Page 1 of 2 1 2
Ft. Hood Buck #5350242 10/09/14 02:41 PM
J
jmh004 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
J
The Killeen Daily Herald has an article in it today about a buck killed on Ft. Hood recently. It was a bow kill and the deer scored 185. Does anybody know anything about this deer? I'd love to see a picture of it.

Re: Ft. Hood Buck [Re: jmh004] #5350256 10/09/14 02:48 PM
K
Kenneth1977 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K

Re: Ft. Hood Buck [Re: jmh004] #5350270 10/09/14 02:54 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
I'd REALLY like to see the measurements. I stretched him as far as I could (via photo) and only got 172 gross. But that is a whale of a buck, score be dammed.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Ft. Hood Buck [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #5350281 10/09/14 03:00 PM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
I'd REALLY like to see the measurements. I stretched him as far as I could (via photo) and only got 172 gross. But that is a whale of a buck, score be dammed.

Horrible angle to measure from, but that is about what I came up with. Not doubting the score because measuring from a picture is difficult, especially at that angle

T 71"
M 33"
MB 50"
W 18"

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Ft. Hood Buck [Re: jmh004] #5350287 10/09/14 03:05 PM
J
jmh004 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
J
Yeah I probably should have searched a lil bit before posting. Thanks for the help though!

Re: Ft. Hood Buck [Re: txshntr] #5350294 10/09/14 03:08 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Originally Posted By: txshntr

Horrible angle to measure from, but that is about what I came up with. Not doubting the score because measuring from a picture is difficult, especially at that angle

T 71"
M 33"
MB 50"
W 18"
tHE BUCK WAS BIGGER THE LAST 2 YRS AND HAD MULTIPLE DROP TINES

Re: Ft. Hood Buck [Re: SapperTitan] #5350420 10/09/14 04:13 PM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: SapperTitan

T 71"
M 33"
MB 50"
W 18"

Why you yelling at me? grin

Deer is a moose. I am assuming they had some TC pics? Guess they did a good job keeping it quiet. Most folks can't keep a buck like that secret on public for that long.

Re: Ft. Hood Buck [Re: jmh004] #5350639 10/09/14 06:08 PM
D
Dave B Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Does a score really matter that much? That buck is going in the freezer with a possible mount on the wall. No need to argue about it. You all get to serious/offensive/defensive about these posts.
Meat on the table folks.

Last edited by Dave B; 10/09/14 06:12 PM.

Re: Ft. Hood Buck [Re: Dave B] #5350657 10/09/14 06:17 PM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: Dave B
Does a score really matter that much? That buck is going in the freezer with a possible mount on the wall. No need to argue about it. You all get to serious/offensive/defensive about these posts.
Meat on the table folks.

He dang sure didn't shoot that deer for the meat or the score. He shot it because it is a monster!!!

I don't think anyone was serious or offended about it. I enjoy trying to score deer and trying to see how close I can get. Don't think Sapper was offended...he didn't even shoot it and he knows me better than that cheers

Re: Ft. Hood Buck [Re: jmh004] #5350670 10/09/14 06:23 PM
F
FoxTrot Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
For what it is worth...I was at my taxidermist when he called him and sent him the pics of this deer. He told my taxi that he has 149" main frame and the rest was inches off of his kickers

Originally Posted By: Chief Joe
I avoid Dick's and hope they fold.
Re: Ft. Hood Buck [Re: jmh004] #5350684 10/09/14 06:32 PM
B
browning_3248 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
Now that the word is out, im 95% sure that I saw the same deer last year during the rut. The back of my parents place backs up to the property that borders the area he was killed in, about 3/4 of a mile as a crow flies. Nice deer for sure.

Re: Ft. Hood Buck [Re: txshntr] #5350767 10/09/14 07:18 PM
D
Dave B Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Meat on the table folks.

He dang sure didn't shoot that deer for the meat or the score. He shot it because it is a monster!!!

I don't think anyone was serious or offended about it. I enjoy trying to score deer and trying to see how close I can get. Don't think Sapper was offended...he didn't even shoot it and he knows me better than that cheers

Never said anything about Sapper in my post. Once again txshntr looking for a fight as you always do. So you are saying this hunter is going to waste the meat for a score and a wall hanger? Quote from you, "He shot it because it is a monster!!!" Looks like good eating to me. I harvest deer for the food not to be the king of deer hunting and to brag on the THF. Maybe one day young man when you are my age you will understand that.

Re: Ft. Hood Buck [Re: Dave B] #5350795 10/09/14 07:39 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
Meat on the table folks.

I just don't like people that openly try to insult my intelligence. If you're going to put a number to it, be accurate and truthful about it. If you shoot a deer that scored 128 3/8 and you call him 130, I can live with that. If you catch a 5lb 3oz bass and he's a '6' pounder, so be it. But if you try to tell me your wimpy Hill Country eight pointer (of which I've probably killed 10 in my life) miraculously scores 150, I'm not giving you a pass.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Ft. Hood Buck [Re: Dave B] #5350829 10/09/14 08:03 PM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Meat on the table folks.

Never said anything about Sapper in my post. Once again txshntr looking for a fight as you always do. So you are saying this hunter is going to waste the meat for a score and a wall hanger? Quote from you, "He shot it because it is a monster!!!" Looks like good eating to me. I harvest deer for the food not to be the king of deer hunting and to brag on the THF. Maybe one day young man when you are my age you will understand that.

Damn buddy...when did I piss in your Cheerios? Didnt realize that I run around picking fights rofl

My apologies for assuming you were referring to Sapper and my post because I could see where it would look like one of us was offended or defensive or we were arguing and I didn't see any other post on this thread that you could be referring too. I was just trying to clarify that I wasn't and I didn't think he was either.

Wasn't trying to pick a fight with you are anyone else. I have no doubt he is going to eat it, was just saying he didn't pick that deer because he thought it looked tasty and didn't shoot it because he thought it would score some magical number. My guess is he shot it because it is a trophy and the fact it will eat well is a bonus. In a way, I was actually agreeing with you and simply clarifying I wasn't arguing...guess to you, that is starting a fight cheers

Also, since you have noticed me enough to see that I am always looking for a fight, you should be able to tell that I don't shoot deer to be king of the WT world or to brag on the THF. I pick the deer that gets me excited and could care less about score. I also hunt for meat, but at my young age, I have realized that there are better tasting deer in the woods than one that age and size and if I was picking a deer for a meal alone, it wouldn't be based on what is on his head.

Hope the rest of your day goes better my friend up

Re: Ft. Hood Buck [Re: jmh004] #5350882 10/09/14 08:28 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
It's the full moon I tell you.... duel

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Ft. Hood Buck [Re: Dave B] #5350983 10/09/14 09:19 PM
8pointdrop Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Meat on the table folks.

You blew that way out of proportion Dave!! Lil man wasn't looking for a fight.

So if you don't care at all about score, you say. Then it's reasonable for us to assume that if this buck walked out on your place trailing a 2 yo doe......you'd shoot the doe??

She's going to be WAY better for the table than any mature buck. If you answer yes to that, you're lying plain and simple.

Re: Ft. Hood Buck [Re: txshntr] #5351028 10/09/14 09:44 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S

T 71"
M 33"
MB 50"
W 18"

Deer is a moose. I am assuming they had some TC pics? Guess they did a good job keeping it quiet. Most folks can't keep a buck like that secret on public for that long.
Haha had caps lock on I guess hence the lower case t at the beginning of m sentence LOL. No offense taken and not sure why ole boy is so mad. Apparently there is a news story in the local news paper about the deer so I assume they somehow obtained a legit score. I couldn't care less on the score or age on that beast I'm slinging an arrow and I'm gonna eat him after I cape him and send him to Taxi. Here is a trail cam pics posted on another forum from the yr or two prior. Apparently 3-4 guys at a minimum were trying to get this buck for a couple yrs.

Re: Ft. Hood Buck [Re: stxranchman] #5351029 10/09/14 09:45 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
It affect mature buck and mature THF members

Re: Ft. Hood Buck [Re: SapperTitan] #5351032 10/09/14 09:47 PM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Holy moly...

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
It affect mature buck and mature THF members

Post mature....

Re: Ft. Hood Buck [Re: SapperTitan] #5351042 10/09/14 09:52 PM
K
KG68 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K

Haha had caps lock on I guess hence the lower case t at the beginning of m sentence LOL. No offense taken and not sure why ole boy is so mad. Apparently there is a news story in the local news paper about the deer so I assume they somehow obtained a legit score. I couldn't care less on the score or age on that beast I'm slinging an arrow and I'm gonna eat him after I cape him and send him to Taxi. Here is a trail cam pics posted on another forum from the yr or two prior. Apparently 3-4 guys at a minimum were trying to get this buck for a couple yrs.

[/quote]

Day-um eek2 Does the Army recruit fat bald headed old farts?

Re: Ft. Hood Buck [Re: jmh004] #5351054 10/09/14 10:00 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Kent it may be worth a try LOL.

Re: Ft. Hood Buck [Re: 8pointdrop] #5351073 10/09/14 10:14 PM
D
Dave B Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: 8pointdrop
Meat on the table folks.

You blew that way out of proportion Dave!! Lil man wasn't looking for a fight.

So if you don't care at all about score, you say. Then it's reasonable for us to assume that if this buck walked out on your place trailing a 2 yo doe......you'd shoot the doe??

She's going to be WAY better for the table than any mature buck. If you answer yes to that, you're lying plain and simple.

My wife would shoot the doe and I would shoot the buck since we are in the stand together 90% of the time. Wouldn't display it as a trophy. All eat the same if you know how to process them. Call me a liar if you wish. Been called worse in my life and most are true. HEHE! roflmao

Last edited by Dave B; 10/09/14 10:23 PM.

Re: Ft. Hood Buck [Re: Dave B] #5351101 10/09/14 10:34 PM
G
Grosvenor Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
Dang, testy around here today. Maybe everyone is just nervous about the big game at Kyle Field this weekend. Don't worry, Ags got this one!

Re: Ft. Hood Buck [Re: jmh004] #5351126 10/09/14 10:45 PM
8pointdrop Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Not trying to be a turd Dave just trying to prove a point. Wasn't calling you a lair and you proved you weren't, you said you'd shoot that buck..

cheers

Re: Ft. Hood Buck [Re: jmh004] #5351171 10/09/14 11:00 PM
P
PMK Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
it would make good chili and jerky whistle ... but uh, yeah, I'd shoot the buck and let the doe walk in hopes he had already "done" her for the future.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide