! nidea
Re: Mountain lion territory? [Re: the rattler] #5427786 11/18/14 03:13 AM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Originally Posted By: the rattler
I have a friend with a ranch in Aspermont, he lost 2 300+lb calves in the last 2 weeks to a big cat. I'm thinking maybe more than one cat. He also saw over 10 coyotes this wkend, killing 2. We always new there were big cats in that area and swore on more than one occasion that we heard something at nite outside the tents, now we know for sure. The coyotes are there to clean up the carcass but he now has a true predator problem. Who else has definitive proof of cats and where?

If it was a cat, you didn't hear them outside your tent if it was walking.

Amat Victoria Curam - Victory Loves Preparation
Re: Mountain lion territory? [Re: the rattler] #5428949 11/18/14 06:17 PM
B
Brian C. Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
Well said Gary. One indicator to take note of is at times when a lion or lions move in you will notice your deer herd will move out.

God Bless Texas!!! Godspeed our Military!
Re: Mountain lion territory? [Re: the rattler] #5429071 11/18/14 07:05 PM
D
Dave Scott Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
I hear tell that if dogs kill livestock or deer they rip it apart from the outside whereas a wild animal tears open the guts and eats the thing inside out. Is there any way to tell if livestock was killed by a cat/lion versus yotes?
On the range. I think that cats/lions on occasion roam, so a normal home range but they can show up beyond normal range at times. The wildlife depts. always seem to down play that notion.

Re: Mountain lion territory? [Re: the rattler] #5429145 11/18/14 07:31 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
If you find a fresh kill from a cat they usually try to bury the kill or parts (cover with leaves and twigs)and come back later and finish their meal.

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Mountain lion territory? [Re: the rattler] #5429264 11/18/14 08:13 PM
K
Kiko-G Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
K
We have a bunch of them in the ranch in Mexico. As Jimbo said, they will cover their pray and come back later to eat it. You'll find the claw marks on the face of their pray. Back in 96 there were also two calves killed and we found them buried. He was eating the carcass when we found him, but in missed my shot with an old iron sights 30-30. My cousin an I took turns day and night sitting on a tree for over kill for 2 nights before the cat showed up again and was killed by my cousin with a 22lr he had for back up of all things because he missed his first shot the 30-30.

Re: Mountain lion territory? [Re: gary roberson] #5429774 11/18/14 11:24 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: gary roberson
It is rare for lions to kill 300+ pound calves when there are lots of deer and hogs in an area. You are correct that the coyotes are no doubt moving in and cleaning up the carcasses and will until all is gone. Mountain lions don't eat carrion.

Mountain lions certainly will eat carrion, though it may not be their primary diet. They prefer fresh meat, but are not limited to fresh meat. "Fresh" may be a bit ambiguous as noted by the fact that they will return to a kill (which is carrion) for multiple days.

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/wildlife_damage/nwrc/publications/00pubs/00-54.pdf
http://bismarcktribune.com/lifestyles/ou...19bb2963f4.html
http://mountainlion.org/CAL_ch4.asp

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Mountain lion territory? [Re: the rattler] #5430914 11/19/14 02:48 PM
G
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
G
They will return to it for several days, especially in winter months when temps are cooler. There are exceptions to every rule as a lion will eat carrion if he has nothing else but as you said, they prefer fresher kills. A youngster or any lion that is having difficulty killing their own food may have to resort to eating carrion in order to survive but that is not what they really want. If the lion is healthy, there are so many critters that lions can kill across most of their range that they rarely have to eat something that is rotted and stinking. Ironically, jaguars have no problem eating something that stinks as I have seen them eat goats that were killed for several days in 80+ degree temps. Coyotes don't mind the stink either and that is why they do a lot of the clean up of carcasses.
Adios,
Gary

Re: Mountain lion territory? [Re: the rattler] #5431230 11/19/14 05:13 PM
D
Dave Scott Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
Interesting, I didn't know mountain lions would save and return to a kill. Years ago we had a bunch of goats getting killed. They were all ripped apart and folks thought it was bears or yotes and I figured farm dogs running free.

Re: Mountain lion territory? [Re: the rattler] #5431650 11/19/14 08:45 PM
G
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
G
Lions don't always cover their kills. I have found a couple of kills where it appeared that the lion pretty much sat on the carcass and feed until most all was consumed. This was done after the lion drug the kill to heavy cover or carried it uphill and tucked under a rim rock...in both cases, the carcasses was pretty well hidden.
Adios,
Gary

Re: Mountain lion territory? [Re: the rattler] #5435438 11/21/14 06:05 PM
T
Toxarch Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
They are all over in Texas.
We hunt a friend's ranch South of Breckenridge, Tx. A mountain lion killed 8 calves between his ranch and the neighbor's ranch (1500 acres combined) over 2 months. We found paw prints around one of the tanks that is next to the fence line of the 2 properties. I'm guessing it killed that much because it had cubs, but we never saw any paw prints from the cubs.
Another friend has a place North of Bend. Two guys have said they've seen a mountain lion on the ranch. A good size male was killed near Bend and pics posted on here.
A couple of friends live North of Weatherford. One guy saw one crossing the road in his headlights within a mile of his house. He stopped the truck so that he didn't run it over. It could've cared less about the truck coming at it. The farmer near there said it's out in his hay field sometimes and has cubs. He doesn't have livestock and it doesn't attack people so he leaves it alone. Last year, 5 miles South of that sighting, a mountain lion did attack a friend's horse. Claw marks down the rear quarters and paw prints along the creek. At the same time, reports of seeing it and missing pets were all around his place.

It is far more important to be able to hit the target than it is to haggle over who makes a weapon or who pulls a trigger.

� Dwight D. Eisenhower
Re: Mountain lion territory? [Re: Toxarch] #5441414 11/25/14 01:50 AM
C
crapicat Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: Toxarch
They are all over in Texas.
We hunt a friend's ranch South of Breckenridge, Tx. A mountain lion killed 8 calves between his ranch and the neighbor's ranch (1500 acres combined) over 2 months. We found paw prints around one of the tanks that is next to the fence line of the 2 properties. I'm guessing it killed that much because it had cubs, but we never saw any paw prints from the cubs.
Another friend has a place North of Bend. Two guys have said they've seen a mountain lion on the ranch. A good size male was killed near Bend and pics posted on here.
A couple of friends live North of Weatherford. One guy saw one crossing the road in his headlights within a mile of his house. He stopped the truck so that he didn't run it over. It could've cared less about the truck coming at it. The farmer near there said it's out in his hay field sometimes and has cubs. He doesn't have livestock and it doesn't attack people so he leaves it alone. Last year, 5 miles South of that sighting, a mountain lion did attack a friend's horse. Claw marks down the rear quarters and paw prints along the creek. At the same time, reports of seeing it and missing pets were all around his place.

Yea, I got one running the bottoms on a lease property...done lost a couple of calves the last few months...hope me or the neighbor get him...I am setting up night vision equipment just for the endeavor and waiting on the winter chill to draw it out of the heavy brush. Guess the calves were easier prey than the hogs...

Re: Mountain lion territory? [Re: the rattler] #5443423 11/26/14 01:59 AM
J
JDGambino Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
I killed one a few years ago south of Ozona. Only the second one I have ever seen. They are more common then people think. Most just don't make mistakes to be seen.

Re: Mountain lion territory? [Re: the rattler] #5445576 11/27/14 01:18 PM
R
Rifleman1775 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
Got a pic of a cat on my trail cam. My lease is near Apple Springs. First pic was hard to tell for sure but found a second pic a from a few days later that confirmed it. Can't get it to upload for some reason. I'll keep trying.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide