Forums46
Topics537,993
Posts9,731,518
Members87,053
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Smallest amount of land you would buy for hunting? [Re: mr. buck] #5324309 09/24/14 07:23 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Originally Posted By: mr. buck
this may be the most complicated question every posted on this forum. Lots of assumptions go into the question. What part of the state, are you looking to kill trophies, looking to kill numbers, shoot a deer every year or willing to take one every few years.
To me, if one is trophy hunting, it comes down to simple math.
As an example, lets take carrying capacity per 1000 acres, % of those deer that are mature bucks and you come up with lets just say 5 mature bucks or 1 per 200 acres. Under this scenario, assuming the neighbors are management minded as well, if I owned 200 acres I'd try and take a mature buck every year. If I owned 50 acres I think the right thing to do is take a mature buck every 4 years.
I dont' think anyone argues that theyre the states deer, but I also don't think that anyone would argue that if your area has a well balanced herd and neighbors are shooting the appropriate number of deer and your shooting numbers that exceed your carrying capacity that youre part of the problem.

If they were in fact mature 5yr old+ bucks why would it matter if that's all you were taking. Would also need the same to happen on the neighboring property's but lets just say they are doing the same and all young bucks 3yr olds maybe 4yr olds get a pass.

Re: Smallest amount of land you would buy for hunting? [Re: cameron00] #5324347 09/24/14 07:52 PM
R
RossCravens Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
Originally Posted By: cameron00
Originally Posted By: Twotoes
I live on 90 acres, about 50 acres are nicely wooded. The property has a deep seasonal creek bed through the woods. I have large landowner neighbors on two sides and a county road on one side. 90 acres doesn't sound like much until you start walking the fence lines looking for tracks, sheds, etc. Nothing wrong with smaller properties. I can sit in my house with binoculars and watch one of the feeders.

That's my dream. You're living my dream.

Give it over, you thieving rat.

X2

Gig 'Em

Ross Cravens
Class of '10

"From the outside looking in, you can't understand it. And from the inside looking out, you can't explain it."
Re: Smallest amount of land you would buy for hunting? [Re: Navasot] #5324515 09/24/14 09:27 PM
M
mr. buck Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
M
Originally Posted By: Navasot
Originally Posted By: mr. buck
this may be the most complicated question every posted on this forum. Lots of assumptions go into the question. What part of the state, are you looking to kill trophies, looking to kill numbers, shoot a deer every year or willing to take one every few years.
To me, if one is trophy hunting, it comes down to simple math.
As an example, lets take carrying capacity per 1000 acres, % of those deer that are mature bucks and you come up with lets just say 5 mature bucks or 1 per 200 acres. Under this scenario, assuming the neighbors are management minded as well, if I owned 200 acres I'd try and take a mature buck every year. If I owned 50 acres I think the right thing to do is take a mature buck every 4 years.
I dont' think anyone argues that theyre the states deer, but I also don't think that anyone would argue that if your area has a well balanced herd and neighbors are shooting the appropriate number of deer and your shooting numbers that exceed your carrying capacity that youre part of the problem.

I'm just saying if youre surrounded by a neighbor thats 1600 acres and youre 400 acres, that if the carrying capacity indicates theres an average of 1 mature buck per 400 acres, the right thing to do is for you to only take one and them to take 4. but thats a very generic deer density admittedly

If they were in fact mature 5yr old+ bucks why would it matter if that's all you were taking. Would also need the same to happen on the neighboring property's but lets just say they are doing the same and all young bucks 3yr olds maybe 4yr olds get a pass.

Re: Smallest amount of land you would buy for hunting? [Re: iehooligan11b] #5325287 09/25/14 03:15 AM
S
Swimmer Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Originally Posted By: iehooligan11b
Everyone in here who owns all this land makes me jealous haha. I've been saving up deployment money to hopefully be able to get some land one day

flag

Re: Smallest amount of land you would buy for hunting? [Re: spoon33] #5325649 09/25/14 01:52 PM
E
EddieWalker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
I have 68 acres and on two sides there is 240 acres and on the other side there is 460 acres of open woods that are pine trees growing for timber production. There is very little hunting pressure on the surrounding land, which is very thick. I have a food plot and corn feeder going year round. I don't see very many deer, but the hogs can be pretty bad. I shoot a lot of hogs, but have never shot a deer in the last ten years that I've had the land. I've had legal bucks walk past me and feed in my food plot and corn, but nothing I wanted to shoot. Hog meat tastes better then deer meat, so I'm waiting for something that gets me excited.

The good thing about having a few acres is that I just walk out my back door to my blind, sit in it until it warms up and then walk back and enjoy my day or go to work. If I get home and there is still light out, I will go sit in my blind and see what's out and about. It's not what I would call great hunting, but it's a very nice feeling to not have to deal with driving anywhere to hunt or take the time off to be out in the field. I don't think there is such a thing as too small a place to hunt, it's all about being in the field and doing what you can with the land you have to bring the animals in. For me, it's a year round game that I enjoy.

Eddie

Re: Smallest amount of land you would buy for hunting? [Re: crooked horn] #5326120 09/25/14 06:34 PM
JohnRussell Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted By: crooked horn
This is only the second time I have felt compelled to comment on a subject since becoming a member: IMO the guy that owns 10 acres that borders a 1,000 acres is better off than the guy that owns a 1,000 surrounded by 10 acre tracts (low fence of course). I fully understand that we do not own the deer, but it is a horrible situation to manage deer that are killed the instant they jump the fence. I have 9 different properties that border mine, and all of them have "hunters" that reap the rewards of our hard work. I have tried to make my peace with it, but it is very hard to do.

You are making an assumption that us lowly owners that do not own 1000+ acres do not also work our land and manage the deer as well.

I have seen people that owned a few thousand acres and their idea of "working the land" was simply maintaining their corn feeders.

Large land owners do not have an exclusivity to hard work and good management.

I own 330 acres and I guarantee I spend a hell of a lot of money and time and sweat maintaining my land. I do not worry about the "ones that got away".. I worry about the coons and the deer stands and the lack of time I spend out there, even though I generally go out 1-2 times a month.

Russ

Hunting is easy..it's getting permission from your wife that is tough.
Re: Smallest amount of land you would buy for hunting? [Re: spoon33] #5326168 09/25/14 06:59 PM
K
Kenneth1977 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
We have 250 and thats is not really big enough to me but it is what we liked and the area and with it backing up to 6500 ac that was a big plus .

Re: Smallest amount of land you would buy for hunting? [Re: RossCravens] #5326772 09/26/14 12:57 AM
T
Twotoes Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
Originally Posted By: RossCravens
Originally Posted By: cameron00
Originally Posted By: Twotoes
I live on 90 acres, about 50 acres are nicely wooded. The property has a deep seasonal creek bed through the woods. I have large landowner neighbors on two sides and a county road on one side. 90 acres doesn't sound like much until you start walking the fence lines looking for tracks, sheds, etc. Nothing wrong with smaller properties. I can sit in my house with binoculars and watch one of the feeders.

That's my dream. You're living my dream.

Give it over, you thieving rat.

X2

Guys, I worked my life away, saved money, retired the end of May and moved to my place in June. It was a lifelong dream for me - but dreams don't just pop up and come true, you have to make it happen with a long view. Work your butt off, save money, and avoid bad decisions (as much as you can, I didn't avoid all of them). I'm 62 years old.
I'm just about to enjoy my first fall and first deer season with my new life.

You can do it, don't just dream it - work for it. If I can do this anyone can.

Past performance is the best predictor of future behavior.
Re: Smallest amount of land you would buy for hunting? [Re: spoon33] #5326824 09/26/14 01:23 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
^^^^^^^Love to hear stories like that. I hope you get to enjoy your land for many, many years to come!^^^^^

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Smallest amount of land you would buy for hunting? [Re: spoon33] #5326919 09/26/14 01:56 AM
T
Twotoes Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
Thanks Nogalus...

Past performance is the best predictor of future behavior.
Re: Smallest amount of land you would buy for hunting? [Re: EddieWalker] #5327696 09/26/14 03:43 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: EddieWalker
I have 68 acres and on two sides there is 240 acres and on the other side there is 460 acres of open woods that are pine trees growing for timber production. There is very little hunting pressure on the surrounding land, which is very thick. I have a food plot and corn feeder going year round. I don't see very many deer, but the hogs can be pretty bad. I shoot a lot of hogs, but have never shot a deer in the last ten years that I've had the land. I've had legal bucks walk past me and feed in my food plot and corn, but nothing I wanted to shoot. Hog meat tastes better then deer meat, so I'm waiting for something that gets me excited.

The good thing about having a few acres is that I just walk out my back door to my blind, sit in it until it warms up and then walk back and enjoy my day or go to work. If I get home and there is still light out, I will go sit in my blind and see what's out and about. It's not what I would call great hunting, but it's a very nice feeling to not have to deal with driving anywhere to hunt or take the time off to be out in the field. I don't think there is such a thing as too small a place to hunt, it's all about being in the field and doing what you can with the land you have to bring the animals in. For me, it's a year round game that I enjoy.

Eddie

Nicely put.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Smallest amount of land you would buy for hunting? [Re: spoon33] #5327732 09/26/14 04:07 PM
C
Cinch Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
We bought 82 acres a little over a year ago. Not a huge deer population, but we only have 1 blind, our feeder and a small few acre food plot. Not much hunting pressure on the surrounding land either. Yes, we eventually want more land, but it is a start and we are proud of what we have. I will take what I have any day over the lease I was on prior to buying this land. I had great fun at the lease, but there is something special knowing this is mine to do what I want

Last edited by hooked01; 09/26/14 04:07 PM.
Re: Smallest amount of land you would buy for hunting? [Re: passthru] #5328312 09/26/14 10:49 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: passthru
Originally Posted By: EddieWalker

Eddie

Nicely put.

cheers

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Smallest amount of land you would buy for hunting? [Re: Cinch] #5328317 09/26/14 10:53 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: hooked01
We bought 82 acres a little over a year ago. Not a huge deer population, but we only have 1 blind, our feeder and a small few acre food plot. Not much hunting pressure on the surrounding land either. Yes, we eventually want more land, but it is a start and we are proud of what we have. I will take what I have any day over the lease I was on prior to buying this land. I had great fun at the lease, but there is something special knowing this is mine to do what I want

Congrats on your accomplishment. I would be proud to have it as well. up

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide