Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD #5358980 10/14/14 10:24 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
N
Which was 80% of its total herd. At least 5 cases of CWD of deer taken by hunters outside the confines of the deer farm have been traced to the farm, which sold animals to HF "preserves" and other ranches for hunting. As there are almost certainly more, Iowa officials have responded with greatly increased CWD surveillance, fearing an even more widespread CWD outbreak/crisis. The farm's herd was destroyed and its owners have agreed to keep up the 8 foot fence surrounding the property for at least five years.

-Field and Stream report just released

Thanks a lot HF deer farming.

Last edited by Nogalus Prairie; 10/14/14 10:24 AM.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5358988 10/14/14 10:39 AM
8pointdrop Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Not taking sides but every story has 2 of them.

Cliff notes:
Disease found on farm 2 years ago, government would NOT allow depopulation of herd until now.

Owners sues for compensation and will receive near 1 million.

Public upset government allowed disease to fester that long.

The first case of CWD in Iowa was found in 2012 on a hunting preserve in the southeastern part of the state. In that case, it was determined the CWD-positive mature buck had been transferred to the hunting preserve from the deer farm in north-central Iowa.

Subsequent testing found CWD at the deer farm. The farm was placed under quarantine, but the owners sued for compensation.

The litigation prevented the farm from being depopulated of deer until August this year. Test results over the last month showed 80% of the deer herd was CWD-positive.

The deer farm owners will receive $917,100 in compensation from the U.S. Department of Agriculture, according to Iowa officials. The money is from federal tax dollars and listed under federal indemnity funding.

The Iowa case has heightened frustrations among hunters and others regarding the inability of state and federal officials to clamp down on the disease.

"Delays due to litigation and lack of federal tax dollars to buy out this diseased herd placed the wild deer that belong to the people of the State of Iowa at great risk," said David Clausen of Amery, a veterinarian, hunter and former chairman of the Wisconsin Natural Resources Board.

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5358997 10/14/14 10:47 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
And how did this HF deer herd get CWD to start?

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5358999 10/14/14 10:50 AM
N
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
N
Yep, they sue and get compensation too. All the while increasing the risk with the delay. Don't really see that as another "side"-just more information.

Guess what? Do away with the deer farms and all your enforcement/lawsuit/compensation issues go away.

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD [Re: stxranchman] #5359004 10/14/14 10:53 AM
N
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: stxranchman

Who knows how it started? The point is not how it started but 1)artificially high deer concentrations cause more animals to be infected and 2)shipping infected deer to other places causes it to spread. Neither of which happen under natural conditions.

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5359005 10/14/14 10:58 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Who knows how it started? The point is not how it started but 1)artificially high deer concentrations cause more animals to be infected and 2)shipping infected deer to other places causes it to spread. Neither of which happen under natural conditions.

The deer do not "yard" up north in the winter months? It would be very important if this deer farms herd were infected by the deer outside his herd.
I'll take this as a one sided article against deer farms. Same as your stance on them.

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD [Re: stxranchman] #5359008 10/14/14 11:07 AM
N
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
N

The deer do not "yard" up north in the winter months? It would be very important if this deer farms herd were infected by the deer outside his herd.
I'll take this as a one sided article against deer farms. Same as your stance on them.

Take it as you wish of course. But these are facts. These facts show deer farming aids in both the # of deer infected and widespread transmission of CWD.

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5359015 10/14/14 11:13 AM
8pointdrop Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Yep, they sue and get compensation too. All the while increasing the risk with the delay. Don't really see that as another "side"-just more information.

Guess what? Do away with the deer farms and all your enforcement/lawsuit/compensation issues go away.

How is that not another side? Do some research on the story. State officials admitted the state didn't have the money in 2012 to deal with the problem, so they quarantined the farm until now.

Several groups of the public, from hunters to vets and ranchers, are outraged about how long it took to combat the problem.

Again I won't take sides here. I know you like HF debates but anyone can see keeping diseased animals in close quarters from 2 yrs is ridiculous.

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5359071 10/14/14 12:10 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
I'd have a hard time compensating them, that's what insurance should be for.

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5359103 10/14/14 12:35 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal

Take it as you wish of course. But these are facts. These facts show deer farming aids in both the # of deer infected and widespread transmission of CWD.

Your original post is highly slanted. An outside deer could of infected the herd. The majority of the herd became infected after no culling or killing was allowed for two years. I wonder what the original herd number was pre concentration camp?

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5359136 10/14/14 12:55 PM
N
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
N
An outside deer may have. More likely, another farm deer did-just like those from that farm infected deer at other farms. As was proven.

None of which changes facts #1 and #2 above.

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD [Re: rifleman] #5359141 10/14/14 12:59 PM
N
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: rifleman

Yeah I didn't really get that either. Didn't know it was government's job to insure deer farms for their losses-especially when they cause a bunch of other problems for the taxpayers to deal with.

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD [Re: stxranchman] #5359183 10/14/14 01:21 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W

According to 8points "cliff notes"

""The first case of CWD in Iowa was found in 2012 on a hunting preserve in the southeastern part of the state. In that case, it was determined the CWD-positive mature buck had been transferred to the hunting preserve from the deer farm in north-central Iowa.

Subsequent testing found CWD at the deer farm. The farm was placed under quarantine, but the owners sued for compensation.""

Sounds like it was at one point contained in HF's preserves(something I believe was said on here has never happened) and at some point, it got to the wild population.

You can bet your hat, that this will cause the Government to re-write some laws, to prevent litigation from allowing this again. I think the fed should sue the preserve for damaging a natural resource, if in fact they can prove those deer infected deer outside of the fence.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5359192 10/14/14 01:26 PM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
10 pages. Minimum.

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5359199 10/14/14 01:29 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: rifleman

Yeah I didn't really get that either. Didn't know it was government's job to insure deer farms for their losses-especially when they cause a bunch of other problems for the taxpayers to deal with.

More then likely it was tieing the hands of the owner from being able to cull, thus causing greater percentage of the herd lost.

Ironically EHD has caused more deaths in that region then CWD has by a factor of 100 if not more.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD [Re: Sneaky] #5359203 10/14/14 01:31 PM
8pointdrop Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: Sneaky
10 pages. Minimum.

10? You're being very conservative.
If we can spin this into a spike, AR, and black panther thread it would have all it needs to make it to 25 easy.

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD [Re: Sneaky] #5359204 10/14/14 01:31 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
10 pages. Minimum.

That's less than I would figure. But if it is a confirmed case, I think it should be some good discussion. I have read on here by "fellas in the know" that no case of CWD has been confirmed in a HF operation, that is if I recall correctly. I may have missed the context though, these threads tend to get heated, then logic and comprise seems to go out the window grin .

Dennis

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD [Re: Western] #5359233 10/14/14 01:45 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Western
10 pages. Minimum.

That's less than I would figure. But if it is a confirmed case, I think it should be some good discussion. I have read on here by "fellas in the know" that no case of CWD has been confirmed in a HF operation, that is if I recall correctly. I may have missed the context though, these threads tend to get heated, then logic and comprise seems to go out the window grin .

It makes you wonder how NM and CO have any deer or elk since they have had "know" CWD in the wild for over 30 years

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD [Re: Western] #5359241 10/14/14 01:48 PM
N
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
N

""The first case of CWD in Iowa was found in 2012 on a hunting preserve in the southeastern part of the state. In that case, it was determined the CWD-positive mature buck had been transferred to the hunting preserve from the deer farm in north-central Iowa.

Subsequent testing found CWD at the deer farm. The farm was placed under quarantine, but the owners sued for compensation.""

Sounds like it was at one point contained in HF's preserves(something I believe was said on here has never happened) and at some point, it got to the wild population.

You can bet your hat, that this will cause the Government to re-write some laws, to prevent litigation from allowing this again. I think the fed should sue the preserve for damaging a natural resource, if in fact they can prove those deer infected deer outside of the fence.

Yep. A big point has always been no one has proven CWD transmission from deer farms. This blows that out of the water. Many of the responses are a bunch of speculation. Yet, I am accused of being "one sided". Go figure.

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5359253 10/14/14 01:54 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
BOBO, I honestly haven't kept up with CWD in NM much, very little about CO., since I moved back to Texas. I do know that CWD has spread in Co, which doesn't really surprise me since they tend to migrate. Migration may also be a good thing as well. May give the range time to cleanse itself to a degree? Since Whitetail don't tend to migrate so.......

My landlord there had penned Elk, his daughter had a HF ranch outside Montrose and he kept a few bulls for her, iirc, they had to keep stringent records since Co DOW is so anal about CWD and HF operations.

Dennis

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5359299 10/14/14 02:16 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

Have not read the article, but my take is they are reporting the facts as they want to you the reader to view them. They want them read from their stance on deer farming. So the facts may not be the true facts as to what happened.

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5359302 10/14/14 02:17 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Point is wildlife numbers are at historic highs(excluding areas of Canadian wolf introduction)

CWD has been in CO for decades and possibly centuries in the wild and hasn't wiped out or had a significant impact on herd numbers.

EHD is much more effctive in mass deaths, but yet some cling to CWD as the apocalypse of our deer herds. Those that do are also ones championing against HF.... Yet they exclude the EHD death numbers and don't talk about it? Wonder why? Oh because EHD Rarely effects Breeders do to clean water sources and water treatment.

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5359324 10/14/14 02:29 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

Yep. A big point has always been no one has proven CWD transmission from deer farms. This blows that out of the water. Many of the responses are a bunch of speculation. Yet, I am accused of being "one sided". Go figure.

Can they prove that the deer moved had CWD before it was transferred or that it got CWD after the move? popcorn Again, can they prove that the preserve deer did not get it from wild deer? confused2

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5359334 10/14/14 02:32 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
"" Have not read the article, but my take is they are reporting the facts as they want to you the reader to view them. They want them read from their stance on deer farming. So the facts may not be the true facts as to what happened. STX""

STX That may be possible, I am not familiar with that magazines POV, I do know that if this did go to litigation, then the facts should readily available to the public and the writer of that article. If they did stray far from the "facts", they would likely have left themselves open to liable and they "generally", not always, try to avoid that.

It would be interesting to see a more formal article on that case. The "facts" will always appear slanted, depending on what side of the argument you fall on I suppose.

Dennis

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5359349 10/14/14 02:38 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
""Can they prove that the deer moved had CWD before it was transferred or that it got CWD after the move? popcorn Again, can they prove that the preserve deer did not get it from wild deer STX?"" confused2

The way I read just what is posted (in Red), they had proof 2012 deer in one Operation tested positive, deer moved to other operation, apparently infected that herd? At least that's how I read it.

There could have been infected deer at the 1st facility (outside the fence). Allot of speculation based on one article in a magazine, a legal write up or state biological write up would be interesting to see. One article can be a bit ambiguous.

Last edited by Western; 10/14/14 02:39 PM. Reason: spelling

Dennis

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide