Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DFWRoadkill and an X-Sighting Hog Hunt #5397072 11/04/14 12:05 AM
Bearclaw Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
Never recovered the hog, but from the video it looks like she was having trouble extending her front right leg immediately after the shot. I think dfwroadkill hit her low in the shoulder and she died in the brush.

Re: DFWRoadkill and an X-Sighting Hog Hunt [Re: Bearclaw] #5397087 11/04/14 12:14 AM
HuntTXhogs Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Tyler -

Was the native video shot in 720p @ 60 hz or 1080p @ 30 hz?

Is the original of higher resolution (quality) than this Youtube upload?

Nice shot DFWRoadkill

HTXH

Re: DFWRoadkill and an X-Sighting Hog Hunt [Re: HuntTXhogs] #5397115 11/04/14 12:28 AM
Bearclaw Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: HuntTXhogs
Tyler -

Was the native video shot in 720p @ 60 hz or 1080p @ 30 hz?

Is the original of higher resolution (quality) than this Youtube upload?

Nice shot DFWRoadkill

HTXH

As usual it looks better through the scope and on raw files. I am rendering a 1080p 30fps video now and I will try to see if I can't get it uploaded in it's native format. Either way, the image is impressive. Those hogs were at 45 yards. The X-Sight has some serious range for day and night use.

Re: DFWRoadkill and an X-Sighting Hog Hunt [Re: Bearclaw] #5397144 11/04/14 12:41 AM
Bearclaw Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
Here try watching htis one in 1080p for a better representation

Re: DFWRoadkill and an X-Sighting Hog Hunt [Re: Bearclaw] #5397158 11/04/14 12:46 AM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I didn't see a setting to switch to 720. All the processing does put a dent in the video as compared to raw. The sight picture on this scope is phenomenal as compared to anything else digital that I have seen on the commercial market.

As for the shot, it is one of those you never quite figure out. I seem to have those. blush I checked zero on the weapon before and after the hunt. The weapon was on and accurate. The X-Sight maintains zero no matter the mag btw. Tight 100 yard groups are easily attainable. The shot was off a ridge into a small valley. The downhill may have gotten me here. I dunno.

Anyway, yes, the X-Sight sight picture is noticeably better than rendered here. I know they are working through some final glitches to give folks all that they have expected, but friend, this scope is going to put a huge grin on your face.

banana banana

Disclaimer: I do not work for any night vision manufacturer, distributor or dealer, period. I receive no money or other enticement for my thoughts on this product.

Re: DFWRoadkill and an X-Sighting Hog Hunt [Re: Bearclaw] #5397257 11/04/14 01:24 AM
Kbar Ag Service Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
The video footage is better than I expected.
Can we safely assume that there will not be a POI in the videos or do you know if this is a glitch that is being resolved?
Also, what caliber / platform (bolt gun / ar-10/15 was used in the video?

Some of us really appreciate the time put into doing these reviews.

BK

PRIVATELY OWNED
TAHC permitted feral swine holding facility.
Serving Gulf Coast and South Texas ranchers, farmers, hunters, and residents with abatement.
Disposal, Traps and in-field pick-up service available.
Re: DFWRoadkill and an X-Sighting Hog Hunt [Re: Bearclaw] #5397355 11/04/14 01:51 AM
HuntTXhogs Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I agree with Kbar - some of us truly appreciate the video and first look tests footage being posted from dealer and/or user experience!

Can either Tyler or DFWRoadkill venture a guess as to how the dusk situation is going to work out.

As I understand the scope is configured for Day OR Night use - so I am assuming that at dusk the scope in Day mode will begin to suffer from a performance standpoint at longer distance, what this will look like is one question (softer image / is there a point where it just won't be able to render an image / etc) and the other question is if you switch the scope into Night mode during the day or dusk does it perform 100% with the compromise being no color video only B&W or Green?

HTXH

Re: DFWRoadkill and an X-Sighting Hog Hunt [Re: Kbar Ag Service] #5397460 11/04/14 02:32 AM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: Kbar Ag Service
The video footage is better than I expected.
Can we safely assume that there will not be a POI in the videos or do you know if this is a glitch that is being resolved?
Also, what caliber / platform (bolt gun / ar-10/15 was used in the video?

Some of us really appreciate the time put into doing these reviews.

BK

Kbar.... I am not exactly sure what you mean in your first question, but will try to answer from assumption. Argh! grin I do not know the exact circumstances as to why the reticule does not show in the video at this point. It is clearly a firmware issue, but as I understand it, there is either a fix at hand or will be very soon. A reticule in the video is extremely important as evidenced in the pig video. The weapon used in the video was an AR10 in .308. I have experienced no failures with the X-Sight at all as concerns recoil. I will say this, batteries. Batteries are very important. Do not purchase and attempt to use cheap batteries with any of these scopes. I have experienced shut off, pauses and other glitches with cheap(er) batteries. First choice is Energizer, second is Duracell. Both endure the recoil, but the Energizers last longer. I can absolutely, 100% duplicate this scenario....and experienced it with the Photon XT also.

The X-Sight can or will do a lot of things. It is running a powerful processor, with GPS, Geo-sensing, recording, wi-fi and more. Some of these "accessory" items use a lot of power naturally. The X-Sight will use a lot of battery, particularly if you leave these items running all of the time. Power management is very important.....that or daddies credit card at the battery store. That said, compared to everything you have seen in the digital line-up to date, the X-Sight sight picture will wow you on your first look. If I chose one word, it would be....impressive.

Re: DFWRoadkill and an X-Sighting Hog Hunt [Re: HuntTXhogs] #5397541 11/04/14 02:52 AM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: HuntTXhogs
As I understand the scope is configured for Day OR Night use - so I am assuming that at dusk the scope in Day mode will begin to suffer from a performance standpoint at longer distance, what this will look like is one question (softer image / is there a point where it just won't be able to render an image / etc) and the other question is if you switch the scope into Night mode during the day or dusk does it perform 100% with the compromise being no color video only B&W or Green?

HTXH

HTXH.... Great questions! As all of us know, dusk and dawn are always a tough time for digital scopes. As dusk draws close to night or light comes to the point of day, the day mode does not have full, brilliant color or clarity. Nor do any of the others. I think it will take more time in the field to be able to answer this question with absolute conviction. The resolution on this scope is so far ahead of the others that I don't think it matters. You can see, it does not lose the image, just less color. It is correct that there is a point wherein one has to make the decision to switch between day/night modes. It doesn't take long once you get the menu structure down, but it is a step...and doesn't it always happen at the wrong time. Answering this today, I would say that, by and large, it is close to a non-issue. I could always adjust quickly to see at least 250 yards.

Second question.... If you switch the scope into night mode during the day, you get a white screen. Around dusk, you get a decent image with no illuminator. That is how I recall it on the dusk thing, but remember, we have had limited time in the field.

You have been at the digital thing on this for a long time...a big advocate of digital. You're gonna love it.

I hope this helps...feel free to ask more questions if I wasn't clear. cheers

Last edited by dfwroadkill; 11/04/14 03:53 AM.
Re: DFWRoadkill and an X-Sighting Hog Hunt [Re: Bearclaw] #5397584 11/04/14 03:07 AM
HuntTXhogs Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Thanks D -

The beauty of digital is by far and large the ability to create software (firmware) that improves the use of the product.

It would seem a natural progression for a digital weapon sight to have built in ambient light detection that is able to be configured by the user, for example.

It auto-senses light available and automatically chooses Day or Night mode, the user decides whether this happens at 50% of daylight or 45% or 40% whatever works for their hunting scenario and personal preference.

It may seem like nothing but it does two things:

1) Keeps the user from fiddling with the scope/weapon unnecessarily
2) Makes the user at dusk/dawn idiot proof, set it and forget it

Of course the engineers are probably rolling their eyes at my concept due to the use of IR at night which could be responded to as "light" causing a fault in Day/Night mode but I am sure an algorithm could be used that factors what wavelength of light is available to the system.

I am a digital advocate and look forward to you and Tyler's continued assessments of the demo and production models.

HTXH

Re: DFWRoadkill and an X-Sighting Hog Hunt [Re: Bearclaw] #5397607 11/04/14 03:14 AM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I think your idea is great (and probably doable), but there are reasons that such a product is not on the market today. Because we have watched digital evolve, we also know that what you suggest will be here sooner than later. It has clearly been a monumental task for ATN to get the scope to this point.....and they have lots of resources. Until someone else releases a color scope, they are clearly ahead of the field at this point. Keep in mind, this scope is doing an awful lot for the money....way more than anyone else.

Last edited by dfwroadkill; 11/04/14 03:51 AM.
Re: DFWRoadkill and an X-Sighting Hog Hunt [Re: Bearclaw] #5397618 11/04/14 03:17 AM
Bearclaw Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
I think night mode will work during dusk.
No poi issues I have seen. You can choose the image to zoom on the center of the image, or the center of the reticle.

This image is using different digital zooms on a Remington R25 .308, and POI is consistent.

Here's another sight in. 3 shots...

Re: DFWRoadkill and an X-Sighting Hog Hunt [Re: Bearclaw] #5397628 11/04/14 03:22 AM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Yes, and Kbar, if you were asking about POI shifts with mag, we have not noticed any. Seems rock solid. up

Last edited by dfwroadkill; 11/04/14 03:50 AM.
Re: DFWRoadkill and an X-Sighting Hog Hunt [Re: Bearclaw] #5397677 11/04/14 03:46 AM
S
SachalATN Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
Guyz, amazing job. I just want to say it is people like you who help us make our stuff better. It's easy to criticize but providing useful feedback is really important and only helps us improve our products. When the THOR first came in the market it revolutionized the thermal scope market. We offered quality performance at an affordable price point. Then through out the years with your feedback we improved the scope and now it is considered the benchmark scope in the market, outselling bigger brands.
Same philosophy goes behind the Xsight, there are tons of features we can implement in the xsight, some might be either too much and deter people away, hence we rely on your feedback to make this scope better. Once you receive your scope, send us your feedback, our team is committed to improving this scope. If you don't like anything, do tell us. We will address the issues. I know some members just want to bash our name but people who have actually bought our products know that we try our best to please our customers. If we didn't we wouldn't be in business for 20 years and continue growing.

Thank you for your patience and support.

Last edited by SachalATN; 11/04/14 03:47 AM.

ATN Corporation, USA
The Future of Optics
www.atncorp.com

Please note: I do not read private messages here.
Re: DFWRoadkill and an X-Sighting Hog Hunt [Re: Bearclaw] #5398375 11/04/14 03:29 PM
B
BunnyBlaster Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Thank you for all the pics/videos and reviews. Really appreciate it, helps with the brutal wait

Re: DFWRoadkill and an X-Sighting Hog Hunt [Re: Bearclaw] #5398522 11/04/14 04:16 PM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I think brutal pretty well fits... cheers

Re: DFWRoadkill and an X-Sighting Hog Hunt [Re: Bearclaw] #5398823 11/05/14 01:00 AM
T
Texas buckeye Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Alrighty, back in the action after a delay in being able to log on...

DFW/Bearclaw, how high does this sight sit on the gun, i.e. is this a high sight kind of like the Pulsar N750 or a lower sight more in line with the ATN Thor line? I want to mount this on a savage 22-250 in place of the N750 but there is no way I could make the ATN Thor work on that gun as the eyepiece was too far away when holding the gun on the shoulder with proper cheek weld. I guess a second question right in line with that is what kind of eye relief are you dealing with on this scope, is this a scope you need to be up against like most other NV equipment or is there some distance like a regular scope?

Thanks for posting these videos, I am anxiously awaiting more info about this scope and the possibilities it gives.

Re: DFWRoadkill and an X-Sighting Hog Hunt [Re: Bearclaw] #5398842 11/05/14 01:05 AM
T
Texas buckeye Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Can I say now that I want one of these things....

Re: DFWRoadkill and an X-Sighting Hog Hunt [Re: Bearclaw] #5398903 11/05/14 01:23 AM
J
Jhop Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
I'd like to see a side profile picture of the X-sight mounted on your rifle if you don't mind.

Retired U. S. Army, which means I still have to work to make a living.
Re: DFWRoadkill and an X-Sighting Hog Hunt [Re: Texas buckeye] #5399142 11/05/14 02:27 AM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: Texas buckeye
Alrighty, back in the action after a delay in being able to log on...

DFW/Bearclaw, how high does this sight sit on the gun, i.e. is this a high sight kind of like the Pulsar N750 or a lower sight more in line with the ATN Thor line? I want to mount this on a savage 22-250 in place of the N750 but there is no way I could make the ATN Thor work on that gun as the eyepiece was too far away when holding the gun on the shoulder with proper cheek weld. I guess a second question right in line with that is what kind of eye relief are you dealing with on this scope, is this a scope you need to be up against like most other NV equipment or is there some distance like a regular scope?

Thanks for posting these videos, I am anxiously awaiting more info about this scope and the possibilities it gives.

The X-Sight mounts lower than the 750. It is more like a conventional scope. Lighter too. The eye relief is somewhat like a Thor and other NV scopes in that you have to get up close and look into it. I know all this sounds contrary to what you would wish, but maybe Tyler can talk to you about a mount. I think I have seen some offset mounts for bolt guns that shift the scope rearward and also keep the chamber clear.

Either way, the sight picture on this scope as compares to all other digital currently on the market is a gotta have....even if it means a new AR... grin

Hope this helps and best to ya! cheers

Re: DFWRoadkill and an X-Sighting Hog Hunt [Re: Jhop] #5399164 11/05/14 02:35 AM
HuntTXhogs Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: Rcinit
I'd like to see a side profile picture of the X-sight mounted on your rifle if you don't mind.

Here is mine

popcorn popcorn popcorn popcorn popcorn popcorn popcorn popcorn popcorn popcorn popcorn

stir stir stir stir stir stir stir stir stir stir stir stir stir stir stir

Re: DFWRoadkill and an X-Sighting Hog Hunt [Re: Bearclaw] #5399228 11/05/14 02:57 AM
T
Texas buckeye Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Dfw, Thanks for the input. One thing I may need to do is change out the stock to a more tactical stock with adjustable cheek piece and such, might make mounting the scope on the 22-250 a little easier.

Re: DFWRoadkill and an X-Sighting Hog Hunt [Re: Bearclaw] #5399234 11/05/14 02:59 AM
T
Texas buckeye Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Ben, glad to see you back at it. I thought maybe you had officially retired from the forum after things got nasty in your other threads...I always enjoyed hearing about new stuff, but the way things rolled was silly (not your fault as you know)

Like the gun, will like it more with a real x-sight if that's the gun you will be mounting it on.

Re: DFWRoadkill and an X-Sighting Hog Hunt [Re: Jhop] #5399236 11/05/14 03:00 AM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: Rcinit

Will these work?

Re: DFWRoadkill and an X-Sighting Hog Hunt [Re: Bearclaw] #5399246 11/05/14 03:02 AM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Cracks me up Ben... rofl

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide