Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
coyote trapper / cat trapper ?? need some help #5378135 10/24/14 11:08 PM
daniel1381 Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
well since my tags are filled for deer im wanna start trapping yotes/cats.. can someone point me in the right direction and what to buy and how to setup traps ? I know we have a good population of yotes on property and got a few pics of a bobcat.. thanks for any help since my lease is 20 mins from my house checking traps in am or pm will not be a issue.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bridger-1-75-Reg...=item566ac9fa6a

Last edited by daniel1381; 10/24/14 11:12 PM.

"From my cold dead hands"

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain - and most fools do."

Benjamin Franklin

Re: coyote trapper / cat trapper ?? need some help [Re: daniel1381] #5378653 10/25/14 04:06 AM
P
PWT Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
*For the record I'm new to this* but check out Trapperman.com, search the archives, you can learn a lot there. I started trapping coons using DP's and decided to dedicate some time to the K9's and/or cats. I have some traps and might or might not set some this fall/winter (depending on how deer season goes). In my opinion, practice and preparation will go along way, as you can educate every dog and cat on your property if you're doing it wrong. That link you put looks like a good kit get going in the right direction. Good Luck!

Re: coyote trapper / cat trapper ?? need some help [Re: daniel1381] #5378884 10/25/14 01:10 PM
T
Texaswats Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
Those bridger 1.75 will work. But might pay off to use a #2 at least, anything with a 6" jaw spread or bigger. I like mb 650s.

Re: coyote trapper / cat trapper ?? need some help [Re: daniel1381] #5378892 10/25/14 01:17 PM
T
Texaswats Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
Also, very important part of trapping is your anchoring system. Try to pick up some if these...

They work like this...

I use these earth anchors or a 'drag' with let's the animal tangle itself in brush or trees away from the trap site.

Re: coyote trapper / cat trapper ?? need some help [Re: daniel1381] #5378900 10/25/14 01:22 PM
daniel1381 Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
after watching some you tube vids..thought about picking up # 3 traps.. also he was using those anchors I will be picking those up as well... how do you know where to set traps ?? my area im hunting is a power line and a watering tank. figured trapping would be better than calling.

Benjamin Franklin

Re: coyote trapper / cat trapper ?? need some help [Re: daniel1381] #5378919 10/25/14 01:30 PM
daniel1381 Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
also how do I keep deer and hogs away from the traps??

Benjamin Franklin

Re: coyote trapper / cat trapper ?? need some help [Re: daniel1381] #5380150 10/26/14 01:58 PM
T
Txcatman1 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
A good rule is to set on sign, don't try to make the animal come to you, put it where the animal already is, find tracks and scat, set a trap on top of a coyote track and there's a good chance your going up have an encounter, don't worry about deer or hogs

Texas fur and skull buyer
Greg Novak
Gnovakswa@gmail.com
361-793-6706
Re: coyote trapper / cat trapper ?? need some help [Re: daniel1381] #5383605 10/28/14 02:40 AM
J
Javelin225ho Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J
those wolf fang anchors are awesome, we use 8 inch arrowheads for our tactical comm equipment, those jokers will hold good.

Re: coyote trapper / cat trapper ?? need some help [Re: daniel1381] #5383999 10/28/14 10:33 AM
T
tannerlst Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
I got some attractant u can have bro ... Made for cats mostly . I'll dig it up it's some skunky smelling stuff , not the stuff u smoke ... Lmao

Re: coyote trapper / cat trapper ?? need some help [Re: daniel1381] #5388497 10/30/14 02:00 PM
T
Texaswats Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
Haha tannerlst that stuff may attract the yotes and cats too! On a serious note, a small amount of talcum powder can be a great cat attractant.

Re: coyote trapper / cat trapper ?? need some help [Re: daniel1381] #5388500 10/30/14 02:01 PM
daniel1381 Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
lol..crazy

Benjamin Franklin

Re: coyote trapper / cat trapper ?? need some help [Re: daniel1381] #5388764 10/30/14 03:40 PM
E
Erich Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
what are some good coyote and or bobcat set attractants for dirt hole sets? I'm learning, haven't caught my first coyote yet. not really targeting the bobcats, but I know there's a lot of them there.

I saw somewhere someone was using caster? do they mean caster oil? anything else that's relatively easy to acquire work? I can get some of the more specialized trapping scents, but I have to make a trip to a specialty store to get them. takes me a while. I will try meat scraps in the hole as well. usually always some deer or hog scraps around camp from gutting & skinning.

Outdoorsman
Re: coyote trapper / cat trapper ?? need some help [Re: daniel1381] #5388964 10/30/14 05:08 PM
T
TFuller Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
T
I've had pretty good luck using feathers. Put a few down the hole and spread just a few around. They serve as "eye catchers" more than anything.

Re: coyote trapper / cat trapper ?? need some help [Re: Erich] #5389090 10/30/14 06:01 PM
Y
yanta61 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Y
Originally Posted By: Erich
what are some good coyote and or bobcat set attractants for dirt hole sets? I'm learning, haven't caught my first coyote yet. not really targeting the bobcats, but I know there's a lot of them there.

I saw somewhere someone was using caster? do they mean caster oil? anything else that's relatively easy to acquire work? I can get some of the more specialized trapping scents, but I have to make a trip to a specialty store to get them. takes me a while. I will try meat scraps in the hole as well. usually always some deer or hog scraps around camp from gutting & skinning.

When trappers refer to caster they are talking about Beaver castor.... Apparently everything like the smell of it and its in most of your commercial baits. I caught a few coyotes last year with some chunks of rabbit meat in the hole and some skunk essence on the backer..

Anthony

Twisted Horn Taxidermy
www.facebook.com/TwistedHornTaxidermy
Re: coyote trapper / cat trapper ?? need some help [Re: daniel1381] #5397895 11/04/14 10:22 AM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Craven's just mice. Google "just mice". After you get a cat use the bobcat meat as bait for bobcats. I can't say they eat it but they are sure attracted to it. If your using foothold traps don't worry about deer and such. They pull out with no injury, providing your using a bobcat sized trap and not something designed for a bear.

Re: coyote trapper / cat trapper ?? need some help [Re: daniel1381] #5399610 11/05/14 07:03 AM
G
gtowncowboy Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
G
What is the most humane ways to dispatch coon, beaver, coyote, bobcat and weasel/mink without damaging the fur? I'm referring to animals caught in foothold traps.

Re: coyote trapper / cat trapper ?? need some help [Re: gtowncowboy] #5399624 11/05/14 07:40 AM
D
davvy Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
Originally Posted By: gtowncowboy
What is the most humane ways to dispatch coon, beaver, coyote, bobcat and weasel/mink without damaging the fur? I'm referring to animals caught in foothold traps.

back in Alaska I used to carry an ax handle. Wolves and wolverine got a bullet but yotes, lynx, fox and what not got a single blow to the base of the scull.
if you're not comfortable getting that close then use a 22.

Re: coyote trapper / cat trapper ?? need some help [Re: daniel1381] #5399712 11/05/14 12:03 PM
D
DesertHunting Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Daniel, go with the bridger #3. Trapping is a game of inches, so I buy into the bigger trap theory.

Check out http://www.pcsoutdoors.com/bridgercoiltrap.aspx . You can get a dozen traps for $13 dollars more than the eBay kit. Then all you need is a few items more and you're set to get started. For pan covers, go to a fabric store and get you a good bit of denim fabric, cut a piece to use as a drop cloth (you'll use this to kneel on) and use the rest as pan covers; cut in squares big enough to cover the entire inside area of the trap. Cut a slit in one side and place the slit over your dog. Tuck the corners in under the jaws.

Everything else you need you might have in your garage already. If you have a masons hammer you can do away with the spade. IMO, get a small sifter, they are easier to pack up and carry. If you walk any traps in to areas, you want everything as light and portable as you can get it.

Those fang anchors are great and inexpensive, get the pre made kits and you won't have to buy all the tools to make your own.

Get some 3/4 or 1" PVC pipe (for coyotes mostly). Cut it into 6-8" pieces with a 45 on one end. These will be your bait holders. If you're trapping on a power line right of way, it's probably not uncommon to come across things that look like this so they won't be too out of place, plus it gets a yote's attention and then he gets curious. Drive these in the ground where you would normally place your bait in reference to your trap, place the bait in the pipe, and wa-la, a no dig hole set.

Oh, if you're all about convenience like me, get some full metal jacket trap dip. No boiling, no dying, no waxing needed. Clean any shipping oils off the traps if you buy new ones and you're ready to dip traps. The stuff is easy and fast. Clean traps to preference, dip, hang to dry, then start hammerin steel in the ground. Make sure your dip stays clean, get all fur, blood and debris off your traps before dipping used traps; a good wire brush can do this.

Get some bobcat urine. You can't totally keep your sent off a set, so cover it up. Get a plastic bottle with some sort of small opening in the cap. As the last step, once you have the set like you want it, sprinkle the urine liberally all over you trap and the area of your set. This serves two purposes, one, covers your sent and any sent the trap and equipment might still have on it, two, is a natural sent lure.

If you use meat from kills, deer liver works best for me on both cats and yotes, add some baking soda (sodium bicarbonate), if you keep it cool, say in the bed of your truck all winter, it will stay good and effective. If it gets too rancid, even a coyote won't touch it.

I know this doesn't sound civilized, but I don't care...pick up every cat and yote turd you come across. For Bobcats I use two baits, liver or turds and urine. With yotes I'll place a turd in the area of the set just for added lure. And always set where you find these free baits. Trapping is like real estate...location, location, location.

There is a whole lot more that could go into this post, but this will get you started. Besides, if you ask 100 trappers how to trap, you'll get 110 different answers.

Oh, and probably the most important part I left out, bedding your trap. Make sure the trap does not move at all once bedded. With the bridgers, what I have found to work good is to sift some dirt back into your trap bed before you place the trap. Tamp it down by hand till its firm. Press the trap down into that and ensure that it does not move then cover your trap. If a yote's toenail moves the trap, you won't catch him. And don't go jacking with your traps if you see sign of visitation and your trap is still set without being uncovered or moved. They'll be back.

Most of all, enjoy yourself! Good luck and happy trappin'!

Re: coyote trapper / cat trapper ?? need some help [Re: davvy] #5399716 11/05/14 12:08 PM
D
DesertHunting Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: davvy
Originally Posted By: gtowncowboy

back in Alaska I used to carry an ax handle. Wolves and wolverine got a bullet but yotes, lynx, fox and what not got a single blow to the base of the scull.
if you're not comfortable getting that close then use a 22.

The ax handle works great.

Re: coyote trapper / cat trapper ?? need some help [Re: yanta61] #5399721 11/05/14 12:10 PM
D
DesertHunting Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: yanta61
Originally Posted By: Erich

When trappers refer to caster they are talking about Beaver castor.... Apparently everything like the smell of it and its in most of your commercial baits. I caught a few coyotes last year with some chunks of rabbit meat in the hole and some skunk essence on the backer..

Bobcats love beaver caster.

Re: coyote trapper / cat trapper ?? need some help [Re: Txcatman1] #5399727 11/05/14 12:15 PM
D
DesertHunting Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: Txcatman1
A good rule is to set on sign, don't try to make the animal come to you, put it where the animal already is, find tracks and scat, set a trap on top of a coyote track and there's a good chance your going up have an encounter, don't worry about deer or hogs

This^^^

Don't expect to pull a yote more than 4-6' off their intended path.

Re: coyote trapper / cat trapper ?? need some help [Re: davvy] #5399831 11/05/14 01:42 PM
T
Txcatman1 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Great info there desert! But one thing that I somewhat do a little different Is concentrate my urine to a 2 to 3 in spot right by the dirt hole on a tuft o grass or a was I grass in the hole, where I want the animal to work, in my first couple years of trapping I would do as you stated but would come to traps with tracks all around the trap without any pattern at all, I've had better luck over the years with a concentrated squirt of urine than a broadcast use but great info all around buddy

Texas fur and skull buyer
Greg Novak
Gnovakswa@gmail.com
361-793-6706
Re: coyote trapper / cat trapper ?? need some help [Re: daniel1381] #5399854 11/05/14 01:55 PM
D
DesertHunting Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Thanks.

I didn't state it, but I do as you said as well. On coyote sets in the spring, I'll concentrate it in one spot then add the bobcat urine as just a sprinkling as a cover sent on the set. Just in case I got too sloppy. On bobcat sets I make a fake scrape pile in some scat and drown it in bobcat urine, and usually don't worry about sprinkling the trap.

I'll have to go to town and transfer some pics, my favorite trap pic was of a bobcat I caught on liver bait. Either I had the pan tension too tight or that cat was that excited to find my bait, but I caught him by both front feet in a Bridger #3.

Re: coyote trapper / cat trapper ?? need some help [Re: daniel1381] #5404346 11/07/14 05:10 AM
daniel1381 Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
So coyote come to bobcat urine?

Benjamin Franklin

Re: coyote trapper / cat trapper ?? need some help [Re: daniel1381] #5406236 11/08/14 05:10 AM
D
DesertHunting Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Not exclusively. Get a well cleaned out baby oil bottle with the flip up lid spout, or any plastic bottle with type of lid, so you can sprinkle the cat urine as a cover scent.

But yes as well, yotes are dogs, they will check out any natural scent that peeks their curiosity.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide