Page 1 of 2 1 2
People looking for hunting invites... #5388572 10/30/14 02:31 PM
R
redchevy Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
R
Not many people but a few that I know are always looking around and hinting at hunting invites. They are not young have the means to hunt both money, experience and equipment but are too lazy to do it. One lives on 150 acres he could easily hunt on yet in the past 20 years hasn't had a lease and hasn't done it.

He gripes to me all the time about not having a place to hunt and is always hinting around about getting to come hunt our place. Last year I let him come shoot a doe and after all that it was like big woop he wasn't thrilled he didn't gut/skin/or process it and didn't want the meat. Get the feeling he wants to shoot a buck instead of a doe.

My family spent 1/2 a mil to buy the place and I don't know how many thousands of dollars and hours we have spent improving it and the deer herd through management and feeding and now folks think we should just let them come in and shoot the big bucks because oh they will bring some corn etc. Really gets my goat. I even offered to help him put up a blind on his property and give him a feeder to use... still declined. These are people I want and need to keep a good relationship with so telling them how I feel is not going to happen, just needed to vent a little now its all good come on Friday!

Last edited by redchevy; 10/30/14 02:31 PM.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: People looking for hunting invites... [Re: redchevy] #5388585 10/30/14 02:35 PM
J
JKC Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
I know a guy like that. I let him hunt on my place in LA in my stand because I prefer to hunt on lease in TX, he killed a 9 pt. last weekend and now wants to know if he can go to lease in TX. I told him he's lucky to hunt where he is for free. Got my goat big time!

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Re: People looking for hunting invites... [Re: redchevy] #5388599 10/30/14 02:40 PM
S
Seadog Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Can I come hunt at y'all's places? bolt peepJ/K

I support Cap and Trade - Cap our spending and Trade Obama

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the Government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. - Thomas Jefferson
Re: People looking for hunting invites... [Re: redchevy] #5388600 10/30/14 02:40 PM
Bbear Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
I have permission to hunt on a ranch about an hour from where I live. It is family owned and operated. In return for this, and without being asked to do a thing, I offer to help do whatever is needed. In the past 5 years I have strung fence, taken down fences, cleared brush, cut fire wood, put up and moved stands and feeders and any of a number of other things that needed to be done. In return for this, I get to help manage the does on the property and occasionally get to take a management buck.
Even though I tell folks that I don't own nor lease this property, I still get asked about hunting on the ranch. My normal reply is to tell them what a 3 day hunt would cost and leave it at that.

[IMG][/IMG]

Pay it forward - Kids are the future.

Rifles are similar to boats and young women...there's no end to how much money you can pour into them without making them any more useful.
Re: People looking for hunting invites... [Re: redchevy] #5388693 10/30/14 03:11 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted By: redchevy
Last year I let him come shoot a doe and after all that it was like big woop he wasn't thrilled he didn't gut/skin/or process it and didn't want the meat. Get the feeling he wants to shoot a buck instead of a doe.

We let a young man take a deer at our place youth weekend. He couldn't even tell me at dinner 2 hours later what kind of gun he shot her with. bang

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: People looking for hunting invites... [Re: redchevy] #5388698 10/30/14 03:14 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
At the homeplace it's family only for deer. I've got another spot that's close. I let good friends hunt it from time to time. I get quite a bit of enjoyment letting others hunt and having them be succesfull.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: People looking for hunting invites... [Re: redchevy] #5388890 10/30/14 04:31 PM
R
redchevy Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
R
I agree I get a lot of enjoyment out of taking people, especially kids hunting, but my family has spent the time and cash to do this. We don't have enough land for even me my dad and brother to shoot a good buck a year so usually only one of us does, last year none of us did because they didn't give an opportunity. I shot a nice buck going on 3 years ago and have shot does and a spike since and im happy with that its my brothers go at his pick of the bucks and that's how it is and should be, its the people who want an invite and expect their pick is what I don't get.

I took a kid and his dad fishing last summer had a good 1/2 day trip, it was free of any charge for them I used my boat truck fuel paid to get in caught bait used my tackle I baited and cleaned fish and the kid refused to take a picture with his father after the day was over with the fish. Ruined his dad's day as well as mine.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: People looking for hunting invites... [Re: redchevy] #5388970 10/30/14 05:11 PM
J
JHeflinland Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
I get a lot of people asking to go to my place, most of them think I hunt more than anyone they have ever met, because I make about one trip a month throughout the year. When I explain to them it will be a lot of work and probably no hunting at all, they generally back off.

I have one friend that I take nearly every time I go, and I told him he could hunt aoudad like the place was his, and I will let him try to take one of our bottom end shooter bucks later in the season. The only way I will take anyone and let them shoot an animal is if they put in some work to help me out. It takes a lot of time, money, and effort to set up and maintain a hunting property the way we do things in Texas, and I think that is only fair.

Family and friend trade-offs are another case. (Take me hunting, I'll take you hunting) type of deals.

If ducks had horns I'd probably be a duck hunter.
I am a horrible deer hunter. Probably the worst. Ever.
Re: People looking for hunting invites... [Re: Erathkid] #5388993 10/30/14 05:20 PM
K
KG68 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Originally Posted By: Erathkid
At the homeplace it's family only for deer. I've got another spot that's close. I let good friends hunt it from time to time. I get quite a bit of enjoyment letting others hunt and having them be succesfull.

I've got some good friends that come every two or thee years to bring their two kids hunting. They have built and brought two dang nice blinds and donated over the years. I like these type friends. up

Re: People looking for hunting invites... [Re: redchevy] #5389047 10/30/14 05:42 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Didn't someone on here let their friend sit in their stand last year to just look...... and the guy ended up killing a freakin stud they had been watching eek2

Re: People looking for hunting invites... [Re: Navasot] #5389066 10/30/14 05:49 PM
East Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Navasot
Didn't someone on here let their friend sit in their stand last year to just look...... and the guy ended up killing a freakin stud they had been watching eek2

Yep, I remember that. Think it was around Gilmer or Longview area. Woulda been pizzed

Re: People looking for hunting invites... [Re: KG68] #5389073 10/30/14 05:54 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: KG68

I've got some good friends that come every two or thee years to bring their two kids hunting. They have built and brought two dang nice blinds and donated over the years. I like these type friends. up

Well dang buddy just how big of a blind do need? angel

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: People looking for hunting invites... [Re: redchevy] #5389087 10/30/14 06:00 PM
T
tShawnB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
The only thing I would be even interrupted for during hunting season is a funeral. People, especially friends and family, know not to ask me to attend weddings, birthdays, holidays IE Thanksgiving, etc... so I certainly don't have folks inquire about hunting for nothing. I do have a friend or two I ask to come shoot does as we generally have a dozen or more doe tags that have to be filled and I get tired of hammering does all the time.

How come everybody I meet is a deer hunting expert?
Re: People looking for hunting invites... [Re: redchevy] #5389121 10/30/14 06:13 PM
R
redchevy Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
R
I don't have to worry about friends. For the most part my friends have the same interests as I do and have nicer places to hunt.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: People looking for hunting invites... [Re: redchevy] #5389148 10/30/14 06:24 PM
R
RossCravens Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
Our place is family only...been like that for generations. We have made a few exceptions to that for a few that have come up and busted tail helping around the place without the carrot in front of them that they were for sure going to get to hunt. At the end of the day our place belongs to my mom and dad (mom is 100% in charge), and it is her call on who gets to come hunt outside of the family. If I let 10% of the people that have asked me if they could come hunting over they years, we wouldn't have a WT one!!! That prediction isn't including all the people that have asked everyone else in the family!

Bottom line, if you have a nice place that is yours and you want the hunting to be enjoyable year in and year out, you have to be tight with handing out hunts!

Gig 'Em

Ross Cravens
Class of '10

"From the outside looking in, you can't understand it. And from the inside looking out, you can't explain it."
Re: People looking for hunting invites... [Re: redchevy] #5389178 10/30/14 06:40 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
I invite people out to my place. Mostly dove hunts or hog hunts but still get turned down. Some people don't want to deal with work after the kill or work in general. My boy came out with me the other day and I spent the whole day cleaning the trailer from top to bottom. He helped. One of my buddies came over and he had a 20 something y/o young man with him. He made small talk and got into the hunting part. My buddy jumped on the tractor ans mowed around the house. This kid only watched as we worked. Had he picked up some beer cans or a broom even I might be able to remember what he was asking me. lol...

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: People looking for hunting invites... [Re: stxranchman] #5389301 10/30/14 07:38 PM
K
KG68 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Originally Posted By: KG68

Well dang buddy just how big of a blind do need? angel

I feel like one of these would get you an invite or two stx. grin

Re: People looking for hunting invites... [Re: redchevy] #5389314 10/30/14 07:45 PM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
I don't have any friends, so no one ever ask to go with me....maybe you can try being like me and you wouldn't have this problem grin

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: People looking for hunting invites... [Re: txshntr] #5389356 10/30/14 08:08 PM
D
dawaba Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: txshntr
I don't have any friends, so no one ever ask to go with me....maybe you can try being like me and you wouldn't have this problem grin

Ha! I'm an opinionated introvert. I drink very little, talk very little, read a whole lot, and am asleep by nine o'clock. Most normal people get tired of my society in a hurry.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple.....and wrong." H. L. Mencken
Re: People looking for hunting invites... [Re: dawaba] #5389360 10/30/14 08:10 PM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: dawaba
Originally Posted By: txshntr

Ha! I'm an opinionated introvert. I drink very little, talk very little, read a whole lot, and am asleep by nine o'clock. Most normal people get tired of my society in a hurry.

rofl Opinionated introvert...isn't that an oxymoron?

You would get along great on a trip with SniperRab off here. He is the same way

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: People looking for hunting invites... [Re: redchevy] #5389363 10/30/14 08:12 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Hehe. Maybe thats why people turn my invites down.

Nevermind My dad just said he was going but I'm going to say "Lucky nobody said yes to opening day" Dad just invited himself so somebody would have to had hunt from a tree limb.

Last edited by hook_n_line; 10/30/14 08:20 PM.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: People looking for hunting invites... [Re: redchevy] #5389418 10/30/14 08:48 PM
R
redfred Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
I have a co-worker that has been leasing the same property for about 6 years. He has turned it into a really nice place to hunt. He asked me and another of our co-workers out to hog hunt last year. I helped him with trimming trees, working on his Jeep, and filling feeders. Carl just showed up and went out to a blind, hunted for a while, and then came back to camp and drank beer til the wee hours. The next day, my friend and I cleared some more shooting lanes and checked all the fence lines. Carl just sat in camp and complained that there weren't any hogs.
This year, my friend invited me to buy into the lease. He said there are a few rules: Only legal deer, keep the place clean, you are responsible for your own area, and DO NOT invite Carl!

Alcohol,Tobacco, and Firearms. Should not be a government bureau. Should be a department store.
Re: People looking for hunting invites... [Re: redchevy] #5389555 10/30/14 09:49 PM
M
MoBettaHuntR Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
People take advantage of people end of story. You have to be okay with the give and take and know when to say NO.Can be hard and even then they don't listen. Owning land is more responsibility than most homeowners and average hunters can understand. The blood sweat and tears that go into a family ranch cannot be explained or translated to those who are not a part of have never been a part of one. Plus most folks these day think laziness=coolness and that shooting a deer every year makes you tough or country or some CHIT.

-Those who say money can't buy happiness never bought a dog.

Re: People looking for hunting invites... [Re: redchevy] #5389620 10/30/14 10:29 PM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I had a ranch neighbor that had a nice place, but she only had open ground. Her SiL never got to hunt, so I invited him to bow hunt over here once. After that he just showed up a lot and hoped that he had become a regular. I was wise to that, so it didn't happen. Once folks are invited once, it seems that they somehow become family.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: People looking for hunting invites... [Re: redchevy] #5391235 10/31/14 08:11 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
I have never in my life asked or expected to hunt somewhere for free but have been invited to hunt many times and by quite a few members on here but have only went on a few hunts bc I just haven't had the time. I go into a hunt with no expectations and am happy to just be in the woods and be meeting good people. When I first got to Texas I had no idea how big deer hunting and management was. I tried to find a place to hunt but couldn't and stumbled across hunting with soldiers thinking maybe I can get in on a discounted hunt which ended up being absolutely free and I have donated to the program in return. My wife's best friends dad has a couple hundred acres in Lometa and tells me every year I am welcome to come out and hunt all I want but I feel weird about calling and asking without doing something in return for him. Being in the Military I have heard many stories of soldiers using their service to get things such as hunts and It pisses me off. I know how much work, money, and time people put into their land and they deserve to do with it as they want.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide