Well this is horrible... but ... #5416856 11/13/14 02:19 AM
O
offinthewoods Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
O
GOOD at the same time.

Went to check camera all to fid out I didn't watch my battery % lol.. Big mistake on my part.

But!, I did manage to find these and looks pretty heavy to me.

This one I made a mock scrape the lower L, and have a dripper, been out for at least 3 days then today notice what appears to be a scrape in the upper R.. It hasent been until this front..

This print was taken on Sunday . looks to be a big doe. Even tho I have not seen any on camera.

I have tons of smaller tracks from the last 5 days but not a single picture of any deer other then the dew bucks iv posted..

Any tips or ideas of any sort is appreciated.. Yes I do know watch and change camera batteries lol

Re: Well this is horrible... but ... [Re: offinthewoods] #5416922 11/13/14 02:42 AM
O
offinthewoods Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
O
Also the first pic from today is wide to sharp point. But no due claws. Iv always heard and seen that hoofs like that are bucks.

The last pic of the track and hand is more doe looking..

Re: Well this is horrible... but ... [Re: offinthewoods] #5416960 11/13/14 02:53 AM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
I don't see a scrape in the upper right?

Bucks now should be locked in with a hot doe, or darn close. They will move allot between girlfriends and the ones that dont have a lady, will be on the trail ALLOT. Time in the woods (all day) would be time well spent since you never know when a buck will move right now. They will chase a doe darn near till she collapses.

I don't and never have bought the "dew claws mean its a buck" I have seen does make the marks too. I think the premise is if it is a walking deer tack and it leaves claw marks, it must be a heavy mature deer, makes a certian amount of sense, but far from fool proof. (IMO)

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Well this is horrible... but ... [Re: offinthewoods] #5416982 11/13/14 03:02 AM
J
JDShellnut Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: offinthewoods

Any tips or ideas of any sort is appreciated..

Turn you phone sideways to take pictures.

Re: Well this is horrible... but ... [Re: offinthewoods] #5417020 11/13/14 03:14 AM
O
offinthewoods Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
O

This is what I was wondering about, as if he came in and made a small scrape. I know it was new but unsure.

Adam_p --- like this?

This was another track aswell

Soory for all the questions.

Re: Well this is horrible... but ... [Re: offinthewoods] #5417170 11/13/14 04:14 AM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Questions are good and in this line of "bidness" can start some good arguments LOL.

Not sure those "scrapes" are being used, a buck wont let debris lay in them like that, constantly rake with their hooves and it should be moist with urine.

If I get a chance to go move my TC tomorrow, I will get a photo of a scrape that has been active for around 2 -3 weeks, so you can see what I mean.

Dennis

Re: Well this is horrible... but ... [Re: offinthewoods] #5417219 11/13/14 04:37 AM
O
offinthewoods Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
O
Western --- awesome thanks for the info..

Also what's your take on the tracks I have put up?

I also have some that are about the size of a half dollar thinking the ones that are leaving them can't be much older then 1.5 .. They also are just surface tracks. Not deep nor impressed like the ones above.

Re: Well this is horrible... but ... [Re: offinthewoods] #5417268 11/13/14 05:20 AM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Honestly, it would be speculation, unless you saw the deer make the tracks. The photo with the deep punch in the ground looks like a small deer that was "hopping", or playing. I see my yearlings do this all the time and they leave a track just like that.

The track with your glove hand in the photo, looks to be a decent size deer, but IMO, hard to tell buck or doe again without seeing the deer make the track. One of them looks like a 2 step track (one on the other)

I have watched deer and went to see the tracks, just because of this very thing, seen some does with bigger hooves than some bucks, Dirt type/substance, will always effect a track as well. I would bet if it is a large, heavy looking track, it would be a good possibility it is a buck.

IMO though, tracks only 100% tell you where deer have been, but this is good info to have, then you can start reasoning "why", or "what" causes them to be there. Ponds are obvious, but look around and you may see where they have been browsing a certain plant, headed to a bedding area, or what not. Then consider wind and thermals and formulate a plan to hunt the area they are frequenting. A feeder or food plot, generally at least, consolidates does activity making it easier. Where the does are, bucks will soon be no doubt.

Dennis

Re: Well this is horrible... but ... [Re: offinthewoods] #5417293 11/13/14 05:41 AM
kmon11 Offline
junior
junior
Dew claws show up on running tracks or where ground is soft enough for the deer to bog into it with their feet. Running does, fawns and bucks all will leave tracks with dew claw marks, not just bucks. The hardness of the ground has lots to do with "surface tracks" or Bogged in tracks than the weight of the deer to a large extent. The best way to say for sure what deer made the tracks is to see the deer making them and you can learn quite a bit by looking at tracks of deer you have seen making those tracks.

Look at your own tracks, are the cleats if the boots making surface indentations or full cleat marks, deer tracks will be similar the softer the ground the more distinct the track.

For scrapes like Western said active ones will be clear of leaves and such and often have deer urine smell and moist. Communal scrapes are good ones to hunt and I have seen them over 7 feet across, several bucks will use them and does also. Those ones are good to hunt if you find them.

Sometimes does will make scrapes, have watched it happen several times.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Well this is horrible... but ... [Re: offinthewoods] #5417558 11/13/14 02:07 PM
O
offinthewoods Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
O
Great info guys, thanks!

My soil is sand/clay type

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide