Print Thread
Youth Weekend #5375566 10/23/14 03:02 PM
J
JDM Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
J
I'm taking a friends son out this weekend in an attempt to get him his first deer. We'll be hunting on MLD land in Lamar Co. If he shoots a doe, do I need to use a MLD tag or during youth weekend are does acceptable even in an otherwise restricted doe county?

Re: Youth Weekend [Re: JDM] #5375573 10/23/14 03:07 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
On MLD managed land a MLD antlerless tag will have to be used.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Youth Weekend [Re: stxranchman] #5375576 10/23/14 03:08 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
On MLD managed land a MLD antlerless tag will have to be used.

x2

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Youth Weekend [Re: JDM] #5375652 10/23/14 03:54 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
And DO NOT waste a tag from his license that is not needed when using a MLD tag. This is a very common mistake.

Simply put, your bag limit includes whatever tags you have on your license for the normal county bag limit, plus whatever you can take with MLD tags. For example, if the county limit for doe is two, and you have two MLD tags, you could take four doe.

Granted, this probably does apply to a guest hunter. But there may be others who read this thread that would appreciate the information.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Youth Weekend [Re: JDM] #5375664 10/23/14 04:00 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
Good luck! We'll be trying to get my niece, and another friend's grandson, their first deer (any for her, buck for him) this weekend as well.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Youth Weekend [Re: JDM] #5375675 10/23/14 04:03 PM
J
JDM Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
J
Thanks for the responses. I have received and accepted my harvest recommendation for this year but still haven't received the paper tags in the mail. How would I proceed assuming they don't arrive by tomorrow when I leave?

Re: Youth Weekend [Re: JDM] #5375881 10/23/14 05:50 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Did you go on-line on TWIMS to accept them? If you don't have them then I would check with my TPWD biologist, but thinking if you don't have them you are out of luck for this weekend for a doe.

Re: Youth Weekend [Re: Texas Dan] #5375886 10/23/14 05:53 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
And DO NOT waste a tag from his license that is not needed when using a MLD tag. This is a very common mistake.

Simply put, your bag limit includes whatever tags you have on your license for the normal county bag limit, plus whatever you can take with MLD tags. For example, if the county limit for doe is two, and you have two MLD tags, you could take four doe.

Granted, this probably does apply to a guest hunter. But there may be others who read this thread that would appreciate the information.

Wrong. If you are on MLD then you are not allowed to use your regular tags on the same ranch. You are on MLD and their harvest recommendations. You can only use one, either MLD or regular tags not both combined. Unless you hunt on another piece of property in that county that is not under MLD.

Re: Youth Weekend [Re: JDM] #5375925 10/23/14 06:24 PM
J
JDM Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
J
My tags came in today so things are looking up. Thanks again for all of the information on this and other threads. I'm more of a lurker than a poster.

Re: Youth Weekend [Re: stxranchman] #5376034 10/23/14 07:59 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T

Wrong. If you are on MLD then you are not allowed to use your regular tags on the same ranch. You are on MLD and their harvest recommendations. You can only use one, either MLD or regular tags not both combined. Unless you hunt on another piece of property in that county that is not under MLD.

I think you missed my point.

You can put both your MLD tag and license tag on a deer taken on a MLD property if you wish, but only the MLD tag is needed. You are wasting a license tag when you do this. Save your license tags for those places you hunt that are not under a MLD program.

Again, my point was that MLD tags can be used to extend your bag limits in a given county.

Still, your comments bring up another point. I thought you can only use MLD tags on doe taken on a MLD property. Your doe harvest is limited by the number of permits you have, meaning license tags alone cannot be used.

Re: Youth Weekend [Re: Texas Dan] #5376326 10/23/14 10:48 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

You can put both your MLD tag and license tag on a deer taken on a MLD property if you wish, but only the MLD tag is needed. You are wasting a license tag when you do this. Save your license tags for those places you hunt that are not under a MLD program.

Again, my point was that MLD tags can be used to extend your bag limits in a given county.

Still, your comments bring up another point. I thought you can only use MLD tags on doe taken on a MLD property. Your doe harvest is limited by the number of permits you have, meaning license tags alone cannot be used.

You need to read the rules and regs as you are wrong. You can not use a regular tag on a deer on an MLD III managed ranch. Read the regs. MLD tags can extend your tags but you can not use your regular tags on any MLD III ranch and your regular tags are not needed.

Re: Youth Weekend [Re: stxranchman] #5376369 10/23/14 11:20 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T

You need to read the rules and regs as you are wrong. You can not use a regular tag on a deer on an MLD III managed ranch. Read the regs. MLD tags can extend your tags but you can not use your regular tags on any MLD III ranch and your regular tags are not needed.

Let me try again.

You break no laws by attaching your license tag to a deer that has already been tagged with a MLD tag. However, you have now wasted it by attaching it to a deer when it is not needed.

I made it clear earlier that a license tag alone cannot be used on MLD property.

Again, my point was to alert hunters not to use BOTH tags on MLD property, as the point was originally told to me by TPWD staff.

Save your license tags for hunts on other, non-MLD properties.

Re: Youth Weekend [Re: Texas Dan] #5376582 10/24/14 01:21 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

Let me try again.

You break no laws by attaching your license tag to a deer that has already been tagged with a MLD tag. However, you have now wasted it by attaching it to a deer when it is not needed.

I made it clear earlier that a license tag alone cannot be used on MLD property.

Again, my point was to alert hunters not to use BOTH tags on MLD property, as the point was originally told to me by TPWD staff.

Save your license tags for hunts on other, non-MLD properties.

Let me try it this way. If you are on and MLD ranch with 15 tags. You use your 15 MLD and your 5 regular tags on 5 of those MLD deer. You get checked by the GW later on, how are you going to explain you used 5 tags in a 4 deer county? How are you going to fill out the back of your license? How are you going to explain the GW that you used those 5 tags on MLD deer? Where is your proof and how would you prove it?
Years ago you used to have to use a regular license tag and an MLD tag. I think 2003 was the last year. I know on ADCP permits in the early 90's you had to use a regular tag and the ADCP permit.

Re: Youth Weekend [Re: stxranchman] #5376640 10/24/14 01:48 AM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T

Let me try it this way. If you are on and MLD ranch with 15 tags. You use your 15 MLD and your 5 regular tags on 5 of those MLD deer. You get checked by the GW later on, how are you going to explain you used 5 tags in a 4 deer county? How are you going to fill out the back of your license? How are you going to explain the GW that you used those 5 tags on MLD deer? Where is your proof and how would you prove it?
Years ago you used to have to use a regular license tag and an MLD tag. I think 2003 was the last year. I know on ADCP permits in the early 90's you had to use a regular tag and the ADCP permit.

If you get checked by an officer, he can only check the deer you have and the back of your license to verify you recorded each harvest for each missing tag. If you screwed up and combined a license tag with a MLD tag, you also wasted an entry on the back of your license since MLD harvest should recorded separately from your license.

It's a mistake that was brought to my attention when asking a TPWD official about common mistakes to mention during Hunter Education classes. Again, the point was to aid hunters who might be new to MLD hunting by helping them avoid wasting their license tags. I can see hunters who have only had license tags in the past thinking they should continue using them in combination with their new MLD permits.

Re: Youth Weekend [Re: Texas Dan] #5376651 10/24/14 01:55 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

If you get checked by an officer, he can only check the deer you have and the back of your license to verify you recorded each harvest for each missing tag. If you screwed up and combined a license tag with a MLD tag, you also wasted an entry on the back of your license since MLD harvest should recorded separately from your license.

It's a mistake that was brought to my attention when asking a TPWD official about common mistakes to mention during Hunter Education classes. Again, the point was to keep hunters who might be new to MLD hunting to avoid wasting their license tags. I can see hunters who have only had license tags in the past thinking they should continue using them in combination with their new MLD permits.

Again bang you are stopped next year in turkey season. If you have filled out the info on the back for 5 deer in a county that only allows 2 bucks(AR) and no does without MLD permit and you logged in 3 bucks and 2 does in that county. How are you going to explain that you used them on MLD deer when they are not needed? bang All the GW knows is you killed extra deer based on your log.

Re: Youth Weekend [Re: stxranchman] #5377015 10/24/14 11:42 AM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
[quote=Texas Dan][quote=stxranchman]Again bang you are stopped next year in turkey season. If you have filled out the info on the back for 5 deer in a county that only allows 2 bucks(AR) and no does without MLD permit and you logged in 3 bucks and 2 does in that county. How are you going to explain that you used them on MLD deer when they are not needed? bang All the GW knows is you killed extra deer based on your log.

In addition to adding a license tag to a MLD permit, those who are new to the program may also make the mistake of assuming their MLD harvests apply towards the county limit. In doing so, their total harvest doesn't exceed what they also incorrectly record on the back of their license. If an officer asks them about doe taken, they would just refer him to the MLD tag they also used on the deer.

Again, their incorrect assumption is that MLD harvests apply towards their county limit. We both know all MLD harvests are considered "off the table" and do not apply when hunting other non-MLD property in the same county, or other counties for that matter.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide