Print Thread
Setting the scope vertical #5405641 11/07/14 09:19 PM
K
Korean Redneck Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
K
How do you guys endure your scope is trully vertical relative to your rifle?

I have a set of those levels that have magnets attached to them. But it always looks really wrong to me when i place it into the receiver.

What are the drawback of doing it visually with a string and plumb bob with my rifle sitting on my kitch table with a bipod?
Any hints, tips or tricks ya'll use?

I'm a dude who likes long barrels!
Re: Setting the scope vertical [Re: Korean Redneck] #5405646 11/07/14 09:22 PM
S
SingleShot85 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
feeler gauges are the shizzz

but you have to have two flat surfaces.....

Re: Setting the scope vertical [Re: Korean Redneck] #5405947 11/08/14 01:08 AM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Plumbob for the scope reticle, but first level the scope base with a 6" level or an anticant level like a JEC if ya got it.

It needs to be level with the world, not your perception.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Setting the scope vertical [Re: Korean Redneck] #5406004 11/08/14 01:41 AM
H
hermano W Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
With a rifle with a box magazine, I take the magazine out and consider the two sides of the stock to be level. I rest it on my porch rail that is level making sure the rail is where the magazine should be. Then I put a little level on the elevation turret and level the scope that way. It's quick and easy. I use an anti cant level on rifles with a blind magazine and rounded bottom. I put a level on the elevation turret and then clamp the anti cant in perfect agreement. Then I level the rifle the best I can and clamp the scope with the anti cant level marking level...

Re: Setting the scope vertical [Re: hermano W] #5406034 11/08/14 02:02 AM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Level on the elevation turret is a good way to introduce cant, been down that road. You need to level the reticle.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Setting the scope vertical [Re: Korean Redneck] #5406131 11/08/14 03:21 AM
westexhunt Offline
Tracker
Tracker
I've used all the above methods, and use the "level, level, level" in a hurry but the plumb bob is how I setup anything that will be used over 600 yds. If anyone has some tips for the plumb bob method I am all ears.

Re: Setting the scope vertical [Re: Korean Redneck] #5406148 11/08/14 03:42 AM
H
hermano W Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
The plumbob method is easy enough. You tie a weight to a cord and hang it far enough away that you can focus your scope good enough to see it. Then with your gun level, rotate the scope until the vertical cross hair lines up perfectly with the hanging cord. The only reason I don't always use this method is I get too lazy to go throw the weighted cord over the limb on a tree.
What ever method you use, it is easy to test your outcome. After zeroing the POI. dial up a couple of mils or moa, if the vertical crosshair is off, the POI will move to the left or right. Dial up a couple more, and it will move even further.

Re: Setting the scope vertical [Re: Korean Redneck] #5406442 11/08/14 01:32 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
I use a neighbors rooftop or something with a better than average chance of being level or have a true 90* verticle edge...and as far away as possible up to a couple hundred yards, and do the adjustments off a solid surface where I can fiddle with the scope while the rifle is in a cleaning/mntce cradle.

Understand, God did not make anyone's shoulder x's neck & cheek connection square & level with their eyes position either. Any of ya'' that wear glasses when they shoot will understand that the two physical aspects of the position f the ears as the rear support & the eye's are not the same on as the same set of stuff on the other side of their head.

Between old age sagging of my shoulder X's several surgical reconstructions ....my shooting shoulder is waay beyond being "squared up" anymore so the best I can hope for is to make the mechanical connection between the scope & the rifle as plumb true as possible and try and adjust my "hold & Cheek weld" accordingly.
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: Setting the scope vertical [Re: Korean Redneck] #5406597 11/08/14 03:07 PM
G
GLC Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
G
For me the leveling of the rifle is the hardest thing to set up first with a bolt action. After that I think it gets easier to level scope. Have to have a good foundation first to start with.

Re: Setting the scope vertical [Re: Korean Redneck] #5410292 11/10/14 03:36 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
A couple thoughts. I have seen some reticles not 100% straight to the scope tube. If you level the reticle with a plum bob, then your tracking will not be 100% correct. This is a no-no for long range dialing of the scope. If it's a hunting scope, then dialing the turrets won't matter once you are zero'd and do not plan to dial elevation, plum bob is fine.

So, I ALWAYS level the scope tube, since that is what does the tracking. If the reticle is slightly canted (which it shouldn't be), it will not matter.

I use any flat surface on the rifle, like the bottom of the magazine well (preferred method), top of the scope base/rail, etc, that I can get a reading or reference point. Often times the bottom of the mag well will not be level to the top of the action or scope bases, and that's ok. I use this for a reference to use for the scope. I will have a bipod up front and a rear bag to help keep the rifle level and still. I level the rifle using the scope bases. I then check the mag well level, and use this as a reference point, as it may not be 100% level to the top of the action.

Next I make sure the top of the scope turret is level to the scope tube comparing the bottom or side flat spot of the scope to the turret. Often times the scope turret is not level to the tube. I make a reference point here as well.

Once I have my reference point from the bottom of the mag well and reference point for the scope, I'll mount the scope. I'll make sure my level is even with my reference points to the top of the turret, and the rifle is set to my reference point on the mag well. Then you will have a level scope tube, and should track correctly.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide