Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics536,988
Posts9,719,173
Members86,987
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Can you guess what animal this is in the first 10 seconds of the video? #5321287 09/23/14 02:55 AM
HuntTXhogs Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker

What is the animal in the video
single choice
Votes accepted starting: 09/23/14 02:55 AM
Re: Can you guess what animal this is in the first 10 seconds of the video? [Re: HuntTXhogs] #5321293 09/23/14 02:57 AM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
Made my guess...

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Can you guess what animal this is in the first 10 seconds of the video? [Re: HuntTXhogs] #5322632 09/23/14 09:59 PM
S
Slow Drifter Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Placed my bet.

"I have no idea what WW-III will be fought with, but WW-IV will be fought with sticks and stones."

A. Einstein

Re: Can you guess what animal this is in the first 10 seconds of the video? [Re: HuntTXhogs] #5322650 09/23/14 10:08 PM
Txkiller Offline
the terminator
the terminator
Big raccoon I see them bastards through the thermal almost every night. realmad

Re: Can you guess what animal this is in the first 10 seconds of the video? [Re: HuntTXhogs] #5322776 09/23/14 11:28 PM
G
Gwood88 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
G
That walk is unmistakable. Raccoon.

Texas A&M Class of 2011
Re: Can you guess what animal this is in the first 10 seconds of the video? [Re: HuntTXhogs] #5322810 09/23/14 11:45 PM
S
Simple Searcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
What do I win?

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Can you guess what animal this is in the first 10 seconds of the video? [Re: HuntTXhogs] #5323187 09/24/14 02:36 AM
T
Texas buckeye Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I would have guessed a skinny raccoon, but then again, maybe the coons I see at my lease have just eaten too much of my corn bang

They make for fun target practice rifle

Re: Can you guess what animal this is in the first 10 seconds of the video? [Re: HuntTXhogs] #5323281 09/24/14 03:27 AM
HuntTXhogs Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
What is interesting to me is based on the responses so far it would seem the determination and "ID" of the animal isn't coming within the first 10 seconds of the video.

It is a neat way to illustrate some of the difficulties of getting used to seeing the world through a thermal eye, anybody here think they can tell me why it is DEFINITELY a coon based on only the first 10 seconds of footage?

Simple Searcher, there is no prize on round 1 of the game - this is the practice round wink

Re: Can you guess what animal this is in the first 10 seconds of the video? [Re: HuntTXhogs] #5323297 09/24/14 03:36 AM
Txkiller Offline
the terminator
the terminator
At 6 seconds I knew exactly what it was with the ears and the way he stood up to figure out what was going on, and that's coming from somebody that hunts with thermal religiously! up

Re: Can you guess what animal this is in the first 10 seconds of the video? [Re: Txkiller] #5323570 09/24/14 12:48 PM
HuntTXhogs Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: Txkiller
At 6 seconds I knew exactly what it was with the ears and the way he stood up to figure out what was going on, and that's coming from somebody that hunts with thermal religiously! up

Great point! I am just starting to figure out hunting with thermal, overall I have just shy of a years experience with it.

Common animal recognition isn't where i'd like it to be just yet.

Re: Can you guess what animal this is in the first 10 seconds of the video? [Re: HuntTXhogs] #5323770 09/24/14 02:39 PM
T
Texas buckeye Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Benny, I have seen a lot of coons at my place through thermal, so I had an educated guess it was a coon by the appearance of the ears and then when it stood on its back legs it was a give away for a coon.

It was confirmed later in the video by the walk and all that, but the ears really give it away. having said that, the body size of the coon looks really skinny compared to what I am used to seeing, and I looked at your answer list before watching, so it was a tough call in the initial 4 seconds between a fox or a coon (never have seen a ringtail cat before and the ole possum just has a different facial structure all together so I knew it wasn't that, seen plenty of them too) but the fox will have bigger ears compared to his head and that lead me to think it was a coon. Then at 6-7 seconds when it stands on its back legs was a tall tale giveaway for a coon, never have seen a fox do that, they will typically jump up from all four to see rather than stand up.

more time under the thermal will make you better at quick ID, but you do have to be careful you aren't seeing what you want to see vs what is actually there.

Re: Can you guess what animal this is in the first 10 seconds of the video? [Re: HuntTXhogs] #5324170 09/24/14 06:18 PM
Txkiller Offline
the terminator
the terminator
Originally Posted By: HuntTXhogs

Great point! I am just starting to figure out hunting with thermal, overall I have just shy of a years experience with it.

Body language is a good giveaway, I had a bobcat come in last night as soon as it came out if the treeline I knew exactly what it was. My biggest issue "sometimes" is judging distance especially on a piece of property I'm not familiar with. The cat came in to the call and I over shot em bang

Re: Can you guess what animal this is in the first 10 seconds of the video? [Re: Txkiller] #5324212 09/24/14 06:31 PM
T
Texas buckeye Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T

Body language is a good giveaway, I had a bobcat come in last night as soon as it came out if the treeline I knew exactly what it was. My biggest issue "sometimes" is judging distance especially on a piece of property I'm not familiar with. The cat came in to the call and I over shot em bang

Bingo. Even have a hard time sometimes on my own places I know pretty well. I had a triple coyote kill the other week, I would have had more had I known they were juveniles but I thought they were farther than they were due to their relative size and the location was a different place I normally hunt on my place. Having said that, body language told me they were young ones from after the first couple shots as they didn't all run away quickly, and the fact there were 6-7 of them tightly grouped together made me think it was a young group (although i have seen big packs of adults roaming together from a distance, most of the adult coyotes on my place are solitary or a couple). Still don't know the exact distance i was shooting at, but made adjustments and connected on three. Thank goodness for 30 round mags

Re: Can you guess what animal this is in the first 10 seconds of the video? [Re: Texas buckeye] #5324387 09/24/14 08:21 PM
HuntTXhogs Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: Texas buckeye

Bingo. Even have a hard time sometimes on my own places I know pretty well. I had a triple coyote kill the other week, I would have had more had I known they were juveniles but I thought they were farther than they were due to their relative size and the location was a different place I normally hunt on my place. Having said that, body language told me they were young ones from after the first couple shots as they didn't all run away quickly, and the fact there were 6-7 of them tightly grouped together made me think it was a young group (although i have seen big packs of adults roaming together from a distance, most of the adult coyotes on my place are solitary or a couple). Still don't know the exact distance i was shooting at, but made adjustments and connected on three. Thank goodness for 30 round mags

I am looking forward to testing out the latest Pulsar Digisight n850 LRF model.

LRF = Laser Range Finding

It is supposed to be built into the HUD on screen and give you a readout of distance to target at night.

This would appear to be a BIG addition to the hog slaying arsenal, to be able to detect with a thermal moncular, pull up the digi scope and be given an exact range to target

DRT..........

Re: Can you guess what animal this is in the first 10 seconds of the video? [Re: HuntTXhogs] #5324502 09/24/14 09:16 PM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I am looking forward to testing out the latest Pulsar Digisight n850 LRF model.

LRF = Laser Range Finding

It is supposed to be built into the HUD on screen and give you a readout of distance to target at night.

This would appear to be a BIG addition to the hog slaying arsenal, to be able to detect with a thermal moncular, pull up the digi scope and be given an exact range to target

DRT..........

They had a prototype at SHOT... It was sweet! A rangefinder on all night vision and thermal scopes should be a requirement. grin

In addition to distance being a challnge, I also find that determining the angle of the target can be difficult. up

Re: Can you guess what animal this is in the first 10 seconds of the video? [Re: dfwroadkill] #5324733 09/24/14 11:12 PM
B
Beckett Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
The Raccoon's stand up like that all the time where I hunt to see over the tall grass.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Re: Can you guess what animal this is in the first 10 seconds of the video? [Re: HuntTXhogs] #5325023 09/25/14 01:27 AM
B
blackcoal Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I would have thought a ringtailed cat, we used to shoot them around Christoval TX back in the 60s.

The Greatest Enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge.--Stephen Hawking
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide