Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics537,029
Posts9,719,585
Members86,989
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Disabled Hunter Finally Makes It Down To The Legendary South TX Brush Country ... #5384452 10/28/14 03:32 PM
J
JDPoulsen Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
J
Had a great hunt with Rusty Kimbrell on his ranch southwest of Uvalde. My son Frank and I were targeting two big mature 8 point bucks. Rusty had sent us Game Cam pics of the bucks we were going to hunt for. We arrived at the Lodge which had everything you could ask for around 230 Friday and visited a while and then loaded up and went out to our stands. Frank and Jimmy Kimbrell went to a tower blind and Rusty and I went to a new Popup blind he had set up. I have Muscular Dystrophy and have to hunt on the ground. Frank and Jimmy saw his 8 point for a brief time but the buck did not give him a clear shot. My target buck did not show up but we saw a lot of deer and another nice 8 point. We went back to camp with high hopes for the next mornings hunt. Rusty grilled thick Ribeye Steaks for dinner with grilled Quail stuffed with Cheese and Jalapeño Peppers as an appetizer. We got up early Saturday and went back to the same stands. A little after 700 AM we heard Frank shoot. We got a text saying it looked like he had hit his buck that disappeared into the brush after the shot. About twenty minutes later Rusty said there he is! I looked through the scope and saw my buck walk up behind the feeder and stop. The big 8 point stopped and raised his head up and I could see that big rack sky lighted against the blue sky. He was facing us straight on. I considered taking a shot at the base of his neck but there was a feeder leg in the way so I held off. Suddenly we heard a rifle shot from the bordering ranch and my buck disappeared into the brush. Rusty said this buck was 7 1/2 or 8 1/2 years old and was pretty wary and he was afraid he might not show back up. I said that's Ok as I said a little prayer and was hopeful he would give me another chance. Two or three minutes later I heard Rusty say "There he is!" on the right side of the feeder. He turned broadside and stopped and I put the crosshairs behind his shoulder and squeezed the trigger. At the shot the buck ran into the brush. I told Rusty the sight picture looked good and I felt good about the 110 yard shot. We waited for about 30 minutes and Rusty went and got the Polaris and came back and got me and we rode up the sendero to the feeder. Rusty went and looked for sign and went into the brush while I waited. I heard Rusty holler that he had found my buck about 20 yards away. He drug him back into the sendero so I could get a look at him. What a buck, it is the biggest I have taken in almost 35 years of hunting. We then went to where Frank and Jimmy were looking for Franks buck. They found blood and bone and it looked like the deer had a broken front leg. They decided to back off and called Roy Hindes to see if he could come out with his tracking dogs to search for Franks buck. Roy was not able to come but after Rusty explained what they had found he said his son in law John could bring the dogs out and he thought he would be able to find the buck. John showed up after about an hour and one half and he and his two dogs and Frank and Jimmy and Johns young son took off on the trail. After about twenty minutes one of the dogs barked and John said they found the buck. They went to where the dogs were barking and John went up and dispatched the mortally wounded buck with one shot from his lever action rifle. What an adventure! It was money well spent and Frank was relieved when he walked up to his big 8 point! Later that evening, Frank and I went and sat in the ground blind and Rusty and Jimmy put corn out in the sendero. Frank was able to shoot a big doe with his Matthews Bow, his first ever Bow Kill!

I can not say enough good things about Rusty Kimbrell and Bigironranchadventures.com and his brother Jimmy. They went out to the ranch several days before our arrival to check the deer cams, make sure everything was in order and went and sat in the stands to get sightings of the bucks we were after. These were wild native whitetail deer in the South Texas Brush and mature bucks can be unpredictable but Rusty and Jimmy put in the time and effort to make our hunt a success. Rusty and Jimmy got video of both of our rifle kills and Rusty loaned me his video camera and I was able to video Franks first bow kill! Frank and I both got our personal best bucks on this hunt and made a couple of new friends in the process!

Re: Disabled Hunter Finally Makes It Down To The Legendary South TX Brush Country ... [Re: JDPoulsen] #5386392 10/29/14 02:05 PM
W
wheelz Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
W
There's nothing like hunting in South Tx brush country. Congratulations guys! I can't wait to go down there now.

Re: Disabled Hunter Finally Makes It Down To The Legendary South TX Brush Country ... [Re: wheelz] #5387377 10/29/14 09:15 PM
J
JDPoulsen Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
J
Originally Posted By: wheelz
There's nothing like hunting in South Tx brush country. Congratulations guys! I can't wait to go down there now.

South TX is an amazing place! I have hunted East TX, West TX, and the Hill Country and the Pan Handle of TX. I have been wanting to hunt down there for almost 40 years, it was worth the wait. That country has a lot of deer, hogs, javelina. Saw a lot of quail, an eagle and some tropical birds that were beautiful. My son and I both shot a Monster Buck on this trip. It does not get much better than that. We were blessed to finally make it down there. Could not have asked for a better hunt.

Re: Disabled Hunter Finally Makes It Down To The Legendary South TX Brush Country ... [Re: JDPoulsen] #5387697 10/30/14 12:41 AM
L
Luke27 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
L
Congratulations! good times and Awesome Bucks!!!!

Re: Disabled Hunter Finally Makes It Down To The Legendary South TX Brush Country ... [Re: JDPoulsen] #5387840 10/30/14 01:45 AM
LSWO Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Congrats!!! Great deer.

Chris Gill
United States Army Combat Veteran, Retired (DV)
Lone Star Warriors Outdoors
Web http://www.lonestarwarriorsoutdoors.com/
Facebook http://www.facebook.com/LoneStarWarriorsOutdoors
Re: Disabled Hunter Finally Makes It Down To The Legendary South TX Brush Country ... [Re: Luke27] #5387979 10/30/14 02:42 AM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: Luke27
Congratulations! good times and Awesome Bucks!!!!

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Disabled Hunter Finally Makes It Down To The Legendary South TX Brush Country ... [Re: JDPoulsen] #5387986 10/30/14 02:45 AM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
That's a great buck and pics!!! Congrats

Re: Disabled Hunter Finally Makes It Down To The Legendary South TX Brush Country ... [Re: JDPoulsen] #5388806 10/30/14 03:56 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Nice Bucks!

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Disabled Hunter Finally Makes It Down To The Legendary South TX Brush Country ... [Re: JDPoulsen] #5389272 10/30/14 07:26 PM
jeh7mmmag Offline
gramps
gramps
Congrats, Great pictures, story, and sounds like all had a great time. cheers up

�Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in,
where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul.�
~ John Muir
Re: Disabled Hunter Finally Makes It Down To The Legendary South TX Brush Country ... [Re: JDPoulsen] #5390131 10/31/14 03:30 AM
J
JDPoulsen Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
J

Re: Disabled Hunter Finally Makes It Down To The Legendary South TX Brush Country ... [Re: JDPoulsen] #5407268 11/08/14 11:09 PM
R
Roach Painting Co. Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
Congrats

Re: Disabled Hunter Finally Makes It Down To The Legendary South TX Brush Country ... [Re: Roach Painting Co.] #5418315 11/13/14 07:25 PM
D
DRT Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
Congrats guys!

THE WOODS HAS MUCH TO OFFER TO THE HUMAN SOUL!
Genesis 27:3 Now then, get your equipment--your quiver and bow--and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide