Print Thread
What does my taxidermist need??? #5355867 10/12/14 09:38 PM
H
hovercat Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
H
I read what we hunters want from our mounts. What would the taxidermists here like to see from us hunters? What should we be doing so that the mount looks like it should?
How should we field dress and store/transport. For variety and assuming they are different, a buck shoulder mount, a bobcat and a duck.

Re: What does my taxidermist need??? [Re: hovercat] #5356056 10/12/14 10:57 PM
F
FF/Birdman Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
F
Hello all. I am a bird taxidermist and will tell you how to get a good bird for mounting. All birds are not the same. Some are young of the year and do not have as good of plumage as an older bird. After shooting your bird check to make sure it is not shot up too bad. Open the wings and tail to make sure they are not shot up too bad and are missing too many feathers or feather groups. Broken bones can usually be repaired. Missing feathers are harder to repair. Blood can also be cleaned by the taxidermist during the washing process. When in doubt bring the taxidermist an extra bird. Do not clean the bird, keep it whole and wrap in plastic and keep on ice until you can freeze it. Panty hose are alright but make sure it is then wrapped in plastic because freezer burn will ruin your mount. If you have a choice of freezers, one that is not frost free is better if you have a choice. Take it to the taxidermist in a timely manner. Good luck hunting. Call me for any further info or questions.

Re: What does my taxidermist need??? [Re: hovercat] #5356061 10/12/14 10:59 PM
B
Bulldog4949 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Deer= if you skin the animal leave enough hide for the taxi to do his thing. Don't cut it short. Place in freezer ASAP, or if no freezer is available get it on ice quickly especially if the weather is hot.

Bobcat=freeze whole. Do not cut, skin or gut this animal. Let your pose decide how your TAXI skins it. You should not cut on this cat at all.

Duck=freeze whole. Don't cut or skin. Again, let your taxi handle the skinning of it.

Just take good proper care of your animal. Hot weather will affect you animals quicker. Get them on ice or in the freezer as soon as you can.

JB European Mounts
Professional Skull Cleaning
(806) 683-3739
jbeuropeanmounts@yahoo.com
Re: What does my taxidermist need??? [Re: hovercat] #5356398 10/13/14 01:20 AM
T
Texan Taxidermy Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Everything that Bulldog said, plus a few other logistical items:

Have a good idea in mind what you want when you drop your animal off so we can get everything in order as far as ordering the correct forms. Nothing worse than not being able to get in touch with a client when it is time to order forms and they still haven't decided what they want.

Don't call us, we will call you when your mount is ready!! Calling once to check the status is usually ok, but unless the mount is still not done way past the estimated time you were quoted multiple calls, texts, etc. are very annoying and distracting. Trust me, you owe us money, not the other way around and we will call you when it is done!!

PICK UP YOUR MOUNT WHEN IT IS DONE!! It is usually the ones who keep calling that take the longest time to pick it up once it is done. Don't ask me why. Call and let us know if there is some reason you will not be able to complete payment of your mount for financial reasons. If you know ahead of time that money will be tight, finishing your mount can be delayed until you can afford it in most cases( speaking for myself here). Life happens, things come up which is understandable, just don't pass your financial troubles onto us!!

Re: What does my taxidermist need??? [Re: hovercat] #5357422 10/13/14 04:53 PM
M
MikeBillington Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
I could not have said it any better Texan Taxidermy. That was right on the money (no pun intended).

Evelyn and Michael Billington
BILLINGTON RANCH TAXIDERMY
Georgetown, TX
254-793-2120
www.billingtonranchtaxidermy.com
www.facebook.com/billingtonranchtaxidermy (LIKE us on FB)
Re: What does my taxidermist need??? [Re: hovercat] #5357486 10/13/14 05:24 PM
T
TonyinVA Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
I was surprised no one asked for any measurements (on large game)....eye to nose...neck...etc. when I go out of state my Taxidermist always want me to take a few key measurements, cape it leaving a lot of hide....and freeze it.

Last edited by TonyinVA; 10/13/14 08:00 PM.
Re: What does my taxidermist need??? [Re: hovercat] #5357679 10/13/14 07:12 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
It must be frustrating to be a good taxidermist. Meaning talented AND having work ready on time. Why? There are so many that give the profession a bad name.

I have used many taxidermists over the last 35 or so years. I actually do my research as best I can. I can name exactly 2 that have provided both components of quality work and timely delivery. I don't mind waiting -if they say it takes 9 months-a year that's fine. Still lots of bad taxidermy stories. I just got a call last week from a supposedly very reputable fish replica/taxidermy shop that my fish were ready. The work was started in Sept. 2013 and promised by December of 2013. I knew it wouldn't happen when they said it-but am counting on the quality to make the wait worth it.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: What does my taxidermist need??? [Re: Texan Taxidermy] #5359309 10/14/14 02:21 PM
T
TnT Taxidermist Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Texan Taxidermy

Have a good idea in mind what you want when you drop your animal off so we can get everything in order as far as ordering the correct forms. Nothing worse than not being able to get in touch with a client when it is time to order forms and they still haven't decided what they want.

Don't call us, we will call you when your mount is ready!! Calling once to check the status is usually ok, but unless the mount is still not done way past the estimated time you were quoted multiple calls, texts, etc. are very annoying and distracting. Trust me, you owe us money, not the other way around and we will call you when it is done!!

PICK UP YOUR MOUNT WHEN IT IS DONE!! It is usually the ones who keep calling that take the longest time to pick it up once it is done. Don't ask me why. Call and let us know if there is some reason you will not be able to complete payment of your mount for financial reasons. If you know ahead of time that money will be tight, finishing your mount can be delayed until you can afford it in most cases( speaking for myself here). Life happens, things come up which is understandable, just don't pass your financial troubles onto us!!

x2

Taylor Horton
830-367-3760
tntmounts@yahoo.com
www.tnttaxidermy.com
Outfitting/Taxidermy
Making live animals look dead
& dead animals look alive

Re: What does my taxidermist need??? [Re: TnT Taxidermist] #5367870 10/19/14 01:04 PM
R
rob valle Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: TnT Taxidermist
Originally Posted By: Texan Taxidermy

X3

x2

Rob Valle
www.hillcotaxidermy.com
Originally Posted by Texsun
The three things you need in life are a good doctor, lawyer and taxidermist.

Re: What does my taxidermist need??? [Re: hovercat] #5375096 10/23/14 04:49 AM
Ramsey Online Content
Pepe' Le Pew
Online Content
Pepe' Le Pew
Great info

Big Beckett!!
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide