Print Thread
Photon XT Preview #5370930 10/21/14 12:58 AM
C
ccreyeder Online Content OP
Bird Dog
OP Online Content
Bird Dog
C
Finally got some real world video through my new Photon XT. Had some friends that wanted to see what it looked like, so I thought I would share with ya'll as well.

First of all, it is definitely true what they say about the video not being as clear as the actual image. Especially after having to convert the raw video to a format that my video editor could use and then uploading it to youtube. Although it appears dark, I tell you with the UNV 20IR on, the view at 50ish yards was EXCELLENT, at 100 yrds was VERY GOOD, and at 200, was useable.

This past Sat night, went out to one of our feeders that a sounder of a dozen + has been hitting with regularity. Of course, since I was trying to video, only one lone hog eventually showed up. The night was beautiful. Moonless, clear skies, the stars were brilliant, saw some shooting stars, temp in the 60s.. I could have stayed out all night just enjoying mother nature. Be sure to watch the "bloopers" at about 10 seconds after the end of the video to see how my wife went from fun loving, happy to be there, to tired and grouchy lol.. She kept complaining that she needed to go to the bathroom... funny how women dont find relieving themselves out in the woods as liberating as men do lmao...

Anyway, I was just about to call it a night when a lone hog showed up. I was shooting my new 6.8 upper, loaded with Hornady 110 gr VMax. I knew it wasnt ideal for hogs, but it was all that I could get my hands on when I sighted it in. First shot put it down like a sack of potatoes, then it started to move around, put another round in it and thought it was down for the count. Turn off the recorder and about to get down and, like a zombie, gets up again and starts heading for the woods. Lobbed a couple more rounds at it, but not sure I hit it. Tracked a pretty good blood trail all the way to the tree line and lost it frown

I'll do a review of it after I have used it a couple more times, but I have to say, especially for the price, it is very good and except for a few minor details, I am liking it a lot so far.

Re: Photon XT Preview [Re: ccreyeder] #5372617 10/22/14 01:15 AM
L
LastHurrah Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
L
Nice video...Can't believe he didn't dirt nap after those shots.

Re: Photon XT Preview [Re: LastHurrah] #5373374 10/22/14 01:31 PM
C
ccreyeder Online Content OP
Bird Dog
OP Online Content
Bird Dog
C
Originally Posted By: LastHurrah
Nice video...Can't believe he didn't dirt nap after those shots.

Thanks! I can't believe I couldn't find him at least. Oh well, next time!

Re: Photon XT Preview [Re: ccreyeder] #5374059 10/22/14 07:01 PM
S
Shadow357x2 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
Well After a long wait mine is scheduled to be delivered by fedex tomorrow. Good job with the vid.

Re: Photon XT Preview [Re: ccreyeder] #5375755 10/23/14 04:49 PM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Excellent job on the vid! up Easy on that safety... grin

I enjoyed the bloopers. Your wife is a good sport...

I think you have a bad video out cable. Check back with Tyler. You will be amazed at the difference... banana

Keep up the good work. Looking forward to more of your vids! clap

Re: Photon XT Preview [Re: ccreyeder] #5375763 10/23/14 04:54 PM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Just a quick note for those looking to purchase this scope...

The operators manual has some errors and I thought it might help to offer a heads up.

1) It talks about an external power port in a couple of places. Quit looking, the external power port was dropped on this model.

2) The instructions for zeroing explain a process about two reticles and such. There are not two reticles. You get a different reticle than the one you have chosen when in the zeroing firmware. When you move the X position to a more positive number, the POI moves right. When you move the Y position to a more positive number, the POI moves down. When you make your change, hold the button on the side of the scope in for a couple of seconds to store your new setting.

Otherwise, the scope has a very nice night time sight picture for the money. The flashing some of you notice during the day is the sensor being overdriven.

Would definitely reccomend an aftermarket IR such as the UNV 20 IR. The UNV MDVR id a nice addition also.

Hope this helps... cheers

Last edited by dfwroadkill; 10/23/14 04:58 PM.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2019 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide